(Topic ID: 242867)

PoTC - Who has playfield cracking & wear around sling posts?

By harryhoudini

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,006 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinDeadHead
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What kind of issues are you seeing?”

• I have visible dimples but no chipping 47 votes
    22%
  • I can see chipping but haven't done anything yet 69 votes
    32%
  • I can see chipping and installed mylar, washer and/or larger star post 33 votes
    15%
  • My playfield looks fine (but I haven't removed the star posts) 33 votes
    15%
  • I removed the star posts and my playfield looks fine 16 votes
    7%
  • My game had clear washers installed from the factory 16 votes
    7%

(Multiple choice - 214 votes by 202 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8a08956226ce33ab4cbce84ac85256fac4d2c495 (resized).jpg
272de6fede9fee8a8547778ad012df344b85326e (resized).jpg
20200319_164738 (resized).jpg
AEF37959-C604-4A07-B193-2416A6A62929 (resized).jpeg
F10537D7-D970-4859-B5C9-CF482DF29BFA (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200320_103742 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200320_101453 (resized).jpg
917EEAC5-4AC1-4204-BDA8-5497FFCB4BAC (resized).jpeg
83458836-4863-4833-8D88-F5A9E65F9517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3627 (resized).jpeg
20200127_171934 (resized).jpg
Shocked.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
potc2_5234 (resized).jpg
3FC99A16-7187-44B6-811B-16DD827ABC65 (resized).jpeg
20200125_090027 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #306 Sling Post Remediation Efforts #1 Posted by harryhoudini (4 years ago)

Post #307 Sling Post Remediation Efforts #2 Posted by harryhoudini (4 years ago)

Post #432 Washer and Starpost Solution Posted by harryhoudini (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gliebig.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#54 4 years ago

Mine came with the small washers. I tried adding the larger plastic ones, but I don't like the fact that they are so hard and feel they may cause issues too.
I'm just going to do what I did with my TNA and install these... I think the softer rubber will work better and at least ease my mind.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-2-Count-5-16-in-x-3-4-in-Neoprene-Standard-SAE-Fender-Washers/3012346
They don't look any worse than the large plastic ones and surely look better than a chipped playfield.

#58 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Let us know how they work out

So far so good on my TNA.

#73 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

I was thinking about something similar, for sure. I just didn't
have anything handy but I also didn't appreciate the look (having
black neoprene squishing out under the sling posts) and worried
that the height might also be an issue, but I suppose they squash
down a bit. Do you have pics of TNA?

Not my pic but this it what it looks like. IMO, they look better than the large clear ones. Actually, the clear ones are more whitish and really stick out. I didn't like the look of them.

tna1 (resized).jpgtna1 (resized).jpg
#131 4 years ago

My experiment. I went from the small washers to.the larger clear ones. They are very hard so i wasnt sure if that was a good alternative.
I then tried just black rubber washers bet they bowed up a bit when the posts were screwed in. So I had this final idea..
I put the rubber one down with the large clear one on top.
We'll see how it plays and if the slings have any issues with this setup.

20190514_194642 (resized).jpg20190514_194642 (resized).jpg20190514_195956 (resized).jpg20190514_195956 (resized).jpg20190514_201313 (resized).jpg20190514_201313 (resized).jpg
#134 4 years ago

Yeah. About to play a few games and see what happens.

#156 4 years ago

I'm already having issues with the clear lexan (petg) washers being too tall, others reported the issue as well. The sling "hammer" (whatever that hits the rubber) pops out. Had it happen last night. Not the end of the world, but should not be an issue I should have to deal with. Don't see a way around it aside from trimming the star posts down the same height as the washers.

I had the hammer thing happen a few times before I put washers on.
Just played five games and all is well so far. If it continues to play well, I think I found a method of protection for me.

#159 4 years ago

I don't have any wear or chipping around my posts, I'm just adding protection.

#161 4 years ago

I may try star posts with just the rubber washers like my tna. The skinny posts don't work right with the rubber washers alone.

#205 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Do you ever stop trolling against JJP?

A professional troll. Pretty pathetic, actually.

#212 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Lol the pot calling the kettle black https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-next-pin-black-knight-sword-of-rage-pinball?tu=gliebig hear is you trashing the BK on a stern thread

I own more Sterns than I do JJP.

[comment removed]

#215 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

I don't care what you own you are the one who started the name calling

Call 'em as I see 'em.

#227 4 years ago

Looks like everyone should remove their posts, inspect, and sand if needed.

#232 4 years ago

Delt, in your last pic, you can see a sharp edge.

