(Topic ID: 242867)

PoTC - Who has playfield cracking & wear around sling posts?

By harryhoudini

33 days ago

Topic Stats

• 1,240 posts
  • 116 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 hours ago by kcZ
  • Topic is favorited by 36 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What kind of issues are you seeing?”

• I have visible dimples but no chipping 21 votes
    18%
  • I can see chipping but haven't done anything yet 39 votes
    33%
  • I can see chipping and installed mylar, washer and/or larger star post 17 votes
    15%
  • My playfield looks fine (but I haven't removed the star posts) 19 votes
    16%
  • I removed the star posts and my playfield looks fine 11 votes
    9%
  • My game had clear washers installed from the factory 10 votes
    9%

(Multiple choice - 117 votes by 112 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 267 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

eeabc32a0113faaf3ca56626ca908304ccf0513e (resized).jpg
IMG_20190612_155339 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190612_155328 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190612_155205 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190612_155153 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190612_155129 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190612_155111 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190612_154752 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190612_154717 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190612_154709 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190612_154541 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190612_154514 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190612_154452 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190612_154440 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190612_154427 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190612_154415 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1240 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 25.
#201 31 days ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Faulty posts!
It's NOT okay!
I guess everyone is blind...

Sell your damn machine. Please.

#202 31 days ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Sell your damn machine. Please.

How about this.

If you admit I'm not wrong...I'll consider it.

=P

#203 31 days ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Do you ever stop trolling against JJP?

Wow really you are all over Stern threads trashing them waa waa waa and you get upset because I share a thread that a POTC owner started

aa86634965844d5fc0c5558dbe132eb94b74a016 (resized).jpg
#204 31 days ago

Yes, it sucks this is happening. Obviously none of us want the playfields to chip. The reality is that it's happening, and it's not unique to JJP.

Ask yourself the following questions:

1. Do you love playing your game? (If not, sell it as there are people who want to.)
2. Do you want JJP to succeed?

In my view, this whole thread ought to be drained. All it's doing is whipping people into a frenzy and trying to get a mass riot going against JJP, which is going to hurt them and ultimately, ourselves.

Yes this situation sucks. Is covering the damage with wider posts or washers a reasonable solution? I say that it is.

#205 31 days ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Do you ever stop trolling against JJP?

A professional troll. Pretty pathetic, actually.

#206 31 days ago

If adding the washers causes a height issue couldn't you just sand down the bottom of the posts to reduce the height to compensate for the washers?

#207 31 days ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Yes, it sucks this is happening. Obviously none of us want the playfields to chip. The reality is that it's happening, and it's not unique to JJP.
1. Do you love playing your game? (If not, sell it as there are people who want to.)
In my view, this whole thread ought to be drained. All it's doing is whipping people into a frenzy and trying to get a mass riot going against JJP, which is going to hurt them and ultimately, ourselves.
Yes this situation sucks. Is covering the damage with wider posts or washers a reasonable solution? I say that it is.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/munsters-worse-code-ever https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-final-code-update-wish-list-1/page/4#post-4981486 https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-bad-are-beatles-sales-so-far/page/18#post-4869655 these are all shit stirring threads it's all part of pinside

#208 31 days ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Drain the thread? Are you kidding me? Do you work for JJP or have some sort of connection with them?

If you don’t like what your reading how about you ignore the thread.

Yeah, please try to silence us. Wtf!

#209 31 days ago
Quoted from gliebig:

A professional troll. Pretty pathetic, actually.

Lol the pot calling the kettle black https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-next-pin-black-knight-sword-of-rage-pinball?tu=gliebig hear is you trashing the BK on a stern thread

#210 31 days ago

This isn’t a shit stirring thread.

There are actually at least 5 of us who I know are physically talking with and trying to get a resolution with JJP.

So no this isn’t just a shit show here.

#211 31 days ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Drain the thread? Are you kidding me? Do you work for JJP or have some sort of connection with them?

No. Just a customer like everyone else.

#212 31 days ago
Quoted from JY64:

Lol the pot calling the kettle black https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-next-pin-black-knight-sword-of-rage-pinball?tu=gliebig hear is you trashing the BK on a stern thread

I own more Sterns than I do JJP.

[comment removed]

#213 31 days ago

I think the fix that I'd go with is the JJP washers.

