(Topic ID: 242867)

PoTC - Who has playfield cracking & wear around sling posts?

By harryhoudini

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,006 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinDeadHead
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What kind of issues are you seeing?”

• I have visible dimples but no chipping 47 votes
    22%
  • I can see chipping but haven't done anything yet 69 votes
    32%
  • I can see chipping and installed mylar, washer and/or larger star post 33 votes
    15%
  • My playfield looks fine (but I haven't removed the star posts) 33 votes
    15%
  • I removed the star posts and my playfield looks fine 16 votes
    7%
  • My game had clear washers installed from the factory 16 votes
    7%

(Multiple choice - 214 votes by 202 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8a08956226ce33ab4cbce84ac85256fac4d2c495 (resized).jpg
272de6fede9fee8a8547778ad012df344b85326e (resized).jpg
20200319_164738 (resized).jpg
AEF37959-C604-4A07-B193-2416A6A62929 (resized).jpeg
F10537D7-D970-4859-B5C9-CF482DF29BFA (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200320_103742 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200320_101453 (resized).jpg
917EEAC5-4AC1-4204-BDA8-5497FFCB4BAC (resized).jpeg
83458836-4863-4833-8D88-F5A9E65F9517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3627 (resized).jpeg
20200127_171934 (resized).jpg
Shocked.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
potc2_5234 (resized).jpg
3FC99A16-7187-44B6-811B-16DD827ABC65 (resized).jpeg
20200125_090027 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,006 posts in this topic. You are on page 60 of 61.
#2951 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

I got my replacement playfield yesterday! It’s pretty stunning! I did notice the package had the “SE” letters on it. Are the SE and LE playfields exactly the same?[quoted image][quoted image]

I think they're the same.

#2952 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

i would think using a steel washer would make the problem worse. Anytime I add a washer I always use nylon. Lot less risk inadvertently breaking something

I think PoTC gen 1 playfield breaks the rules a bit. Nylon washers didn't do jack squat under the sling posts. Neither did the JJP kit's, which allegedly used some material in between. I suspect here that dispersing the force across wider area without impacting gameplay is the biggest key. The Nylon washer of the equivalent size I just could not find available.

#2953 4 years ago

I got mine yesterday as well. It's certainly beautiful. Makes me want to swap it. Maybe someday when I'm flushed with spare time lol.

20200319_164738 (resized).jpg20200319_164738 (resized).jpg
#2954 4 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I got mine yesterday as well. It's certainly beautiful. Makes me want to swap it. Maybe someday when I'm flushed with spare time lol.[quoted image]

Beat the first one up, over a decade or so!

#2955 4 years ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

For those who haven't taken the I-lane post protection plunge yet, I'd like to recommend the attached washer from Home Depot. It preserves the original post placement if you want to keep it mean yet conceals existing bubbling/damage. As Ferris would say, it is so choice. I highly recommend if you have the means. Nylon nut on the bottom from the factory keeps it tight to the playfield.
[quoted image][quoted image]

My concern is that turning out the metal post will already may damage the clear coat, so that the protection causes more issues than doing nothing.

#2956 4 years ago

N00b question:

I have never used a soldering iron in my life...

Do I "have" to use solder wire or is it recommended to do so?

#2957 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

N00b question:
I have never used a soldering iron in my life...
Do I "have" to use solder wire or is it recommended to do so?

Hmmm. Kind of depends on what you want to do really. If a joint simply separated most times you can just heat the existing solder and reflow them together. If you joining 2 pieces that have no solder it won’t work without it. Best to brush up on the Many YouTube videos showing the technique. Not really hard just try to remember less is more and heat the wire/part not the solder. Good luck.

#2958 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Hmmm. Kind of depends on what you want to do really. If a joint simply separated most times you can just heat the existing solder and reflow them together. If you joining 2 pieces that have no solder it won’t work without it. Best to brush up on the Many YouTube videos showing the technique. Not really hard just try to remember less is more and heat the wire/part not the solder. Good luck.

And also use flux...your life will be infinitely easier.