#246 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Green star posts look pretty sweet to cover it on the CE. This machine is using the rubber washers I believe.
[quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image]

I think I'm going to do mine that way just to get rid of the skinny posts.

#259 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

At some point JJP started putting plastic washers underneath the posts. My 2/4 built LE has them and also noticed a thin plastic / lexan washer under the the star post located underneath the Black Pearl ramp. No wear present. 2/4 is well before these issues were being reported at this level so someone at JJP must have heard something and implemented a change on the line.

Mine came with the small washers and I have no issues, but I'm thinking about doing the star posts with rubber washers. I think that would have to be better than having the little hard washer potentially moving around.

#263 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Where does one buy a rubber washer that is roughly the same size as the Star post?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-2-Count-5-16-in-x-3-4-in-Neoprene-Standard-SAE-Fender-Washers/3012346

#265 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

If you install these with the stars please report how they perform.

It will look just like the one with the green star posts pictured above. I have done it on my TNA and haven't noticed any issues.

#268 4 years ago

This is what I'm going with. Rubber/neoprene washers under star posts. Nothing hard or sharp to touch the playfield.

20190515_171718 (resized).jpg20190515_171718 (resized).jpg

#296 4 years ago

Star posts with rubber washers...
Just played a few games and slings are not as active. I will have to adjust the switches. I think it's because the star post are wider and pulled the sling rubber just a bit farther from the switches.
I tried the skinny posts with rubber and plastic stacked. Slings still worked fine that way.
I like the star posts more so I'll give adjusting the switches a try.

#335 4 years ago

I'm fine with the black ones from Lowe's. You really don't even notice them while playing.

#341 4 years ago

My summary from tinkering this week...

The star posts pull the sling rubber out just a bit more than the skinny posts, so most likely a little tweak to the switches is needed. I just much prefer the wider base of the star post to those skinny posts.

I tried the larger lexan washers. I didn't even torque them down much and they left faint marks in the clear after one day. That is why I'm sticking with the rubber.

I may go to Lowes this weekend and try to find a smaller rubber washer that will fit under the skinny posts better.

The size rubber washer I have curls up a bit around the edges when you use the skinny posts. I sandwiched a rubber under a lexan with the skinny post to prevent that. That worked fine and the lexan on top prevented the rubber from curling up. Slings fired normally.

Pics of each have been posted a few times.

#345 4 years ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

If you prefer the rubber and the star posts why didn't you just put the star posts on the rubber? Wouldn't that prevent curlage and thus the need for the lexan? Why did you switch back to the skinny?

I have star posts with just rubber on currently.
The skinny posts are the ones that need the rubber/lexan combo.

I'm actually on the fence with which to go with. Skinnies with rubber/lexan combo or Star posts with just rubber but switch tweaking needed...

I may go back to the skinnies rather than adjust the switches, I just thought the star posts look nicer.

#347 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Seems many like the look of Star Posts. Can these easily be cut down precisely to the proper height to work with adjusting everything? This would be the ideal solution.

I don't think it's the height. The star posts are wider, therefore, pull the sling rubber out just a bit further from the switches.

I had the skinny post rubber/lexan combo on which is a good bit taller than anything I tried and the slings fire properly.

#352 4 years ago

I don't think the double setting star post will make a difference. From what I've been experimenting with, it isn't the height that is effecting the slings but the width of the star posts that pull the rubber from the switches.

The skinny post with a lexan AND rubber washer were obviously higher and the slings fired normally.

I think either is fine. The most important thing, IMO, is having the rubber washer.

#354 4 years ago

I don't know. My game, in the last three months, had the hammer pop out maybe three times....as it came setup from the factory. I think this is pretty low on the concern scale.

#397 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

ok guys - a lot of good info and ideas here. I want to buy something at the local hardware store for the washer approach. Are the lowes ones confirmed as working? Will pick up today. If not local, I would go prime route.

Working great so far on my POTC and TNA (and the black is hardly noticeable.)

#401 4 years ago

Side question-but related. For those who want to put lexan circles under the slingshot plastics to protect them, what's the correct size? 1 inch or 3/4 inch OD? Thanks

I think 3/4. Same od as the rubber ones from Lowes. Be careful though..Just doing lexan will cause indents in the clear. I had them on for one day and noticed marks when I removed them. I'd highly recommend going with something softer.

#403 4 years ago

oh.

#414 4 years ago

So...when everyone is playing around with different posts/washers....how hard are y'all tightening the posts back down? I want to be sure I'm not over/underdoing it.

#423 4 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

Star posts should be all that is needed... Assuming damage has not started already.

Why risk it?

#456 4 years ago

Have you experienced escaped kickers with your solution?

Not yet. But out of several hundred games setup stock, it happened maybe two or three times. It's really of zero concern to me.

#608 4 years ago

Are your slings just as active as stock?

#638 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

LOL go figure in one day the thread goes from 75 contributors to 84 more issues or more defenders?

I'm still waiting to read a useful post from you.

#665 4 years ago

For reference, the ZaphX comparison but with the Lowe's washers on black posts.
See the double notch lower post is barely taller than standard not installed but the single is REALLY jacked up. Presumably installed it's the same or even closer than here.
Within five games I had a sling escape on the single, through about 20 plays or so tonight I haven't had an escape on the doubles and the ball has been smooth off the slings at the minimal setting.
I think OP should put the double posts with Lowe's or gummy washer as THE official fix.
Though some posters swear the single stars work it's definitely the doubles that do.
[quoted image]

I had maybe three sling escapes on my stock game. Zero so far on single star posts. I thing you guys are stressing way too much about this.

#764 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

The playfield protector is not adhered to the art like a clear bra would be. Also it looks like different material; clear bra stuff is a thick adhesive plastic and can be “healed” with heat where the playfield protector looks like a loose sheet of something.
I’m genuinely curious how a clearbra’d playfield would play. I certainly love the stuff on the front of my car.

What happens when it gets dirty and you can't clean it perfectly? I'd hate to try and peel that off.

1 month later
#1629 4 years ago

Does the JJP kit include washer/protectors for the single bare posts (like the I lane)?

If so, could someone post a pic and size?

#1666 4 years ago

Maybe they don't understand what you mean by "lay the chip on your playfield down"?

1 month later
#2226 4 years ago

I played wonka the other day and enjoyed it. I'll most likely pick one up....after this issue is addressed and fixed.

#2300 4 years ago

I helped unbox a Wonka the other day. Nearly all the posts had clear issues straight out of the box.

#2303 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

So on a machine like you describe you are saying I couldn’t replace the boards and have all the lights work again? How do you fix a bad PF with paint missing again? Right you don’t......

ding...ding...ding....dong.

#2336 4 years ago

I just put in a support ticket for my pooling. Figured I should make them aware/document it before it gets worse. From the looks of it, doubtful they will do anything but can't complain if I don't file a ticket...

#2466 4 years ago

They better start taking care of these now or they won't have to worry about clearcoat in the future because they'll be out of business.

#2483 4 years ago
Quoted from Outlanes:

So some actual good news! I had the issue with the playfield as well and purchased the new one at cost like many have described.
Today I got a call from Jack, hes refunding me for the playfield cost. So my replacement playfield is free. Completely unsolicited call, just called me out of the blue.
Was nice for him to call, and I feel made whole. sure I'll have to do a playfield swap at some point. But this feels right.
Good on jjp. Thanks jack.

Swapping THAT playfield? I'd hardly be saying thank you.

#2486 4 years ago

Just speculating as no one really knows the cause...
So....if it's bad clear, that no matter how long it sits, will never properly cure....
Sure will suck if you swap a playfield and have the same issues.

I guess we won't know for some time.

btw, I have rec'd no contact from my ticket besides the "We rec'd your ticket" email.

#2504 4 years ago

I got a response to my washer kit request immediately. Haven't heard bunk from my my playfield is pooling email.

#2529 4 years ago

The heat? LOL.
Classic.
Must be the global warming. Affecting pinball now too. Geesh.

Must have been unseasonably hot in April when I picked mine up in Jersey.

#2577 4 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

No call yet for me either. I double-checked my support ticket and it was the end of August. I am going to be patient and give them more time as it will take some effort to contact everyone if they are undertaking that endeavor.

Shouldn't take that long since it's only a few machines, right?

2 weeks later
#2623 4 years ago
Quoted from jarozi:

I opened a ticket for my playfield issues and have recieved zero response. I opened a ticket for an unrelated issue since then and got a near immediate response.

Same.

3 weeks later
#2690 4 years ago

I finally got an email conversation going with one of the fellas over JJP. My game is fairly defect free...for now. I noticed some mushrooming around a couple posts, mostly the tortuga. Every potential problem area has been covered by a cliffy or the washer fix, so I couldn't send them pics without removing those things, which I didn't feel like doing. I just wanted them to be aware of a potential issue and what my recourse would be if I had major issues down the road.
I was told that if something should happen in the future, they could send me a playfield. So, how long will they have playfields in inventory? Months/years?...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

29,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gliebig.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-who-has-playfield-dimples-cracking-wear-around-star-posts-?tu=gliebig and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.