(Topic ID: 242867)

PoTC - Who has playfield cracking & wear around sling posts?

By harryhoudini

6 months ago

Topic Stats

• 2,728 posts
  • 206 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by wesman
  • Topic is favorited by 62 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What kind of issues are you seeing?”

• I have visible dimples but no chipping 34 votes
    19%
  • I can see chipping but haven't done anything yet 61 votes
    33%
  • I can see chipping and installed mylar, washer and/or larger star post 28 votes
    15%
  • My playfield looks fine (but I haven't removed the star posts) 30 votes
    16%
  • I removed the star posts and my playfield looks fine 15 votes
    8%
  • My game had clear washers installed from the factory 15 votes
    8%

(Multiple choice - 183 votes by 173 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 397 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20191102_150212 (resized).jpg
20191102_122653 (resized).jpg
20191102_122630 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190923_190912 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3893 (resized).JPG
IMG_3883 (resized).JPG
IMG-4601 (resized).JPG
IMG-4600 (resized).JPG
IMG-4599 (resized).JPG
IMG-4598 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2728 posts in this topic. You are on page 55 of 55.
#2701 14 days ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Anyone get the free replacement PF yet?
Jack told me on the phone back on 9/5 it would be a few weeks.
We are now coming up on 2 months, nothing but crickets!

I have not heard anything yet either. I am wanting to give them plenty of time to get this right, but also don't want to slip through the cracks. I guess having it in writing in an email from Jack gives me some reassurance.

#2702 14 days ago

I got my paid replacement and disputed my charge... so, free?

#2703 13 days ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

Ok so I tested the hair dryer method on one sling post on my Wonka and it worked pretty well actually. You could see a line where the clear coat had bunched up but it went smooth again. Big improvement. This gives me hope all my bunched posts on my POTC can be saved before they chip. So far I have one chip on the playfield I can’t hide. I’m thinking of using the hair dryer and some neoprene washers. Once the bunched up clearcoat is smoothed much less likely to chip. I am very curious how many other people have tried that method and how successful it has been. Please post your results.

What heat do you set the hair dryer to and how long do you use it for?

#2704 13 days ago
Quoted from jrawlinson_2000:

What heat do you set the hair dryer to and how long do you use it for?

What kind of hair do you have?

#2705 12 days ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

What kind of hair do you have?

Just a regular hair dryer, I have ordered the 'repair iron' suggested on this or another thread so I may wait for that to arrive but it scares me as it will be actually touching the playfield....
I guess its carefully does it and not for too long just work at it slowly.

#2706 12 days ago
Quoted from jrawlinson_2000:

Just a regular hair dryer, I have ordered the 'repair iron' suggested on this or another thread so I may wait for that to arrive but it scares me as it will be actually touching the playfield....
I guess its carefully does it and not for too long just work at it slowly.

I *think* his reply was a jokey one. Or inadvertently so... read it again.

#2707 12 days ago

I got my paid replacement and disputed my charge... so, free?

Nice ...

#2708 11 days ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Anyone get the free replacement PF yet?
Jack told me on the phone back on 9/5 it would be a few weeks.
We are now coming up on 2 months, nothing but crickets!

Same...nothing yet

#2709 11 days ago
Quoted from VillaThrills:

Same...nothing yet

Nothing here yet either.

#2710 11 days ago

No replacement playfield for me. Still waiting.

#2711 11 days ago

Waiting like the rest. Hopefully after the run of wonka ce fields they will make and ship out our replacements.

#2712 10 days ago

Has anyone installed the opto protection shield from Jersey Jack on the back of the Black Pearl? The shield is supposed to protect the Black Pearl right spinner and left spinner - U-shaped optos #67/68 (18-005003-00).
Am I doing it wrong?
Looks like it doesn't have enough clearance.

20191102_122630 (resized).jpg20191102_122653 (resized).jpg
#2713 10 days ago

Looks like you are doing it correct. I made my own so I don’t have th JJP one, but I
From the looks of it probably just a tight fit, and have have to move a few wires.

#2714 10 days ago
Quoted from MarZ_78:

Has anyone installed the opto protection shield from Jersey Jack on the back of the Black Pearl? The shield is supposed to protect the Black Pearl right spinner and left spinner - U-shaped optos #67/68 (18-005003-00).
Am I doing it wrong?
Looks like it doesn't have enough clearance.

Thanks for your response soulrider911 . the previous picture doesnt actually show it well enough but it's not just a tight fit. The screws that hold the optos in place prevent this from being installed in this manner. Even if these screws were shorter the shield would make contact with the optical sensor and would not mount flush.
If this is the intended installation orientation the shield is not built correctly in my opinion.

20191102_150212 (resized).jpg
#2716 10 days ago
Quoted from Huntsolo:

Waiting like the rest. Hopefully after the run of wonka ce fields they will make and ship out our replacements.

Unfortunately I don't own this game, but I would start making some phone calls starting with Jack - if he told you this was the case for the delay at least everyone would know what's going on.

#2717 9 days ago

Little to no communication or extended lapses of communication between manufacturer and end user when things go wrong is very typical in the pinball business.

I’m sure everything is just peachy.

#2718 9 days ago

I think most people just bought the window, shameless self promotion:
https://pinballmods.co/pinball-mods/Stand-up-illuminated-window-jjp-potc

That’s what I was thinking too, I love the illuminated window, does the job beautifully

#2719 9 days ago
Quoted from MarZ_78:

Am I doing it wrong?
Looks like it doesn't have enough clearance.[quoted image][quoted image]

I installed it. It was tight but I got it on. You could widen the holes a little. I then ordered HarryHoudini’s illuminated window instead of the opto protector like he mentioned above and I love it. Hides the mechs and wires and serves same function as the opto protector on the back.

#2720 9 days ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

I installed it. It was tight but I got it on. You could widen the holes a little. I then ordered HarryHoudini’s illuminated window instead of the opto protector like he mentioned above and I love it. Hides the mechs and wires and serves same function as the opto protector on the back.

Have yet to install mine. Was it a pretty easy go for you?

#2721 8 days ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Little to no communication or extended lapses of communication between manufacturer and end user when things go wrong is very typical in the pinball business.
I’m sure everything is just peachy.

There's plenty of communication. It's just not what I want to hear. I'm trying to be patient.

-wonka owner #08742206, play field #105, clear coat case #5107

#2722 8 days ago
Quoted from MarZ_78:

Thanks for your response soulrider911 . the previous picture doesnt actually show it well enough but it's not just a tight fit. The screws that hold the optos in place prevent this from being installed in this manner. Even if these screws were shorter the shield would make contact with the optical sensor and would not mount flush.
If this is the intended installation orientation the shield is not built correctly in my opinion.[quoted image]

You can also take that protective film off so it looks better...I installed, but the settings if I recall for the VUK for BP should be at 20 instead of i think 32.

That will help prevent damage to the optos setting it lower...My opto is broken at the top and held on by bottom screw...I do have a replacement but won't put on until it goes.

I did put blue loctite on the screws as I believe not only the ball hitting back of opto, but possible over tightening at factory causes these to break where the screw goes in. It's a good design, just not a solid/strong design.

#2723 5 days ago

I think most people just bought the window, shameless self promotion:
https://pinballmods.co/pinball-mods/Stand-up-illuminated-window-jjp-potc

Aye! That's awesome!
Maybe I could add this mod the same time I go about adding the cliffy's.

Any update on Cliffy btw?

#2724 5 days ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Aye! That's awesome!
Maybe I could add this mod the same time I go about adding the cliffy's.
Any update on Cliffy btw?

Cliffy is trying to deal with the fires, smoke, smog, and lingering effects from those in the California area. Not sure when he'll be back at work again.

#2725 4 days ago
Quoted from wesman:

Cliffy is trying to deal with the fires, smoke, smog, and lingering effects from those in the California area. Not sure when he'll be back at work again.

Trust me Cliff is all good....there is no fires, smoke or smog.....never was in his area...

#2726 4 days ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Trust me Cliff is all good....there is no fires, smoke or smog.....never was in his area...

I meant more indirectly, power issues and such.

And that entire state seems like it's ablaze one week, one year or another, these past five years. I'm concerned the whole place will turn to tinder...

#2727 3 days ago
Quoted from wesman:

I meant more indirectly, power issues and such.
And that entire state seems like it's ablaze one week, one year or another, these past five years. I'm concerned the whole place will turn to tinder...

The inner Bay Area wasn't really affected

#2728 3 days ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

The inner Bay Area wasn't really affected

I think he had some power fluctuations.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 74.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Flagstaff, AZ
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
There are 2728 posts in this topic. You are on page 55 of 55.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside