(Topic ID: 242867)

PoTC - Who has playfield cracking & wear around sling posts?

By harryhoudini

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,006 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinDeadHead
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What kind of issues are you seeing?”

• I have visible dimples but no chipping 47 votes
    22%
  • I can see chipping but haven't done anything yet 69 votes
    32%
  • I can see chipping and installed mylar, washer and/or larger star post 33 votes
    15%
  • My playfield looks fine (but I haven't removed the star posts) 33 votes
    15%
  • I removed the star posts and my playfield looks fine 16 votes
    7%
  • My game had clear washers installed from the factory 16 votes
    7%

(Multiple choice - 214 votes by 202 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8a08956226ce33ab4cbce84ac85256fac4d2c495 (resized).jpg
272de6fede9fee8a8547778ad012df344b85326e (resized).jpg
20200319_164738 (resized).jpg
AEF37959-C604-4A07-B193-2416A6A62929 (resized).jpeg
F10537D7-D970-4859-B5C9-CF482DF29BFA (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200320_103742 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200320_101453 (resized).jpg
917EEAC5-4AC1-4204-BDA8-5497FFCB4BAC (resized).jpeg
83458836-4863-4833-8D88-F5A9E65F9517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3627 (resized).jpeg
20200127_171934 (resized).jpg
Shocked.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
potc2_5234 (resized).jpg
3FC99A16-7187-44B6-811B-16DD827ABC65 (resized).jpeg
20200125_090027 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #306 Sling Post Remediation Efforts #1 Posted by harryhoudini (4 years ago)

Post #307 Sling Post Remediation Efforts #2 Posted by harryhoudini (4 years ago)

Post #432 Washer and Starpost Solution Posted by harryhoudini (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider reznnate.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1478 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

You're new here it seems.. but such 'catastrophic' issues have come up for every vendor.. and besides the temporary bad noise... they quickly forget and people buy the next title.
Stern art pealing off...
Stern cabinets splitting...
CGC cabinet art wrapping/splits...
JJP WoZ lightboards...
JJP WoZ playfields
Stern PF planking...
Stern PF insert ghosting...
And that's just recent times...

I've been dying to mention dimpling. Isn't the soft clear exacerbating dimpling!? DIMPLING!!

1 week later
#1551 4 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Is a fair solution simply the cost of the playfield, perhaps discounted further by Mirco? Hate to see JJP lose any more money. I understand they are half off at this point, but perhaps the cost is less.

Also, this is not a JJP-only issue. It's happening with other vendors as well.

#1580 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

I probably jump to conclusions more than I should, but I think it's pretty evident that the clear coat is soft and/or there is a problem with the printing or finishing process. The narrow posts with the sharp edge caused the defective playfield to chip and crack around those specific posts while other posts mainly pool up the clear because they are not sharp.

Yep, same happened with many of the TNA games (including mine). Spooky did not offer free replacement playfields, but then I believe most customers didn't expect it from Spooky either.

#1624 4 years ago

JJP has their own fix, they send out a kit with some hard washers of two sizes and larger posts if you need them to cover damage. I believe that is what is in it.
Otherwise the overwhelming consensus is rubber washers and double starposts. Sticked in this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-who-has-playfield-dimples-cracking-wear-around-star-posts-/page/9#post-4999401

This is the same essential kit offered by Spooky. It's industry standard these days.

#1754 4 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

Seriously let it go. People are allowed to be disappointed with the way the play field situation has been handled. Give it a rest already.

Yeah. Positivity on Pinside? You and your attitude do not belong here.

For the rest of us, Amazon has finally managed to restock their tiki torches.

#1761 4 years ago

I dunno, the whole "we haven't made a determination" stance from Jack makes it seem like they don't care why this is happening but how they can best contain the backlash.
Otherwise at least make my gamble free?

I think JJP cares about containing losses up to (if not over) a million $. They may not have a cause/effect/fix determination from Mirco yet.

#1772 4 years ago

Angry customers should deal with <insert pin company here> directly. You may be disappointed with the outcome, but it's the best approach.

Mentioning lawyers will cause non-constructive behavior from any company. Their lawyers guide them to say nothing and disengage.

