(Topic ID: 242867)

PoTC - Who has playfield cracking & wear around sling posts?

By harryhoudini

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,006 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinDeadHead
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What kind of issues are you seeing?”

• I have visible dimples but no chipping 47 votes
    22%
  • I can see chipping but haven't done anything yet 69 votes
    32%
  • I can see chipping and installed mylar, washer and/or larger star post 33 votes
    15%
  • My playfield looks fine (but I haven't removed the star posts) 33 votes
    15%
  • I removed the star posts and my playfield looks fine 16 votes
    7%
  • My game had clear washers installed from the factory 16 votes
    7%

(Multiple choice - 214 votes by 202 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8a08956226ce33ab4cbce84ac85256fac4d2c495 (resized).jpg
272de6fede9fee8a8547778ad012df344b85326e (resized).jpg
20200319_164738 (resized).jpg
AEF37959-C604-4A07-B193-2416A6A62929 (resized).jpeg
F10537D7-D970-4859-B5C9-CF482DF29BFA (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200320_103742 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200320_101453 (resized).jpg
917EEAC5-4AC1-4204-BDA8-5497FFCB4BAC (resized).jpeg
83458836-4863-4833-8D88-F5A9E65F9517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3627 (resized).jpeg
20200127_171934 (resized).jpg
Shocked.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
potc2_5234 (resized).jpg
3FC99A16-7187-44B6-811B-16DD827ABC65 (resized).jpeg
20200125_090027 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,006 posts in this topic. You are on page 59 of 61.
#2901 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Sounds good to me a person who does touchup on chipping playfields as for pooling suck it up

So why are you even arguing in here if you don't own the game or any related games that have the issue?

#2902 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Sounds good to me a person who does touchup on chipping playfields as for pooling suck it up

The point is its a manufacturing issue and thus their responsibility....not sure what your point is...makes ZERO sense

#2903 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

So why are you even arguing in here if you don't own the game or any related games that have the issue?

He loves to argue, that is why.

#2904 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

The point is its a manufacturing issue and thus their responsibility.

Amen!

#2905 4 years ago

I just tore my new Le down to put on cliffys and found a lot of pooling and a few decent sized chips. Bummer. Submitted a ticket with lots of pics. We will see how it’s handled.

#2906 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

The point is its a manufacturing issue and thus their responsibility....not sure what your point is...makes ZERO sense

My point is the amount of work people expect for a game with just pooling is ridiculous and is pointless. My self I sold my AC/DC near two years ago and have still not bought a new game if you have been buying over the last 18 months you knew the chance you were taking and some of the fault lies with you

#2907 4 years ago

doppelganger or dupe account

IMG_3627 (resized).jpegIMG_3627 (resized).jpeg
#2908 4 years ago

Has anyone been getting a replacement playfield lately? That news has seemed to end, and I would guess I am not the only one that has been promised one that has yet to receive it.

#2909 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

My point is the amount of work people expect for a game with just pooling is ridiculous and is pointless. My self I sold my AC/DC near two years ago and have still not bought a new game if you have been buying over the last 18 months you knew the chance you were taking and some of the fault lies with you

I haven't bought a new game from Stern or JJP since this fiasco, but saying the fault lies with the consumer is pretty short sided thinking. What I have learned is to NEVER buy a NIB game from anyone at this point....I'll stick to buying a nice used game that I can inspect prior to purchasing.

#2910 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I haven't bought a new game from Stern or JJP since this fiasco, but saying the fault lies with the consumer is pretty short sided thinking. What I have learned is to NEVER buy a NIB game from anyone at this point....I'll stick to buying a nice used game that I can inspect prior to purchasing.

This is what I'm going to do from this point on, and I will advise everyone who will listen to do the same. I will have no trouble telling my distributor the same. If enough people adopt this mindset, eventually the manufacturers will feel the pinch and either get better or get out. Either one results in no more quality issues. I sincerely hope they get better. I like new pinball. I'd like to see new pinball continue.

#2911 4 years ago

Stern wants to go back to selling to distributors that sell primarily to route operators. Virtually no warranty issues. Route operators repair their own machines almost immediately. Commercial route operators keep a proper stock of parts on hand without making panic phone calls or emails for one coil stop.

#2912 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Stern wants to go back to selling to distributors that sell primarily to route operators. Virtually no warranty issues. Route operators repair their own machines almost immediately. Commercial route operators keep a proper stock of parts on hand without making panic phone calls or emails for one coil stop.

Or Stern could just make their coil stops last more than 5 plays.

#2913 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Do route operators typically purchase the higher end machines? I would think there is more money in it for manufacturers to make better games at higher prices. They need to sell less, still have less worry about warranty because they are making good quality products and you'll still have the route operators interested because the games are rock solid. But what do I know.

#2914 4 years ago

Do route operators typically purchase the higher end machines? I would think there is more money in it for manufacturers to make better games at higher prices. They need to sell less, still have less worry about warranty because they are making good quality products and you'll still have the route operators interested because the games are rock solid. But what do I know.

Only one route op here does and he always purchases a Pro first too. Additional cost and maintenance on the higher end games are certainly factors, but probably the biggest factor is that they come out much later than the Pro version and by that time, often the new game effect has worn off at least to some effect. That is why the one op who does by the LEs / Premiums gets the Pro first too so he doesn't miss out on the bigger dollars from that new game window.

There is a location here that got a Jurassic Park Premium and their launch party for it was 3 months after the Pro had come out. No one cared. Even though the game is great, people had already played the Pro a ton and even the LE too which was also on route locally, there was nothing new to see and people had had their fill. So by 3 months later, the extra Premium dollars they spent were basically wasted and the prime time to earn more money on the newest shiniest title had already long passed them by.

#2915 4 years ago

Seems like Stern would be smart to follow Spooky's lead.

#2916 4 years ago
Quoted from pingod:

Received notice from JJP today my Pirates LE Playfield shipped.

Correction on my playfield shipping.
It hasn’t shipped at all.
Made it look like it was a shipping notice, in the email.

Why even send out a notice.

#2917 4 years ago

I received notice from UPS that my replacement playfield should be delivered tomorrow. I wish you all the best on getting yours soon.

#2918 4 years ago

As a follow-up, I did receive my playfield and it is flawless. I am very appreciative to JJP that this was offered, and though some of you disagree (and I respect that), I am completely satisfied with my purchase and the subsequent disposition of my situation.

GnR is not my thing, but I will be anxious to see what Toy Story, if true, has to offer.

Again, my best wishes to everyone in a similar situation. I hope your cases are worked amicably to you.

#2919 4 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

As a follow-up, I did receive my playfield and it is flawless. I am very appreciative to JJP that this was offered, and though some of you disagree (and I respect that), I am completely satisfied with my purchase and the subsequent disposition of my situation.
GnR is not my thing, but I will be anxious to see what Toy Story, if true, has to offer.
Again, my best wishes to everyone in a similar situation. I hope your cases are worked amicably to you.

Glad to hear it! You were one of the long haul guys on this thread.

Still hoping everyone gets their replacement/refund!

#2920 4 years ago

I haven't heard one person say they got a refund. Fack JJP for not doing that immediately.

#2921 4 years ago

I haven't heard one person say they got a refund. Fack JJP for not doing that immediately.

Quoted from Soulrider911:

I recently got a refund for my Playfield, minus shipping and the t-nut and Mylar kit, but hey I’ll take anything they will give me. I’m thankful.

Quoted from winsoreric:

I received a sales order adjustment from Aileen Rentas 2 days ago and checked my checking account today and found a $550.00 credit from JJP. I received the phone call from Jack on Sept 5th. Took 20 days for it to reach my account if my math is correct. I didn't get refunded for the T-nuts, Mylar or the small wire forms that press into the playfield though I am happy to get refunded for the play field. Just waiting on my order of Cliff's and finishing my 2 homemade rotisseries to begin the swap. I wouldn't think it would be long until you get your refunds also.

#2922 4 years ago

I would have rather gotten a refund on my pooling and chipping POTC CE than this for me personally useless playfield I got from JJP today via UPS.

Appreciate that JJP kept their word unlike their distributor that I had to work with. I really do. But that playfield I would have happily traded in towards a credit for a future pinball machine purchase from them.

That would have been Win-win. Now it feels more like lose-lose.

#2923 4 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

I would have rather gotten a refund on my pooling and chipping POTC CE than this for me personally useless playfield I got from JJP today via UPS.
Appreciate that JJP kept their word unlike their distributor that I had to work with. I really do. But that playfield I would have happily traded in towards a credit for a future pinball machine purchase from them.
That would have been Win-win. Now it feels more like lose-lose.

You can always sell it, lots of people wanting to keep this game forever and do have the ability to do a swap

#2924 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

You can always sell it, lots of people wanting to keep this game forever and do have the ability to do a swap

Already pinged him on it

#2925 4 years ago

Ah nice, my memory sucks.

#2926 4 years ago

No cracking for me, just a couple dimples...
83458836-4863-4833-8D88-F5A9E65F9517 (resized).jpeg83458836-4863-4833-8D88-F5A9E65F9517 (resized).jpeg917EEAC5-4AC1-4204-BDA8-5497FFCB4BAC (resized).jpeg917EEAC5-4AC1-4204-BDA8-5497FFCB4BAC (resized).jpeg

#2927 4 years ago

If anyone has received a CE playfield and would rather convert it to money, please let me know. I'm in the market for one.

#2928 4 years ago

zaphX - is your playfield looking much worse than mine in terms of dimples? Those photos above are at 103 games played. I know you play quite heavily.

#2929 4 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

zaphx - is your playfield looking much worse than mine in terms of dimples? Those photos above are at 103 games played. I know you play quite heavily.

Dimples are worst on any pin when it's new - every one stands out. The more you play the more homogenous the playfield looks and less you'll care.

My desire for a playfield isn't about dimples, it's about making sure I can renew the game N years down the road. It is a keeper for me.

To answer your question, my CE has around 2000 plays and has more uniform dimpling. It's in line with every other NIB I've owned. (4 JJPs, 2 Sterns).

#2930 4 years ago

That's good to hear. I certainly don't remember this type of thing on past pins i've owned, but they admittedly had many more plays on them and I had them in a room that didn't have near the amount of direct overhead lighting as my current gameroom.

#2931 4 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

That's good to hear. I certainly don't remember this type of thing on past pins i've owned, but they admittedly had many more plays on them and I had them in a room that didn't have near the amount of direct overhead lighting as my current gameroom.

Best solution is play as much as possible. This will make the few dimples look less like outliers, and it also has the added benefit of making you focus on what matters - having fun with the game!

#2932 4 years ago

I gotta tell you guys, R&M with 1500+ plays had almost no dimpling. Looked brand new

#2933 4 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

No cracking for me, just a couple dimples...
[quoted image][quoted image]

On a Stern game people would be bitching about craters and seeing the wood grain

#2934 4 years ago

Definitely something going on at Mirco with some of these playfields the last couple years.

#2935 4 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

Definitely something going on at Marco with some of these playfields the last couple years.

Mirco.

Wouldn't it be nice if someone said something... anything... like "hey, we know this happened and we're doing this to change it" instead of just staying silent.

#2936 4 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

Definitely something going on at Mirco with some of these playfields the last couple years.

To be clear that playfield would not bother me as you have to look for the issues to see them

#2937 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

To be clear that playfield would not bother me as you have to look for the issues to see them

Even if you want to actively not look and inspect, at some point you clean, do maintenance and such, and you'll see it.

Or never clean, and let the dirt hide everything!!!

#2938 4 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

I think it's just that the wood isn't as hard as the "good old days".
My Whitewater is almost 30 years old and has never had dimples...though it does have significant planking.

I don't know if Mirco just can't get the "good" wood, or if it is trying to save money by using something cheaper.
I would hope that the problem is getting the wood, as I would think that the wood material cost is only a small part of what it costs to produce the playfields.

#2939 4 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

My Whitewater is almost 30 years old and has never had dimples...though it does have significant planking.
I don't know if Mirco just can't get the "good" wood, or if it is trying to save money by using something cheaper.
I would hope that the problem is getting the wood, as I would think that the wood material cost is only a small part of what it costs to produce the playfields.

The wood is not soft if you look at the lines that show the grain a tight wood grain = a hardwood

#2940 4 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

What is spooky doing with r&m then? I think it's not paying for the quality wood like the old days personally.

#2941 4 years ago

Received my replacement POTC playfield from JJP today - bless their hearts! Good folks.
Born on date at Micro in Germany was Feb. 8, 2020. Not long ago, but the clear is as hard as a diamond.
Bringing home JJP #2 Tomorrow Lord willing. 3 hours drive one way, and it's an HUO with less than 500 total plays.
Next JJP for me will be #7 in CE.
Murph

2 weeks later
#2942 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

No notification at all but it’s a Beaut![quoted image]

HAPPY for you man!

You were amongst the top agitated at this one and for good reason!
Very cool to FINALLY see it come in.

And... I guess 1.0 code is coming?

#2943 4 years ago

Talked with JJP about my replacement. They said its still in works. I guess CEs are last to get fulfilled. I'm in no rush so no big deal. Might be peace of mind for people who are still waiting and biting their nails.

#2944 4 years ago

For those who haven't taken the I-lane post protection plunge yet, I'd like to recommend the attached washer from Home Depot. It preserves the original post placement if you want to keep it mean yet conceals existing bubbling/damage. As Ferris would say, it is so choice. I highly recommend if you have the means. Nylon nut on the bottom from the factory keeps it tight to the playfield.
IMG_20200320_101453 (resized).jpgIMG_20200320_101453 (resized).jpg

IMG_20200320_103742 (resized).jpgIMG_20200320_103742 (resized).jpg
#2945 4 years ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

For those who haven't taken the I-lane post protection plunge yet, I'd like to recommend the attached washer from Home Depot. It preserves the original post placement if you want to keep it mean yet conceals existing bubbling/damage. As Ferris would say, it is so choice. I highly recommend if you have the means. Nylon nut on the bottom from the factory keeps it tight to the playfield.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Hmm. What is this protecting?

#2946 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Hmm. What is this protecting?

Bubbling/chipping that typically develops under this post.

#2947 4 years ago

i would think using a steel washer would make the problem worse. Anytime I add a washer I always use nylon. Lot less risk inadvertently breaking something

#2948 4 years ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

Bubbling/chipping that typically develops under this post.

Thought so!

So obviously....you need to remove the nylon nut from underneath first, correct?

#2949 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Thought so!
So obviously....you need to remove the nylon nut from underneath first, correct?

Correct.

#2950 4 years ago

I got my replacement playfield yesterday! It’s pretty stunning! I did notice the package had the “SE” letters on it. Are the SE and LE playfields exactly the same?

AEF37959-C604-4A07-B193-2416A6A62929 (resized).jpegAEF37959-C604-4A07-B193-2416A6A62929 (resized).jpegF10537D7-D970-4859-B5C9-CF482DF29BFA (resized).jpegF10537D7-D970-4859-B5C9-CF482DF29BFA (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanted
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

29,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 3,006 posts in this topic. You are on page 59 of 61.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-who-has-playfield-dimples-cracking-wear-around-star-posts-/page/59?hl=dergoetz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.