(Topic ID: 242867)

PoTC - Who has playfield cracking & wear around sling posts?

By harryhoudini

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,006 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinDeadHead
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What kind of issues are you seeing?”

• I have visible dimples but no chipping 47 votes
    22%
  • I can see chipping but haven't done anything yet 69 votes
    32%
  • I can see chipping and installed mylar, washer and/or larger star post 33 votes
    15%
  • My playfield looks fine (but I haven't removed the star posts) 33 votes
    15%
  • I removed the star posts and my playfield looks fine 16 votes
    7%
  • My game had clear washers installed from the factory 16 votes
    7%

(Multiple choice - 214 votes by 202 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8a08956226ce33ab4cbce84ac85256fac4d2c495 (resized).jpg
272de6fede9fee8a8547778ad012df344b85326e (resized).jpg
20200319_164738 (resized).jpg
AEF37959-C604-4A07-B193-2416A6A62929 (resized).jpeg
F10537D7-D970-4859-B5C9-CF482DF29BFA (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200320_103742 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200320_101453 (resized).jpg
917EEAC5-4AC1-4204-BDA8-5497FFCB4BAC (resized).jpeg
83458836-4863-4833-8D88-F5A9E65F9517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3627 (resized).jpeg
20200127_171934 (resized).jpg
Shocked.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
potc2_5234 (resized).jpg
3FC99A16-7187-44B6-811B-16DD827ABC65 (resized).jpeg
20200125_090027 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #306 Sling Post Remediation Efforts #1 Posted by harryhoudini (4 years ago)

Post #307 Sling Post Remediation Efforts #2 Posted by harryhoudini (4 years ago)

Post #432 Washer and Starpost Solution Posted by harryhoudini (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zaphX.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

The outcome of how they handle this will surely determine
whether I buy another one of their machines, period!

It's not specific to JJP, see the TNA thread. I'm really not concerned about this myself, since the damage was easily hidden with a post swap. Life is too short to freak out about this, and the game is so fun to play that it's hard to be upset about any of it.

#48 4 years ago

I suggest changing the title of this thread:

1. Remove mention of "dimples" as that is a standard unavoidable pinball issue.
2. Replace "star" with "sling" as the default sling posts are the ones we're discussing, right?

#166 4 years ago

I recommend everyone who is hysterical about this issue to sell their game immediately. Demand is high. Move on and don't let it trouble you.

Meanwhile, I'm going to keep playing mine. With the plays my wife and I put on it daily I fully expect it to look like that routed machine at some point.
It's sure as shootin' not going to hamper my enjoyment.

#167 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Dang, don't mess it up! But... another good data point. JJPs remediation in the factory to install metal washers now leaves you with a frozen washer on the playfield, likely to cause damage removing it. Not good.

To their credit, if they glued a metal washer to the playfield you can be certain that sucker is not going to chip.

#201 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Faulty posts!
It's NOT okay!
I guess everyone is blind...

Sell your damn machine. Please.

#204 4 years ago

Yes, it sucks this is happening. Obviously none of us want the playfields to chip. The reality is that it's happening, and it's not unique to JJP.

Ask yourself the following questions:

1. Do you love playing your game? (If not, sell it as there are people who want to.)
2. Do you want JJP to succeed?

In my view, this whole thread ought to be drained. All it's doing is whipping people into a frenzy and trying to get a mass riot going against JJP, which is going to hurt them and ultimately, ourselves.

Yes this situation sucks. Is covering the damage with wider posts or washers a reasonable solution? I say that it is.

#211 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Drain the thread? Are you kidding me? Do you work for JJP or have some sort of connection with them?

No. Just a customer like everyone else.

#243 4 years ago
Quoted from FryDaddy:

Well it is happening to my CE also.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Green star posts look pretty sweet to cover it on the CE. This machine is using the rubber washers I believe.
454F90A9-40D7-4930-9073-7BD71AA45D90.jpeg454F90A9-40D7-4930-9073-7BD71AA45D90.jpegBD11578B-5B77-4A4F-A359-7A1CBCF6D5A8.jpegBD11578B-5B77-4A4F-A359-7A1CBCF6D5A8.jpeg

D0DD1CE1-F91E-48EF-BB50-4A720D84182C (resized).jpegD0DD1CE1-F91E-48EF-BB50-4A720D84182C (resized).jpeg958EA63C-4176-43EE-A5E4-ED25D17E0FBB (resized).jpeg958EA63C-4176-43EE-A5E4-ED25D17E0FBB (resized).jpeg
#272 4 years ago

I am trying a few things

1 - I am trying double star posts, where the sling channel is lower than the single star post. See the comparison the pinballlife folks helpfully provided.
2 - If I still get escaped sling kickers, I will then remove the washers and do the mylar discs. For now I’d like to keep them, as I feel the padding is a positive thing.

F745D908-1AA9-4F86-8C5C-09CDD1B865D3 (resized).jpegF745D908-1AA9-4F86-8C5C-09CDD1B865D3 (resized).jpeg
#277 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

What washers are you currently using? I know the gummy ones from amazon are a no go.

The gummy ones from Amazon.

#284 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Will you have this done and tested today?

Unless PinballLife puts them on a one hour flight to me, no. When they arrive I will report.

#360 4 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Has anyone thought to cut the clear down to the wood, remove the clear off the wood, bevel the edge then use epoxy to fill in the void and create a hard pad that locks the CC edge down and lets the post sit at original height, no adjustments needed? The epoxy could also be replaced with a polyester resin maybe, but either way, you use a harder clear “filler” that doesn’t deform under pressure as bad as the original CC? If I have a NIB sling do this to me in the future, I might try it on a single post and see what happens.

b2e4d59001f67400bbcc46e15be2bbc001f07bfe05c7c60a2f473b8dae6dd78a (resized).jpgb2e4d59001f67400bbcc46e15be2bbc001f07bfe05c7c60a2f473b8dae6dd78a (resized).jpg
#376 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

That’s what I was thinking. As long as these are not the sort of thing that was causing the reaction with the star post that zaphX was experiencing.

Mine actually are not reacting yet, and I'm sticking with them for a while. The TNA folks had some chemical reaction issues.

#379 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Thanks zaphX. You did use silicone though didn’t you?

Yes.

For some reason the link to my original order now goes to a stainless steel washer which I did not use.

They were "Silicone Water Pipe Connector Seal Ring Gasket Washer 18x8x2.5mm (Pack of 40)"

#381 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Ok. So similar dimensions to these which are 9mmx19mmx3mm. Apologies for now coming back to your solution from months ago. Was thrown off by the possible reactivity thing and the height change affecting sling performance thing. Are you still going for the double star post or are you all ok? To me this is a solution that will not dent the playfield so it is totally reversible if JJ ever come back with an official solution.

Waiting for the double posts to arrive. I will line them up with the originals (bare) and the single stars (washered) so we can see how they compare height wise.

#383 4 years ago

OH DANG, I thought you used the rubber ones. I can't freaking imagine how silicone and plastic are reacting. I mean, titan rubbers are silicone.

Well for me, they aren't. The TNA folks reported it. Maybe they used a different product.

#385 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

That’s the problem with these issues going on for so long... we start going round and round!!! I will order them anyway. zaphX if the sling height is not altered by the double, is it enough of a problem to make star posts with these washers unusable?

I've had a half dozen sling escapes and two balls caught in the slings since I did it. I won't know if it works until they arrive, so chill!

#427 4 years ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

I'd do the gummy ones ZaphX uses but we know for sure they leave indentations, my hope is the rubber ones don't. We know for sure they did well in TNA, though.

My take is that anything is going to leave indentations. The clear is soft and the effect is the same depth as a ball dimple.

Those posts take a lot of shock from the repeated violent vibrations.

#437 4 years ago

Maybe. But if so that's still a small price for success. My concern with the gummies is that they might have been too maleable and allowed the starposts to lightly press down into the clear when tightened down.
My hope is the rubber ones keep the starposts from making contact with the playfield at all no matter what the impact, putting the pressure on the playfield from the rubber and the rubber alone.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

All I know is, the depressions and the chipping are 100% hidden under the star posts so I am really not as twisted about this as the rest of the thread seems to be.

My only concern is solving the escaped kickers on the slings because that's annoying AF. Hoping the lower position on the double star posts will solve it, if not I will try different rings.

#441 4 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

FWIW I had some sling escapes;
I initially tried slightly smaller white rubber rings; if anything this made things like airballs worse.
Then I tried dialing down the sling power more, and more; still getting some extreme sling action rarely (e.g. during multiballs). Eventually I have switched both slings back to the titan rubbers the game shipped with.
This plus low sling power seems okay for now! I have not noticed the slings being wimpy.

I'm using Titans. Just ordered some PerfectPlay and will try those. I never saw the escapes until the post mod.

#447 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

To your point, wouldn't this happening PRETTY MUCH instant kill any potentially amazing game that you're having?
Not fun...

Obviously

#463 4 years ago
Quoted from CollinT:

Just checked the JJPOTC at Boxcar in Raleigh, it’s #183 LE. It’s got the same issue.
Disclaimer: I do not own this machine and just want to help with other people’s issues
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That's a CE not an LE! Wow, surprised to see a CE on location.

#492 4 years ago

Ok, I got my double star posts. I compared the height with the originals.

You can see here: original post, double star with silcone washer, and star with silicone washer. The channel on the double star is almost perfectly where the original post channel was.

I am pretty happy with this and hopefully this is case closed.

IMG_1002.jpegIMG_1002.jpegIMG_1003.jpegIMG_1003.jpegIMG_1004.jpegIMG_1004.jpeg
#525 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Would you be able to make another poll, regarding what solutions/fixes people are undertaking?
Like nekkid, mylar, lexan washer and star post, all three, etc?

Argh can’t we let this topic rest? The solutions are well documented at this point.

#589 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

People posted issues - IF they found any, as just like any complex machine, sporadic issues crop up and if someone gets the pin they might have a similar issue and the info was consolidated by zaphx so people could find the answer in case they had a repeat problem that someone else had a solution for.
Fast forward to today, and because of a handful of people beating a dead horse, posting the same things over and over, and in some cases even trying to seemingly manufacture more people having issues than actually are, there is this notion that JJPOTC is a problem ridden pin and the sky is falling.

All I wanted to do with that guide was to help people find their fixes quickly so they could enjoy this stellar game...and hopefully reduce repeat posts by pulling together the list in one place.

I do worry that it gives an unfair impression to people that you're going to see ALL the problems on the list, even though many of them are definitely one-offs.

