(Topic ID: 242867)

PoTC - Who has playfield cracking & wear around sling posts?

By harryhoudini

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,006 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinDeadHead
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What kind of issues are you seeing?”

• I have visible dimples but no chipping 47 votes
    22%
  • I can see chipping but haven't done anything yet 69 votes
    32%
  • I can see chipping and installed mylar, washer and/or larger star post 33 votes
    15%
  • My playfield looks fine (but I haven't removed the star posts) 33 votes
    15%
  • I removed the star posts and my playfield looks fine 16 votes
    7%
  • My game had clear washers installed from the factory 16 votes
    7%

(Multiple choice - 214 votes by 202 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8a08956226ce33ab4cbce84ac85256fac4d2c495 (resized).jpg
272de6fede9fee8a8547778ad012df344b85326e (resized).jpg
20200319_164738 (resized).jpg
AEF37959-C604-4A07-B193-2416A6A62929 (resized).jpeg
F10537D7-D970-4859-B5C9-CF482DF29BFA (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200320_103742 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200320_101453 (resized).jpg
917EEAC5-4AC1-4204-BDA8-5497FFCB4BAC (resized).jpeg
83458836-4863-4833-8D88-F5A9E65F9517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3627 (resized).jpeg
20200127_171934 (resized).jpg
Shocked.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
potc2_5234 (resized).jpg
3FC99A16-7187-44B6-811B-16DD827ABC65 (resized).jpeg
20200125_090027 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,006 posts in this topic. You are on page 55 of 61.
#2701 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Anyone get the free replacement PF yet?
Jack told me on the phone back on 9/5 it would be a few weeks.
We are now coming up on 2 months, nothing but crickets!

I have not heard anything yet either. I am wanting to give them plenty of time to get this right, but also don't want to slip through the cracks. I guess having it in writing in an email from Jack gives me some reassurance.

#2702 4 years ago

I got my paid replacement and disputed my charge... so, free?

#2703 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

Ok so I tested the hair dryer method on one sling post on my Wonka and it worked pretty well actually. You could see a line where the clear coat had bunched up but it went smooth again. Big improvement. This gives me hope all my bunched posts on my POTC can be saved before they chip. So far I have one chip on the playfield I can’t hide. I’m thinking of using the hair dryer and some neoprene washers. Once the bunched up clearcoat is smoothed much less likely to chip. I am very curious how many other people have tried that method and how successful it has been. Please post your results.

What heat do you set the hair dryer to and how long do you use it for?

#2704 4 years ago
Quoted from jrawlinson_2000:

What heat do you set the hair dryer to and how long do you use it for?

What kind of hair do you have?

#2705 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

What kind of hair do you have?

Just a regular hair dryer, I have ordered the 'repair iron' suggested on this or another thread so I may wait for that to arrive but it scares me as it will be actually touching the playfield....
I guess its carefully does it and not for too long just work at it slowly.

#2706 4 years ago
Quoted from jrawlinson_2000:

Just a regular hair dryer, I have ordered the 'repair iron' suggested on this or another thread so I may wait for that to arrive but it scares me as it will be actually touching the playfield....
I guess its carefully does it and not for too long just work at it slowly.

I *think* his reply was a jokey one. Or inadvertently so... read it again.

#2707 4 years ago

I got my paid replacement and disputed my charge... so, free?

Nice ...

#2708 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Anyone get the free replacement PF yet?
Jack told me on the phone back on 9/5 it would be a few weeks.
We are now coming up on 2 months, nothing but crickets!

Same...nothing yet

#2709 4 years ago
Quoted from VillaThrills:

Same...nothing yet

Nothing here yet either.

#2710 4 years ago

No replacement playfield for me. Still waiting.

#2711 4 years ago

Waiting like the rest. Hopefully after the run of wonka ce fields they will make and ship out our replacements.

#2712 4 years ago

Has anyone installed the opto protection shield from Jersey Jack on the back of the Black Pearl? The shield is supposed to protect the Black Pearl right spinner and left spinner - U-shaped optos #67/68 (18-005003-00).
Am I doing it wrong?
Looks like it doesn't have enough clearance.

20191102_122630 (resized).jpg20191102_122630 (resized).jpg20191102_122653 (resized).jpg20191102_122653 (resized).jpg
#2713 4 years ago

Looks like you are doing it correct. I made my own so I don’t have th JJP one, but I
From the looks of it probably just a tight fit, and have have to move a few wires.

#2714 4 years ago
Quoted from MarZ_78:

Has anyone installed the opto protection shield from Jersey Jack on the back of the Black Pearl? The shield is supposed to protect the Black Pearl right spinner and left spinner - U-shaped optos #67/68 (18-005003-00).
Am I doing it wrong?
Looks like it doesn't have enough clearance.

Thanks for your response Soulrider911 . the previous picture doesnt actually show it well enough but it's not just a tight fit. The screws that hold the optos in place prevent this from being installed in this manner. Even if these screws were shorter the shield would make contact with the optical sensor and would not mount flush.
If this is the intended installation orientation the shield is not built correctly in my opinion.

20191102_150212 (resized).jpg20191102_150212 (resized).jpg
#2716 4 years ago
Quoted from Huntsolo:

Waiting like the rest. Hopefully after the run of wonka ce fields they will make and ship out our replacements.

Unfortunately I don't own this game, but I would start making some phone calls starting with Jack - if he told you this was the case for the delay at least everyone would know what's going on.

#2717 4 years ago

Little to no communication or extended lapses of communication between manufacturer and end user when things go wrong is very typical in the pinball business.

I’m sure everything is just peachy.

#2718 4 years ago

I think most people just bought the window, shameless self promotion:
https://pinballmods.co/pinball-mods/Stand-up-illuminated-window-jjp-potc

That’s what I was thinking too, I love the illuminated window, does the job beautifully

#2719 4 years ago
Quoted from MarZ_78:

Am I doing it wrong?
Looks like it doesn't have enough clearance.[quoted image][quoted image]

I installed it. It was tight but I got it on. You could widen the holes a little. I then ordered HarryHoudini’s illuminated window instead of the opto protector like he mentioned above and I love it. Hides the mechs and wires and serves same function as the opto protector on the back.

#2720 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

I installed it. It was tight but I got it on. You could widen the holes a little. I then ordered HarryHoudini’s illuminated window instead of the opto protector like he mentioned above and I love it. Hides the mechs and wires and serves same function as the opto protector on the back.

Have yet to install mine. Was it a pretty easy go for you?

#2721 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Little to no communication or extended lapses of communication between manufacturer and end user when things go wrong is very typical in the pinball business.
I’m sure everything is just peachy.

There's plenty of communication. It's just not what I want to hear. I'm trying to be patient.

-wonka owner #08742206, play field #105, clear coat case #5107

#2722 4 years ago
Quoted from MarZ_78:

Thanks for your response soulrider911 . the previous picture doesnt actually show it well enough but it's not just a tight fit. The screws that hold the optos in place prevent this from being installed in this manner. Even if these screws were shorter the shield would make contact with the optical sensor and would not mount flush.
If this is the intended installation orientation the shield is not built correctly in my opinion.[quoted image]

You can also take that protective film off so it looks better...I installed, but the settings if I recall for the VUK for BP should be at 20 instead of i think 32.

That will help prevent damage to the optos setting it lower...My opto is broken at the top and held on by bottom screw...I do have a replacement but won't put on until it goes.

I did put blue loctite on the screws as I believe not only the ball hitting back of opto, but possible over tightening at factory causes these to break where the screw goes in. It's a good design, just not a solid/strong design.

#2723 4 years ago

I think most people just bought the window, shameless self promotion:
https://pinballmods.co/pinball-mods/Stand-up-illuminated-window-jjp-potc

Aye! That's awesome!
Maybe I could add this mod the same time I go about adding the cliffy's.

Any update on Cliffy btw?

#2724 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Aye! That's awesome!
Maybe I could add this mod the same time I go about adding the cliffy's.
Any update on Cliffy btw?

Cliffy is trying to deal with the fires, smoke, smog, and lingering effects from those in the California area. Not sure when he'll be back at work again.

#2725 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Cliffy is trying to deal with the fires, smoke, smog, and lingering effects from those in the California area. Not sure when he'll be back at work again.

Trust me Cliff is all good....there is no fires, smoke or smog.....never was in his area...

#2726 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Trust me Cliff is all good....there is no fires, smoke or smog.....never was in his area...

I meant more indirectly, power issues and such.

And that entire state seems like it's ablaze one week, one year or another, these past five years. I'm concerned the whole place will turn to tinder...

#2727 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I meant more indirectly, power issues and such.
And that entire state seems like it's ablaze one week, one year or another, these past five years. I'm concerned the whole place will turn to tinder...

The inner Bay Area wasn't really affected

#2728 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

The inner Bay Area wasn't really affected

I think he had some power fluctuations.

#2729 4 years ago

Good to hear!

I guess some rumors got out that turned out to NOT be true.

#2730 4 years ago

Pinball Life just recently (this weekend) got a new stock of Cliffys back in and I ordered a few for Wonka and TZ.

#2731 4 years ago

I got my TOTAN Cliffys recently... so he's definitely shipping

#2732 4 years ago

I've bought a full set of cliffys for POTC and there is a really small one that is a 90' configuration with two screw holes. Anyone know where this goes?

#2733 4 years ago

DarthSinex thats for the map hole - edit: made a mistake in previous comment

#2734 4 years ago
Quoted from DarthSinex:

I've bought a full set of cliffys for POTC and there is a really small one that is a 90' configuration with two screw holes. Anyone know where this goes?

Here’s a link to the page from the website for Cliffys that has the picture with label for each piece. I think the one with two holes you’re referring to might be the map hole 2nd protector (goes on top of the main map protector).

http://passionforpinball.com/WIP/JJP-POTC-SET.JPG

#2735 4 years ago
Quoted from DarthSinex:

Thats for the map hole...there are actually two protectors that go in this area.

#2736 4 years ago

I just got a tracking number today from Cliffy for my protector set, so it looks like he is shipping again.

#2737 4 years ago

This has turned into a Cliffy’s thread...

Haha

1 week later
#2738 4 years ago

For those of you using Titan’s silicone washers on posts, Did you notice that the posts are never fully tightened? I noticed I could keep tightening and tightening the post and although they did get tight, they never came to a complete stop as they would without the silicone washers. Just wondering if it’s OK to leave them like that?

#2739 4 years ago

Silicone will compress to the point where it would deform/rip apart. I would put some loctite to help prevent post from coming loose.

#2740 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

For those of you using Titan’s silicone washers on posts, Did you notice that the posts are never fully tightened? I noticed I could keep tightening and tightening the post and although they did get tight, they never came to a complete stop as they would without the silicone washers. Just wondering if it’s OK to leave them like that?

On the titan site (I just was looking at these) it says not to tighten the post down too much. I was going to order some but I have enough other crap to mess with and I have a butt load of black and clear rubber washers so I'm just going to stick with those that are already on the game.

#2741 4 years ago

Any update on our free PF’s?

Jack replied to my email about two weeks ago stating it would be a few more weeks.

#2742 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Any update on our free PF’s?
Jack replied to my email about two weeks ago stating it would be a few more weeks.

I've heard nothing. I just have some light pooling, no chipping currently.

I sent a ticket back in late August. This was when there was still no communication from the manufacturers and I sent it more as a "Yes, there is truly an issue, here is another example" courtesy ticket. I received a response back in early September from Steve that Jack was putting me on the playfield list (so I assumed I would be receiving a playfield - guess that may have been a bad assumption) and I would be hearing from Jack. I never heard from him. I sent a message mid/late October to check in. Jack emailed me early November asking me for pictures again (which I sent). Crickets since then.

I've usually had good customer service from JJP (have owned all of their games except Wonka), but am really disappointed with how they have handled this.

#2743 4 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

I sent a ticket back in late August. This was when there was still no communication from the manufacturers and I sent it more as a "Yes, there is truly an issue, here is another example" courtesy ticket. I received a response back in early September from Steve that Jack was putting me on the playfield list (so I assumed I would be receiving a playfield - guess that may have been a bad assumption) and I would be hearing from Jack. I never heard from him. I sent a message mid/late October to check in. Jack emailed me early November asking me for pictures again (which I sent). Crickets since then.
I've usually had good customer service from JJP (have owned all of their games except Wonka), but am really disappointed with how they have handled this.

Hmmmm...maybe you should give them a call.

Jack did personally call several of us back in Sept to apologize for the issues and that replacement PF’s would be coming.

I haven’t gotten mine yet but he did respond to my email about two weeks ago stating it would be a couple more weeks.

Hopefully they start sending them soon!

#2744 4 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

Same thing happened to me. I submitted a ticket, I got a call from Jack promising a playfield, 2 months later I get an email asking for more pictures, sent them and have heard nothing since. This is my first jjp game and first experience with their customer service, still scratching my head trying to figure out what is going on

#2745 4 years ago

I saw people posting on Facebook that Stern emailed them and is sending new JP playfields.

#2746 4 years ago

I'm still confused as to what we would do with these new playfields? I mean are you truly going to swap it out, ever? Even if you have a couple of chips? I know I wouldn't. I'd likely just touch it up and move on. Likewise, if I were purchasing a game and the seller told me they had a spare playfield that I could swap out, that wouldn't make that game worth anymore, at least to me. I know I would never swap it out. I suppose if there were two pirates for sale at the same price and the same condition, one had a spare playfield and the other didn't, I would take the one with the spare. I guess I can sell it for a few bucks? However, if Jack starts shipping spares out to most of the owners with issues, what will the glut of spare playfields really be worth and who would be buying them?

#2747 4 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I'm still confused as to what we would do with these new playfields? I mean are you truly going to swap it out, ever? Even if you have a couple of chips? I know I wouldn't. I'd likely just touch it up and move on. Likewise, if I were purchasing a game and the seller told me they had a spare playfield that I could swap out, that wouldn't make that game worth anymore, at least to me. I know I would never swap it out. I suppose if there were two pirates for sale at the same price and the same condition, one had a spare playfield and the other didn't, I would take the one with the spare. I guess I can sell it for a few bucks? However, if Jack starts shipping spares out to most of the owners with issues, what will the glut of spare playfields really be worth and who would be buying them?

Well, since they will never make this game again and if as a owner your planning to keep it for 20-30 years swapping a PF our on your own or even if paying someone to do it really isn’t that unreasonable in the big picture.

Would I buy a spare out of my pocket just to have? No I wouldn’t but since the remedy is to provide one for free it is insurance in the back pocket should my art disintegrate in 5 years.

#2748 4 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

It's less about what you would do with it and more about making the situation better. I believe it's called a concession in many transactions. There isn't a way to make the owners "whole" again, making it so the playfield in their machine doesn't have chipping, so this is a small form of recompense. It doesn't put the owners in a position of where they should be (a < year old game that doesn't have chipping) but it's the least a manufacturer can do in this case. If you have the time and skill you can replace it yourself (it's not terribly hard on newer games, lot less soldering and such, almost everything is socketed). I certainly have purchased games because they had bonuses like playfields, plastics, etc. I just bought a TOTAN that had a CPR playfield and plastic set, a $1k value at least and it definitely sweetened the deal.

Not to mention the POTC market is pretty hot with the limited availability so it's not like POTC owners are going to have a problem selling. But if people do their research they will want to know if the game has the OG issue playfield and/or if it comes with or has installed the "fixed" playfield.

#2749 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Would I buy a spare out of my pocket just to have?

Don't tell my wife how many new playfields I have under the guest bed, please.

#2750 4 years ago

If I ever had serious issues with my game...I Seriously would drive my game to the plant and have them do the playfield swap as they have all the tools to do it.

No way would I ever try to do it myself!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

29,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Wanted
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 3,006 posts in this topic. You are on page 55 of 61.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-who-has-playfield-dimples-cracking-wear-around-star-posts-/page/55 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.