(Topic ID: 242867)

PoTC - Who has playfield cracking & wear around sling posts?

By harryhoudini

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,006 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinDeadHead
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What kind of issues are you seeing?”

• I have visible dimples but no chipping 47 votes
    22%
  • I can see chipping but haven't done anything yet 69 votes
    32%
  • I can see chipping and installed mylar, washer and/or larger star post 33 votes
    15%
  • My playfield looks fine (but I haven't removed the star posts) 33 votes
    15%
  • I removed the star posts and my playfield looks fine 16 votes
    7%
  • My game had clear washers installed from the factory 16 votes
    7%

(Multiple choice - 214 votes by 202 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8a08956226ce33ab4cbce84ac85256fac4d2c495 (resized).jpg
272de6fede9fee8a8547778ad012df344b85326e (resized).jpg
20200319_164738 (resized).jpg
AEF37959-C604-4A07-B193-2416A6A62929 (resized).jpeg
F10537D7-D970-4859-B5C9-CF482DF29BFA (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200320_103742 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200320_101453 (resized).jpg
917EEAC5-4AC1-4204-BDA8-5497FFCB4BAC (resized).jpeg
83458836-4863-4833-8D88-F5A9E65F9517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3627 (resized).jpeg
20200127_171934 (resized).jpg
Shocked.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
potc2_5234 (resized).jpg
3FC99A16-7187-44B6-811B-16DD827ABC65 (resized).jpeg
20200125_090027 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #306 Sling Post Remediation Efforts #1 Posted by harryhoudini (4 years ago)

Post #307 Sling Post Remediation Efforts #2 Posted by harryhoudini (4 years ago)

Post #432 Washer and Starpost Solution Posted by harryhoudini (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mk6pin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#708 4 years ago

I have read this entire thread, and beyond sad for what seems a vast majority having pf problems. This is a playfield...heart of any machine...not a "tweak or adjustment". Nothing to stop this from happening on any area where anything hard is attached...slings get the most action, so you would see it there first.

How long have these games been out? 3-4 months? 12k plays on an HUO by EoY? Truly hope populated playfields w proper posts will be made available....I just can't believe it. My early WOZ has the mini posts, no washers, and has been fine for years.

Truly admire all here that are being so positive about dealing with this...my heart is truly sick, and I don't even own one.....

#710 4 years ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

Mark, I respect that, but I think this issue really has been solved by the washers. For the home use owners, anyways.
Location games like at the Cidercadehave been beat upon, and the slings, Tortuga, and the starmap without mylar have been the only areas to show the vulnerabilities of the playfield.
All of these the home owner knows of and can account for.
Honestly, I'd rather have delt with "post-gate 2019" than the hard as a rock clearcoat that came on Hobbit, with most of the inserts underneath shattered.
Let's not even think how that clear would handle the 'man overboard.' No thanks...

All the best for you Brian, and the others....it looks like the issues have been mitigated, but certainly not solved. Just took an inspection light to my WOZ as paranoia set in....no cracks (and have actually pulled the slings and many other things off the PF over the years). JJP has always had great customer support...hope the right thing is done here.......

#712 4 years ago

My WOZ has had thousands of plays...All my games get played, and have done extensive work on quite a few to keep them in best shape....For years....

Just wishing the best outcome for those that may not share the opinion of " I spent 9k+,have live with it".

Many can't work extensively on these things. Fewer can do proper pf restoration ( myself included there).

Simply hoping for the best.....

#713 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

This game gets a LOT of love in our house. At our current rate I expect to hit 10k plays by the end of the year, which means it has paid for itself.

Impressive....What size are the rings?..Not uncommon for the actuator to jump out on occasion, especially if the post setup has changed. I went down to 2 1/4 on my tron for that very reason...Just a thought...

#719 4 years ago

Not just new playfields- playfields re-engineered with a new clearcoat that resists both ball drops and tight posts.

My guess is they ran a bad batch ( though a significant one). Just send replacement/populated pf's to those who as machine is still under warranty ( this is not unheard of). I don't think it's unreasonable...The poll in this thread speaks volumes...

#720 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

That's a REALLY interesting way to look at it.. =)
Never even considered..

How would this be a consideration unless these machines are commodity based, like a clothes dryer? Normal wear and tear is one thing...This is not that...

Had hoped to read the whole thread to find someone received a replacement play field or defect was isolated...wanted this game really bad initially, and a CE still has my name on it. I just can't...(sigh)...

Again... sincerely hope this gets remedied for all current owners...

#727 4 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

How many times are you gonna offer your condolences? No ones died, throw 3 bucks in parts and 15 minutes of time and it’s a non issue.

To be so wise.....not worth the bandwidth......

And the people like Mark who don't want to take it at all with these flaws, well, theres other games out there and coming out all the time.

I've bought plenty of games w flaws, so have many others......my mistake for inquiring and giving a shit......

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

24,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mk6pin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-who-has-playfield-dimples-cracking-wear-around-star-posts-?tu=mk6pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.