(Topic ID: 242867)

PoTC - Who has playfield cracking & wear around sling posts?

By harryhoudini

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,006 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinDeadHead
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What kind of issues are you seeing?”

• I have visible dimples but no chipping 47 votes
    22%
  • I can see chipping but haven't done anything yet 69 votes
    32%
  • I can see chipping and installed mylar, washer and/or larger star post 33 votes
    15%
  • My playfield looks fine (but I haven't removed the star posts) 33 votes
    15%
  • I removed the star posts and my playfield looks fine 16 votes
    7%
  • My game had clear washers installed from the factory 16 votes
    7%

(Multiple choice - 214 votes by 202 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8a08956226ce33ab4cbce84ac85256fac4d2c495 (resized).jpg
272de6fede9fee8a8547778ad012df344b85326e (resized).jpg
20200319_164738 (resized).jpg
AEF37959-C604-4A07-B193-2416A6A62929 (resized).jpeg
F10537D7-D970-4859-B5C9-CF482DF29BFA (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200320_103742 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200320_101453 (resized).jpg
917EEAC5-4AC1-4204-BDA8-5497FFCB4BAC (resized).jpeg
83458836-4863-4833-8D88-F5A9E65F9517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3627 (resized).jpeg
20200127_171934 (resized).jpg
Shocked.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
potc2_5234 (resized).jpg
3FC99A16-7187-44B6-811B-16DD827ABC65 (resized).jpeg
20200125_090027 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,006 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 61.
#2601 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Amazon don't know nothing about that.
The D scale seemed to coincide with hard plastics which sound very similar to clear coat.. guess we'll see.

They start at about $600.

#2602 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

They start at about $600.

Yeah, the one I got didn't provide much. There were slightly different readings across all playfields I have but nothing that really indicated anything helpful. Cool to see how those things work but yea, nothing to see here.

#2603 4 years ago

I found chipping on my playfield last night. The fork was too spread apart and made a little chip on both sides. I should have checked that earlier. Easy fix. Anyone think this qualifies? Or should I care?

#2604 4 years ago

paynemic mine has that also... I just dabbed some superglue in the open chip... this is not a long term solution, but helps it spreading more. Also I need to bend the fork arms.

#2605 4 years ago

Guys... anyone here get a refund at all?

Seems like this is losing traction after promises were made.

#2606 4 years ago

Guys... anyone here get a refund at all?
Seems like this is losing traction after promises were made.

Good luck with that. You've likely pissed off Jack and when he's mad you get "jack shit". I filed a charge back on a crap playfield (same clear issues PLUS way more f-ed up) well before you started this and he asked me to ship it back which I did. Ive never beaten anyone out of a nickle and I'm sure as hell not going to start now. I asked him to refund my $80 shipping if he found exactly what I reported. As you can guess....radio silence and no refund. That's been about 6 months ago. If I can't get $80 you sure as hell aren't getting $500 plus. Congrats, you just learned about the "martyr tax".

#2607 4 years ago

Heh, I'm not going to just let it go. I just wanted to gather some data, to know if ANYONE is getting results from this. Sounds like lip service at this point, which was already my experience on the phone with Jack. I'll start with emails and calls and if that doesn't work then I'll be contesting my credit card charge, among other things. I feel like the investors probably don't want to start getting calls from pinball owners.

#2608 4 years ago

My god, been away too long. My CE has issues but reading back a few pages has me worried that there isnt going to be any help.

#2609 4 years ago
Quoted from Genjuro:

My god, been away too long. My CE has issues but reading back a few pages has me worried that there isnt going to be any help.

Did you contact JJP? Free playfields have been sent out, it seems.

#2610 4 years ago

I will be tomorrow!

#2611 4 years ago

Heh, I'm not going to just let it go. I just wanted to gather some data, to know if ANYONE is getting results from this. Sounds like lip service at this point, which was already my experience on the phone with Jack. I'll start with emails and calls and if that doesn't work then I'll be contesting my credit card charge, among other things. I feel like the investors probably don't want to start getting calls from pinball owners.

FYI - "Most" companies have a 30 day from the purchase date to file a charge back. After that you're SOL.

#2612 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

FYI - "Most" companies have a 30 day from the purchase date to file a charge back. After that you're SOL.

Thanks, I don't know what mine is but it's longer than that I know from experience. I'll confirm.

#2613 4 years ago

I received a sales order adjustment from Aileen Rentas 2 days ago and checked my checking account today and found a $550.00 credit from JJP. I received the phone call from Jack on Sept 5th. Took 20 days for it to reach my account if my math is correct. I didn't get refunded for the T-nuts, Mylar or the small wire forms that press into the playfield though I am happy to get refunded for the play field. Just waiting on my order of Cliff's and finishing my 2 homemade rotisseries to begin the swap. I wouldn't think it would be long until you get your refunds also.

#2614 4 years ago

I received my merchant credit for the playfield today, so I'm sure they are coming!

#2615 4 years ago

Awesome! Glad to hear this.

#2616 4 years ago

I recently got a refund for my Playfield, minus shipping and the t-nut and Mylar kit, but hey I’ll take anything they will give me. I’m thankful.

#2617 4 years ago

Any word on when the replacement PF’s are supposed to start shipping for those of us who got the call from Jack?

#2618 4 years ago
Quoted from winsoreric:

Just waiting on my order of Cliff's and finishing my 2 homemade rotisseries to begin the swap.