#2959 4 years ago

soldering isnt too hard. If able I would practice on something similar first. What are you trying to do? From there the tips I would have is get good solder like some 60/40 or 64/36 ( I think those are the sizes ) and some flux. Flux helps clean the "joint" and helps the solder to stick. So whatever you solder put a small amount of flux on it. Heat the flux for a few seconds and now we are ready to solder. Put a small amount of solder on the tip of your iron. If your joining wires tin both wires then join them by overlapping and not by butting the ends together. If your talking about a pcb I would clean old solder off with some solder wick or a solder sucker then would reapply new solder with flux. You can also just reflow solder or heat up the solder wuth iron and let it reattach to the pad on pcb. In my opinion it is better to remove old solder and reapply with new leaded solder

#2960 4 years ago

Thanks guys.

So this has 0 to do with pinball - unfortunately, but I figured you guys were the experts.

This is regarding a tailight blinker:

Essentially, I wanted to replace the bulbs with LEDs because I became tired of constantly replacing bulbs when they burn out. This is a 2007. I'm sure nowadays LEDs might damn near be standard.

I bought this regulator/resistor because LEDs have less resistance .. which makes sense. The problem is without the regular/resistor, the car will generate false positives because the system is built to detect a certain amount of resistance.

Anyways,

So it's pretty straight forward. You have two wires from the wiring harness for the tailight itself (technically 3, but only two apply) and you essentially line up these two wires and crimp the connection with the resistor. Easy. Well, the connection keeps coming lose and I get the fast blinking light essentially. I tried using electric tape and it's just not working.

So figured I would "fuse" the connection by soldering. So essentially the resistor has metal contacts so you simply splice the two wires and just make sure they have contact.

I'm not necessarily trying to bridge or extend a connection that's why I wasn't sure if the solder wire was necessary. Figured I could probably literally just heat the iron and, ya know, make the wire from the taillight and the metal contact from the resistor one piece. I didn't even think about the flux either.

I hope this was detailed enough.

#2961 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Thanks guys.
So this has 0 to do with pinball - unfortunately, but I figured you guys were the experts.
This is regarding a tailight blinker:
Essentially, I wanted to replace the bulbs with LEDs because I became tired of constantly replacing bulbs when they burn out. This is a 2007. I'm sure nowadays LEDs might damn near be standard.
I bought this regulator/resistor because LEDs have less resistance .. which makes sense. The problem is without the regular/resistor, the car will generate false positives because the system is built to detect a certain amount of resistance.
Anyways,
So it's pretty straight forward. You have two wires from the wiring harness for the tailight itself (technically 3, but only two apply) and you essentially line up these two wires and crimp the connection with the resistor. Easy. Well, the connection keeps coming lose and I get the fast blinking light essentially. I tried using electric tape and it's just not working.
So figured I would "fuse" the connection by soldering. So essentially the resistor has metal contacts so you simply splice the two wires and just make sure they have contact.
I'm not necessarily trying to bridge or extend a connection that's why I wasn't sure if the solder wire was necessary. Figured I could probably literally just heat the iron and, ya know, make the wire from the taillight and the metal contact from the resistor one piece. I didn't even think about the flux either.
I hope this was detailed enough.

Just a lazy answer but in this example seems like to much effort for little reward personally. I think I have changed 3 signal bulbs in my life and at .90 cents and three minutes just doesn’t seem like a problem worth this much trouble. If your bulb is shorting often enough where it’s an issue you issue is not the bulb and will more then likely be the same issue with an LED. Use bulb grease (yes that’s a real thing) to keep condensation out of the plug and make sure no insulation is cracked or grounding as this is a high heat area. Good luck.

#2962 4 years ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

I think PoTC gen 1 playfield breaks the rules a bit. Nylon washers didn't do jack squat under the sling posts. Neither did the JJP kit's, which allegedly used some material in between. I suspect here that dispersing the force across wider area without impacting gameplay is the biggest key. The Nylon washer of the equivalent size I just could not find available.

One of the biggest issues is that some Pirates were shipped with posts that had an uneven edge / protruding edge on the bottom. This type of post would dig right into the clear / art and likely contributed to the chipping issues.

At some point (maybe Jan 2019) JJP began shipping Pirates that had plastic clear washers installed at the bottom of the sling posts. The Pirates LE that I had thankfully had these clear washers installed from the factory. I still put small squares of mylar over each sling post hole and then put the JJP washer kit over it, there was never any playfield wear. What I don't know is if JJP used the factory clear washers on all posts or just the sling posts.