So yeah, maybe in the end it was a bad idea. Hopefully it helped a few people and/or averted a few support calls.

#607 4 years ago

So far I've had no hammer escapes since switching to the lower slot on double star posts+silicone washers.
Will update if that changes but I'm optimistic it's fixed.

#609 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Are your slings just as active as stock?

I had to adjust the leaf holders a bit after the star posts, after that, yes.

#653 4 years ago

I think OP should put the double posts with Lowe's or gummy washer as THE official fix.

I've been saying that for a while

#658 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Is anyone concerned about how the neoprene Lowe's washers might react with the starposts?
Are you guys putting mylar under also?

The posts are like 70 cents. Buy spares. Worry less.

#662 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Is the double star post the same diameter as the single at the base?

Yes

#679 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

I’m learning more and more that you have to actually put in some time and work if you truly want a flawless dialed in game.
My AFMr works great, but that doesn’t mean there wasn’t 10 things I could do to make it better.
As for Pirates, I’m itching closer to a “perfect” game. Working on the disc silencer mod (I failed the first time, but I think it was my fault), audio, pesky plunger... Played on-site last night plunged 10-15 times to test and the forks moved ever so slightly if not at all every time and the plunder had great speed/power. I have to get this figured out.
Anyways, back on topic...

Forks shouldn't move at all when plunged. Prop the playfield hooks as already documented. Easy fix.

#681 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Or just loosen the three screws for the shooter assembly and shift it within the cabinet as needed. Easiest fix I've had so far!

Yeah sometimes doing that still doesn't give you enough clearance though.

#686 4 years ago

Well, shit. Ok, I guess different rubbers next.

I got some translucent “perfect play” ones from I think Pinball Life.

D627A8FE-F148-4A38-8F62-118384E7E6A0.jpegD627A8FE-F148-4A38-8F62-118384E7E6A0.jpeg
#702 4 years ago

They just look worn to sh-+
Nothing lasts forever.
New rubbers sound like a plan..

This game gets a LOT of love in our house. At our current rate I expect to hit 10k plays by the end of the year, which means it has paid for itself.

#705 4 years ago

I have about 359 plays on mine..I'm just a few behind

My wife puts in a lot of time on it. If I have to clean it or something, I have to schedule those events when she’s at work.

I am really gald she loves it like I do. It has made pinball purchases easier to make.

#753 4 years ago

I seriously hate to add to this thread because it’s already a shitshow, but...

My wife had a simple question while discussing the chipping issue. “Why don’t they clear-bra it like cars?”

That...actually struck me as a really good idea. Those things are thick, durable, and would probably affect gameplay less than a “floating” playfield protector would. In fact, it’s not all that different from the mylars already in place.

Is this a thing anyone has ever tried in pinball? Bad idea?

And NO Joseph, please do not take this as a suggestion that you strip your playfield and start applying XPEL to it.

#756 4 years ago

What would you think the difference is between the clear bra material and entire playfield protectors? I think from a practical standpoint clearbra is supposed to let things bounce off it. I think you want something harder for a playfield protector. Either way, isn't that just a playfield protector? I have one sitting here for my TOM, seems like what you/she means.
Why would any of those things protect the playfield from sharp edged posts?

The playfield protector is not adhered to the art like a clear bra would be. Also it looks like different material; clear bra stuff is a thick adhesive plastic and can be “healed” with heat where the playfield protector looks like a loose sheet of something.

I’m genuinely curious how a clearbra’d playfield would play. I certainly love the stuff on the front of my car.

#766 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

While I still don't think it would work it actually peels off Very easy. I have installed this on all of my cars and it is close to bullet proof. Well, rock proof anyway...

Yeah on a car it can be removed and replaced without damaging the clear. However, the removal requires steam which is not something that makes a pin happy.

#767 4 years ago

Actually, it now looks like they're both about the same. Noticed an uptick in airballs recently with the rubber. Going to order some new black Titans and possibly some me perfectplays, if only to see how I like the difference.

I got an escaped sling hammer on my double stars last night w/ titans. I’ve put on the perfect plays and we’ll see how they do.

#771 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

OK, not sure if this will help but looking at the mechanics of the slings it looks like a possible simple solution to eliminate the escape hammer. The problem is many are changing the OEM plastic posts to a larger diameter which moves the sling rubber ring 1/8" plus further away from the sling arm allowing it to sweep further down and under. My suggestion would be to add 1-2 washers under each of the 4 mount holes in the (item 2) crank mtg bracket. In doing so you would pivot the arm back slightly and push it's angle back a few degrees. I would also consider Stretching the (item 6) spring to give it more rebound. All theory but I suspect it would help.[quoted image]

yeahsciencebitch.PNGyeahsciencebitch.PNG
#795 4 years ago

In any event, I really hope they put in 1.0 an option to dial the slings the heck down from 16 to like....8...

I have resisted turning down the slings. I feel like sling power and flipper strengths are part of the designer's "vision" for how the game should play, and I really don't like to mess with that if I can help it.

#798 4 years ago

Omg...try out Ghostbusters Premium flippers at factory settings and see the pinball explode the glass it's going so airball after it goes airborne off the right flipper/ramp combo and tell me if that vision needs dialed back a bit.. not literally but darn near almost

Well it's no secret Ghostbusters is a complete mess.

POTC was crafted with love.