Personally, I'm going to ask for the metal ones- that way if any wear does happen underneath, I won't see

If going with the star post fix I'd think washers that meet the JJP washer specs would also be the right ones to get.

Otherwise, ripply clear will just happen all over again, as we've already seen in this thread, though maybe not to the extent as 'out of box.'

#214 31 days ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I own more Sterns than I do JJP.
[comment removed]

I don't care what you own you are the one who started the name calling

#215 31 days ago
Quoted from JY64:

I don't care what you own you are the one who started the name calling

Call 'em as I see 'em.

#216 31 days ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

I'm already having issues with the clear lexan (petg) washers being too tall, others reported the issue as well. The sling "hammer" (whatever that hits the rubber) pops out. Had it happen last night. Not the end of the world, but should not be an issue I should have to deal with. Don't see a way around it aside from trimming the star posts down the same height as the washers.

Another option would be to add a second rubber below the first. The lower rubber will stick out a bit more (because it's not sitting in the post groove) and you may have to adjust the leaf switch gap, but this is a common solution.

#217 31 days ago

I just come into this thread looking for someone who wants to sell their LE.

#218 31 days ago
Quoted from kcZ:

I just come into this thread looking for someone who wants to sell their LE.

Everybody has a price but doubtful you’ll find any discounts.

#219 31 days ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Another option would be to add a second rubber below the first. The lower rubber will stick out a bit more (because it's not sitting in the post groove) and you may have to adjust the leaf switch gap, but this is a common solution.

There are star posts with double rings: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8247-30

Not sure how that would affect game play. I mean, I looked at the sling "hammer" last night and it's hitting the rubber right in the middle so it's hard to see why it would come out. Might be the ball displacing the rubber enough when it hits in, pushing the rubber up since the rubber is now higher. Seems like we're band-aiding more and more just to have a way to mount these posts without screwing up the playfield.

#220 31 days ago
Quoted from JY64:

Wow really you are all over Stern threads trashing them waa waa waa and you get upset because I share a thread that a POTC owner started
[quoted image]

both on the payrolls???????

#221 31 days ago

So I had to hunt to find this but I guess I'm impacted as well! What is the fix?

20190515_140715 (resized).jpg
#222 31 days ago
Quoted from delt31:

So I had to hunt to find this but I guess I'm impacted as well! What is the fix?
[quoted image]

There is no one official fix. It's sort of a "do what you think is best". It seems the most accepted response is to at least put 1-2 layers of mylar under whatever post you use. Some folks are using star posts (https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/550-5034-01) and some are keeping the stock posts. Some are putting washers under either post.

Here is some of the latest stuff I have done: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/550-5034-01

#223 31 days ago

There is no one official fix. It's sort of a "do what you think is best". It seems the most accepted response is to at least put 1-2 layers of mylar under whatever post you use. Some folks are using star posts (https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/550-5034-01) and some are keeping the stock posts. Some are putting washers under either post.
Here is some of the latest stuff I have done: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/550-5034-01

Postgate in full effect bc I don't play nearly as much as some guys do and still impacted. If I could see it during play I would be more pissed but still shouldn't happen.

#224 31 days ago
Quoted from delt31:

Postgate in full effect bc I don't play nearly as much as some guys do and still impacted. If I could see it during play I would be more pissed but still shouldn't happen.

I'm personally mostly concerned about it getting worse which was the main reason for doing anything. Secondly, concerned about resale value.

#225 31 days ago

Won't have to worry about resale right now as you're sitting on an LE 10.5k and above price only to go higher. Anyone selling for less is leaving money on the table.

Here's the pic of the culprit. Doesn't look too bad. Only one that has caused any damage. I put mylar around it as well. Might be replacement....

20190515_143046 (resized).jpg20190515_143051 (resized).jpg20190515_143100 (resized).jpg
#226 31 days ago
Quoted from delt31:

Won't have to worry about resale right now as you're sitting on an LE 10.5k and above price only to go higher. Anyone selling for less is leaving money on the table.
Here's the pic of the culprit. Doesn't look too bad. Only one that has caused any damage. I put mylar around it as well. Might be replacement....
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Is there a lip or is it flat on the bottom? If there is a lip I suggest you replace it, sand it or use a washer. That lip seems to be 100% agreement that it is causing issues.

