(Topic ID: 242867)

PoTC - Who has playfield cracking & wear around sling posts?

By harryhoudini

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,006 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinDeadHead
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What kind of issues are you seeing?”

• I have visible dimples but no chipping 47 votes
    22%
  • I can see chipping but haven't done anything yet 69 votes
    32%
  • I can see chipping and installed mylar, washer and/or larger star post 33 votes
    15%
  • My playfield looks fine (but I haven't removed the star posts) 33 votes
    15%
  • I removed the star posts and my playfield looks fine 16 votes
    7%
  • My game had clear washers installed from the factory 16 votes
    7%

(Multiple choice - 214 votes by 202 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8a08956226ce33ab4cbce84ac85256fac4d2c495 (resized).jpg
272de6fede9fee8a8547778ad012df344b85326e (resized).jpg
20200319_164738 (resized).jpg
AEF37959-C604-4A07-B193-2416A6A62929 (resized).jpeg
F10537D7-D970-4859-B5C9-CF482DF29BFA (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200320_103742 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200320_101453 (resized).jpg
917EEAC5-4AC1-4204-BDA8-5497FFCB4BAC (resized).jpeg
83458836-4863-4833-8D88-F5A9E65F9517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3627 (resized).jpeg
20200127_171934 (resized).jpg
Shocked.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
potc2_5234 (resized).jpg
3FC99A16-7187-44B6-811B-16DD827ABC65 (resized).jpeg
20200125_090027 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #306 Sling Post Remediation Efforts #1 Posted by harryhoudini (4 years ago)

Post #307 Sling Post Remediation Efforts #2 Posted by harryhoudini (4 years ago)

Post #432 Washer and Starpost Solution Posted by harryhoudini (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#22 4 years ago

This is a quality issue from what I'm reading. Some posts used have a protruding edge, image below is a closeup from the one above, this is why the issue hasn't occurred on all games. Any playfield using a post like below will end up having the post dig into the clear.

JJP has used similar designed post for years without issue so what changed? Did JJP change post manufacturers or did the existing manufacturer change the design? I really hope JJP didn't change post manufacturers to save 25 cents per game as at today's prices there's no excuse for cuts in quality. My 2/4 build date posts are smooth on the bottom and came with plastic washers installed from the factory so JJP realized they needed to do something.

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#69 4 years ago

Here's a close up pic of the post and factory plastic washer from my 2/4 built game. I can tell the edge of the post itself isn't perfectly even and you can see how its dug into the washer a bit. If the post can dig into a plastic washer it will go right through clear coat.

20190514_134648 (resized).jpg20190514_134648 (resized).jpg

#135 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

My experiment. I went from the small washers to.the larger clear ones. They are very hard so i wasnt sure if that was a good alternative.
I then tried just black rubber washers bet they bowed up a bit when the posts were screwed in. So I had this final idea..
I put the rubber one down with the large clear one on top.
We'll see how it plays and if the slings have any issues with this setup.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I think a piece of mylar and then the larger clear washer you are using should be more than enough protection.

#182 4 years ago

Unfortunately I don't see JJP replacing playfields with populated ones for those with chipping at the sling posts. Game is done, probably limited parts left, and they are moving into Wonka, game #6, etc.

What JJP should at the very least do is offer a "fix" kit for earlier built games. In the fix kit include posts that are smooth at the bottom, and the washers. I also noticed my 2/4 LE has a lexan washer installed under the star post located under the Black Pearl ramp, that should be included too. Basically any sort of protection being installed on the latest games needs to go into the the fix kit.

Finally, JJP should offer decals that are mylar square size of the artwork around the post holes so owners can choose to cover it up if they want to with using standard posts. Either that or include starposts with the clear lexan washer they are using under the Black Pearl ramp. This isn't an ideal solution but for the price of these games its the least they can do.

#184 4 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

This is a absolute bullshit repair on such a expensive game. Should be replacing playfeilds with non defective ones.
I knew you were a jjp fanboy but this is rediculous.

I think they should replace the playfields but I'm just thinking what will really happen as the game is done. As I said it's not the ideal solution. Better then doing nothing.

#194 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

JJPOTC has been a shit show from the start because the club thread was so much a fix the POTC thread this was started a month ago and now has over 1000 post https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues

Do you ever stop trolling against JJP?