#873 4 years ago

PerfectPlays were looking good. THey are wearing well and seem to hold less dirt!

But then I got a sling escape . Back to the drawing board.

Still like em though.

#894 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Has anyone found after putting double star posts on that the ball now has trouble rolling into the “A” lane? It seems to get briefly caught between the top right starpost and the other post to the right (the post between the “A” and the “T”). I don’t know if I have to try and move the starpost over a fraction of a millimeter or change the other post. Damn. I was getting fewer air balls and no hammer escapes.

No, but when I installed it I made sure the posts were as far from the lane as possible for this reason.

#913 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Have to be honest, it’s rather disappointing that they either don’t really give a shit or think we are incredibly stupid.

I would assume positive intent here. All the JJP folks have been nothing but helpful to me. They want us to enjoy their games.

#929 4 years ago

Everyone seriously needs to calm down in this thread. Jeez.

#932 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

This isn’t the owners thread. Right? Where should people discuss issues or if a company stands behind their product? Oh that’s right...they shouldn’t discuss those things at all....Jeez is right....

They’ve made a very reasonable effort to make it right. It’s not realistic to expect more than this.

I really hope as people get their kits this thread cools off and people go enjoy their games. Or sell them. Lots of people want them if this issue is such an outrage.

#944 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

OK look. I never said the machine would implode, be worth zero or kill someone. Lol. What I am saying is the reasonable way MOST warranties work when dealing with a manufacturer defect. IMO it should cost the customers zero or next to nothing to get this fixed because the customers had nothing to do with causing the issues. And should we really have to send our new PFs out to be redone on a machine that cost 10-12K? No one forced JJP to charge these high prices. The cost can’t just be about deep code and taking risks in new pinball designs. Build quality and good warranties have to be included at these prices.

You don't appear to own this machine, so are you just here to stir the pot?

#965 4 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

Been following this thread as I am an owner of a POTC and I feel I want to post my opinion. For me a pinball machine is in no way comparable to any other machine. There are freaking heavy STEEL balls being shot with force into the components of the playfield and over a wooden playfield with just paint on it for crying out loud. If you guys cannot handle the fact that this will damage things, you better should find another hobby or just buy the game and not play it.
As I see how many times I have read the same things over and over again - not only in this thread by the way but in many many many others - it should be obvious by now that this is normal in pinball. Throwing a heavy ball around will damage things !
Of course I am not talking about excessive ghosting or the excessive crackling of some playfields as those were clearly a problem that should not have happened and as such they have been handled. But now I feel you guys are constantly scrutinising every aspect of the game and it must stay perfect. It just does not work that way.
For the clear coat specialists: try throwing the same pinball at your car a few times and show me there is no dimpling or crackling occuring. Good luck with that. JJP is doing more than they are supposed to just to make you guys feel better as they know they need the collector market, but they cannot give away their complete margins just to satisfy people that should play the game instead of looking for things that will inevitably happen. That is the nature of pinball.
Again, my opinion. Play more and just have fun people, just like generations before you that did not mind that the game got some character in its lifetime.

This has been my feeling about the whole thing. You've expressed it far better than I did.

#1143 4 years ago

Just asking, do you guys ever play the game or just seek out things to obsess about?

#1189 4 years ago

I have playfield cracks and wear around more than just the slings. This is getting a bit out of hand.
You nay sayers still ok with this?

If you keep looking for problems, you're going to keep finding them.

I advise one of two courses of action:

1. Play the game. Get the spare playfield, and don't let any blemish, scuff, chip or crack bother you.
2. Sell it. It will be snapped up quickly and you'll have a stressor out of your life.

As a fan of playing the game, I suggest #1.

#1193 4 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Could get a spare and have one of the masters clear it, and have an amazing swap down the line.

Plus technology may improve by the time you want to swap it.

4 weeks later
#1407 4 years ago

This whole thread has gone totally batshit crazy.

harryhoudini you bought a used (and ROUTED) machine - the fact you’re getting any support AT ALL is a gift. And you want to rally the pitchforks and start a class action lawsuit?

Look, obviously the chipping sucks and none of us want this to happen to our machines. But let’s be reasonable people about this.

Is it reasonable to expect them to order POTC parts, build up fully populated playfields, and ship them out for swaps? Absolutely not. I hate to use a cargument, but that’s like expecting Honda to send you an entirely new car because of a scratch on a door.

When the cost of producing and shipping a thing is high, the remedy is going to be repair rather than replacement. That’s just reality folks.

So far I think JJP has been extremely reasonable in addressing this. They put out a service bulletin on the issue, put out parts to work around it, and as an extra measure have offered discounted playfields to those who request them. In my view they’ve done everything they can do.

These machines are toys. They are not life or death, nor will they stay perfect and pristine forever. The purpose of them is to add joy to your life. Period. That is literally what they are designed to do. If you’re stressing out and obsessing about issues, friggin sell the thing and get it out of your life! Prices on POTC are still high and you’ll get a good return. Find something else where the happiness/stress ratio works better for you.

When things go wrong - and inevitably things do from time to time, this is pinball - being reasonable about it will get you better results than going full aggro outrage.

Have some empathy and common sense.

#1411 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Seriously ZaphX I did not downvote you. Why come here and make things toxic?

