(Topic ID: 242867)

PoTC - Who has playfield cracking & wear around sling posts?

By harryhoudini

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,006 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinDeadHead
  • Topic is favorited by 57 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What kind of issues are you seeing?”

• I have visible dimples but no chipping 47 votes
    22%
  • I can see chipping but haven't done anything yet 69 votes
    32%
  • I can see chipping and installed mylar, washer and/or larger star post 33 votes
    15%
  • My playfield looks fine (but I haven't removed the star posts) 33 votes
    15%
  • I removed the star posts and my playfield looks fine 16 votes
    7%
  • My game had clear washers installed from the factory 16 votes
    7%

(Multiple choice - 214 votes by 202 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8a08956226ce33ab4cbce84ac85256fac4d2c495 (resized).jpg
272de6fede9fee8a8547778ad012df344b85326e (resized).jpg
20200319_164738 (resized).jpg
AEF37959-C604-4A07-B193-2416A6A62929 (resized).jpeg
F10537D7-D970-4859-B5C9-CF482DF29BFA (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200320_103742 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200320_101453 (resized).jpg
917EEAC5-4AC1-4204-BDA8-5497FFCB4BAC (resized).jpeg
83458836-4863-4833-8D88-F5A9E65F9517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3627 (resized).jpeg
20200127_171934 (resized).jpg
Shocked.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
potc2_5234 (resized).jpg
3FC99A16-7187-44B6-811B-16DD827ABC65 (resized).jpeg
20200125_090027 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #306 Sling Post Remediation Efforts #1 Posted by harryhoudini (4 years ago)

Post #307 Sling Post Remediation Efforts #2 Posted by harryhoudini (4 years ago)

Post #432 Washer and Starpost Solution Posted by harryhoudini (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinballer67.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I get it...not in issue for you and that is great but I’m not
you.
It is my understanding that spooky has replaced pf’s and in
my
particular case the star posts I ordered aren’t hiding and
stopping
the peeling. Your fortunate to only have a small chip I
guess. Many
of the folks who posted pics, a star post will not cover and
stop
further erosion of clear coat and art.

yep, you have to get it right away. I got my LE at Allentown and
had more standard star posts installed with washers
underneath within a week -- so I'm fine. Some of this damage from y'all looks like not an easy fix/if at all.

1 month later
#1248 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

I personally have not. That game looks and plays flawless.

Yep, my AFMr is in perfect shape after 1,000 plays

1 month later
#1753 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I am, I have, and honestly I apologize to everyone on the thread.
These machines do represent substantial investments for all of us.
The chipping is real, and it sucks for everyone involved (including the manufacturers.)
I was able to get over it since mine was hideable with star posts, but others might not be so lucky if their damage is worse.
My initial goal with my protests was to try and encourage a spirit of compromise. I'm sorry that I've strayed from that.
I do hope the issues are resolved in a way that bring everyone peace and enjoyment with their machines.

Thanks for that. I am not retentive or uptight at all about my machines...and it bothers me that I have to perform minor fixes to get it 100% out of the box...and that I can look forward to PF degeneration of various types in the future.

This whole serious of events re: the PotC PF debacle just baffles me. A terrible example of lack of accountability and (from what I've read) terrible customer service and terrible customer relations on the part of JJP.

1 week later
#1963 4 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Personally have played a lot of CGC games and none of them have these issues that I have seen. I have played a number of AFM, MB, MMR everyone I have played is solid

I own an AFM LE. No PF issues whatsoever, but I would point out that the originals seem to shoot a bit more smooth. Nothing wrong with the remake and I recommend them highly. Just sayin'

I think the manufacturers, in general, could stand to spend more time making games "dialed in", fast, smooth and fun to play -- right out of the box. Just got back from Pinburgh and the difference between the well-tuned Papa machines and even NIB is astounding. The Papa machines are set up to screw you in various ways (no outlane rubbers, huge rubbers on shots that are otherwise too easy, etc), making you play better...but they are still smokin' smooth!!

2 weeks later
#2175 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

These PF issues are a complete disgrace to pinball. It’s really unbelievable. Makes modern pins look more and more inferior to what we had in the 90’s. IMO the only thing modern pins now have over older pins is an LCD screen, better sound and deeper code. The modern pins are inferior in every other way and that should be unacceptable to those who pay these high prices. If a company doesn’t survive because of poor quality that they could easily improve on I could care less if they go under. That’s on them 100%.

I'm with you on better sound, but LCD screen is often a waste for me and deeper code is better on Monday on BM 66 and a bore on Tuesday as I'm working away at inline drop target bonus multipliers and ripping the spinner in Fathom...

