(Topic ID: 242867)

PoTC - Who has playfield cracking & wear around sling posts?

By harryhoudini

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,006 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinDeadHead
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What kind of issues are you seeing?”

• I have visible dimples but no chipping 47 votes
    22%
  • I can see chipping but haven't done anything yet 69 votes
    32%
  • I can see chipping and installed mylar, washer and/or larger star post 33 votes
    15%
  • My playfield looks fine (but I haven't removed the star posts) 33 votes
    15%
  • I removed the star posts and my playfield looks fine 16 votes
    7%
  • My game had clear washers installed from the factory 16 votes
    7%

(Multiple choice - 214 votes by 202 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8a08956226ce33ab4cbce84ac85256fac4d2c495 (resized).jpg
272de6fede9fee8a8547778ad012df344b85326e (resized).jpg
20200319_164738 (resized).jpg
AEF37959-C604-4A07-B193-2416A6A62929 (resized).jpeg
F10537D7-D970-4859-B5C9-CF482DF29BFA (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200320_103742 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200320_101453 (resized).jpg
917EEAC5-4AC1-4204-BDA8-5497FFCB4BAC (resized).jpeg
83458836-4863-4833-8D88-F5A9E65F9517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3627 (resized).jpeg
20200127_171934 (resized).jpg
Shocked.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
potc2_5234 (resized).jpg
3FC99A16-7187-44B6-811B-16DD827ABC65 (resized).jpeg
20200125_090027 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,006 posts in this topic. You are on page 54 of 61.
#2651 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

I've been using a pant steam press with good effect. It's got a much larger surface area, lower heat and it's gentle with the steam. You have to strip the entire playfield down first, granted. And it needs to dry for a good several days after you are done but boy does it take the wrinkles out.

Steam and wood does not sound like a good idea.

#2652 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Stand down. Do NOT start obsessing and ironing your playfield. This is not a thing you need to worry about.
Trust me, for your own good.

LOL

#2653 4 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

Steam and wood does not sound like a good idea.

My sauna begs to differ.

#2654 4 years ago

My sauna begs to differ.

Your sauna also isnt make of partially clearcoated plywood and also probably has some type of hydrophobic sealant.

#2655 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

Your sauna also isnt make of partially clearcoated plywood and also probably has some type of hydrophobic sealant.

It's made of playfields.

#2656 4 years ago

It's made of playfields.

This post is beautiful in every way.

#2657 4 years ago

Ah screw it, I disputed the transaction. After looking at the dates, the interactions I've had with Jack and his ignoring of my subsequent contacts I'm done. JJP still doesn't get it and barely stepped up like we all gave them credit for.

#2658 4 years ago

I disputed the transaction.

Which transaction?

#2659 4 years ago

Ah screw it, I disputed the transaction. After looking at the dates, the interactions I've had with Jack and his ignoring of my subsequent contacts I'm done. JJP still doesn't get it and barely stepped up like we all gave them credit for.

I look forward to seeing how this plays out.

#2660 4 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Which transaction?

The credit card charge for my replacement playfield. Before Jack started calling people to tell them they were getting a refund/getting a free playfield I paid for one for fear I would have no other option. Subsequently, I have no received a call, no replies to my emails. It's been 2 months I think since I paid for it and more than a month since the first posts here that Jack personally called people.

Furthermore, Jack told me personally on the phone many, many months ago that he would work on a solution for everyone and would treat everyone the same (he had to give the same "deal" to everyone). So either he forgot my number, lost my emails or doesn't want to talk to me or give me a refund.

#2661 4 years ago

The credit card charge for my replacement playfield.

So you are going to return the replacement playfield?

#2662 4 years ago

The credit card charge for my replacement playfield. Before Jack started calling people to tell them they were getting a refund/getting a free playfield I paid for one for fear I would have no other option. Subsequently, I have no received a call, no replies to my emails. It's been 2 months I think since I paid for it and more than a month since the first posts here that Jack personally called people.
Furthermore, Jack told me personally on the phone many, many months ago that he would work on a solution for everyone and would treat everyone the same (he had to give the same "deal" to everyone). So either he forgot my number, lost my emails or doesn't want to talk to me or give me a refund.

The credit card company will request proof that you returned the play field.

#2663 4 years ago

I don't need to return it. Jack told the folks who posted here that JJP is providing free playfields to those who have cracks/chips and that those who paid would get refunded. I didn't tell the CC company I returned it.

Are you all new to this thread?

#2664 4 years ago

I don't need to return it. Jack told the folks who posted here that JJP is providing free playfields to those who have cracks/chips and that those who paid would get refunded. I didn't tell the CC company I returned it.
Are you all new to this thread?

I’m not new, but I’m wondering if the CC company will require that you return the playfield or whether they will ask you to prove what Jack told the other folks whose machines suffer from the playfield issues.

#2665 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

I’m not new, but I’m wondering if the CC company will require that you return the playfield or whether they will ask you to prove what Jack told the other folks whose machines suffer from the playfield issues.

Probably nothing. It's insignificant enough they likely won't contact me or just write a statement. That's my guess.

#2666 4 years ago

Wow what cc do you have. I have been requested to provide proof that I sent back a $50 item before receiving chargeback meanwhile your doing a $550 chargeback and don’t expect them to ask questions

#2667 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

Wow what cc do you have. I have been requested to provide proof that I sent back a $50 item before receiving chargeback meanwhile your doing a $550 chargeback and don’t expect them to ask questions

This one is a Citi Costco card. I put a lot of money through it and rarely dispute. Not sure if that means anything but each time they seem to credit me right away and then follow-up later if they want detail. Most often they do not.

#2668 4 years ago

Just leave the PF in a hot car in the summer time. That will cure the clear. I have done it before. You will get a good buzz when you drive for a while.

#2669 4 years ago

Here's my shocked face *sarcasm*
I suspect after this goes through and you win (which you will), you'll be red flagged. Your support tickets will start going unanswered.

#2670 4 years ago

He's already red flagged that's why he had to dispute the charges.

#2671 4 years ago

Good luck harryhoudini. Crazy that you have to take the step of disputing the charge but clearly JJP treats some of their customers a bit differently.

#2672 4 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

He's already red flagged that's why he had to dispute the charges.

Being "red flagged" at JJP had better not be a thing. That would be a serious PR nightmare if the public ever learned about such retaliation.

-wonka owner #08742206, play field #105, clear coat case #5107

#2673 4 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Being "red flagged" at JJP had better not be a thing. That would be a serious PR nightmare if the public ever learned about such retaliation.

All companies eventually ignore their worst customers. Some customers just aren't worth the hassle.

#2674 4 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Check this post out from someone who did the unthinkable and asked a question.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wonka-le-sling-post-chipping-/page/21#post-5172763

#2675 4 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

All companies eventually ignore their worst customers. Some customers just aren't worth the hassle.

While that can be true sometimes I don’t think it’s the case here. This is more about the issue than the customer, and I think JJP has handled this issue pretty poorly for all customers. And I think they’ve ignored Harry on this because his voice was very prominent (I think even primary) in bringing the whole playfield issue to everyone’s attention. And I don’t care if he wasn’t the first owner of the machine, the product was originally shipped with a defect so they should address it for any current owner.

I think everyone who had an issue with chipping and pooling and everyone in the future who hopefully won’t have an issue because of recent changes made to the clear coat process owes a thank you to Harry, myself included. Without the issue being pressed by customers like Harry I don’t think it would have been addressed anywhere near as quickly by manufacturers, if at all.

#2676 4 years ago

Is there a way to directly email or contact Mr Jack form JJP?

#2677 4 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Is there a way to directly email or contact Mr Jack form JJP?

Jack Guarnieri <[email protected]>
(732) 433-4333

#2678 4 years ago

Ill just give JJP the benefit of the doubt and understand they are probably just busy and short staffed. I found a replacement monitor, but want them to tell me if it will work, i dont care if they wont send me a replacement or fix the current one I have, just some communication would be nice.

#2679 4 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Ill just give JJP the benefit of the doubt and understand they are probably just busy and short staffed. I found a replacement monitor, but want them to tell me if it will work, i dont care if they wont send me a replacement or fix the current one I have, just some communication would be nice.

It seems like if the communication may make them money (potential sale), you’ll get someone on the phone immediately.

If the communication may cost them money, it’s crickets.

#2680 4 years ago

Do you guys think JJP is in trouble or something? Like maybe financially can't keep it up?

#2681 4 years ago

I don't think I'm "flagged" per say, although that was a fear I had for sure. I've ordered parts since this has started, I don't *think* JJP is that malicious. I do think that Jack has ill thoughts towards me either because I spoke up and riled the crowd or because I'm not the original owner. But as EaglePin has eloquently stated it should not matter. Maybe it's just an oversight, but I think he would know my name by now. I would have thought I would be one of the first ones he would have called, I would have been so happy to post that JJP did the right thing.

I've typed this many times now; the long and short is that no one that has a playfield issue is covered under warranty unless they registered the new game within 5 days AND it is still within 30 days of your delivery (AND you are the first owner). Otherwise, no one has a warranty except on electronics (for 1 year if the game isn't routed). So, for most of us there is no warranty to cover the playfield and this entire playfield issue isn't related at all to the limited warranty at this point.

I was told on the phone by Jack that he would treat all customers the same in regard to any recompense or solution that was provided, he was very clear that he couldn't do anything special for one customer over another. I wasn't asking for this, of course, but he made sure to tell me such. Since JJP hasn't released any statement I know of in this regard I can only go based on what others have posted. Since Jack hasn't responded to me and Frank is no longer with the company I'm not sure who I would ask but since no one is handling it I disputed it based on that information. If the other people lied, which I have no reason to believe, and no one is getting a free playfield then this isn't over. If it's true (again, which I believe) then everyone who has chipping (which seems to be the line that is drawn in the sand) should be getting a free playfield or refunded for the one they purchased (at a discount or not). That's what Jack said, that's what is fair and the dispute was the next step.

Never got a response from any of the certified letters that were sent, btw.

#2682 4 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Do you guys think JJP is in trouble or something? Like maybe financially can't keep it up?

No indications of this, don't think we should try to speculate necessarily. It's not unheard of for JJP to drop the ball on customers. I can't count how many times I read of someone not getting a response only for the reply (from JJP folks or just pinsiders) to them to suggest they need to figure out another way to contact JJP. Like, if they have a support form then that should be the only contact necessary.

I'm going to guess, based on my own experience as a business owner, that they are short staffed and have tight budgets to deal with. Frank, head of support, recently left and there is nothing to indicate he was replaced. Sales are going to be most important which is tied to new game launches and development. Extended support does nothing but provide good will for them, I doubt they make much on parts after the time and labor to stock, inventory, process orders, ship, etc. Hopefully they retain a customer by taking care of their issues. Creating POTC v1.0 puts $0 in their pockets. Same as taking care of playfield issues. Only when it affects new game sales would it likely be a concern to JJP, which was the point of this thread in the long run. If pinball media start covering the issues (which did happen, it seems) then buyers may be concerned and orders cancelled (I cancelled my Wonka, phew) which will then affect bottom line. But if games are selling out (no idea) then why bother trying to keep up the reputation?

All that being said, who here doesn't want JJP to exist anymore? I want more JJP games. That doesn't mean I want to eat it on a borked playfield where in any other industry I'd expect a manufacturer to create a quality product inline with the function it serves for a reasonable amount of time before going tits up. Playfield life is not a finite number of years but clearly new games should not have chipping within a year. Any reasonable person would agree that the quality of the playfields that have wood showing, clear flaking off and art removed is lacking and should be replaced by the manufacturer. No other industry I know of would have a manufacturing flaw and then charge customers for replacement parts within a year of selling the product. I don't think JJP has any sort of blatant legal responsibility based on their warranty or quality claims (no one states a playfield should last X years before chipping) but I would also think any judge or jury would agree that the minimum response would be replacement playfields. If I had to get a replacement seat for my new car because the stitching was coming undone they wouldn't sell it to me for half retail and expect me to install it.

But this is a small, unique industry with mostly fanatics as the customers so it's in our best interest to support the manufacturers. That doesn't mean accepting sub par quality and manufacturing at additional expense to the retail price. It should be a two way street. We support JJP with game purchases, parts, swag, spreading the word... and they support the industry with quality products and customer service to back that up.

#2683 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

It seems like if the communication may make them money (potential sale), you’ll get someone on the phone immediately.
If the communication may cost them money, it’s crickets.

Not really. I’ve been trying to buy a significant replacement part for close to a month and can’t get a quote to place the order despite numerous phone calls and emails. Their technical (parts) support seems to be overwhelmed due to short staffing or other issues. It’s very frustrating.

#2684 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

Not really. I’ve been trying to buy a significant replacement part for close to a month and can’t get a quote to place the order despite numerous phone calls and emails. Their technical (parts) support seems to be overwhelmed due to short staffing or other issues. It’s very frustrating.

Did you email Shannan? She has been responsive to me, always.

#2685 4 years ago

Did you email Shannan? She has been responsive to me, always.

She’s great for placing orders but I need Steve to give her the part information and quote first.

#2686 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

She’s great for placing orders but I need Steve to give her the part information and quote first.

Ah doh. Do you need part numbers? I've gotten pretty good at finding stuff in the manual. Not everything is in there, granted, but maybe we can help?

#2687 4 years ago

Fwiw, my support ticket from 28 days ago has gone unanswered other than the auto reply.

I have a CE that I will keep indefinitely... i just hope I can have a playfield that is issue free, rather than what I have now that is covered up with temporary measures to keep the problems hidden.

#2688 4 years ago

Ah doh. Do you need part numbers? I've gotten pretty good at finding stuff in the manual. Not everything is in there, granted, but maybe we can help?

No. I know my way around the manual. It’s a partial assembly so tech service needs to define and put together a quote. No need to go into detail. Was just sharing my concern and frustration with the change in JJP support that has historically been a strength in my experience. Thanks anyway.

#2689 4 years ago
Quoted from Genjuro:

Fwiw, my support ticket from 28 days ago has gone unanswered other than the auto reply.
I have a CE that I will keep indefinitely... i just hope I can have a playfield that is issue free, rather than what I have now that is covered up with temporary measures to keep the problems hidden.

This thread is not instilling much confidence.

#2690 4 years ago

I finally got an email conversation going with one of the fellas over JJP. My game is fairly defect free...for now. I noticed some mushrooming around a couple posts, mostly the tortuga. Every potential problem area has been covered by a cliffy or the washer fix, so I couldn't send them pics without removing those things, which I didn't feel like doing. I just wanted them to be aware of a potential issue and what my recourse would be if I had major issues down the road.
I was told that if something should happen in the future, they could send me a playfield. So, how long will they have playfields in inventory? Months/years?...

#2691 4 years ago

I wonder if mr Jack is well ? Maybe there is some health issue going on . Hope he’s ok

#2692 4 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I wonder if mr Jack is well ? Maybe there is some health issue going on . Hope he’s ok

He was at expo walking around the show and spoke at his seminar. I’m sure he’s a pretty busy guy.

#2693 4 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Regardless of these two things possibly being true that’s no excuse for ignoring customers with a defective product.

#2694 4 years ago
Quoted from Tyamry:

I have a CE that I received on April 2, 2019 that has the
washers already installed.[quoted image][quoted image]

Have you happened to look under them? They are metal, yea?

If the playfield is soft then the meal washers could likely dig in. Would be interested to know if they are or if there are any other locations (narrow metal posts, other narrow plastic posts) where you have dimpling or buildup of clear?

#2695 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

He was at expo walking around the show and spoke at his seminar. I’m sure he’s a pretty busy guy.

Ah yeah, that reminded me. Did anyone see this?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wwcf-club-wonka-golden-tickets-inside/page/60#post-5267406

#2696 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I was told that if something should happen in the future, they could send me a playfield. So, how long will they have playfields in inventory? Months/years?...

I am curious if they are going to have the same policy regarding CE playfields considering the limited number.

#2697 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

This is awesome to hear!

Given the current state of technology, so long as JJP is around, I imagine they can print a playfield on demand if necessary.

#2698 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

This is awesome to hear!
Given the current state of technology, so long as JJP is around, I imagine they can print a playfield on demand if necessary.

I think he's saying quite the opposite, that it's doubtful or anxiety inducing how long they might have playfields for, currently or down the road.

Mirco does playfields for JJP currently, aaaaallllll the way over in Germany.

#2699 4 years ago

Ok so I tested the hair dryer method on one sling post on my Wonka and it worked pretty well actually. You could see a line where the clear coat had bunched up but it went smooth again. Big improvement. This gives me hope all my bunched posts on my POTC can be saved before they chip. So far I have one chip on the playfield I can’t hide. I’m thinking of using the hair dryer and some neoprene washers. Once the bunched up clearcoat is smoothed much less likely to chip. I am very curious how many other people have tried that method and how successful it has been. Please post your results.

#2700 4 years ago

Anyone get the free replacement PF yet?

Jack told me on the phone back on 9/5 it would be a few weeks.

We are now coming up on 2 months, nothing but crickets!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

24,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 38.00
$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Wanted
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,006 posts in this topic. You are on page 54 of 61.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-who-has-playfield-dimples-cracking-wear-around-star-posts-/page/54?hl=oneangrymo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.