You don’t see it as toxic already?? I sure do, which is what moved me to post. I knew I’d get downvotes from the deranged pitchfork mob here. I did it anyway because someone has to stand up for common sense.

#1420 4 years ago

The notion that JJP is "getting away with shit" as if they engineered this intentionally and are scheming to ruin your experience is what I take issue with.

If you have empathy and see the other side of the issue you will see that they are doing what they can to do right by their customers.

#1421 4 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

zaphx I don’t think you have contributed anything positive to this discussion or topic as a whole, but your entitled to your opinion and to me, that all your statements are... opinions...sorry, but not sorry

Fair enough. I'll probably re-drain the thread and ignore the ringleaders hell-bent on spreading negativity.

Enjoy your outrage! I'll enjoy my games.

1 week later
#1545 4 years ago

So...basically it's exactly as I said all along.

- Full populated playfield swaps are NOT reasonable (this would be way too costly)
- The existing offer for a discounted playfield is a reasonable compromise
- Getting ANY offer/support as a second owner (and therefore out of warranty) is a gift from JJP.

Put the post kit in and forget about it, or if you can't deal sell the game.

I'll be downvoted (again) for this, but there's a reality factor in play here that many people in this thread are ignoring.

#1549 4 years ago

Let me post a succinct response:
- I didn't ask for a populated playfield swap. It's not unreasonable, but I am asking for a fair solution.

Apologies, it must have been someone else demanding that in the thread and I lumped it in erroneously.

I genuinely want to know, what IS a fair solution in your view? What would satisfy you?

#1555 4 years ago

About those playfields and the fingernail test - if I were to get one (I haven't ordered one yet, but might) I'd store it somewhere flat for a year or more. Let it cure and cure and cure some more.

#1556 4 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

Also, this is not a JJP-only issue. It's happening with other vendors as well.

And that is exactly why I'm against torches and pitchforks for JJP. They got caught in this like everyone did, and they are at least providing a workaround and replacement program.

#1586 4 years ago

Man, I just saw this post. That's pretty lame.
What ties do you have to JJP? Cause god damn you're sure a apologist for them. There sure are some suspect opinions around here.
They got caught up in nothing aside from poor quality control and manufacturing issues they created. If anything they got caught up in allowing suppliers to provide them substandard items without proper validation procedures. As if they were some sort of caustality in the boat with the rest of us, pshaw. Poor form.

No ties. I'm just empathetic. They are a growing business, and setbacks like this can be catastrophic.

If the playfield was sanding off everywhere, I'd be more upset. So far it's localized to the posts which can be hidden from view, so I'm ok with it. Not thrilled mind you, obviously all we want solid playfields, but I can deal.

I honestly believe the folks at JJP want to do right by their customers and want them to be happy.
I do believe their playfield offer is a reasonable one, but we disagree on that point and that's fine.

I also think you catch more flies with honey than with legal threats (which immediately shut any company down and put them into defense mode.)

#1590 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

There is some reason to this, but if it's the same issue with wonka?

I guess the impedance mismatch here is that I am ok "meeting them halfway" because I want them to keep making great pinball machines. Not everyone in the thread is. I do respect your opinions and emotions on the issue.

I strongly suspect the $550 playfield offer is cost. If they were to give those free, to all 1000 buyers, that is a $550k loss.

I'm sure we all agree what a great game POTC is, otherwise everyone would be dumping them and moving on.
Do you want to make the best pinball game made in the last decade a complete financial failure for them?

#1597 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

The lost sales really manifests itself when they lose someone who buys every nib game from them or really any repeat customer.
I believe HH stated there are about 83 pinsiders participating in this thread with varying degrees of damage.

Well, I was one of those - I voted (honestly) "had chipping, covered with posts."

And then I bought two Wonkas, so...

#1607 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

So....you really must feel sorry for JJP I guess, very high level of empathy to do such a thing.

Eh, it’s not a huge stressor for me so yeah I guess I do.

#1630 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Does the JJP kit include washer/protectors for the single bare posts (like the I lane)?
If so, could someone post a pic and size?

IMG_1177.jpegIMG_1177.jpegIMG_1178.jpegIMG_1178.jpegIMG_1179.jpegIMG_1179.jpeg
#1632 4 years ago
Quoted from mjruser:

I'm not HEP, but this seems like doggy logic to me, perhaps I'm wrong.

shutterstock_184417925.jpgshutterstock_184417925.jpg
#1693 4 years ago

I’m a JJP zealot for trying to get people to put down the pitchforks and use some logic, heh. OK. So be it.

Another pinball friend emailed me today and said I’ll never win over the pinside lynch mob. He’s right.
This thread is the equivalent of a political rally, bunch of people shouting loudly without using their heads.

#1731 4 years ago

It seems somehow like that would be better, I'd have sold some to recoup my costs and maybe go out to dinner with the wife.

So let's say for argument's sake there were 1000 SEs in the world and you made rocks for all of them. You took the wife out to a great dinner and felt positive about your success. The customers love them.

Then suddenly, people start noticing one of the mounts cracking. It's in an out of the way place, and due to the texture on the piece you really don't even notice the crack after fixing it with a dab of super glue. Unfortunate, but not the end of the world for most people.

Someone decides this is an outrage and they want a full new replacement piece. You'd probably be willing to do that, but instead of approaching you directly, Spartacus decides to make multiple posts about it, calling for community outrage and even threatening legal action.