The PF issues for JJP need to be fixed or they will lose sales. The other manufacturers, it doesn't seem to be as big of an issue...I have a PoTC and have issues with the PF. I have a GoT LE and BM 66 and have no issues with the PF on either. The teensy chipping on TNA was fixed with rubber washers and was no biggie on my game/is finished/fixed. Had NO issues with AFM LE and ACNC re: PF.

#2193 4 years ago
Quoted from RichieWrench:

I AM OUT ON MY WILLY WONKA CE #12
For those of you that are wanting the #12 - I guess it will be available. I am taking a stance on this issue with the chipping playfields that or showing up on the POTC and now Willy Wonka (there might even be other as well). I have not had a chance to see the CE playfield and it might be amazing and all - But even if it is -- I am still out on my preorder.

Nice stand, Richie. I'm not purchasing *anything* newish (from ANY company) for as long as it takes for the problems to be admitted to, addressed properly and both the: 1. original problem and 2. solution for past problems and future PF manufacturing ... are clearly documented.

I agree that Joe at PinballStar is awesome and provides excellent customer service. A great dude. I ran into him at Pinburgh this year as a *player*, which I thought was supremely cool. This is not on him -- or any other vendor. They are not responsible for the product. Vendors have reasonable cause to assume they are selling a product that is not defective.

This is a problem at the manufacturing level. Whatever the cause for the PF problems, it is the job of individual pinball manufacturing companies (JJP, Stern, etc) to accept responsibility and (hopefully) offer solutions. It is their liability. These same companies can solve with the PF manufacturer(s) in any way they see fit (that is not any of our business and it isn't our concern (as customers) to question the competency of various PF manufacturers because that is not our level of concern).

The buck stops at the pinball manufacturing company level and it is their obligation to address it.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
1 week later
#2409 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Love the discussion. This is taking some interesting turns. I wonder if an online petition grouping all folks affected by JJP and/or Marco playfield issues would be a solidifying effort? I think it might be a opportune point in the timeline to pull together the disparate groups of people. It's nothing but a visual show of support but maybe a good next step. "Hey, we're sick of this crap response to a real issue".
https://magicalproductions.miiduu.com/pmc-post-playfield-protection-set

I'm in but I think we should target it at JJP. The liability is at the JJP level and we aren't even 100% sure it's Mirco. There are so many faulty PF's with JJP and Stern. Mirco was probably sub-contracted by JJP but JJP manufactured the item as a whole and represented it as a finished product to the world.

Thanks for offering to organize this.

#2436 4 years ago

LE #82 has blistering around sling posts and Tortuga hole post, no chips yet. Minor pooling elsewhere.

#2439 4 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

Did you install the JJP POTC "Post Kit" before these issues started to show? Just wondering. Trying to see if the JJP "bandaid" was a solution or
just to slow the inevitable. Thanks!

There are currently rubber washers on the sling posts and I installed star posts and put the strength lower to 16. The blistering around the sling posts hasn't spread yet. The blister around the post on the tortuga hole will chip unless a cliffy is installed and I'm not sure what to call it but there is a rivet-like thing between A and T that has minor blistering that may lead to a chip in the future -- as it has on other PoTC's.

#2508 4 years ago

It is something. Good on JJP to some degree, but it doesn't solve the problem of the future PF swap...which will cost a minimum of $1,000 and probably more.

What about those purchasers, like me, who have blisters under the slings but no chipping yet because we covered these with washers? I guess we play it until we get chipping, or are we stuck if the PF chips in a year or two, elsewhere, due to the faulty clearcoat?

#2565 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Seems like a smaller washer might be prudent if you have a cliffy under it.
I never noticed it before but i checked and the ball definitely contacts the edge of washer, that can’t be good for the ball.

I've noticed this too, it probably will nick the ball like the t-nut -- so something should be done AND I have slight pooling around the bottom of the washer beneath the post (I've noticed this on some PoTC's)...so the blister will probably pop at some point.

I'm thinking maybe a small rubber washer would be better under that particular post.

Question: where can I purchase PoTC cliffys?

Thanks

#2572 4 years ago

Yeah I know been to Cliffy but they don't list Pirates. I'll send them a PM.

thanks

2 weeks later
#2625 4 years ago

Good on you, JJP! Sounds like these refunds are rolling in.

Way to make it right!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinballer67.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-who-has-playfield-dimples-cracking-wear-around-star-posts-?tu=Pinballer67 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.