(Topic ID: 242867)

PoTC - Who has playfield cracking & wear around sling posts?

By harryhoudini

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,006 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinDeadHead
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What kind of issues are you seeing?”

• I have visible dimples but no chipping 47 votes
    22%
  • I can see chipping but haven't done anything yet 69 votes
    32%
  • I can see chipping and installed mylar, washer and/or larger star post 33 votes
    15%
  • My playfield looks fine (but I haven't removed the star posts) 33 votes
    15%
  • I removed the star posts and my playfield looks fine 16 votes
    7%
  • My game had clear washers installed from the factory 16 votes
    7%

(Multiple choice - 214 votes by 202 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8a08956226ce33ab4cbce84ac85256fac4d2c495 (resized).jpg
272de6fede9fee8a8547778ad012df344b85326e (resized).jpg
20200319_164738 (resized).jpg
AEF37959-C604-4A07-B193-2416A6A62929 (resized).jpeg
F10537D7-D970-4859-B5C9-CF482DF29BFA (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200320_103742 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200320_101453 (resized).jpg
917EEAC5-4AC1-4204-BDA8-5497FFCB4BAC (resized).jpeg
83458836-4863-4833-8D88-F5A9E65F9517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3627 (resized).jpeg
20200127_171934 (resized).jpg
Shocked.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
potc2_5234 (resized).jpg
3FC99A16-7187-44B6-811B-16DD827ABC65 (resized).jpeg
20200125_090027 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,006 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 61.
#251 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

If a game does have chipping heres what I would recommend doing.
1. With a small detail brush apply clear to damaged area, allow to dry
2. Mylar over top, 1-2 layers
3. Install starposts over thin plastic / lexan washers
I believe the "solution" above would minimize further damage and make existing damage not noticeable.

Thats all great but... lets just say im a customer who wasn't handy who will do this and what will it cost. Keep in mind to do this on all those bad posts means removing ship, and ball launch ramp etc.

#252 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

3. Install starposts over thin plastic / lexan washers
I believe the "solution" above would minimize further damage and make existing damage not noticeable.

Thin plastic lexan source? I have washers from all the normal pinball suppliers and they are all thick. Wondering where to get ones like JJP used.

#253 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Holy smokes...
Didn't you just get this the other week? How many plays do you have on it?

I got it 12/18 there is way over 1000 plays on it not sure of the count because first time wiped with update 98. Second wipe came with a hard drive and motherboard replacement.

#254 4 years ago

Does the issue happen to all Pirates ? Or the late manufacture models (march 2019) are ok ?

#255 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

3. Install star posts over thin plastic / lexan washers that are the diameter of the star posts.

*4. Don't forget to trim/sand down the star post bases by the height of the washers or the slings will sit too high, reports all over here this causes problems.

*Not an expert but this totally makes sense and was suggested by another in this thread

#256 4 years ago
Quoted from Mnluz:

Does the issue happen to all Pirates ? Or the late manufacture models (march 2019) are ok ?

At some point JJP started putting plastic washers underneath the posts. My 2/4 built LE has them and also noticed a thin plastic / lexan washer under the the star post located underneath the Black Pearl ramp. No wear present. 2/4 is well before these issues were being reported at this level so someone at JJP must have heard something and implemented a change on the line.

#257 4 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

Soon you won't be able to give your CE away.
Better sell now.

This is the most fun I have ever had playing pinball. It will not matter if all the art is gone it will still play the same. We can all kinda thank the EPA for some of this. They can no longer use paints (clear coat) of the past.

#258 4 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

Shit posts as in things Pinsiders comment about
Or
Shit posts as in plastic posts that cause playfield problems?

I was referring to the poor quality sling posts that are uneven at the base with sharp material protruding.

I posted a pretty good side by side of what a good one looks like vs what they used.

#259 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

At some point JJP started putting plastic washers underneath the posts. My 2/4 built LE has them and also noticed a thin plastic / lexan washer under the the star post located underneath the Black Pearl ramp. No wear present. 2/4 is well before these issues were being reported at this level so someone at JJP must have heard something and implemented a change on the line.

Mine came with the small washers and I have no issues, but I'm thinking about doing the star posts with rubber washers. I think that would have to be better than having the little hard washer potentially moving around.

#260 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Start making offers

Wish you were closer!

#261 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Mine came with the small washers and I have no issues, but I'm thinking about doing the star posts with rubber washers. I think that would have to be better than having the little hard washer potentially moving around.

Where does one buy a rubber washer that is roughly the same size as the Star post?

#262 4 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

Wish you were closer!

I’m not selling have to hit one of the others up

#263 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Where does one buy a rubber washer that is roughly the same size as the Star post?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-2-Count-5-16-in-x-3-4-in-Neoprene-Standard-SAE-Fender-Washers/3012346

#265 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

If you install these with the stars please report how they perform.

It will look just like the one with the green star posts pictured above. I have done it on my TNA and haven't noticed any issues.

#266 4 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Pinball manufacturers are taking advantage of the poor attitude of this community. Pinball has this antiquated 'manufacturing is hard' and 'just play your shittily manufactured game you whiner' logic.
Companies like Stern and JJP know that there will be an endless stream of their defenders like Sinestro, Panzer, WhoDey, MapleSyrup, Chambahz etc to defend the BULLSHIT.
Personally I've received a warped playfield in a NIB Stern game and they've told me that they don't give a fuck.
Wake up people, we need to support each other and band together against this BULLSHIT. They are railroading us.

Bah! Those annoying Stern shills!!!
I say we find em all and STRING EM UP!!! They’re to blame for all our pinball problems!!!

(Not to make light of these playfield issues. That’s really crappy. Hoping you guys are all made square. JJP has typically been great to deal with from my experience.)

Maken: don’t ever change buddy. You’re my favourite crazy Pinsider.

-Your Pal,
Chambahz

#267 4 years ago

I'm working on a cumulative post bringing all the solution options together.

#268 4 years ago

This is what I'm going with. Rubber/neoprene washers under star posts. Nothing hard or sharp to touch the playfield.

20190515_171718 (resized).jpg20190515_171718 (resized).jpg

#269 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

This is what I'm going with. Rubber/neoprene washers under star posts.
[quoted image]

Doesn’t look bad, any issue with the slings firing reliably?

#270 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Anyone get any tangible replies from JJP? I have not.

Only Asking! As you were not the original buyer is it possible since the game was registered to someone else with warranty possibly thats why they are not responding to your service tickets? Have you gone after the original owner that had it on route yet?

#271 4 years ago
Quoted from Ilushka85:

I have a ce also... aren't you glad you can no longer order a ce replacement Playfield because they do not exist?

Define does not exist?? Seems like the one I bought looks real??

IMG_3283 (resized).jpgIMG_3283 (resized).jpg
#272 4 years ago

I am trying a few things

1 - I am trying double star posts, where the sling channel is lower than the single star post. See the comparison the pinballlife folks helpfully provided.
2 - If I still get escaped sling kickers, I will then remove the washers and do the mylar discs. For now I’d like to keep them, as I feel the padding is a positive thing.

F745D908-1AA9-4F86-8C5C-09CDD1B865D3 (resized).jpegF745D908-1AA9-4F86-8C5C-09CDD1B865D3 (resized).jpeg
#273 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

[quoted image]

Does not exist on the jjp site for sale anymore

#274 4 years ago
Quoted from Ilushka85:

Does not exist on the jjp site for sale anymore

I'll sell you mine, no postgate either! lol $3,000 lolol JK

#275 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I'll sell you mine, no postgate either! lol $3,000 lolol JK

I’ll pay you 3k for it if you first install my posts with no washers the way the factory did. If no postgate we have a deal

#276 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I am trying a few things
1 - I am trying double star posts, where the sling channel is lower than the single star post. See the comparison the pinballlife folks helpfully provided.
2 - If I still get escaped sling kickers, I will then remove the washers and do the mylar discs. For now I’d like to keep them, as I feel the padding is a positive thing.
[quoted image]

What washers are you currently using? I know the gummy ones from amazon are a no go.

I'm guessing these are the double star posts you picked up?

https://www.pinballlife.com/plastic-translucent-double-star-posts-1-116-tall.html

#277 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

What washers are you currently using? I know the gummy ones from amazon are a no go.

The gummy ones from Amazon.

#278 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

The gummy ones from Amazon.

I thought those were eating at the single star posts?

I think I might try the lowe's ones posted up above.

#279 4 years ago

The neoprene ones from Lowe’s seem like they could be a good option since they compress a bit.

#280 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Only Asking! As you were not the original buyer is it possible since the game was registered to someone else with warranty possibly thats why they are not responding to your service tickets? Have you gone after the original owner that had it on route yet?

I am an original owner HUO. Chips after a month. No love here for any remediation. I offered to buy a new playfield at cost and was turned down.

#281 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Nothing JJP has said made any indication that a response was related in any way to which person currently owned the machine. In either case, it seems the same response is being made to original owners as well. But even then.. would you really think they should stand on that pedestal? The issue has no bearing on which person purchased directly from JJP or a distributor.

#282 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Nothing JJP has said made any indication that a response was related in any way to which person currently owned the machine. In either case, it seems the same response is being made to original owners as well. But even then.. would you really think they should stand on that pedestal? The issue has no bearing on which person purchased directly from JJP or a distributor.

If JJP does offer a solution to owners it would be under warranty most likely.

#283 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I am trying a few things
[quoted image]

Good idea! I definitely like how the doubles allow the sling to sit lower.

Will you have this done and tested today?

I don’t think I have these options due to the metal washers pre-installed, but may not have issue either. I’ll leave at that for now.

#284 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Unless PinballLife puts them on a one hour flight to me, no. When they arrive I will report.

#285 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Unless PinballLife puts them on a one hour flight to me, no. When they arrive I will report.

Haha

Right. I’m not even thinking. Back to bed!

#286 4 years ago

Has anyone considered o rings?

How often do they show up on pinball tables?

Idk if the rubber would be too hard, but they are tiny and could still create separation between the pf and posts.

#287 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Has anyone considered o rings?
How often do they show up on pinball tables?
Idk if the rubber would be too hard, but they are tiny and could still create separation between the pf and posts.

Those posts need to be pretty solid, don’t see how an o ring would provide enough support for the post.

#288 4 years ago

how about replacing the bad clear posts with ones that are flat with no bevel or sharp edges when I take delivery?

#289 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

how about replacing the bad clear posts with ones that are flat with no bevel or sharp edges when I take delivery?

AT LEAST do this (or sand them down) if they have a sharp edge and add mylar. No harm, no foul.

#290 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

If JJP does offer a solution to owners it would be under warranty most likely.

So are you implying that because I did not buy the game directly from a dealer or JJP that I would not be covered?

#291 4 years ago

these May work if people are looking for something simple. Part number Traxxas 1815, body washer. The hole is a little large, as they are .75 inch in diameter, but the material is like a lexan/thin plastic. It’s strong enough to not deform under pressure points, but weak enough it will compress just a bit. I think they sell the thicker type at Lowe’s as well, but those are usually a hard plastic and don’t compress much. Best of luck.

#292 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Good idea! I definitely like how the doubles allow the sling to sit lower.
I don’t think I have these options due to the metal washers pre-installed, but may not have issue either. I’ll leave at that for now.

Your doing it again. You do not Have this issue!! Step away from the thread and play your game till the next epidemic arises. Lol

#293 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Your doing it again. You do not Have this issue!! Step away from the thread and play your game till the next epidemic arises. Lol

Lol

#294 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

[quoted image]

This guy is very good with Photoshop.

#295 4 years ago

I think the point of this thread which Harry raises (thank you Harry) is to identify how much this is happening, report it to JJ and hopefully come up with a JJ endorsed solution. If that is not possible then come up with a solution that will resolve it in the best way possible.

Here is what we know:

1. All posts without the small washers installed at factory are going to be sharp. You need to ask JJ for the small washers. They will send.
2. Many machines have ripples around posts. These are delaminated clear coat that may or may not chip away.
3. Removing posts to put on washers may cause ripple to chip as it did to mine.
4. Even those with metal washers on their ce installed have chipping, so it is NOT just due to these sharp posts alone.
5. Star posts will cause a larger indent so once you go to these posts there is no going back
6. Excessively thick washers may impact the sling performance.
7. Mylar underneath needs a flat surface. Mine did not adhere because the posts were driven into the surface. I believe repair may not be strong enough under posts. For Mylar to work, maybe can only be used under star posts.
8. Slings are too strong and causing excessive strain. Turn them down

I personally just installed the washers and went back to playing whilst I wait for JJ to reply. If it gets worse, I will install Mylar and star posts.

Please let’s all be nice.

#296 4 years ago

Star posts with rubber washers...
Just played a few games and slings are not as active. I will have to adjust the switches. I think it's because the star post are wider and pulled the sling rubber just a bit farther from the switches.
I tried the skinny posts with rubber and plastic stacked. Slings still worked fine that way.
I like the star posts more so I'll give adjusting the switches a try.

#297 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Just played a few games and slings are not as active. I will have to adjust the switches. I think it's because the star post are wider and pulled the sling rubber just a bit farther from the switches.
I tried the skinny posts with rubber and plastic stacked. Slings still worked fine that way.

Yup, that's sort of a known issue. Gotta adjust the switches if the position of the rubber changes. Adding that to my conglomerated post, thanks.

As a side note, I think I found a better solution to the washer. I am suggesting that a clear silicone washer (or, options in other colors maybe) would be a better material and look than the neoprene. I can't find a good source of a small amount of washers domestically. I reached out to titan to see if they are interested in helping with this. If not I am going to try sourcing some from China. I think it could be a product which can be used in any game to protect the playfield from posts. More to come.

Chipping (resized).jpgChipping (resized).jpgChipping2 (resized).jpgChipping2 (resized).jpgLarge JJP washer (resized).jpgLarge JJP washer (resized).jpgRippling (resized).jpegRippling (resized).jpegSharp Edge (resized).jpgSharp Edge (resized).jpgSharp Comparison (resized).jpegSharp Comparison (resized).jpegOther Star Post Rippling (resized).jpegOther Star Post Rippling (resized).jpegTNA Neoprene (resized).jpgTNA Neoprene (resized).jpgNarrow JJP Washer (resized).jpgNarrow JJP Washer (resized).jpgMylar Circle (resized).jpgMylar Circle (resized).jpgCE Green Star & Rubber (resized).jpegCE Green Star & Rubber (resized).jpegOther Posts Chipping (resized).jpgOther Posts Chipping (resized).jpgClear Star & Neoprene (resized).jpgClear Star & Neoprene (resized).jpgDouble Star Post (resized).jpegDouble Star Post (resized).jpeg
#298 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Yup, that's sort of a known issue. Gotta adjust the switches if the position of the rubber changes. Adding that to my conglomerated post, thanks.

As a side note, I think I found a better solution to the washer. I am suggesting that a clear silicone washer (or, options in other colors maybe) would be a better material and look than the neoprene. I can't find a good source of a small amount of washers domestically. I reached out to titan to see if they are interested in helping with this. If not I am going to try sourcing some from China. I think it could be a product which can be used in any game to protect the playfield from posts. More to come.

#299 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

I think the point of this thread which Harry raises (thank you Harry) is to identify how much this is happening, report it to JJ and hopefully come up with a JJ endorsed solution. If that is not possible then come up with a solution that will resolve it in the best way possible.
Here is what we know:
1. All posts without the small washers installed at factory are going to be sharp. You need to ask JJ for the small washers. They will send.
2. Many machines have ripples around posts. These are delaminated clear coat that may or may not chip away.
3. Removing posts to put on washers may cause ripple to chip as it did to mine.
4. Even those with metal washers on their ce installed have chipping, so it is NOT just due to these sharp posts alone.
5. Star posts will cause a larger indent so once you go to these posts there is no going back
6. Excessively thick washers may impact the sling performance.
7. Mylar underneath needs a flat surface. Mine did not adhere because the posts were driven into the surface. I believe repair may not be strong enough under posts. For Mylar to work, maybe can only be used under star posts.
8. Slings are too strong and causing excessive strain. Turn them down
I personally just installed the washers and went back to playing whilst I wait for JJ to reply. If it gets worse, I will install Mylar and star posts.
Please let’s all be nice.

Mylar is a fake fix. I talked to the DFW pin restore guru Keith Holbrook and it won't prevent urethane clear from lifting from the substrate under heavy pressure of the post.

So really, a soft padding like rubber is going to be needed- especially if chipping/rippling is still occuring with wider playfield-on-post contact without adequate rubber padding. The big key will be, how to adjust the post height the best. Shaving/sanding down the single star post or perhaps those doubles from Pinball Life.

My game hasn't chipped yet but I can already see the writing on the wall- a service pack/fix is needed.

#300 4 years ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

Mylar is a fake fix. I talked to the DFW pin restore guru Keith Holbrook and it won't prevent urethane clear from lifting from the substrate under heavy pressure of the post.
So really, a soft padding like rubber is going to be needed- especially if chipping/rippling is still occuring with wider playfield-on-post contacts. The big key will be, how to adjust the post height the best. Shaving/sanding down the single star post or perhaps those doubles from Pinball Life.

Good info. Maybe those double posts with just one ring on the lower indent might work.

Side note... Eric from Titan replied almost immediately and (coincidentally has a TNA with this issue) is interested in working on a solution with a silicone washer.

**Seems like that would have been a good solution from the factory...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

29,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,006 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 61.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-who-has-playfield-dimples-cracking-wear-around-star-posts-/page/6?hl=frydaddy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.