(Topic ID: 98637)

!!*****Scammer Scare - Paypal Mess Up*****!!

By flashinstinct

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Pinfidel
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

angry-mob.jpg
    paypal-scam.jpg
    pp.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

PAYPAL MESSED UP. YOU GUYS DON'T NEED TO READ THE REST!
    So I was reading up on this paypal scam the other day that people fake the email that they sent you money. I was about to send a plastic to this guy this morning and finally decided to check my paypal account. No money in the account. Nothing received. I have to go into further details and call paypal this morning! If I am wrong I will apologize but I'm not getting this vibe right now.

#2 9 years ago

Here is the paypal in question. I have red inked my email and the potential scammers address until I call paypal this morning when they open. **name removed** just joined. Like I said I might be wrong.....but...

paypal-scam.jpgpaypal-scam.jpg

#3 9 years ago

This would be incredibly stupid of the guy to commit federal fraud over $8 and listing his name and address. Over $8? I just spent $8 at McDonalds on breakfast.

#4 9 years ago

Looks like a scam to me. Here's what a real one looks like. What's that bit at the bottom of yours about "button not working"?

Although, I suppose those could just be differences between US and Canada paypal...

pp.jpgpp.jpg
    #5 9 years ago

Actually $8 bucks is quite the right amount. People don't think twice about looking in their paypal account. It's also missing the transaction ID and the wording to check the details are different than other emails I have received. I know this guy was looking for a topper! He also told me he would buy my machine if I was closer.

#6 9 years ago

I would always recommend checking your PayPal account.

First, when the buyer sends you money you want to verify it has actually cleared. Second, PayPal only offer protection when you ship to a PayPal confirmed address, like the actual billing address of the person using the credit card or bank account.

Still good info, thanks for sharing.

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from Piparoo:

suppose those could just be differences between US and Canada paypal...

+1 this...

Just ask PayPal.... $8 is a silly scam if it was.

#8 9 years ago

The scam is not likely the $8, it is likely to get you to click "claim your money" and enter your password. That's when the real money comes in

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

The scam is not likely the $8, it is likely to get you to click "claim your money" and enter your password. That's when the real money comes in

I got caught that way myself, entering my password on a non-paypal site. But I realized what I had done immediately and changed my password before anything happened.

#10 9 years ago

Called Paypal this user is a SCAMMER!!!! BEWARE of **name removed**. Now can someone ban this guy!

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

Called Paypal this user is a SCAMMER!!!! BEWARE of ** name removed **. Now can someone ban this guy!

contact a mod

#12 9 years ago

I wouldn't jump the gun to fast. The same thing happened to me from a well known pinsider here a few weeks ago and I had already rush shipped the item. It turned out to be pay pals delay on updating the info.

#13 9 years ago

A few years ago I had a guy in france purchase some motorcycle parts from me. He sent me the fake paypal email saying he paid me. I of course looked and saw no payment.
    It was funny because he kept insisting he paid me and was wondering where his parts were.

#14 9 years ago

As a general rule, a seller should ALWAYS make sure they have received payment from PayPal before sending anything out.

#15 9 years ago

Guy keeps telling me this is a misunderstanding.....he's saying on his end that I have not claimed the funds.... we will see.... *elevator music*

#16 9 years ago

Could it be he's in the middle of a similar phishing scam, and he thought he was using the 'real' site to send you money when he had actually been phished, and the secondary scammer is trying to take you by way of setting him up as a stool pigeon?

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Could it be he's in the middle of a similar phishing scam, and he thought he was using the 'real' site to send you money when he had actually been phished, and the secondary scammer is trying to take you by way of setting him up as a stool pigeon?

I'm getting to the bottom of this now. Usually paypal communication starts with your first and last name... not this email.....it's says "Dear [my email]"...

I have verified that the guy does live at that address by doing a reversed address check up. So I am stumped right now.

#18 9 years ago

When you hover over the "Claim your money now", what url does it show? (without actually clicking it so you don't get tracked).

#19 9 years ago

On the phone with paypal again...apparently they are having some "glitches" with there system! Please wait for more...this guy might be legit.

#21 9 years ago

This is one of them instances where editing the thread title is a good thing to be able to do. Glad it's all legit.

#22 9 years ago

You may want to change the title of the thread and stop throwing him under the bus until you have all the facts.

#23 9 years ago

I'd probably take his name off the subject completely now.

#24 9 years ago

Wow... Just wow...

#25 9 years ago

OK so here is what happened. Paypal said they were having problems with their username system with an update they made. Apparently I'm the anomaly in the system. My primary email was reversed to my secondary email. So when nintendoguy1982 sent me the money it got defaulted to the email I had changed but my account was back to the old email. So when I received the email it was like I didn't have a paypal account. Hence this email at the top to "claim money".

In other words PAYPAL MESSED UP! Let me be the first to apologize to nintendoguy1982.

I was led to believe by paypal that this was fraudlulent.

#26 9 years ago

Same thing happened to me a few days ago. Totally on PayPal's side. Also the claim your money email is a legit PayPal email - you receive this version when it goes to your second email on file or a non-verified email address.

#27 9 years ago

Thanks for posting an update. Good to hear you have not been scammed by another Pinsider. That would have been a first (as far as I know) and I hope we can keep the counter at zero. I have replaced references to this users name from the thread, just to make sure no one doing a quick check on Google would find this poor Pinsider in association with a scam topic. I will also edit the topic url.

#28 9 years ago

Awwww...

angry-mob.jpgangry-mob.jpg

#29 9 years ago

Glad it worked out. You honestly had me a little nervous. I just sent out a Kate Spade bag I sold on eBay yesterday, and I started second guessing whether or not I had actually been paid for it. Turns out everything is just dandy.

#30 9 years ago

glad you got it worked out, flashinstinct. also glad to see a pinside member's name cleared. it's great to have an entire community of people with whom one can do business without fear of getting openly scammed.

#31 9 years ago

I even offered the guy a sticker sheet but he says he just wants the plastic. He's going to get one anyways!

#32 9 years ago

Wow didn't realize you threw all my legit information out there. Thanks for the apology as I am a legit buyer and have a great reputation on KLOV and was hoping to have a great rep here because I am new to pins. But hopefully all of my transactions are not this crazy.

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

I even offered the guy a sticker sheet but he says he just wants the plastic. He's going to get one anyways!

I'd send him a refund and send him the plastic.

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from Kevgascan:

I'd send him a refund and send him the plastic.

Even better. Refund sent. Plastic in the mail tonight!

#35 9 years ago

It's unfortunate this whole mix up occurred in the first place. But hey, stuff happens. Apologies have been extended and accepted and that all that matters.

No worries Nintendo, your slate is clean here bro. Welcome to the site and we'll see ya round the forums.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potential-scammer-alert and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.