Now what? You can't help the original person any more because he's telling his mob everything you say. What would you do?

#1737 4 years ago

I was relaying all this drama to a non-pinball friend and they had a very astute observation.

"it's darkly amazing to me how much effort people will put into organizing 'outrage' against a pinball arcade machine defect when we have so many more important causes in this world."

36e63x.jpg36e63x.jpg
#1742 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

And right on cue there’s the minimizing and trivialization.

Honestly at this point I'm just trying to add some levity

#1743 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

So very well said and I couldn’t agree more. Everyone is absolutely entitled to an opinion and a difference of opinion shouldn’t be blown into thinking the other person is horrible or even wrong. Often just agreeing to disagree is the way it should go.
Different people have different feelings about issues and different approaches to trying to get them resolved and that should be okay. One person might understandably think the machine they paid many thousands for should be pretty much issue free going out the factory door. Another person with the same issue might understandably think that’s just pinball. Nobody is wrong though. I’m not looking for anything more than advice from JJP. Other people are looking for other resolutions. Nobody is wrong though. It’s just different approaches.
I think we all love pinball and just want it to be fun. Sometimes reality gets in the way of that for a couple minutes and people want to just share their experience of an issue they’re having with the game or the company. That should be okay also.
My two cents is that where feelings get elevated is when one person tries to explain away or minimize an issue another person is having. It’s fine to have the opinion that someone is overreacting to a problem or that they should be handling their problem a different way, but before writing that out maybe put yourself in that other person’s shoes and think about how you’d react if you got a message with an unsolicited opinion saying a problem you have isn’t that big a deal or you’re being unreasonable or wrong in what you’re requesting to have the problem addressed.
I’ve shared my experience with JJP and that’s all I was looking to do. Now back to pinball. I’ve got one machine down but I’ve still got another one running and it’s been getting a lot of great play as it takes on the extra attention it’s getting while the other one rests for now.

A very balanced response, IMO. And yes, back to pinball!

#1744 4 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

While that point of view may be accurate, it’s also extremely hypocritical. If this is your perspective you need to sell all your pinball machines (and all other luxuries) and use that money to feed the homeless.
Their (your) comment was just a cheap shot at people who are legitimately upset about not getting what they paid for. I’m sure you have had that concern sometime in the past. Turn down the self righteousness.

You know, you're right. (not sarcasm.)

I got into this forum intending to be a positive member and I may have gotten a bit too snarky WRT this issue.

I'm going to butt out of this thread...again.

I do sincerely hope everyone is able to make peace with the playfield situation - one way or another - and get back to enjoying this amazing game. Hopefully one day soon our POTC chatter is about strategies to reach and defeat the "Break the Curse" wizard mode.

#1751 4 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

Seriously let it go. People are allowed to be disappointed with the way the play field situation has been handled. Give it a rest already.

I am, I have, and honestly I apologize to everyone on the thread.

These machines do represent substantial investments for all of us.
The chipping is real, and it sucks for everyone involved (including the manufacturers.)

I was able to get over it since mine was hideable with star posts, but others might not be so lucky if their damage is worse.

My initial goal with my protests was to try and encourage a spirit of compromise. I'm sorry that I've strayed from that.

I do hope the issues are resolved in a way that bring everyone peace and enjoyment with their machines.

#1758 4 years ago
Quoted from DougPiranha:

I know of my game and a friends and both are bubbling and chipping on almost every post touching the playfield.
No more purchase from JJP till it’s figured out. Why buy a ww if it’s gonna bubble and chip.
Also why buy a replacement if it’s also likely to fail?

My thinking on that is that doing the parts swap to the new playfield is an event for years down the road. Surely by then the clear is hardened and cured.

My plan would be to store it flat in climate-controlled conditions and do the fingernail test a year or so in the future.

#1825 4 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

It's funny, I know, but I feel the opposite. I love this hobby and I appreciate the innovation JJP brings (and the risks they take). I LOVE their games. I want JJP to be successful long term, and I'm prepared to help support them. But of course, I'd rather buy high-quality, expensive games without issues versus buying expensive replacement parts.

I do think we are trending up in that regard. Wonka worked out of the box perfect for me and (I believe) for most. I haven't heard many OOTB mechanical issues.

#1827 4 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Here's a pic from the other thread about a different issue. However if you look *real* close you'll see the clear puddling around the base of those two posts. Once again it looks like they were not cured fully before they put them into production. Hard to believe only a few PF's would show this out of the entire lot. Could you post a close up of your PF where some of those skinny posts are located?[quoted image]

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was referring to them coming out of the box -mechanically- better. Mine worked without a single tweak OOTB which has been the case for most people based on the low volume of tech threads on Wonka.

I wasn't speaking to the playfields, which is admittedly dumb in a playfield complaint thread.

#1847 4 years ago

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if all this was due to rushing things into production without enough cure time.

I remember seeing a Stern factory video with racks of playfields stored flat, waiting for their cure date.

#1854 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Ugh. Bottom posts? How many plays?
I'm considering getting double stars and neoprene for the other slings too. I don't want to buy another playfield.
I am at the point of a divorce, more so than digging deeper.

What I used:

https://www.pinballlife.com/plastic-translucent-double-star-posts-1-116-tall.html

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DKKR3XI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00

You will have to adjust the leaf holders for the sling switches slightly after doing this, as they won't be reponsive after the switch.

