Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

http://variety.com/2014/biz/news/warner-bros-conjures-up-harry-potter-global-franchise-development-team-1201271814/

It looks like Warner Brothers created a team to squeeze every dollar they can out of the Harry Potter Movie franchise. I know in the past people have stated that JK Rowling vetoed pinball but I am fairly certain that Warner Brothers actually controls merchandise that is tied to the Movies. JJ just acquired rights from Warner Brothers for the Hobbit so maybe HP is still possible! I have stated it a hundred times, this is the only theme that would get my whole family excited and I would buy it NIB site unseen.

#2 9 years ago

Couldnt agree more.....a hot property, and amazing theme for a pin....so much potential!

#3 9 years ago

5 pages of glorious Pinside speculation can be found right here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/harry-potter-in-jjps-future

(it was less about a month ago, so I think it's the right thing to link here)

#4 9 years ago

A Harry potter pin would have an instant place in our gameroom on account of my wife being a super fan.

#5 9 years ago

I only started this thread because of the link to the Variety article. The other thread has sort of turned into a debate on literature...

#6 9 years ago

I hope it was a discussion of how the books are so poorly written.

#7 9 years ago

HP is a textbook example of a sub-par generic fantasy, just another one of many such uninspired cliche generic fantasies, exactly with no difference whatsoever amongst them. The one thing in common is that they all are just very plain common and they all fall short of any writing talent and motivation save one, which is to mostly rake money, while being stupidly overcooked, predictable, and computerized. It's amazing how this HP thing took roots in our pop culture and has since continued to malaise the minds and imaginations of many a impressionable and vulnerable young people.

H.P. Mallory and team is a insult to J. R. R. Tolkien's fire, talent, and legacy.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from pins4fun:

HP is a textbook example of a sub-par generic fantasy, just another one of many such uninspired cliche generic fantasies, exactly with no difference whatsoever amongst them. The one thing in common is that they all are just very plain common and they all fall short of any writing talent and motivation save one, which is to mostly rake money, while being stupidly overcooked, predictable, and computerized. It's amazing how this HP thing took roots in our pop culture and has since continued to malaise the minds and imaginations of many a impressionable and vulnerable young people.
    H.P. Mallory and team is a insult to J. R. R. Tolkien's fire, talent, and legacy.

Geez. HP is not meant to be great literature. It is meant to be light entertainment and happens to be enjoyed by all ages.

Tolkien was a college professor, so yes, his work turned out to be great literature as intended.

#9 9 years ago

Harry Potter pin would be very cool. Lots of good material to draw from.

--Luke

#10 9 years ago

Yeah HP for sure. The pin zine had done a couple concept draw ups that seemed super cool. I bet it would help bring some younger people into pin as well..... think of all the modes?!?!?! could do a pin per book almost!

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from jamieflowers:

http://variety.com/2014/biz/news/warner-bros-conjures-up-harry-potter-global-franchise-development-team-1201271814/
    It looks like Warner Brothers created a team to squeeze every dollar they can out of the Harry Potter Movie franchise. I know in the past people have stated that JK Rowling vetoed pinball but I am fairly certain that Warner Brothers actually controls merchandise that is tied to the Movies. JJ just acquired rights from Warner Brothers for the Hobbit so maybe HP is still possible! I have stated it a hundred times, this is the only theme that would get my whole family excited and I would buy it NIB site unseen.

From what I have read, JK Rowling still has veto power over any and all merchandising related to the franchise. She has turned down several offers that would have made HUGE money, including McDonalds.

#12 9 years ago

didn't she turn down any thing related to alcohol and HP...I swear I read something she veto'd the pin because it has a drinking stigma to them.

#13 9 years ago

Harry Potter is THE theme for the current era that JJP nostalgically hoped WOZ would be. What WOZ was for its era HP is now. Since WoZ pinball is, by my account anyway, a success, HP would be a freaking monster. Price it right - and $8K is too high, $6,500 sweet spot - and you're talking ACDC territory and beyond. Especially if pinball really is growing, which it seems to be by many measures.

Maybe the programming required to integrate all the real video creates the need for a truly higher price. Of course Stern and PPS just charge it anyway because they can.

#14 9 years ago

Snape is the man. He was my favorite character in the books along with the Weasley twins. Plus he was excellent in Die Hard and Quiggley down Under

#15 9 years ago

and he was married to Trelawney in Love Actually...

2 years later
    #16 7 years ago

TAKE MY MONEY!

#17 7 years ago

Good things come to those who wait. Hoping this happens and is not screwed up.

Mike

#18 7 years ago

Being that this thread was started two yr ago yes there is a chance of seeing game 2017/18

3 weeks later
    #19 7 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

Being that this thread was started two yr ago yes there is a chance of seeing game 2017/18

Never wanted to own a JJP pin until now. WoZ has its detractors, but it's a beautiful all round game and now has developed code. Will definitely source a used game. The Hobbit doesn't interest me as a theme, but another beautiful looking game. If Harry Potter becomes a reality, I'd consider buying my first new in box Jersey Jack game. That artwork with all those film assets and potential for toys would be amazing.

#20 7 years ago

I would pre-order Harry Potter, Collectors Edition, sight unseen. I own WoZ and love it but this is my grail theme as it were.

#21 7 years ago

Hoping JJP #4 is Harry Potter!

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from GotAQuestion:

I would pre-order Harry Potter, Collectors Edition, sight unseen. I own WoZ and love it but this is my grail theme as it were.

I totally would too! However, my dream theme is being built, ALIEN! But, Harry Potter made by JJP.......shit.....I'm with you! Sign me up.

#23 7 years ago

The JJP angle is definitely part of the deal for me too. I love Stern games, but I think JJP does movies really well. Their design makes for a very cinematic feeling already.

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from GotAQuestion:

The JJP angle is definitely part of the deal for me too. I love Stern games, but I think JJP does movies really well. Their design makes for a very cinematic feeling already.

Yep, I'm a Stern fanboy for their fast addictive games that keep you coming back for more. I love games like Tron, Metallica, The Walking Dead, Ghostbusters and Iron Man. On this occasion, Harry Potter has JJP written all over it.

#25 7 years ago

Not one person that appears to "know things" about JJP has denied that it is one of the future themes planned. Still wishful hoping!

#26 7 years ago

JJP!!! Take my money!!!

#27 7 years ago

I would bet that JJP has the Harry Potter license and that their work on WOZ and TH helped convince the license holder to trust JJP with it (plus a hefty license fee, lol).

#28 7 years ago

I sure hope not. Another has been theme from too long ago.

#29 7 years ago

A new movie just came out not quite two months ago and the last book was printed in 2007??????????????

#30 7 years ago

I thought it was over 15 years ago when my kid was little. Even then it was starting to get a little stale. I guess they know a cash cow when they see it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potential-hope-for-a-harry-potter-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.