Picture without the factory clear washer on sling post

272de6fede9fee8a8547778ad012df344b85326e (resized).jpg272de6fede9fee8a8547778ad012df344b85326e (resized).jpg

Picture with factory clear washer on sling post. The sling post is even digging into the clear washer a bit.

8a08956226ce33ab4cbce84ac85256fac4d2c495 (resized).jpg8a08956226ce33ab4cbce84ac85256fac4d2c495 (resized).jpg

#2963 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Just a lazy answer but in this example seems like to much effort for little reward personally. I think I have changed 3 signal bulbs in my life and at .90 cents and three minutes just doesn’t seem like a problem worth this much trouble. If your bulb is shorting often enough where it’s an issue you issue is not the bulb and will more then likely be the same issue with an LED. Use bulb grease (yes that’s a real thing) to keep condensation out of the plug and make sure no insulation is cracked or grounding as this is a high heat area. Good luck.

In hindsight and ironically... yes. That wasn't the goal, but I have come this far and I will see to it that it is fixed.

#2964 4 years ago

Any CE owners get their replacement playfield yet?

Thanks,
Jeff

#2965 4 years ago

There was a CE owner that said he got one a bit ago on here. I don't believe he posted a picture though. I think it was towards late Feb.

#2966 4 years ago

I just received notice today from UPS, that my Potc LE playfield is on it’s way

#2967 4 years ago
Quoted from pingod:

I just received notice today from UPS, that my Potc LE playfield is on it’s way

Same for me....POTC LE

#2968 4 years ago

Got my LE playfield 2 months ago...wonder why the time delay

#2969 4 years ago

I’m looking to change my playfield out. Have any of you changed out yet?

#2970 4 years ago
Quoted from Zora:

My concern is that turning out the metal post will already may damage the clear coat, so that the protection causes more issues than doing nothing.

I ended up swapping it out to a nylon washer as suggested. The metal one was starting to bubble just a hint even in my home use environment- I was monitoring closely.

#2971 4 years ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

I’m looking to change my playfield out. Have any of you changed out yet?

At this point I'm just playing it 'to wood'- I have it under my bed should something catastrophic merit a sooner change. But with these en route showing the route they already have, its probably going to sit for a while. Especially since a JJP playfield swap is something I'd have to outsource to an expert restorer, anyway.

2 weeks later
#2972 3 years ago

Any CE owners get their replacement playfields yet? I'm still not aware of any which is why I keep asking...

Thanks,
Jeff

#2973 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

Any CE owners get their replacement playfields yet? I'm still not aware of any which is why I keep asking...
Thanks,
Jeff

All I heard were crickets too. You and I will need to just do it!

#2974 3 years ago

I asked about it while taking to JJP about an unrelated topic, a few weeks ago. They said I'm still on the list... I said no rush. Just wanted to be sure it was still happening and sounds like it is.

#2975 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

One of the biggest issues is that some Pirates were shipped with posts that had an uneven edge / protruding edge on the bottom. This type of post would dig right into the clear / art and likely contributed to the chipping issues.
At some point (maybe Jan 2019) JJP began shipping Pirates that had plastic clear washers installed at the bottom of the sling posts. The Pirates LE that I had thankfully had these clear washers installed from the factory. I still put small squares of mylar over each sling post hole and then put the JJP washer kit over it, there was never any playfield wear. What I don't know is if JJP used the factory clear washers on all posts or just the sling posts.
Picture without the factory clear washer on sling post
[quoted image]
Picture with factory clear washer on sling post. The sling post is even digging into the clear washer a bit.
[quoted image]

Interestingly I don’t believe the posts with the flanged bottom are to blame. I’m restoring a creature right now, guess what, bunch of the posts have that same flanged bottom... it the playfield not the posts

1 week later
#2976 3 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Interestingly I don’t believe the posts with the flanged bottom are to blame. I’m restoring a creature right now, guess what, bunch of the posts have that same flanged bottom... it the playfield not the posts

It wasn’t the flange on the bottom, some of us rather than having a smooth bottom flange and a razor sharp jagged edge of plastic screwed down to the PF. There are photos in the thread. Sharp enough to cut your finger.

2 weeks later
#2977 3 years ago

Hate to be that guy again, but any POTC CE owners get a replacement yet?

Thanks,
Jeff

#2978 3 years ago

I am guessing with the move JJP is not up and fully running, don't know. I know that I'm getting sporadic responses. They were quick to respond to sell me a WOZ 2.0 light kit but after that all replies got radio silence.

#2979 3 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

I am guessing with the move JJP is not up and fully running, don't know. I know that I'm getting sporadic responses. They were quick to respond to sell me a WOZ 2.0 light kit but after that all replies got radio silence.

I saw a message (on FB I think) with Barry building those kits from home.

#2980 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Yeah, he was the one who sold it to me and shipped it but when I replied to his email with some notes/issues/questions I didn't hear anything back. I just hit him up on Facebook so maybe he'll reply there.

#2981 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I saw him mention building Pearl Ramps too a month or so ago.

#2982 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I saw him mention building Pearl Ramps too a month or so ago.

That would be awesome. I'd love to get a extra ramp

#2983 3 years ago
Quoted from Heater:

That would be awesome. I'd love to get a extra ramp

Get an extra Maelstrom too, it has thin areas that will crack. Ask me how I know.

#2984 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

Hate to be that guy again, but any POTC CE owners get a replacement yet?
Thanks,
Jeff

Nothing yet. I talked with JJP a couple months ago and confirmed it was still in process.

3 months later
#2985 3 years ago

JJP apparently seems to think they can just ignore this problem and it'll go away... Have ANY CE owners gotten their replacement playfield yet?

Thanks,
Jeff

2 weeks later
#2986 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

JJP apparently seems to think they can just ignore this problem and it'll go away... Have ANY CE owners gotten their replacement playfield yet?
Thanks,
Jeff

Got it!

#2987 3 years ago

Want to sell it? Lol just kidding

3 weeks later
#2988 3 years ago

Want to sell it? Lol just kidding

How many star posts do I need to replace the slim posts on the playfield? Will star posts work for all the slim posts on the playfield? Trying to order the correct amount. Thanks in advance

#2989 3 years ago

6 for the slings. Pinballmods.co has some nice colored ones that match the playfield

#2990 3 years ago

How many star posts do I need to replace the slim posts on the playfield? Will star posts work for all the slim posts on the playfield? Trying to order the correct amount. Thanks in advance

6 for the slings. Pinballmods.co has colored ones that match the playfield really well. His kit includes the rubber washers as well.

#2991 3 years ago
Quoted from Mrsiyufy:

6 for the slings. Pinballmods.co has colored ones that match the playfield really well. His kit includes the rubber washers as well.

Thanks! I’ll check them out.

#2992 3 years ago

Can I first ask a logistical question: Is this thread strictly for POTC? or is it now used for all JJP playfields since POTC?

-mof

#2993 3 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Can I first ask a logistical question: Is this thread strictly for POTC? or is it now used for all JJP playfields since POTC?
-mof

In the Wonka thread we now have new owners (Aug 2020 manufacturer date) showing pics of playfield pooling. It will be interesting to see if any GnR owners experience the same, since the problem seems to not be as "fixed" as indicated.

#2994 3 years ago

Thanks. I see dozens of wonka threads, can I ask for a link.

1 month later
#2996 3 years ago

Just checking in to see if anyone has received a new POTC CE playfield lately?
I was told over a year ago that I was on the list and have followed up with Steve a couple of times and he says they are still waiting on them. I have a big concern about this especially since I have a GNR CE on order.

#2997 3 years ago
Quoted from fastchef:

Just checking in to see if anyone has received a new POTC CE playfield lately?
I was told over a year ago that I was on the list and have followed up with Steve a couple of times and he says they are still waiting on them. I have a big concern about this especially since I have a GNR CE on order.

Only a year?

2 months later
#2998 3 years ago

I got one a couple of months back. LE

3 months later
#2999 2 years ago

Hi, is there any chance for me to ask for a new playfield under warrenty? Bought it NIB 2019 in Germany.

thx

#3000 2 years ago
Quoted from JeJe:

Hi, is there any chance for me to ask for a new playfield under warrenty? Bought it NIB 2019 in Germany.
thx

Magic 8 ball says Highly unlikely. Yeah another bad Playfield thread resurrected to go with the other 12 lol

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

24,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanted
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

There are 3,006 posts in this topic. You are on page 60 of 61.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-who-has-playfield-dimples-cracking-wear-around-star-posts-/page/60?hl=heater and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.