(Topic ID: 242867)

PoTC - Who has playfield cracking & wear around sling posts?

By harryhoudini

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,006 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinDeadHead
  • Topic is favorited by 57 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What kind of issues are you seeing?”

• I have visible dimples but no chipping 47 votes
    22%
  • I can see chipping but haven't done anything yet 69 votes
    32%
  • I can see chipping and installed mylar, washer and/or larger star post 33 votes
    15%
  • My playfield looks fine (but I haven't removed the star posts) 33 votes
    15%
  • I removed the star posts and my playfield looks fine 16 votes
    7%
  • My game had clear washers installed from the factory 16 votes
    7%

(Multiple choice - 214 votes by 202 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8a08956226ce33ab4cbce84ac85256fac4d2c495 (resized).jpg
272de6fede9fee8a8547778ad012df344b85326e (resized).jpg
20200319_164738 (resized).jpg
AEF37959-C604-4A07-B193-2416A6A62929 (resized).jpeg
F10537D7-D970-4859-B5C9-CF482DF29BFA (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200320_103742 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200320_101453 (resized).jpg
917EEAC5-4AC1-4204-BDA8-5497FFCB4BAC (resized).jpeg
83458836-4863-4833-8D88-F5A9E65F9517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3627 (resized).jpeg
20200127_171934 (resized).jpg
Shocked.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
potc2_5234 (resized).jpg
3FC99A16-7187-44B6-811B-16DD827ABC65 (resized).jpeg
20200125_090027 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,006 posts in this topic. You are on page 56 of 61.
#2751 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Don't tell my wife how many new playfields I have under the guest bed, please.

Your secret is safe with me! Lol

#2752 4 years ago

Your secret is safe with me! Lol

Quoted from 3pinballs:

If I ever had serious issues with my game...I Seriously would drive my game to the plant and have them do the playfield swap as they have all the tools to do it.
No way would I ever try to do it myself!

Funny you mention taking it to the factory.

I said that to them back in March or April when this all started and they laughed and said not gonna happen and not possible.

#2753 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Well, since they will never make this game again and if as a owner your planning to keep it for 20-30 years swapping a PF our on your own or even if paying someone to do it really isn’t that unreasonable in the big picture.

Would I buy a spare out of my pocket just to have? No I wouldn’t but since the remedy is to provide one for free it is insurance in the back pocket should my art disintegrate in 5 years.

Fair enough, if you're planning on keeping it got over 20 years. I'm not sure what JJPs cost is for the playfields, but I would rather them send me the cash equivalent. I would have much more use with the cash then a playfield that I have to store decades. They should give the customer the option.

#2754 4 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Fair enough, if you're planning on keeping it got over 20 years. I'm not sure what JJPs cost is for the playfields, but I would rather them send me the cash equivalent. I would have much more use with the cash then a playfield that I have to store decades. They should give the customer the option.

Cash would be better but wasn’t offered.

At one point there was a mention of discount off another machine but what’s the point when they maybe make 1 per year and you may not want the machine they make and it would require a significant outlay of money to save a couple bucks.

#2755 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

Same thing happened to me. I submitted a ticket, I got a call from Jack promising a playfield, 2 months later I get an email asking for more pictures, sent them and have heard nothing since. This is my first jjp game and first experience with their customer service, still scratching my head trying to figure out what is going on

Same situation on my end.

I'm being patient, but the lack of details doesn't quell anxiety.

#2756 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

If I ever had serious issues with my game...I Seriously would drive my game to the plant and have them do the playfield swap as they have all the tools to do it.
No way would I ever try to do it myself!

There are pretty much no special tools you need. The most you might want is a special stand/rack/rotisserie to hold the playfield(s). I haven't looked at specifically doing the swap, but I've torn apart enough of the game to know that almost everything is plug and play. There are some little tips and tricks about installing items on a new playfield but nothing someone at home couldn't easily do in a modern game. If you consider a soldering iron a special tool and don't use them the yes, it would be more challenging to get up to speed to do it. But anyone can learn. My wife does most of the soldering for our products now, never knew how to do it before.

#2757 4 years ago

I see that your wife isn't a keen cleaner either. ; P

#2758 4 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

I see that your wife isn't a keen cleaner either. ; P

"Just some boxes, don't worry about it" ....

1 month later
#2759 4 years ago

Anyone heard anything from JJP as of late...??? Seems like several people have been promised replacement playfields and are still waiting...???

