(Topic ID: 242867)

PoTC - Who has playfield cracking & wear around sling posts?

By harryhoudini

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,006 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinDeadHead
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What kind of issues are you seeing?”

• I have visible dimples but no chipping 47 votes
    22%
  • I can see chipping but haven't done anything yet 69 votes
    32%
  • I can see chipping and installed mylar, washer and/or larger star post 33 votes
    15%
  • My playfield looks fine (but I haven't removed the star posts) 33 votes
    15%
  • I removed the star posts and my playfield looks fine 16 votes
    7%
  • My game had clear washers installed from the factory 16 votes
    7%

(Multiple choice - 214 votes by 202 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8a08956226ce33ab4cbce84ac85256fac4d2c495 (resized).jpg
272de6fede9fee8a8547778ad012df344b85326e (resized).jpg
20200319_164738 (resized).jpg
AEF37959-C604-4A07-B193-2416A6A62929 (resized).jpeg
F10537D7-D970-4859-B5C9-CF482DF29BFA (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200320_103742 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200320_101453 (resized).jpg
917EEAC5-4AC1-4204-BDA8-5497FFCB4BAC (resized).jpeg
83458836-4863-4833-8D88-F5A9E65F9517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3627 (resized).jpeg
20200127_171934 (resized).jpg
Shocked.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
potc2_5234 (resized).jpg
3FC99A16-7187-44B6-811B-16DD827ABC65 (resized).jpeg
20200125_090027 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #306 Sling Post Remediation Efforts #1 Posted by harryhoudini (4 years ago)

Post #307 Sling Post Remediation Efforts #2 Posted by harryhoudini (4 years ago)

Post #432 Washer and Starpost Solution Posted by harryhoudini (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JY64.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

This is a quality issue from what I'm reading. Some posts used have a protruding edge, image below is a closeup from the one above, this is why the issue hasn't occurred on all games. Any playfield using a post like below will end up having the post dig into the clear.
JJP has used similar designed post for years without issue so what changed? Did JJP change post manufacturers or did the existing manufacturer change the design? I really hope JJP didn't change post manufacturers to save 25 cents per game as at today's prices there's no excuse for cuts in quality. My 2/4 build date posts are smooth on the bottom and came with plastic washers installed from the factory so JJP realized they needed to do something.
[quoted image]

LOL if this were a Stern game you would be on a Stern cost cut rant for such a small run this does not seem to be a small issue

#95 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Seems to me like it's the posts that are to blame here. That
post on the right would do this kind of damage to any playfield no
matter who made it!

Post or clear the buck still stops with JJP

#190 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Guys, I'm sorry but having to resort to double washers under posts is absolutely bananas.
Reading through all of these JJPOTC threads is blowing my mind. Has there ever been a game with this many issues before? I'm truly stunned.
I was hoping to eventually buy a used LE down the road but there is a rolodex worth of crap to check before I'd ever pull the trigger on that deal. I just hope these issues don't continue to get worse for you guys. It's such a great game otherwise. The best JJP IMO.

JJPOTC has been a shit show from the start because the club thread was so much a fix the POTC thread this was started a month ago and now has over 1000 post https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues

#203 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Do you ever stop trolling against JJP?

Wow really you are all over Stern threads trashing them waa waa waa and you get upset because I share a thread that a POTC owner started

aa86634965844d5fc0c5558dbe132eb94b74a016 (resized).jpgaa86634965844d5fc0c5558dbe132eb94b74a016 (resized).jpg
#207 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Yes, it sucks this is happening. Obviously none of us want the playfields to chip. The reality is that it's happening, and it's not unique to JJP.
Ask yourself the following questions:
1. Do you love playing your game? (If not, sell it as there are people who want to.)
2. Do you want JJP to succeed?
In my view, this whole thread ought to be drained. All it's doing is whipping people into a frenzy and trying to get a mass riot going against JJP, which is going to hurt them and ultimately, ourselves.
Yes this situation sucks. Is covering the damage with wider posts or washers a reasonable solution? I say that it is.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/munsters-worse-code-ever https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-final-code-update-wish-list-1/page/4#post-4981486 https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-bad-are-beatles-sales-so-far/page/18#post-4869655 these are all shit stirring threads it's all part of pinside

#209 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

A professional troll. Pretty pathetic, actually.

Lol the pot calling the kettle black https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-next-pin-black-knight-sword-of-rage-pinball?tu=gliebig hear is you trashing the BK on a stern thread

#214 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I own more Sterns than I do JJP.
[comment removed]

I don't care what you own you are the one who started the name calling

#483 4 years ago
Quoted from CollinT:

Disclaimer: I do not own this machine

It is a shame you feel the need to post this

#585 4 years ago

The best thing that can be said about this thread is that it is not growing it was in the mid-70s poster the other day and has not changed

#636 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

The best thing that can be said about this thread is that it is not growing it was in the mid-70s poster the other day and has not changed

LOL go figure in one day the thread goes from 75 contributors to 84 more issues or more defenders?

#637 4 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

It seems that JJP should rereleased this game with corrected playfields. Which leads to this follow up: how infuriating would that be to all the first adopters?? I tried to buy a potc le, but failed to obtain one. I ended up "settling" on dialed in le. I guess I'm glad I did. I still feel this game deserves more units made, but also to be sorted out, first.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

You are implying that all games have cracking at the sling posts and that isn't the case.

He said no such thing but even a %5 rate would be a huge issue

#641 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

He's not even a fun or clever troll.
Keep trying though!

If your trying for clever you really do need to keep trying lol

7 months later
#2781 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

If Jack delivers for at least some people, it's better than how American Pinball handled the faulty power supply issue. They charge you $150 to replace the defective part, but will refund you on the next machine you buy. How rich of them!

LOL "IF" is the middle word in life

2 weeks later
#2787 4 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

Saw over on our FB JJP Fan page today where a member received a Wonka PF warranty replacement this week. Pretty awesome.

And this is what he had to say "Okay then. Now what??" a blank playfield is a big job for an experienced pin mechanic

#2824 4 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Yeah that was me. So I got a new playfield. What the hell am I supposed to do now? There's no way I'm qualified to swap it in.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Quoted from KornFreak28:

Anybody can swap a playfield. Take lots of pictures and take it step by step. Get a rotisserie and you should be fine

One needs two playfield rotisseries not one side by side you move the parts from one playfield to the other but first time you might want to take a week off work as it is not a weekend job. Play your game enjoy your game sell your game

#2826 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

it does tend to collect the ball dust!

3 weeks later
#2896 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Clearly what u describe is what should be done, but JJP and Stern have zero interest in paying for it. Thats really the big problem in this industry. They want to sell you high priced games yet really have no interest providing a real warranty. They are all great at getting on the phone and helping you diagnose a problem, and subsequently send spare parts, but when it comes to the labor they all disappear quickly.

Do you really think that if you bought a new car and had a chip the size of a nickel the dealer would repaint the entire car I don't think so

#2900 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I actually think they would provide the labor and repaint the area that needed repainting...the whole car wouldn't require a new paint job just like the whole pinball machine wouldn't need to be replaced.....the difference is yes they would do ALL the work if the vehicle was new and under warranty.

Sounds good to me a person who does touchup on chipping playfields as for pooling suck it up

#2906 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

The point is its a manufacturing issue and thus their responsibility....not sure what your point is...makes ZERO sense

My point is the amount of work people expect for a game with just pooling is ridiculous and is pointless. My self I sold my AC/DC near two years ago and have still not bought a new game if you have been buying over the last 18 months you knew the chance you were taking and some of the fault lies with you

#2907 4 years ago

doppelganger or dupe account

IMG_3627 (resized).jpegIMG_3627 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#2933 4 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

No cracking for me, just a couple dimples...
[quoted image][quoted image]

On a Stern game people would be bitching about craters and seeing the wood grain

#2936 4 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

Definitely something going on at Mirco with some of these playfields the last couple years.

To be clear that playfield would not bother me as you have to look for the issues to see them

#2939 4 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

I think it's just that the wood isn't as hard as the "good old days".
My Whitewater is almost 30 years old and has never had dimples...though it does have significant planking.
I don't know if Mirco just can't get the "good" wood, or if it is trying to save money by using something cheaper.
I would hope that the problem is getting the wood, as I would think that the wood material cost is only a small part of what it costs to produce the playfields.

The wood is not soft if you look at the lines that show the grain a tight wood grain = a hardwood

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JY64.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-who-has-playfield-dimples-cracking-wear-around-star-posts-?tu=JY64 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.