Rallying community tiki torches is somewhere in the middle, but I still suggest direct engagements since individual machines and circumstances (environment, shipping, use) vary.

Expecting a <$50 fix-kit seems reasonable. Expecting any pinball-sized company to absorb (up-to 1000's of) populated playfields is not reasonable. Particularly for cosmetic chips or dents or dimples, it's REALLY irritating, but it's just not reasonable.

#1813 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I must forge my own path, have my own fantasy come to it's end by my own voice.

Don't allow a little playfield wear to destroy your fantasty... JJP pins are a beacon of light among $25k diamond Beatle games...

#1824 4 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

I guess I’m more a black and white logical thinker. I personally love JJP games. But I have no allegiance to the company. What they have done and are doing is wrong so I’ll be signing. It’s a business decision for me not s personal decision.

It's funny, I know, but I feel the opposite. I love this hobby and I appreciate the innovation JJP brings (and the risks they take). I LOVE their games. I want JJP to be successful long term, and I'm prepared to help support them. But of course, I'd rather buy high-quality, expensive games without issues versus buying expensive replacement parts.

#1845 4 years ago

Anyone get any information on playfield stock? I'm hearing that there may not be any and it may be months of delays to get more from Mirco. If this is the case

Perhaps, oh, I don't know, to let the clear coat cure some more?

1 week later
#1991 4 years ago

This thread isn't fun.
My friends call me Cpt. Obvious.

#2027 4 years ago

So can Stern
That's the point. It shouldn't matter the size, but if you are paying for a Bentley you sure as shit better get Bentley customer support. Really, no matter the damn product if a manufacturer makes a mistake it should be on them to fix it.

Bentley's are 10x the price of a typical Ford. Let's change the analogy to a Lincoln and a Ford, if Ford was stamping LE on the bumper and charging essentially the same price as the Lincoln. Who would even buy the Ford? Oh, because it's "limited"...

#2045 4 years ago

So shouldn't JJP provide 10% better support?
And how we are comparing LE to LE? Isn't Stern LE equivalent to CE? It sure seems like it is with DP, the game I was researching to change out with my Wonka order.
So isn't it something like $9k for Stern DP LE and $12.5k for JJP POTC CE? So like 30% difference?
Even POTC LE $9500 to DP Premium is $7500, so 20%.
Apples to apples, right?

Are we really comparing a Stern's LE value to JJP POTC LE? REALLY really? C'mon, now you're just being silly.

#2084 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Sadly; if JJP is buying PFs from Mirco - it doesn't sound like anything is going to change until JJP holds his feet to the fire or finds a better vendor.

I wish I could be a fly on the wall in those meetings... mainly to hear experts discuss the issues and if the required changes are possible with Mirco's machinery and process.

2 weeks later
#2258 4 years ago
Quoted from mzhulk:

I am not understanding why you people keep buying games unseen and unplayed. I have stopped doing that years ago. Its not like they are running out of new pinball machines. I hope jjp never releases a new run of potc with the playfield problems fixed, it would make the original run value drop bigtime.

My time on earth is limited. I like to play new pinball machines. I expect to lose money within my hobbies.
As a matter of fact, I lost a bunch this weekend on games that had perfect playfields.

#2378 4 years ago
Quoted from pingod:

Here is Jack's statement from the Wonka thread, Key post there.
Jack's statement transcribed from the podcast -

That, my friends, is a carefully worded statement...

I'm still looking forward to a formal technical explanation that discusses the root cause.
I'd like them to say they understand the problem and it will be addressed... Saying it's an "anomaly" is another way of saying it can't/won't be fixed in new games (yet).

Also, they should share some methods of limiting the issues in new games, games with pooling, etc.

#2412 4 years ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

...put your pics and game number and name with them

This seems like a good idea. Perhaps a list of build-dates and confirmation of issues (yes/no/tbd) would help the manufacturers narrow down bad batches, etc.
I've started a google sheet here. Feel free to fix or edit. If this is a bad idea (for a reason I can't imagine), let me know and I'll take it down.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oL9hUaeVpl_QGFD5z1TGqka4urDbpMmFFRM_a7SV3V8/edit?usp=sharing

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
24,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanted
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider reznnate.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-who-has-playfield-dimples-cracking-wear-around-star-posts-?tu=reznnate and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.