Jeff

#2760 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

Anyone heard anything from JJP as of late...??? Seems like several people have been promised replacement playfields and are still waiting...???
Jeff

I emailed Jack about 10 days before Christmas and he said they are on they way, be another few weeks. That’s the latest I’ve heard.

#2761 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I emailed Jack about 10 days before Christmas and he said they are on they way, be another few weeks. That’s the latest I’ve heard.

Same.

#2762 4 years ago

Welp, saw this thread at the top of my list and been meaning to update. My chargeback was refused by the credit card company, as several suspected. They never even contacted me, which seems very odd based on my few other disputes in my lifetime. I'm going to call them and see why, just so I know.

Jack hasn't returned my contacts to him, so seems like I'm on the hook for the $550. I guess the lesson here is not to expect the same kind of customer service from JJP if you are the 2nd owner of a game. Sadly that makes my next purchase a Spooky NIB and then probably a Stern (never had one).

#2763 4 years ago

IMO, Stern is killing it lately.

JP, another BK, and now ST (2 of which are huge titles). They are practically flexing IMO.

First owned Stern might be a NIB BK:SOR this year.

#2764 4 years ago

Stern isn't exactly a model of customer service either. Ask the folks that have to jump through 5 layers of hoops in order to get a playfield replaced...then wait months and months before Stern fulfills their agreement.

#2765 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Stern isn't exactly a model of customer service either. Ask the folks that have to jump through 5 layers of hoops in order to get a playfield replaced...then wait months and months before Stern fulfills their agreement.

I’ve never had any issues with Stern personally whether for random parts or a node board but at least they do eventually replace the PF’s. Jumping through some hoops is ok as long as they come through and they can’t just hand them out like candy.

I’ve been jumping through hoops with JJP since last April/May. Coming up on a year and nothing yet however Jack did personally promise me a PF and as of 3 weeks ago told me they are coming soon. We will see I guess.

#2766 4 years ago

Welp, saw this thread at the top of my list and been meaning to update. My chargeback was refused by the credit card company, as several suspected. They never even contacted me, which seems very odd based on my few other disputes in my lifetime. I'm going to call them and see why, just so I know.
Jack hasn't returned my contacts to him, so seems like I'm on the hook for the $550. I guess the lesson here is not to expect the same kind of customer service from JJP if you are the 2nd owner of a game. Sadly that makes my next purchase a Spooky NIB and then probably a Stern (never had one).

I'm with JJP on this one. You have zero warranty.

#2767 4 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

This really is a problem. What is the difference between a machine that swapped hands 1 time and a machine that was say a demo at expo. The demo had a 1000 plays in a weekend that comes with a warranty. What about all the nub machines that have come up in recent months from private sellers. One in theory could buy a nib machine and still not have a warranty which is bullshit. If jjp Were smart they would figure out a way to transfer a warranty if you have original sales receipt. I’m sure all the second hand users would pay a small fee to have this done. Not extending warranty just making sure the original year is honored

#2768 4 years ago

I'm sick of having to reply to this statement. I've probably done it 20 or so times now.

NO ONE HAS A WARRANTY TO COVER THIS.

THIS REPLACEMENT IS NOT UNDER ANY WARRANTY.

Read the damn warranty. This situation has absolutely zero relationship with any warranty JJP offers, ZERO. If you happen to be an owner who got their game within the last 30 days AND registered the game with JJP within FIVE days of getting it you have a 30 day warranty. Otherwise you have a 6 month - 1 year warranty on ELECTRONICS only.

This is a manufacturing defect and all affected GAMES should be covered under this replacement as Jack himself stated to me. Tossing your opinion in late in the game on a huge thread means nothing if you don't know the history and facts behind the situation. If you'd been following along you'd know that your post makes no sense.

#2769 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

IMO, Stern is killing it lately.
JP, another BK, and now ST (2 of which are huge titles). They are practically flexing IMO.
First owned Stern might be a NIB BK:SOR this year.

Might want to pass on NIB BK's as barely used BKLE's are hitting the 6k mark already. Save yourself some money. Personally sold mine before the box was hauled away....

#2770 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Might want to pass on NIB BK's as barely used BKLE's are hitting the 6k mark already. Save yourself some money. Personally sold mine before the box was hauled away....

BKSOR is a fine game...if you get one for $4000.

#2771 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

BKSOR is a fine game...if you get one for $4000.

Premium?

#2772 4 years ago

per the designer, do not play the machine. That is If you don't want any play field damage,

#2773 4 years ago

I'm sick of having to reply to this statement. I've probably done it 20 or so times now.
NO ONE HAS A WARRANTY TO COVER THIS.

I do.

*shrug*

#2774 4 years ago

If you got your Wonka within the last 30 days and registered it with JJP within 5 days of getting it and you have chipping around the posts, you win the factory Charlie. That situation probably accounts for less than 2% of game owners between Wonka and POTC. Did they ship you a new playfield?

But your assertion that because I didn't buy my game directly from JJP so my game isn't due a playfield is absurd. This is a wide spread manufacturing defect. I don't stop getting recall fixes for my car because I'm the 2nd owner. JJP is not excused from giving the same remedy to everyone who owns one of these games just because it isn't the original purchaser. The game is still defective and they still caused the problem, same as all the other games.

#2775 4 years ago

If you got your Wonka within the last 30 days and registered it with JJP within 5 days of getting it and you have chipping around the posts, you win the factory Charlie. That situation probably accounts for less than 2% of game owners between Wonka and POTC. Did they ship you a new playfield?
But your assertion that because I didn't buy my game directly from JJP so my game isn't due a playfield is absurd. This is a wide spread manufacturing defect. I don't stop getting recall fixes for my car because I'm the 2nd owner. JJP is not excused from giving the same remedy to everyone who owns one of these games just because it isn't the original purchaser. The game is still defective and they still caused the problem, same as all the other games.

Carguments don't apply here. Pinball manufacturers do not issue "recalls" like car manufacturers are required by law to do. Apples & oranges.

Widespread issue or not, you are not a covered owner. The conversation stops there. You can try to get them to help you, but you'll just be told to pound sand.

#2776 4 years ago

Carguments don't apply here. Pinball manufacturers do not issue "recalls" like car manufacturers are required by law to do. Apples & oranges.
Widespread issue or not, you are not a covered owner. The conversation stops there. You can try to get them to help you, but you'll just be told to pound sand.

This is how class action lawsuits get started. A defect is a defect. So your saying if there was a fatal flaw with a machine like stray power Harry should not get the parts? If it was a complaint about something trivial I understand but this is a core component of the machine and should be fixed accordingly with how new the machine is.

#2777 4 years ago

So every owner who has a game over 30 days old isn't entitled to a new playfield? Because JJP seems to think they are and they are not covered under warranty. How would this even have been noticed and dealt with within 30 days of owning the machine? The issue wasn't immediately apparent.

You can't pick and choose your remedy class. Either only warranty games are covered or all games with the defect are. It does not matter who owns it at the time, the game is the game. JJP made it, they screwed up, they should resolve the issue on all games they sold. The post kit isn't only for 1st owners within 30 days. The snubber update wasn't for only warranty owners. All owners are entitled to the consideration because they own the product which has the defect from the factory. Furthermore, it's just good business and the right way to treat all customers, all owners of their games.

No, they are under no specific legal contract that I know of, IANAL, to fix their issue. Jack said they would treat all owners the same, no special treatment. He said this directly to me on the phone. If JJP isn't going to stand up and take responsibility for the issue on all games which have it I think many 2nd owners who have Wonka and POTCs wouldn't be very happy about that.

In fact, the playfield I got was already under a "recall" replacement, which is why it was $550. JJP knows there is an issue, they have privately admitted they would send free playfields to some chosen owners with the issue. If my game wasn't included, by your standards, in that remedy then why did they approve my initial purchase?

#2778 4 years ago

I'm sorry your game was defective. You were not under warranty. I don't know what else to tell you. Don't buy any more JJP products.

As to the class action lawsuit topic, that's never gonna happen. Not for this issue. It's been said before, the only people who win in a class action suit like this are the lawyers. Even worse, something like that could cause a company like JJP to go out of business. Then EVERYONE gets negatively affected.

#2779 4 years ago

I'm sorry your game was defective. You were not under warranty. I don't know what else to tell you. Don't buy any more JJP products.
As to the class action lawsuit topic, that's never gonna happen. Not for this issue. It's been said before, the only people who win in a class action suit like this are the lawyers. Even worse, something like that could cause a company like JJP to go out of business. Then EVERYONE gets negatively affected.

My 2 cents, I think the main point is it’s pretty likely a lot of people who received a replacement playfield or playfield purchase reimbursement from JJP were not still under warranty when the issue rose up or was detected, so why treat Harry differently? JJP’s warranty for something like this only runs 30 days and this issue really only reared up in late spring 2019, well after games started shipping in October 2018. So it stands to reason JJP didn’t have an obligation under warranty to a lot of people who they either reimbursed or promised a replacement playfield to. JJP still decided on the playfield reimbursement/replacement remedy for those impacted machines anyway, which really made it more equivalent to a recall than a warranty issue.

Since those impacted machines were addressed by JJP whether or not they were technically still under warranty, then who owns any impacted machine or whether it’s still under warranty really shouldn’t matter. If it’s impacted the same as the others who weren’t under warranty then it should be handled the same as the others who weren’t under warranty.

#2780 4 years ago

If Jack delivers for at least some people, it's better than how American Pinball handled the faulty power supply issue. They charge you $150 to replace the defective part, but will refund you on the next machine you buy. How rich of them!

#2781 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

If Jack delivers for at least some people, it's better than how American Pinball handled the faulty power supply issue. They charge you $150 to replace the defective part, but will refund you on the next machine you buy. How rich of them!

LOL "IF" is the middle word in life

2 weeks later
#2782 4 years ago

Saw over on our FB JJP Fan page today where a member received a Wonka PF warranty replacement this week. Pretty awesome.

#2783 4 years ago

Saw over on our FB JJP Fan page today where a member received a Wonka PF warranty replacement this week. Pretty awesome.

Meanwhile we are all still waiting for our POTC PF’s!

#2784 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Meanwhile we are all still waiting for our POTC PF’s!

Fingers crossed this first recorded delivery is just the tip of the spear. ; )

#2785 4 years ago

Another Wonka PF reported delivered today on FB. That's two in 24 hours. JJP is making good.

#2786 4 years ago

Assuming these are non-populated?

#2787 4 years ago

And this is what he had to say "Okay then. Now what??" a blank playfield is a big job for an experienced pin mechanic

#2788 4 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

Assuming these are non-populated?

Exactly right.

#2789 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

And this is what he had to say "Okay then. Now what??" a blank playfield is a big job for an experienced pin mechanic

Yeah that was me. So I got a new playfield. What the hell am I supposed to do now? There's no way I'm qualified to swap it in.

20200125_085719 (resized).jpg20200125_085719 (resized).jpg

20200125_090027 (resized).jpg20200125_090027 (resized).jpg

#2790 4 years ago

Yeah that was me. So I got a new playfield. What the hell am I supposed to do now? There's no way I'm qualified to swap it in.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Anybody can swap a playfield. Take lots of pictures and take it step by step. Get a rotisserie and you should be fine

#2791 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Anybody can swap a playfield. Take lots of pictures and take it step by step. Get a rotisserie and you should be fine

Just remember, "Installation is the reverse of removal".

#2792 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Just remember, "Installation is the reverse of removal".

Correct. I restore my own games top to bottom. As long as you take good pics, swapping a playfield is a piece o’ cake

#2793 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Correct. I restore my own games top to bottom. As long as you take good pics, swapping a playfield is a piece o’ cake

Ok, come on over and do it then. My time is worth more than that.

#2794 4 years ago

Has there been any recent update on the shipping of our POTC playfield?

Late March/April with be about 12 months from when we started reporting issues.

#2795 4 years ago

Are you willing to discuss your situation, now that the playfield has been received?

#2796 4 years ago

Yeah that was me. So I got a new playfield. What the hell am I supposed to do now?

The way I see it you have options. What you do depends on whether or not you intend to keep the machine forever or not, how many plays you plan to put on it, how much time or money you plan to put into it, and how upset you are with the current state.

Consider that all playfields do wear given enough time and use.

If you ever think you will sell, just store it safely and plan on making it an incentive for a future buyer. Play the hell out of it and don’t let wear or chipping worry you in the slightest, knowing it can always be repaired later.

If you don’t think you will sell, the decision is whether to repair now or to repair later, with a secondary decision of learn to do it yourself or throw money at the problem and pay someone.

If it were me I’d defer the repair until the playfield is an absolute wreck, but I haven’t seen your current situation nor can I assess how important the current look and feel is to you.

#2797 4 years ago

Think about all the fun and experience you will have after the swap troubleshooting all the things that are no longer working correctly!

I would not want to do a swap until I am retired and have lots of time on my hands. I know I will need it.

#2798 4 years ago

Well shit...guess I spoke to soon earlier

My POTC PF was just delivered via UPS so they are coming!

#2799 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Wow!!

#2800 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Did you get a notification it was coming?

Post some pics!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Electronics
Skillshot Combo
Electronics
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
Protection
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
There are 3,006 posts in this topic. You are on page 56 of 61.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-who-has-playfield-dimples-cracking-wear-around-star-posts-/page/56?hl=xian222 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.