#199 4 years ago
Quoted from jarozi:

Anyone have 500+ plays on a Pirates w/ no defect and no extra washers from factory? Be interested in seeing if the posts are smooth, if that's really all it/was. Apologies if this has been covered.
Just trying to see what needs to be done when my machine gets here, while it's not a huge deal to me, all things being equal I would rather not have the cracking.

If your getting a newer built game it should have the small plastic washers installed under the sling posts from the factory. I would still recommend applying 1-2 squares of mylar over each post hole just to be safe.

Here's the mylar installed over mine, it's barely noticeable.

20190429_200116 (resized).jpg20190429_200116 (resized).jpg

#200 4 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Pinball manufacturers are taking advantage of the poor attitude of this community. Pinball has this antiquated 'manufacturing is hard' and 'just play your shittily manufactured game you whiner' logic.
Companies like Stern and JJP know that there will be an endless stream of their defenders like Sinestro, Panzer, WhoDey, MapleSyrup, Chambahz etc to defend the BULLSHIT.
Personally I've received a warped playfield in a NIB Stern game and they've told me that they don't give a fuck.
Wake up people, we need to support each other and band together against this BULLSHIT. They are railroading us.

I've been critical of JJP many times. Pleade don't think for a second I think this is acceptable, it's not. As I've written before the last thing customers of NIB games should have to worry about are playfield issues.

#250 4 years ago

If a game does have chipping heres what I would recommend doing.

1. With a small detail brush apply clear to damaged area, allow to dry

2. Mylar over top, 1-2 layers

3. Install star posts over thin plastic / lexan washers that are the diameter of the star posts.

I believe the "solution" above would minimize further damage and make existing damage not noticeable.

#256 4 years ago
Quoted from Mnluz:

Does the issue happen to all Pirates ? Or the late manufacture models (march 2019) are ok ?

At some point JJP started putting plastic washers underneath the posts. My 2/4 built LE has them and also noticed a thin plastic / lexan washer under the the star post located underneath the Black Pearl ramp. No wear present. 2/4 is well before these issues were being reported at this level so someone at JJP must have heard something and implemented a change on the line.

#581 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

There are two generations of woz playfields... the first had the bad flaking. Later did not.

Only a small number of the original playfields by Bader had playfield flaking issues, thankfully a vast majority did not. My WOZ ECLE has a Bader playfield in it and its in as good of shape if not better then my other JJP playfields with Mirco playfields.

#617 4 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

It seems that JJP should rereleased this game with corrected playfields. Which leads to this follow up: how infuriating would that be to all the first adopters?? I tried to buy a potc le, but failed to obtain one. I ended up "settling" on dialed in le. I guess I'm glad I did. I still feel this game deserves more units made, but also to be sorted out, first.

You are implying that all games have cracking at the sling posts and that isn't the case.

2 months later
#1732 4 years ago

I think owners with severe chipping, as some have posted here, should have been given at least a free unpopulated playfield. Having to pay even 50% of the cost is BS. Being told "it's only pinball" is wrong. If JJP is going to charge top dollar then they need to back that up with top quality control.

#1884 4 years ago
Quoted from DougPiranha:

Does anyone have a pirates that is not bubbling and chipping?

None here, early February build with factory washers under sling posts. I put two squares of mylar under each post just as a cautionary measure, game had under 100 plays at the time. I did order the washer kit just in case but haven't installed it yet. Have also since turned down the sling power just incase.

9e86b1608f2a9370bea9d3f1ab32ef63489e7a02 (resized).jpg9e86b1608f2a9370bea9d3f1ab32ef63489e7a02 (resized).jpg

#1887 4 years ago
Quoted from DougPiranha:

That's great!
Mine is bubbling at every post that touches the playfield. So the slings just seem to start failing first. EVERY point of post or metal to playfield is bubbling and peeling!

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that. Its BS that JJP isn't doing more for owners with games affected to that degree. A free replacement playfield should be a given once pictures are provided to them. For JJP to offer a 50% off playfield after a customer buys a nearly $10k game is an insult in my opinion. I like JJP a lot but they really need to step it up here.

#1936 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I don't have a DP but all the Sterns I've owned have a clear coated shooter lane... Never heard of a roughness? My SW has metal ramp entry guards too?
True on some of your other points though... Although many of them are things I wouldn't pay more for.