#227 31 days ago

Looks like everyone should remove their posts, inspect, and sand if needed.

#228 31 days ago

Is there a lip or is it flat on the bottom? If there is a lip I suggest you replace it, sand it or use a washer. That lip seems to be 100% agreement that it is causing issues.

couldn't really see one but I'm going to replace just in case.

#229 31 days ago

I maintain nearly 30 year old Bally, Williams, Data East, and Sega route playfields that look better than that.

#230 31 days ago

Anyone get any tangible replies from JJP? I have not.

#231 31 days ago

Anyone get any tangible replies from JJP? I have not.

I am waiting for a reply as well

#232 31 days ago

Delt, in your last pic, you can see a sharp edge.

#233 31 days ago

Well it is happening to my CE also.

20190515_141240 (resized).jpg20190515_141254 (resized).jpg20190515_141310 (resized).jpg
#234 31 days ago
Quoted from FryDaddy:

I have a ce also... aren't you glad you can no longer order a ce replacement Playfield because they do not exist?

#235 31 days ago
Quoted from Ilushka85:

I have a ce also... aren't you glad you can no longer order a ce replacement Playfield because they do not exist?

Soon you won't be able to give your CE away.

Better sell now.

#236 31 days ago
Quoted from kcZ:

Better sell now.

As much as I love it I might consider doing that if I could get out what I had in it. Mine hasn't chipped yet and taking the appropriate measures before playing it anymore.

#237 31 days ago
Quoted from kcZ:

Better sell now.

Start making offers

#238 31 days ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Start making offers

I cannot afford CE type offers.

I wish that I had one of these games, I have an idea for a fix.

#239 31 days ago
Quoted from FryDaddy:

Holy smokes...

Didn't you just get this the other week? How many plays do you have on it?

#240 31 days ago
Quoted from wesman:

Holy smokes...
Didn't you just get this the other week? How many plays do you have on it?

Ive had mine for a bit and I have under 100 plays. Just to give you an idea of how quick the issue is to come. The posts are far too rough and were tightened too much to early.

#241 31 days ago
Quoted from kcZ:

I cannot afford CE type offers.
I wish that I had one of these games, I have an idea for a fix.

Sledgehammer and a fire pit?

#242 31 days ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Sledgehammer and a fire pit?

Heck no!

#243 31 days ago
Quoted from FryDaddy:

Green star posts look pretty sweet to cover it on the CE. This machine is using the rubber washers I believe.
454F90A9-40D7-4930-9073-7BD71AA45D90.jpegBD11578B-5B77-4A4F-A359-7A1CBCF6D5A8.jpeg

D0DD1CE1-F91E-48EF-BB50-4A720D84182C (resized).jpeg958EA63C-4176-43EE-A5E4-ED25D17E0FBB (resized).jpeg
#244 31 days ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Green star posts look pretty sweet to cover it on the CE.[quoted image][quoted image]

Can you provide a link for them? Are you putting them under the ship and other places also?

#245 31 days ago

Anyone else notice that Wonka doesn’t have these shit posts?

Likely due to a good reason.

#246 31 days ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Green star posts look pretty sweet to cover it on the CE. This machine is using the rubber washers I believe.
[quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image]

I think I'm going to do mine that way just to get rid of the skinny posts.

#247 31 days ago
Quoted from Ilushka85:

My new play field is under the bed and when all of the art peels off it will be time to break it out.

#248 31 days ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Anyone else notice that Wonka doesn’t have these shit posts?
Likely due to a good reason.

Shit posts as in things Pinsiders comment about

Or

Shit posts as in plastic posts that cause playfield problems?

#249 31 days ago
Quoted from FryDaddy:

My new play field is under the bed and when all of the art peels off it will be time to break it out.

Well lucky that you bought one in time. No such luck here.

#250 31 days ago

If a game does have chipping heres what I would recommend doing.

1. With a small detail brush apply clear to damaged area, allow to dry

2. Mylar over top, 1-2 layers

3. Install star posts over thin plastic / lexan washers that are the diameter of the star posts.

I believe the "solution" above would minimize further damage and make existing damage not noticeable.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Walnut Creek, CA
$ 279.95
$ 87.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 279.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 279.95
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 399.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 239.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 87.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Altoona, PA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1240 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 25.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside