(Topic ID: 242867)

PoTC - Who has playfield cracking & wear around sling posts?

By harryhoudini

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,006 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinDeadHead
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What kind of issues are you seeing?”

• I have visible dimples but no chipping 47 votes
    22%
  • I can see chipping but haven't done anything yet 69 votes
    32%
  • I can see chipping and installed mylar, washer and/or larger star post 33 votes
    15%
  • My playfield looks fine (but I haven't removed the star posts) 33 votes
    15%
  • I removed the star posts and my playfield looks fine 16 votes
    7%
  • My game had clear washers installed from the factory 16 votes
    7%

(Multiple choice - 214 votes by 202 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8a08956226ce33ab4cbce84ac85256fac4d2c495 (resized).jpg
272de6fede9fee8a8547778ad012df344b85326e (resized).jpg
20200319_164738 (resized).jpg
AEF37959-C604-4A07-B193-2416A6A62929 (resized).jpeg
F10537D7-D970-4859-B5C9-CF482DF29BFA (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200320_103742 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200320_101453 (resized).jpg
917EEAC5-4AC1-4204-BDA8-5497FFCB4BAC (resized).jpeg
83458836-4863-4833-8D88-F5A9E65F9517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3627 (resized).jpeg
20200127_171934 (resized).jpg
Shocked.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
potc2_5234 (resized).jpg
3FC99A16-7187-44B6-811B-16DD827ABC65 (resized).jpeg
20200125_090027 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,006 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 61.
#401 4 years ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

Side question-but related. For those who want to put lexan circles under the slingshot plastics to protect them, what's the correct size? 1 inch or 3/4 inch OD? Thanks

I think 3/4. Same od as the rubber ones from Lowes. Be careful though..Just doing lexan will cause indents in the clear. I had them on for one day and noticed marks when I removed them. I'd highly recommend going with something softer.

#402 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I think 3/4. Same od as the rubber ones from Lowes. Be careful though..Just doing lexan will cause indents in the clear. I had them on for one day and noticed marks when I removed them. I'd highly recommend going with something softer.

I'm talking about for under the slingshot plastics to protect them from airballage and what not, not for under the posts..

#403 4 years ago

oh.

#404 4 years ago

Hammer slipping out can be due to slings being overpowered.

#405 4 years ago

Side question-but related. For those who want to put lexan circles under the slingshot plastics to protect them, what's the correct size? 1 inch or 3/4 inch OD? Thanks

Depends on the radius of the plastic corner. Pretty sure I used 1" for the post closest to the flippers. I didn't use anything under the top post but I think based on the curve of the plastic a 3/4" would work.

20190328_190325 (resized).jpg20190328_190325 (resized).jpg
#406 4 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Does increasing the miliseconds in the slingshot and/or pop bumper settings mean more powered or less power?

I would guess more as in, more time between fires, thus lowering the power, but usually increasing things means more power...

#407 4 years ago

Anyone make a black star post?

#408 4 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

I’m starting to think this as well since you mentioned it.

I did have this happen when I first got the machine along with some crazy airballs of the slings.

Since I dialed it back a few, don’t think it ever happened again.

#410 4 years ago

I'm talking about for under the slingshot plastics to protect them from airballage and what not, not for under the posts..

1" is what I used
3/4" under the posts

0429191436a.jpg0429191436a.jpg

#411 4 years ago

When I ordered an assortment didn’t see the black listed, and it wasn’t pictured.

#412 4 years ago

I'm contemplating replacing all of the posts but that breaks my 1 rule in pinball.....if it isn't broken don't try and fix it! I only have one post issue - thoughts on just keeping as is? I guess i can monitor the situation and not do anything until I see something.

#413 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I'm contemplating replacing all of the posts but that breaks my 1 rule in pinball.....if it isn't broken don't try and fix it! I only have one post issue - thoughts on just keeping as is? I guess i can monitor the situation and not do anything until I see something.

That is what I tried at first. Your mileage may be different but mine kept on getting worse and cracking further around the post. Eventually you could get to the point where it is all the way around and that would probably end there. It never got too far into the playfield that I couldn't cover it with a star post for the most part.

Interesting...on the poll right now it is just about 50/50. But you always assume that those that don't vote or see the thread, don't have issues.

#414 4 years ago

So...when everyone is playing around with different posts/washers....how hard are y'all tightening the posts back down? I want to be sure I'm not over/underdoing it.

#415 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

So...when everyone is playing around with different posts/washers....how hard are y'all tightening the posts back down? I want to be sure I'm not over/underdoing it.

I went JUST past hand tight, seemed to be more than enough for the larger star posts.

Quoted from VillaThrills:

That is what I tried at first. Your mileage may be different but mine kept on getting worse and cracking further around the post. Eventually you could get to the point where it is all the way around and that would probably end there. It never got too far into the playfield that I couldn't cover it with a star post for the most part.
Interesting...on the poll right now it is just about 50/50. But you always assume that those that don't vote or see the thread, don't have issues.

One of mine is right on the edge of being too wide to be covered, so yes, better to protect now IMHO.

Even at 50/50 that's WAY too many.

#416 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Don't be foolish. This is clearly a design defect.

I waited because when I bought the game in April it was a November build and I figured a chance the clear had cured, and the lack of cure plus post pressure maybe was the reason for the situation on other games.

Even then I saw faint signs of rippling on my own, but thought maybe it came like that from factory.

It hasn't suffered cracking or chipping yet but after 100-150 plays of my own I saw my post clearcoats further ripple. So curing of the clear has nothing to do with it.

It's a question of physics. Urethane clearcoat which isn't really bonded to the wood anyway plus repeated pressure from plastic.

No more wait and see from this boy. I figure I'm one of the lucky ones, as I'll put down the Lowe's rubber washers, clear starposts, clear superbands instead of Titans, and that should be all she wrote, folks.

Protect now, or surely cry later.

#417 4 years ago

Don't be foolish. This is clearly a design defect. I waited and haven't suffered cracking or chipping but after 100-150 plays I saw the clearcoat further ripple. No more wait and see from this boy. Protect now, or cry later.

I'm kinda of the same mindset, being in the same position as yourself. What steps will you be taking?

I've got tools to cut mylar circles with. Not sure how much further I should go past that currently.

#418 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I'm kinda of the same mindset, being in the same position as yourself. What steps will you be taking?
I've got tools to cut mylar circles with. Not sure how much further I should go past that currently.

Do the rubber washers and star posts.

#419 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Mylar is a fake fix and pointless for this repair. See my post above from DFW restore master Keith Holbrook.

Rubber washers from Lowe's plus starposts plus switching out the Titans with clear superbands.

Lower the power of the slings dramatically. Hope is, won't be hammer/ball catch issues with the tighter superbands.

I'll also put lexan circles under the slingshot plastics themselves, 1 inch on bottom, 3/4 inch on top.

I'd do the gummy ones ZaphX uses but we know for sure they leave indentations, my hope is the rubber ones don't. We know for sure they did well in TNA, though.

#420 4 years ago

Don't be foolish. This is clearly a design defect.
I waited because when I bought the game in April it was a November build and I figured a chance the clear had cured, and the lack of cure plus post pressure maybe was the reason for the situation on other games.
Even then I saw faint signs of rippling on my own, but thought maybe it came like that from factory.
It hasn't suffered cracking or chipping yet but after 100-150 plays of my own I saw my post clearcoats further ripple. So curing of the clear has nothing to do with it.
It's a question of physics. Urethane clearcoat which isn't really bonded to the wood anyway plus repeated pressure from plastic.
No more wait and see from this boy. I figure I'm one of the lucky ones, as I'll put down the Lowe's rubber washers, clear starposts, clear superbands instead of Titans, and that should be all she wrote, folks.
Protect now, or surely cry later.

Listen to this guy. ^^^

Would like to know how the superbands work out.

#421 4 years ago

Mylar is a fake fix and pointless for this repair. See my post above from DFW restore master Keith Holbrook.
Rubber washers from Lowe's plus starposts plus switching out the Titans with clear superbands. I'll also put lexan circles under the slingshot plastics themselves, 1 inch on bottom, 3/4 inch on top. I'd do the gummy ones ZaphX uses but we know for sure they leave indentations, my hope is the rubber ones don't. We know for sure they did well in TNA, though.

Star posts should be all that is needed... Assuming damage has not started already.

#422 4 years ago

I have the star posts and neoprene washers from Lowe’s.

I’ll report back later once all is back together.

#423 4 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

Star posts should be all that is needed... Assuming damage has not started already.

Why risk it?

#424 4 years ago

I don't consider it a risk. No other games have garbage under the posts... Why should this one? The problem is the narrow base and sharp edge on the OE posts.

#425 4 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

WRONG. Same physics principle applies. Urethane not bonded to wood on plastic pressure. Even a larger surface area, will eventually damage. And mere imprints were already visible nearly immediately from those who tried this route.

#426 4 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

Not at all. There is irrefutable proof that anything directly contacting the playfield that is tightened down and has tension on it is causing divots and indentation. At minimum star posts and mylar, but even then it is very concerning.

#427 4 years ago

I'd do the gummy ones ZaphX uses but we know for sure they leave indentations, my hope is the rubber ones don't. We know for sure they did well in TNA, though.

My take is that anything is going to leave indentations. The clear is soft and the effect is the same depth as a ball dimple.

Those posts take a lot of shock from the repeated violent vibrations.

#428 4 years ago

Mylar sure won't do crap to prevent divots.

#429 4 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

I don't consider it a risk. No other games have garbage under the posts... Why should this one? The problem is the narrow base and sharp edge on the OE posts.

Wrong. TNA has this problem, documented owners using this fix (rubber washer) with success. The issue is the sharp posts and the playfield coating/finish/curing combined, it seems. Narrow posts are too narrow probably for rubber washers, but if you want it worth a shot. That is why everyone is going to star posts with rubber washers. Larger area, easier to use the washer, no sharp edges like the failed narrow posts and covers up any rippling or chipping that is happening.

#430 4 years ago

Does anyone have the links for starposts and Lowes washers readily available? If not, I'll scroll through this entire thread...

#431 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Wrong. TNA has this problem, documented owners using this fix (rubber washer) with success. The issue is the sharp posts and the playfield coating/finish/curing combined, it seems. Narrow posts are too narrow probably for rubber washers, but if you want it worth a shot. That is why everyone is going to star posts with rubber washers. Larger area, easier to use the washer, no sharp edges like the failed narrow posts and covers up any rippling or chipping that is happening.

Wrong back at ya

#432 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Does anyone have the links for starposts and Lowes washers readily available? If not, I'll scroll through this entire thread...

Boom
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-2-Count-5-16-in-x-3-4-in-Neoprene-Standard-SAE-Fender-Washers/3012346
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8319-13 (clear or choose colors)

Added over 5 years ago:

To add some clarity most users seem to be suggesting the double star post is more idea. If you put the rubber on the lower rung then it is much closer to the original height of the rubber with the narrow post, see picture: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-who-has-playfield-dimples-cracking-wear-around-star-posts-/page/14#post-5010042

Rubber - https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-2-Count-5-16-in-x-3-4-in-Neoprene-Standard-SAE-Fender-Washers/3012346
Star Post - https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8247-7

So the suggestion is from bottom up:
- Rubber Washer
- Double Star Post
- Lexan Washer
- Sling Plastic
- Washer
- Nut

Added over 5 years ago:

PETG washers for under the plastics: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/31-34-GD

#433 4 years ago

Star posts and don't make them gorilla tight when installing.

#434 4 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

Wrong back at ya

Heh, sorry.. getting a bit annoyed, we have enough evidence now as to what the issue is and what a temporary remediation is along with what doesn't seem to be working. Trying not to call it a fix because the manufacturer hasn't commented and we can't know the longevity of anything we are doing.

#435 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

My take is that anything is going to leave indentations. The clear is soft and the effect is the same depth as a ball dimple.
Those posts take a lot of shock from the repeated violent vibrations.

Maybe. But if so that's still a small price for success. My concern with the gummies is that they might have been too maleable and allowed the starposts to lightly press down into the clear when tightened down.

My hope is the rubber ones keep the starposts from making contact with the playfield at all no matter what the impact, putting the pressure on the playfield from the rubber and the rubber alone.

#436 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Heh, sorry.. getting a bit annoyed, we have enough evidence now as to what the issue is and what a temporary remediation is along with what doesn't seem to be working. Trying not to call it a fix because the manufacturer hasn't commented and we can't know the longevity of anything we are doing.

Except the TNA people with the same problem so I guess 1 year+ of verified damage control, presumably some on location too which in a home can be a lifetime..

#437 4 years ago

Maybe. But if so that's still a small price for success. My concern with the gummies is that they might have been too maleable and allowed the starposts to lightly press down into the clear when tightened down.
My hope is the rubber ones keep the starposts from making contact with the playfield at all no matter what the impact, putting the pressure on the playfield from the rubber and the rubber alone.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

All I know is, the depressions and the chipping are 100% hidden under the star posts so I am really not as twisted about this as the rest of the thread seems to be.

My only concern is solving the escaped kickers on the slings because that's annoying AF. Hoping the lower position on the double star posts will solve it, if not I will try different rings.

#438 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
All I know is, the depressions and the chipping are 100% hidden under the star posts so I am really not as twisted about this as the rest of the thread seems to be.
My only concern is solving the escaped kickers on the slings because that's annoying AF. Hoping the lower position on the double star posts will solve it, if not I will try different rings.

FWIW I had some sling escapes;

I initially tried slightly smaller white rubber rings; if anything this made things like airballs worse.

Then I tried dialing down the sling power more, and more; still getting some extreme sling action rarely (e.g. during multiballs). Eventually I have switched both slings back to the titan rubbers the game shipped with.

This plus low sling power seems okay for now! I have not noticed the slings being wimpy.

#439 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Working great so far on my POTC and TNA (and the black is hardly noticeable.)

Are you using star post on potc or the skinny ones? I have the black rubber on tna and so far so good.

#441 4 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I initially tried slightly smaller white rubber rings; if anything this made things like airballs worse.
Then I tried dialing down the sling power more, and more; still getting some extreme sling action rarely (e.g. during multiballs). Eventually I have switched both slings back to the titan rubbers the game shipped with.
This plus low sling power seems okay for now! I have not noticed the slings being wimpy.

I'm using Titans. Just ordered some PerfectPlay and will try those. I never saw the escapes until the post mod.

#442 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

awesome thanks! So Lowes washers are not rubber but steel?

they are neoprene so not steel

#443 4 years ago
Quoted from estrader:

they are neoprene so not steel

ok got it

#444 4 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

What setting did you end up dialing it down to? Figure I'd do that as well.

#445 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh...I don't care a lick about marks going on concealed under the posts so long as it stays contained there

That said the whole gummy possibly eating the post thing is bizarre. Plus- didn't the gummy ones work on TNA without sling escapes? Not sure why they wouldn't work here too, then.

Be interested to see if gummy or neoprene plus superbands plus minimal sling power setting would be the fix, if we take the eating the post problem as urban legend, that is..

I'd rather those adjustments then put in those ugly double posts.

#446 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

To your point, wouldn't this happening PRETTY MUCH instant kill any potentially amazing game that you're having?

Not fun...

#447 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

To your point, wouldn't this happening PRETTY MUCH instant kill any potentially amazing game that you're having?
Not fun...

Obviously

#448 4 years ago

FWIW ... and of course I only have a little over 100 plays (I actually have that many... =P) .. It only happened once - on the right side. Recall that my CE came with the large metal washers.

Almost seems like dumb luck, but if/when it happens again I guess I'll reduce the slings as well and see if that fixes 100%.

#449 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I don't think the double setting star post will make a difference. From what I've been experimenting with, it isn't the height that is effecting the slings but the width of the star posts that pull the rubber from the switches.
The skinny post with a lexan AND rubber washer were obviously higher and the slings fired normally.
I think either is fine. The most important thing, IMO, is having the rubber washer.

Have you experienced escaped kickers with your solution?

#450 4 years ago

I'll probably see my way out after this post, but ...

I personally feel that it should not be understated or forgotten or lost in translation that TNA owners PRETTY MUCH had their own postgate and with "their fix/solution", after at least a year ... it has worked.

Hopefully that restores some confidence...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

24,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
Wanted
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

There are 3,006 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 61.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-who-has-playfield-dimples-cracking-wear-around-star-posts-/page/9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.