New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 242867)

PoTC - Who has playfield cracking & wear around sling posts?

By harryhoudini

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 2,995 posts
  • 219 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 days ago by Adipocere
  • Topic is favorited by 63 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What kind of issues are you seeing?”

• I have visible dimples but no chipping 45 votes
    22%
  • I can see chipping but haven't done anything yet 68 votes
    33%
  • I can see chipping and installed mylar, washer and/or larger star post 31 votes
    15%
  • My playfield looks fine (but I haven't removed the star posts) 31 votes
    15%
  • I removed the star posts and my playfield looks fine 15 votes
    7%
  • My game had clear washers installed from the factory 15 votes
    7%

(Multiple choice - 205 votes by 193 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 414 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

8a08956226ce33ab4cbce84ac85256fac4d2c495 (resized).jpg
272de6fede9fee8a8547778ad012df344b85326e (resized).jpg
20200319_164738 (resized).jpg
AEF37959-C604-4A07-B193-2416A6A62929 (resized).jpeg
F10537D7-D970-4859-B5C9-CF482DF29BFA (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200320_103742 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200320_101453 (resized).jpg
917EEAC5-4AC1-4204-BDA8-5497FFCB4BAC (resized).jpeg
83458836-4863-4833-8D88-F5A9E65F9517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3627 (resized).jpeg
20200127_171934 (resized).jpg
Shocked.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
potc2_5234 (resized).jpg
3FC99A16-7187-44B6-811B-16DD827ABC65 (resized).jpeg
20200125_090027 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #306 Sling Post Remediation Efforts #1 Posted by harryhoudini (1 year ago)

Post #307 Sling Post Remediation Efforts #2 Posted by harryhoudini (1 year ago)

Post #432 Washer and Starpost Solution Posted by harryhoudini (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Zora.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#36 1 year ago

I get my POTC LE next week and therefore follow the slingshot/clearcoat issues with interest. Some thoughts from my side:

1. The whole issue is due to a bad construction of JJP. The playfield should have small holes in the playfield, in which the posts sit, so not on the clear, but in the wood. That would have prevented chipping even with sharp small posts. My Stern ST has this in the slingshot area.

2. The role of the slingshot plastics is not yet discussed. These plastics at least assist in the stability of the posts, they might be able to prevent strong pressure inwards from the sling movement if the plastics holes are properly drilled (without major space). Assuming that the chips result from the slingshot pressure inwards, a plastic can avoid this pressure if put on with slight pressure to the posts outwards (as a counter pressure to the sling pressure during gameplay). I will check the plastics when getting my LE and think of adding a clear hard plactics piece under the JJP plastics with individually drilled holes to create this counter pressure.

3. The whole group of slingshot posts are not constructed very well, because the cover plastics are connected with 2 posts only and not to the third, which has to bear the inward pressure without plastics counter assistance.

1 week later
#721 1 year ago

I just received my POTC last Thursday. Thanks to all of you who reported the sling post issues, so I was prepared well. My POTC has the small plastics under the Posts and soem minor dent in the clearcoat, but not a chip. The dent in my opinion is due (beside the fact the the clear possibly is not dry enough) to the fact that the hole in the plastic washer is too big so that the post can move on the washer and thus is not fixed.

I documented my protection actions in the following pictures. There are 2 ations: first is substitution of the pastic washers by (self cut) own ones and second fxing the whole goup of the 3 posts by an additional protection plastic (which takes away the pressure to the ground fix by the sling rubber, which is the best protection in my opinion).

The four pictures of the removed post shows the addition of the self cut plastic washer (with a narrow hole to fit exactly to the post metall). The seize was restricted to the holes in my playfield protector; without such protector I would have used bigger plastics. Next step was to add smooth rubber below the plastic, which is available in each colour and thus fits to each section of the playfield. After installing the post you can hardly see that anything was adjusted.

For the plastic cover fix I used the so called convolux protection plastics I purchased, which already has the 2 holes and drilled a third hole for the posts not fixed in the normal cover plastic (the very right and very left ones). But basically you can use every clear plastic for this purpose. Integrating the third post in the fix is the relevant step top do. After this the yellow protection plastic absorbs the slingshot pressure so that the ground fix of the posts should more or less get no pressure at all. The single posts do not move at all and the whole group of posts is very stabil.

The last picture shows the final look. I used two colours (brown and blue) for the smooth rubbers, which are hardly noticable. The drilled third hole in the yellow plastic is hidden by the cover plastic anyway. Now I am very satisfied with the result.

Possibly an alternative to the big black starposts with the thick black rubber below. Personally I do not like that look.

IMG_3236 (resized).JPGIMG_3237 (resized).JPGIMG_3238 (resized).JPGIMG_3239 (resized).JPGIMG_3240 (resized).JPGIMG_3241 (resized).JPGIMG_3242 (resized).JPGIMG_3232 (resized).JPGIMG_3233 (resized).JPGIMG_3234 (resized).JPGIMG_3243 (resized).JPGIMG_3236 (resized).JPGIMG_3242 (resized).JPG
#725 1 year ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Wow, full on playfield protector install? That game is gonna be well protected!

Yes, I like the playfield protectors. An additional advantage is that you need no ugly cliffies, because the edges of the map hole and tortuga is protected automatically.

#760 1 year ago
Quoted from wesman:

I think is a pretty compelling solution also! How's it working out for you so far?
Did you get the yellow plastics from somewhere specific, and what materials did you use for your blue washers?

It works perfect. No sling escapes from the hammer and very few airballs.

The plastics are so called "convolux", which are offered in different colours for most of the machines (but as a complete set for many plastics in the POTC). They are offered by a German major pinball supplier, see www.freddys-pinball-paradise.de . The 2 holes in it are too wide to fix the posts. Therefore you need to put a very small plastic piece in the hole which fixes the metall from the post. It is hard to see in the pictures, but in one picture you can see the wider hole in the yellow plastic. The small piece is in that hole. A clear stripe below the yellow plastic secures this small piece from falling down out of the hole.

The soft rubbers below the (self cut) plastic washers should be available in hardware stores or other shops that offer paper, cartonage and similar goods. In Germany the material is called "Moosgummi", but that is possibly not very helpful for you.

#761 1 year ago

I just noticed that Mezel Mods has the plastic protector KIT in orange.

#782 1 year ago
Quoted from wesman:

Soooooo....you're not entirely back to factory? What led you down that way, and you said you noticed washer indentations? That's why I've been reluctant in going that route.
You feel just a lower power setting would be the ultimate solution?
I kinda think the space around the posts, seems the largest issue for vibration reasons. As such I kind of think Zora has a sound idea with the smaller internal washers.

I actually had bought their clear one's, and they were incredibly thick. So much so I couldn't get the black spacers back in, and even on the slings, the nuts were barely able to be installed.

The main point is that the plastic has 3 holes and fixes the position of the 3 posts to avoid any pressure inwards from the sling rubber. You can use any plastic, especially a self cut one (which will be hidden below the cover plastic anyway). If your purchased plastic is too thick, take a smaller one.

#866 1 year ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Looks very nice! Can you take a picture with a pinball alongside the slings, so I could compare, how high the sling rubber is in comparison to mine?

2 pictures from my ball at the slings after installing the rubber at the posts.

IMG_3272 (resized).JPGIMG_3273 (resized).JPG
1 month later
#1417 1 year ago

Although many of us seem to have at least small rippling around the posts other than the slingshot posts (which suffer additional pressure from the sling action). Generally we could turn the posts out, put a washer and/or some rubber in and thus might spread the pressure on more surface so that thus any chipping can be avoided. So far so hopes for a positive future.

The other alternative would b edoing nothing and hoping that the rippling and the clear will fully dry, get hard and no chipping occurs as well. My hope is that this works for posts other than the slingposts, which I have fixed separately.

My fear is that if I turn the posts for checking the situation and putting washer/rubbers below them, the turning action itself could cause chipping when the clear became dry and hard in the meantime and sticks at the posts. Thus any action would be counter productive so that doing nothing would be the safe side.

Has anybody experienced negative effects just from moving/turning the posts out?

8 months later
#2955 7 months ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

For those who haven't taken the I-lane post protection plunge yet, I'd like to recommend the attached washer from Home Depot. It preserves the original post placement if you want to keep it mean yet conceals existing bubbling/damage. As Ferris would say, it is so choice. I highly recommend if you have the means. Nylon nut on the bottom from the factory keeps it tight to the playfield.
[quoted image][quoted image]

My concern is that turning out the metal post will already may damage the clear coat, so that the protection causes more issues than doing nothing.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 239.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 28.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Zora.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside