(Topic ID: 242867)

PoTC - Who has playfield cracking & wear around sling posts?

By harryhoudini

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,006 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinDeadHead
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What kind of issues are you seeing?”

• I have visible dimples but no chipping 47 votes
    22%
  • I can see chipping but haven't done anything yet 69 votes
    32%
  • I can see chipping and installed mylar, washer and/or larger star post 33 votes
    15%
  • My playfield looks fine (but I haven't removed the star posts) 33 votes
    15%
  • I removed the star posts and my playfield looks fine 16 votes
    7%
  • My game had clear washers installed from the factory 16 votes
    7%

(Multiple choice - 214 votes by 202 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8a08956226ce33ab4cbce84ac85256fac4d2c495 (resized).jpg
272de6fede9fee8a8547778ad012df344b85326e (resized).jpg
20200319_164738 (resized).jpg
AEF37959-C604-4A07-B193-2416A6A62929 (resized).jpeg
F10537D7-D970-4859-B5C9-CF482DF29BFA (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200320_103742 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200320_101453 (resized).jpg
917EEAC5-4AC1-4204-BDA8-5497FFCB4BAC (resized).jpeg
83458836-4863-4833-8D88-F5A9E65F9517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3627 (resized).jpeg
20200127_171934 (resized).jpg
Shocked.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
potc2_5234 (resized).jpg
3FC99A16-7187-44B6-811B-16DD827ABC65 (resized).jpeg
20200125_090027 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,006 posts in this topic. You are on page 57 of 61.
#2801 4 years ago

No notification at all but it’s a Beaut!

3FC99A16-7187-44B6-811B-16DD827ABC65 (resized).jpeg3FC99A16-7187-44B6-811B-16DD827ABC65 (resized).jpeg
#2802 4 years ago

That's a good sign, now we need a CE buyer to get one to confirm both are being addressed...

Jeff

#2803 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

No notification at all but it’s a Beaut![quoted image]

Glad to see the first POTC reported to be delivered! Fingers crossed mine will be in the near future. : )

#2804 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

No notification at all but it’s a Beaut![quoted image]

That really is stunning and beautiful without all the parts on it. Wow!

#2805 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

The shine is amazing, almost a wet look. I’m impressed for sure and happy they offered this. Just a small piece of insurance to have.

#2806 4 years ago

How about any folks who paid the $550? Anyone get a refund?

#2807 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

And it will remain like that for most that receive these unpopulated playfields

#2808 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

How about any folks who paid the $550? Anyone get a refund?

And got a generation 1 playfield for their money

#2809 4 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

And it will remain like that for most that receive these unpopulated playfields

Hard to say but like someone previously mentioned why swap until it’s absolutely needed and maybe it never will be.

No idea how many they are shipping but these could be worth a pretty penny years down the road kind of like what NOS WMS IJ playfield s go for now.

#2810 4 years ago

@harryhoudini Didn't you say something about ordering a mylar set? Can you share the part number? Seems like a good thing to order and keep on ice with the playfield.

#2811 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

@harryhoudini Didn't you say something about ordering a mylar set? Can you share the part number? Seems like a good thing to order and keep on ice with the playfield.

These new PF’S are coming with mylar already applied if that’s what your refering to. If not, my mistake.

#2812 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

These new PF’S are coming with mylar already applied if that’s what your refering to. If not, my mistake.

Oh I didn't realize. That's nice!

EDIT: I see it now in your picture, I thought those were environmental reflections.

#2813 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Oh I didn't realize. That's nice!
EDIT: I see it now in your picture, I thought those were environmental reflections.

There are reflections that you see as well but really it’s like glass.

Seems to be a much nice finish than what came with the game if that’s possible.

#2814 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

There are reflections that you see as well but really it’s like glass.
Seems to be a much nice finish than what came with the game if that’s possible.

Can you dent under the apron with your fingernail?

#2815 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

Not sure, didn’t try.

#2816 4 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

And got a generation 1 playfield for their money

Not sure about this. The test I did with a CRANKED down post did not leave any divot. So either it was different or the delay from manufacture to arrival here was enough to change the chemistry of the finished product.

I do wonder if anything was changed from my game to the extra playfied, but such is the non-response of JJP.

#2817 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Yeah, I got a spare set of decals, a set of mylar, a map disc decal, plastics, malestrom ramp, chest bracket... lol. I'm collecting.

I think with these two items you have everything that makes up the playfield install. The map disc I figured would look horrible compared to the new playfield.

JJP Part Number
62-000036-01
62-000041-XX

Description
POTC Spinning Map Disk Decal
POTC Clear Mylar PF/Siderail Protectors Sheet

Rate

#2818 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Mine didn't, but I also paid for mine and it was a while back. So I also paid $26 for mylar (plus shipping), close to $600 now.

#2819 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

The one I got several months ago could not be dented, even with a cranked down post for 4 weeks. Not sure what "version" mine is compared to these. I would have figured JJP would surely not send out messed up playfields as replacements, so I must have gotten one that sat a while and is fine now (possibility) or was part of a new batch (maybe they were testing some or maybe they changed something along the way). Sure would be nice to know.

#2820 4 years ago

Yeah, I got a spare set of decals, a set of mylar, a map disc decal, plastics, malestrom ramp, chest bracket... lol. I'm collecting.
I think with these two items you have everything that makes up the playfield install. The map disc I figured would look horrible compared to the new playfield.
JJP Part Number
62-000036-01
62-000041-XX
Description
POTC Spinning Map Disk Decal
POTC Clear Mylar PF/Siderail Protectors Sheet
Rate

THanks for posting that! I’m sure it will help someone. About the map disc, you’d be shocked how well that thing cleans up. On my new-to-me CE the disc was basically black compared to the playfield. I wiped it with alcohol and it looks new again. It has a pretty nice clear finish, but it does tend to collect the ball dust!

#2821 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

THanks for posting that! I’m sure it will help someone. About the map disc, you’d be shocked how well that thing cleans up. On my new-to-me CE the disc was basically black compared to the playfield. I wiped it with alcohol and it looks new again. It has a pretty nice clear finish, but it does tend to collect the ball dust!

I was hoping that was the case, it seems different than other decals. For $6 I figured why not.

#2822 4 years ago

The one I got I could easily get my nail into. Also I suggest the tnut kit as well as the Mylar.

#2823 4 years ago

So I tried the nail test in apron area and it. Did not simple or leave mark. I also had a small wooden dowel that it lightly pressed in same area and no mark.

I’m confident this is a different finish or clear. The Finish on PF seems to have a bit of a different finish to it, much higher luster/gloss.

#2824 4 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Yeah that was me. So I got a new playfield. What the hell am I supposed to do now? There's no way I'm qualified to swap it in.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Quoted from KornFreak28:

Anybody can swap a playfield. Take lots of pictures and take it step by step. Get a rotisserie and you should be fine

One needs two playfield rotisseries not one side by side you move the parts from one playfield to the other but first time you might want to take a week off work as it is not a weekend job. Play your game enjoy your game sell your game

#2825 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I’ve had to clean my map several times and I’m still impressed every time. I would think that after tons of plays it would start to wear. Nope a small spray of novus 1 on a rag and she ( map disc) looks new after a 30 second wipe down

#2826 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

it does tend to collect the ball dust!

#2827 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

One needs two playfield rotisseries not one side by side you move the parts from one playfield to the other but first time you might want to take a week off work as it is not a weekend job. Play your game enjoy your game sell your game

BS. You can also remove everything with the playfield still in the game. I’ve done it. Take a week off work? What’s the rush?

#2828 4 years ago

Given he spearheaded this thread, and helped push this issue along with all of our reports as well....it definitely would seem nice if JJP either gave harryhoudini a refund or one of these new playfields.

As I see it, not very knowledgeable admittedly, these must come at the cost of no more than $300...$400 max? And who knows if Mirco was able to file an insurance claim, or JJP for any issues they each incurred.

That said, he already bought a replacement one for $550, one assumed to be made prior to this new batch. So in a way, he's somewhat paid the cost for a second playfield, minus $100/200.

Throw the guy a bone JJP boys! I'd wager with that kind of treatment, and Eric on the next game....Harry might overwhelmingly consider another JJP. Who knows?

And Harry, have you considered contacting the original buyer to see if they made a claim or might be receiving a replacement playfield?

potc2_5234 (resized).jpgpotc2_5234 (resized).jpg
#2829 4 years ago

After all this bs and the way Jack has handled it and treated people I don’t know why anyone would buy from him again.

#2830 4 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

After all this bs and the way Jack has handled it and treated people I don’t know why anyone would buy from him again.

Wow. I really don't want to get involved in arguing about this again, but I gotta say that's just not fair.

First he offered playfields at 1/2 price (presumably his cost.)
Then he offered them free, and called people to personally apologize and make it right.
Then he made good on it and sent them out.
He got to the bottom of the issue and fixed it on machines going forward.

What else could he possibly have done?

#2831 4 years ago

Well to be honest I did t get that he had started calling people to apologies and was giving them for free. Last I tuned into their people were bitching and raising hell with him to get anything and we’re pretty much getting the same shit play fields so my apologies for not being informed. It is disappointing however to have a non pin and see the pf fall apart in less than a year. I won’t tell my story again, you all know it. It left a bitter taste in my mouth that still hasn’t gone away. I couldn’t get rid of the game fast enough. I just hope the issue has been dealt with. No one wants to have to install a pf on a game they just bought and most wouldn’t attempt it anyway and will play their game as is

#2832 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Wow. I really don't want to get involved in arguing about this again, but I gotta say that's just not fair.
Then he offered them free, and called people to personally apologize and make it right.

To be fair, not everyone has received the replacement playfields they were promised and some even got a follow-up email a couple of months ago asking them to essentially prove again they deserve to be compensated. While I agree with your general premise, I think you're being a bit willing to paint Jack in a more positive light than he's deserved. Until all who have been promised playfields are made whole again, I think this still sits out there as a dark cloud...

Jeff

#2833 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I think it's fair. His "solution" was to charge the customer yet another $500 for a blank PF that would be useless to most and an expensive install if they hired somebody else to do it.

This is after the customer spent 10K + and is now being asked to pay yet again to correct JJP's defective PF's.

This would have been the ONLY offer from JJP if there hadn't been a massive outcry and a flood of pictures showing the pooling and chipping. They also knew there was a problem as some POTC's had this issue and then they just went right ahead with WW anyway. Finally they offered to send out blank PF's.

I wish JJP the best and want them to be successful but let's not look at the recent past with rose colored glasses.

I also know he has to answer to investors, etc for unexpected expenditures so I'm not trying to portray him as some kind of villain.

#2834 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

No playfield here yet...so it is still an issue

#2835 4 years ago

wesman

Quoted from zaphX:

He didn't offer anything, it took what, like 6 months of prodding, posts here, a certified letter to 5 different people and many people calling and complaining. Even then it was all on the sly, if I didn't post here and other people didn't post to inform us I would never know that this was an option. He acquiesced enough to get people to stop complaining so hard by giving them the honor of paying 1/2 price for a playfield that should have been correct from the beginning. That's not an offer, that's a meager attempt and doing the least amount possible with the least possible financial impact without much care or concern for the customers spending $9-$12k or whatever on a toy.

Then it took more poking and prodding to get a reasonable, albeit not very fair, solution for the customer. And even then nothing was said. If no one here posted that they got a call from Jack there would be zero trace of this, like a fart in the wind. He sure as shit didn't call me and we haven't heard from anyone else who had the $550 playfield, have we? Did anyone get a refund? Because everyone sure should be entitled to one if they have missing paint and clear.

What he could have done is stopped the line when the issue was found. Figure out the cause and the fix. Let customers know proactively so they could do whatever JJP suggested for remediation or prevention and then announced ALL of that to the public. Instead they literally did NOTHING until they were called out yet they KNEW there was a problem!

For facks sake man. He isn't doing great business nor customer service, he's scraping by doing the least possible. That's shameful.

#2836 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

You don't really need 2 rotisseries - just one is enough. Leave the old pf in the game and the new one in the rotisserie. Just hot swap the parts over. Of course if you have 2 use them, but it's not essential.

It's really not a hard job. Just need to be methodical, take photos, don't rush, and have the right tools. I've done a few including a WOZ - this is probably in the same league as WOZ. Took about 20 hours at a guess.

#2837 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

You don't really need 2 rotisseries - just one is enough. Leave the old pf in the game and the new one in the rotisserie. Just hot swap the parts over. Of course if you have 2 use them, but it's not essential.
It's really not a hard job. Just need to be methodical, take photos, don't rush, and have the right tools. I've done a few including a WOZ - this is probably in the same league as WOZ. Took about 20 hours at a guess.

Do you think it's possible with no rotisserie? Pull and bag all the parts, swap playfields, then reload? Obviously with lots of 4k 60fps video to help answer reassembly questions.

I would totally watch a 20 hour playfield swap stream, with interest.

#2838 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

To be fair, not everyone has received the replacement playfields they were promised and some even got a follow-up email a couple of months ago asking them to essentially prove again they deserve to be compensated. While I agree with your general premise, I think you're being a bit willing to paint Jack in a more positive light than he's deserved. Until all who have been promised playfields are made whole again, I think this still sits out there as a dark cloud...
Jeff

Pretty much my view also. I think in isolation it’s not a bad response by JJP to offer the replacement playfields but I’m taking into consideration the whole timeline of it and how it all happened in my case for my decision to not buy from them anymore.

I went through a lot of phone calls and emails with them with zero response in June and July when all I was asking for was advice on how to repair the chip on mine. I wasn’t even asking for a replacement playfield but they still wouldn’t be bothered with responding to me for almost 2 months while my game sat idle. They finally ended up forwarding good (and very simple) advice from the playfield maker but it shouldn’t have taken anywhere near as long or as many calls (including some with some attitude from their side) to get it. It was just horrible customer service.

And Jack’s calls and replacement offer didn’t come until the first week of September, and even then it seemed like the only reason it happened was because Wonka sales we’re taking a hit. I really feel if Wonka orders hadn’t taken a hit JJP would have remained silent and done nothing. So, for me, their crappy service and unwillingness to address the playfield issue until Wonka sales took a hit more than outweighs what their final resolution was. I don’t feel like they really stood behind their product until they absolutely had to, and I don’t want to buy from a company like that. It’s a shame too because I love the design and gameplay of Pirates and would love to get another JJP if one appeals to me, but I won’t do it.

#2839 4 years ago

I swapped my first pf, a IJ, laying the new pf on phone books.

#2840 4 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I swapped my first pf, a IJ, laying the new pf on phone books.

Proves phone books still have some worth!

#2841 4 years ago

wesman

He didn't offer anything, it took what, like 6 months of prodding, posts here, a certified letter to 5 different people and many people calling and complaining. Even then it was all on the sly, if I didn't post here and other people didn't post to inform us I would never know that this was an option. He acquiesced enough to get people to stop complaining so hard by giving them the honor of paying 1/2 price for a playfield that should have been correct from the beginning. That's not an offer, that's a meager attempt and doing the least amount possible with the least possible financial impact without much care or concern for the customers spending $9-$12k or whatever on a toy.
Then it took more poking and prodding to get a reasonable, albeit not very fair, solution for the customer. And even then nothing was said. If no one here posted that they got a call from Jack there would be zero trace of this, like a fart in the wind. He sure as shit didn't call me and we haven't heard from anyone else who had the $550 playfield, have we? Did anyone get a refund? Because everyone sure should be entitled to one if they have missing paint and clear.
What he could have done is stopped the line when the issue was found. Figure out the cause and the fix. Let customers know proactively so they could do whatever JJP suggested for remediation or prevention and then announced ALL of that to the public. Instead they literally did NOTHING until they were called out yet they KNEW there was a problem!
For facks sake man. He isn't doing great business nor customer service, he's scraping by doing the least possible. That's shameful.

I did buy the replacement playfield in June because at the time I felt like it was my best option (actually the only option) for making sure a game I want to keep forever could be made better if/when the playfield gets worse. And even with me buying the replacement playfield they still completely sucked at delivering any information on how to try to resolve the chip on my existing one. And let's also not forget that at that time (June) they were also adding insult to injury by charging shipping for those replacements. I felt that charging shipping for the replacement playfield was pretty obnoxious and, again, an indicator of how they truly feel about customer service and standing behind their product. I got a refund for the playfield and shipping I think about 3 weeks after Jacks early September calls. Doesn't erase the bitter taste of the entire experience and my impression of the company though. It's gonna suck if Eric's next game is another great one because I'd love to get it but ain't no way in Hades I will.

#2842 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Do you think it's possible with no rotisserie? Pull and bag all the parts, swap playfields, then reload? Obviously with lots of 4k 60fps video to help answer reassembly questions.
I would totally watch a 20 hour playfield swap stream, with interest.

I've never used a rotisserie. A long single-sided work bench and several towels to lay the playfields on. Did several Eight Ball Deluxe and Centaurs. This was when they were on route making great money.

#2843 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I've never used a rotisserie. A long single-sided work bench and several towels to lay the playfields on. Did several Eight Ball Deluxe and Centaurs. This was when they were on route making great money.

Lol I'm with you on that. Took me a long time to justify a rotisserie purchase. For years I used (4) simple 12" pieces of 2x4 place in all the corners to act like table legs. Single drywall screw and washer on each to clamp it to the playfield and I was pulling parts. Wasn't as pretty but for under $3 I could do a swap in a day.

#2844 4 years ago

I just made my own rotisserie using some work horses I already had and some wood. Works perfectly.

#2845 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

And Harry, have you considered contacting the original buyer to see if they made a claim or might be receiving a replacement playfield?[quoted image]

Oh yeah, I asked him a while back and he said no, he would not help me.

#2846 4 years ago

I went the bike stand route from Amazon.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#2847 4 years ago

Jesus man, that sucks, quite a lot.....

#2848 4 years ago

No I said I wouldn’t lie for you like you asked...

You wanted me to file the claim with JJP directly even after you posted on FB and Pinside that you bought the game.
Just like when you authorized the chargeback on the pf but posted about in an online forum. Proving you’re a liar.

#2849 4 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

No I said I wouldn’t lie for you like you asked...
You wanted me to file the claim with JJP directly even after you posted on FB and Pinside that you bought the game.
Just like when you authorized the chargeback on the pf but posted about in an online forum. Proving you’re a liar.

*gulp*

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

24,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanted
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

There are 3,006 posts in this topic. You are on page 57 of 61.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-who-has-playfield-dimples-cracking-wear-around-star-posts-/page/57?hl=gnarlee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.