This hid the problem and put it out of my mind. I hope it does for you as well.

#1856 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Did you use these for the BP slings underneath and the starmap too, or just the lower slings?
I did the lower two. Just figure I'd rather buy for the other slings if necessary. I don't want to have to pay of a mistake not my own.
Thanks for the input Derek!

I only did this for the slingshots (all 3 posts on each.)

The other posts are not damaged, for me.

#1874 4 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

They will have none of that logical conservative stuff here.

Can you guys keep politics out of our pinball fun?

I come here to escape that stuff.

#1907 4 years ago
Quoted from mjruser:

Highly unlikely with the limited numbers sold, R&D (and parts) cost of this complex machine, cost of the Disney licensing and such. You'd think with the demand if it was profitable it would be re-released. Why would they suddenly stop production? Perhaps after they started making them the labor costs were finally known and when added to the parts costs they said oh poop.

I don’t think it had to do with profitability. I’m sure that was thought out well in advance of production.

My theory is simple. People pulled orders due to the mech nerfs. Parts orders were reduced accordingly. The game hit the street and surprise! It’s fantastic even with the changes. Suddenly everyone wants one but the parts orders require lead time and minimum quantities so the ship has sailed. So to speak.

That’s my take anyway. Not based on anything but speculation.

#1916 4 years ago
Quoted from dts:

That's basically what Jack told me. He wanted 1500 machines built, they decided on 1000 because of the above, delays, and what they thought the demand was, and there you go. Bet they will build more.

It's a tough job, predicting the future.

Predict too high and you've lost a bunch of money on inventory you can't sell.
Predict too low and you're leaving money on the table with unmet demand.

Given the high cost, parts turnaround and assembly time of pinball...it's a tough racket.

#1982 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Friendly alternate perspective offered with the best of intentions:
What are you doing here? What's the plan? The desired outcome? The reality is you're the second owner of a machine that was initially routed - that's two major strikes. Because of that, legally, JJP doesn't owe you anything at all. In my experience, this isn't the way to get a satisfactory resolution to anything. It seems like you jumped from DEFCON 4 or 3 to DEFCON 1 and skipped all the in-between. Elevating to this level is a bad idea because there's nowhere left to go. I mean, I hope it works out for you, but I just have to give you a perspective from outside your bubble - you're way down a really dangerous path.

This is what I've been saying all along. By going ballistic and making legal threats, the well is now poisoned and goodwill is out the window.
I've been pleading all along for people to be logical, rational and reasonable. All it got me was a ton of downvotes.

#2012 4 years ago

Thanks Harry for the recap.

Yes I said all those things. Yes I apologized and attempted to de escalate. A couple people approached me privately to say my words made them feel like their issues were unimportant.

Let me be clear - chipping sucks and none of us are happy about it. In my personal case it was easy to hide under posts so I was able to put it behind me.

I am empathetic to the folks who have it worse. I am also empathetic to the position this puts JJP in.

#2015 4 years ago

Wondering if you looked under other posts or pop bumpers yet? Not sure how much you've pulled your game(s) apart. I wonder how much most people have pulled their games apart. I doubt many have pulled up other posts or the pop bumpers for sure.

No, I haven’t gone hunting for more problems. If I don’t see them during gameplay, I would rather not know about them!

I did examine things when I replaced the rubber for chapter select. It was fine. So far only the sling posts have the issue. I am seeing a bit of wear on the tortuga hole edge which I consider expected at this play count (around 3200 I think.)

I bought cliffys to cover it but haven’t installed yet. Not crazy about the look.

#2020 4 years ago
Quoted from Cdonnerusmc:

Stern sent me a new in box plug and play Ghostbusters premium playfield when I had ghosting issues with my inserts. You would think Jersey Jack would want to make this right?

Sterns volumes are much higher than JJP.

Also, in subsequent releases they explicitly called out ghosting inserts as normal and not warranty fixes.

#2065 4 years ago

If you can’t see it while playing...isn’t it better to not know about it at all?

#2107 4 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Hey guys, sorry, didnt mean to be misleading...that game is not mine but we were getting it set up on location today and I noticed the clear right out of the box...was just a shame to see that they dont even look close at the CEs much less the SEs
As much as I want a Wonka, Im in a holding pattern until this gets sorted out

Near as I can figure, that means sitting out of pinball entirely until this gets sorted out. I’d rather play now and deal with the issues later.

2 weeks later
#2255 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I don't agree at all.
If the "chip" and clear are separating at effectively time zero; you have no way to judge how this PF will look after 4-6 years... or 2 decades... or 4 decades. For all you know this is a symptom of a bigger ice berg.
If Ink isn't bonding to the Wood Surface... there very well could be problems later. in "ball travel" areas of the game... which leads to more clear/paint loss... which leads to eventually an unplayable and undesirable game.

And yet, with a mint NOS playfield on standby, any concern over that wear could be resolved N years down the road, no?

1 month later
#2647 4 years ago

Stand down. Do NOT start obsessing and ironing your playfield. This is not a thing you need to worry about.

Trust me, for your own good.

3 months later
#2796 4 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Yeah that was me. So I got a new playfield. What the hell am I supposed to do now?

The way I see it you have options. What you do depends on whether or not you intend to keep the machine forever or not, how many plays you plan to put on it, how much time or money you plan to put into it, and how upset you are with the current state.

Consider that all playfields do wear given enough time and use.

If you ever think you will sell, just store it safely and plan on making it an incentive for a future buyer. Play the hell out of it and don’t let wear or chipping worry you in the slightest, knowing it can always be repaired later.

If you don’t think you will sell, the decision is whether to repair now or to repair later, with a secondary decision of learn to do it yourself or throw money at the problem and pay someone.

If it were me I’d defer the repair until the playfield is an absolute wreck, but I haven’t seen your current situation nor can I assess how important the current look and feel is to you.

#2804 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

No notification at all but it’s a Beaut![quoted image]

That really is stunning and beautiful without all the parts on it. Wow!

#2810 4 years ago

@harryhoudini Didn't you say something about ordering a mylar set? Can you share the part number? Seems like a good thing to order and keep on ice with the playfield.

#2812 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

These new PF’S are coming with mylar already applied if that’s what your refering to. If not, my mistake.

Oh I didn't realize. That's nice!

EDIT: I see it now in your picture, I thought those were environmental reflections.

#2820 4 years ago

Yeah, I got a spare set of decals, a set of mylar, a map disc decal, plastics, malestrom ramp, chest bracket... lol. I'm collecting.
I think with these two items you have everything that makes up the playfield install. The map disc I figured would look horrible compared to the new playfield.
JJP Part Number
62-000036-01
62-000041-XX
Description
POTC Spinning Map Disk Decal
POTC Clear Mylar PF/Siderail Protectors Sheet
Rate

THanks for posting that! I’m sure it will help someone. About the map disc, you’d be shocked how well that thing cleans up. On my new-to-me CE the disc was basically black compared to the playfield. I wiped it with alcohol and it looks new again. It has a pretty nice clear finish, but it does tend to collect the ball dust!

#2830 4 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

After all this bs and the way Jack has handled it and treated people I don’t know why anyone would buy from him again.

Wow. I really don't want to get involved in arguing about this again, but I gotta say that's just not fair.

First he offered playfields at 1/2 price (presumably his cost.)
Then he offered them free, and called people to personally apologize and make it right.
Then he made good on it and sent them out.
He got to the bottom of the issue and fixed it on machines going forward.

What else could he possibly have done?

#2837 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

You don't really need 2 rotisseries - just one is enough. Leave the old pf in the game and the new one in the rotisserie. Just hot swap the parts over. Of course if you have 2 use them, but it's not essential.
It's really not a hard job. Just need to be methodical, take photos, don't rush, and have the right tools. I've done a few including a WOZ - this is probably in the same league as WOZ. Took about 20 hours at a guess.

Do you think it's possible with no rotisserie? Pull and bag all the parts, swap playfields, then reload? Obviously with lots of 4k 60fps video to help answer reassembly questions.

I would totally watch a 20 hour playfield swap stream, with interest.

#2852 4 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

REPLACE THE FUCKING PLAYFIELD WITH A POPULATED ONE.

And if he did that then you’d complain that the game isn’t new and you deserve a new machine.

And if he did that you’d complain about compensation for your pain and suffering.

Some people are never happy.

4 weeks later
#2921 4 years ago

I haven't heard one person say they got a refund. Fack JJP for not doing that immediately.

Quoted from Soulrider911:

I recently got a refund for my Playfield, minus shipping and the t-nut and Mylar kit, but hey I’ll take anything they will give me. I’m thankful.

Quoted from winsoreric:

I received a sales order adjustment from Aileen Rentas 2 days ago and checked my checking account today and found a $550.00 credit from JJP. I received the phone call from Jack on Sept 5th. Took 20 days for it to reach my account if my math is correct. I didn't get refunded for the T-nuts, Mylar or the small wire forms that press into the playfield though I am happy to get refunded for the play field. Just waiting on my order of Cliff's and finishing my 2 homemade rotisseries to begin the swap. I wouldn't think it would be long until you get your refunds also.

#2927 4 years ago

If anyone has received a CE playfield and would rather convert it to money, please let me know. I'm in the market for one.

#2929 4 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

zaphx - is your playfield looking much worse than mine in terms of dimples? Those photos above are at 103 games played. I know you play quite heavily.

Dimples are worst on any pin when it's new - every one stands out. The more you play the more homogenous the playfield looks and less you'll care.

My desire for a playfield isn't about dimples, it's about making sure I can renew the game N years down the road. It is a keeper for me.

To answer your question, my CE has around 2000 plays and has more uniform dimpling. It's in line with every other NIB I've owned. (4 JJPs, 2 Sterns).

#2931 4 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

That's good to hear. I certainly don't remember this type of thing on past pins i've owned, but they admittedly had many more plays on them and I had them in a room that didn't have near the amount of direct overhead lighting as my current gameroom.

Best solution is play as much as possible. This will make the few dimples look less like outliers, and it also has the added benefit of making you focus on what matters - having fun with the game!

2 months later
#2979 3 years ago

I am guessing with the move JJP is not up and fully running, don't know. I know that I'm getting sporadic responses. They were quick to respond to sell me a WOZ 2.0 light kit but after that all replies got radio silence.

I saw a message (on FB I think) with Barry building those kits from home.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

24,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 38.00
$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Wanted
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zaphX.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-who-has-playfield-dimples-cracking-wear-around-star-posts-?tu=zaphX and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.