If any area of a Stern playfield is rough out of the box it might be due wax not being buffed out at the factory prior to shipping. I've had this happen on 1 NIB Stern. The dried wax had been there for a while and was hard to buff out.

4 weeks later
#2334 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Yeah, like how everyone forgave JJP and kept buying games after they gave WOZ owners all those lightning kits to fix their defective lightning... oh wait..
No, they still have to pay nearly $800 years and years later. I guess people do forget!

Don't forget!

1. The WOZ light board issue occured over 5+ years ago, it was on JJP's first game, and it occured on the most complex lighting system ever created for a pinball machine
2. JJP resolved the light board issue permanently with the 2.0 lighting system
3. WOZ's with 5.0v unbuffered light boards experienced issues early and JJP warrantied the boards for my customers
4. A vast majority of WOZ's with 5.0 buffered, 7.5v buffered / unbuffered boards have never had an issue in 5 + years (mine included with 7.5v boards)
5. JJP came up with the 2.0 light kit for WOZ owners and offered it at cost (how many companies would do something like that?)

JJP can get hammered for the playfield issues but I think they handled the WOZ light board issue very well. No one has to pay $800 for a 2.0 kit if they don't want to. As I said a vast majority of WOZ's with 5.0 buffered, 7.5v buffered / unbuffered boards have never had an issue in 5 + years.

1 week later
#2569 4 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

I was putting in my Cliffy's this past weekend. With only 38 plays total (bought NIB end of August) I thought I would get a jump on premature wear issues with these protectors.
But instead found plenty of clear coat pooling everywhere. This is the Tortuga hole. Several other areas were just as bad.
My Distributor - The Pinball Company - replied immediately back on SUNDAY night to my e-mail with my concerns. They fired off an e-mail to JJP that same night making an initial inquiry of "who is in charge of the playfield issues" and copied me in on the e-mail. This evening, TPC contacted me again asking if I had heard back from anyone at JJP- as they had not.
(I've got to say this is great customer service by TPC). I replied that I had not.
I'm really not too amped up about it right now. I put on the JJP provided star posts and washers they sent me
as I did the Cliffy install. I know JJP is working through this challenge, and really 3 days isn't that long. Fingers crossed though.
[quoted image][quoted image]

The pooling sucks but honestly it could have been way worse based on the picture.

#2573 4 years ago

Thankfully it seems like pooling doesn't always lead to chipping. We've now seen some Stern games made years ago with similar pooling in non sling areas but no chipping. The primary area that has been chipping on Pirates is around sling posts due to the sharp edges of sling posts along with vibration from the sling kicker frequently firing that overtime leads to pooling and then chipping. However, I understand some Pirates games have chipping outside of the sling area. Playfield quality seems to vary game to game.

In the case of the above pic I would maybe put some mylar down over the area, reinstall the backplate and then never worry about it.

6 months later
#2962 4 years ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

I think PoTC gen 1 playfield breaks the rules a bit. Nylon washers didn't do jack squat under the sling posts. Neither did the JJP kit's, which allegedly used some material in between. I suspect here that dispersing the force across wider area without impacting gameplay is the biggest key. The Nylon washer of the equivalent size I just could not find available.

One of the biggest issues is that some Pirates were shipped with posts that had an uneven edge / protruding edge on the bottom. This type of post would dig right into the clear / art and likely contributed to the chipping issues.

At some point (maybe Jan 2019) JJP began shipping Pirates that had plastic clear washers installed at the bottom of the sling posts. The Pirates LE that I had thankfully had these clear washers installed from the factory. I still put small squares of mylar over each sling post hole and then put the JJP washer kit over it, there was never any playfield wear. What I don't know is if JJP used the factory clear washers on all posts or just the sling posts.

Picture without the factory clear washer on sling post

272de6fede9fee8a8547778ad012df344b85326e (resized).jpg272de6fede9fee8a8547778ad012df344b85326e (resized).jpg

Picture with factory clear washer on sling post. The sling post is even digging into the clear washer a bit.

8a08956226ce33ab4cbce84ac85256fac4d2c495 (resized).jpg8a08956226ce33ab4cbce84ac85256fac4d2c495 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

24,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanted
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-who-has-playfield-dimples-cracking-wear-around-star-posts-?tu=panzerfreak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.