I can’t wait to hear how the pf swap goes for you. I was curious when we would start seeing the first attempts. It’s likely just as much work, but do you plan on starting a dedicated thread or documenting the swap at all? I’m sure there a lot of POTC owners who would be interested in watching/learning the process.

#2619 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Any word on when the replacement PF’s are supposed to start shipping for those of us who got the call from Jack?

My distributor said it would be about a month and that was early September...so I would think (hopefully) any day now. I’m very curious if this new batch of playfields were made using whatever “fix” they found. I’m fine to wait longer if it means the new one is truly fixed.

#2620 4 years ago
Quoted from Galooch:

My distributor said it would be about a month and that was early September...so I would think (hopefully) any day now. I’m very curious if this new batch of playfields were made using whatever “fix” they found. I’m fine to wait longer if it means the new one is truly fixed.

Jack told me the few week wait was due to the new PF’s not being available yet so I’m going to guess that means the issue has been corrected.

#2621 4 years ago

I opened a ticket for my playfield issues and have recieved zero response. I opened a ticket for an unrelated issue since then and got a near immediate response.

#2622 4 years ago
Quoted from Galooch:

These are coming from overseas and they're not flying them over, so you do the math. At least 2 weeks for production and at least 2 more for a container ship. I'd say late October at the EARLIEST is when we'll see something. Keep in mind they probably needed to re-tool and/or reprint and re-clear all of the CE playfields too. They're not going to send over replacement SE and LE fields without correct replacement CE fields in the same container.

Quoted from Psw757:

Jack told me the few week wait was due to the new PF’s not being available yet so I’m going to guess that means the issue has been corrected.

Time will tell. I sincerely hope they installed something on a test piece to check for blistering over these last few weeks.

Quoted from jarozi:

I opened a ticket for my playfield issues and have recieved zero response. I opened a ticket for an unrelated issue since then and got a near immediate response.

Did you get an auto-reply when you opened your ticket with a case number? If so, call them and reference your case number.

-wonka owner #08742206, play field #105, clear coat case #5107

#2623 4 years ago
Quoted from jarozi:

Same.

#2624 4 years ago

To those of you that are getting replacement playfields shipped, were your existing ones chipping or just pooling?

#2625 4 years ago

Good on you, JJP! Sounds like these refunds are rolling in.

Way to make it right!

#2626 4 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

To those of you that are getting replacement playfields shipped, were your existing ones chipping or just pooling?

I haven't gotten a call from Jack so I don't know from the horse's mouth but the word was that the "deal" for $550 was for chipping or cracked playfields only. I would assume that this holds true for the free ones as well.

Guess I'm gonna have to call Jack to see what is up with my payment before I go contesting it. I figured I would have gotten a call or email by now.

#2627 4 years ago

I haven't gotten a call from Jack so I don't know from the horse's mouth but the word was that the "deal" for $550 was for chipping or cracked playfields only. I would assume that this holds true for the free ones as well.
Guess I'm gonna have to call Jack to see what is up with my payment before I go contesting it. I figured I would have gotten a call or email by now.

Did JJP ever state that this offer was only being extended to the original owner of the machine?

#2628 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Did JJP ever state that this offer was only being extended to the original owner of the machine?

It's past the time at night where I can remember everything, but I don't know if there ever was an actual announcement or if every report is just people posting about Jack calling them. In other words, not sure they ever have said anything official or publicly. Maybe someone remembers better than I.

1 week later
#2629 4 years ago

Hey guys,

I really don't want to go through the 700+ posts I missed on this.

So what's the latest?
How are Jurassic Park pins holding up so far?

#2630 4 years ago

The basics is that Jack called some people and told them they would get a refund for the playfields they purchased at a discount. I didn't get a call, I didn't get a refund. I recently emailed Jack, haven't heard back. I am not sure if anyone has actually gotten a "free" playfield (as in they didn't pay for the reduced cost one first). I'd love to know more about who got what, if anything, because JJP is so silent and quite on stuff like this it makes for some shroud of mystery and that's not good for consumers. It only benefits the company.

Wonka definitely seems to have similar issues. JP seems to have had some issues. I haven't followed along with those much, too busy.

Oh, and the playfield I got has had a star post installed for several weeks without any major dimpling or clear coat issues so it seems like either it was a new "batch" with a different process or something. Of course no idea because no information has been disseminated.

#2631 4 years ago

Hit it with a pinball 2000 times

#2632 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

It’s not the company rules that matter, it’s your bank’s. Many banks and/or credit card companies will allow a charge back well beyond 30 days if it involves a problem not known in the beginning.

#2633 4 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Hit it with a pinball 2000 times

I did tap it a few times with a screwdriver to see if I could make any appreciable dent. I think it's pretty clear (pun) that the clear is harder or more cured on this one.

#2634 4 years ago

I did tap it a few times with a screwdriver to see if I could make any appreciable dent. I think it's pretty clear (pun) that the clear is harder or more cured on this one.

Is your post tightened over paint?

#2635 4 years ago

Just noticed some pooling on mine, and I have the larger posts installed, so it’s occurred after those went in. Time to buy that iron I guess...

#2636 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Just noticed some pooling on mine, and I have the larger posts installed, so it’s occurred after those went in. Time to buy that iron I guess...

The iron is safe and easy. Does a pretty amazing job. Sooner the better to avoid chipping. Add Mylar rings and Titan silicone washers afterwards. How close have you looked at the other posts for pooling? If one is pooled, particularly around a replacement star post, then there is probably some level around most or all.

#2637 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

The iron is safe and easy. Does a pretty amazing job. Sooner the better to avoid chipping. Add Mylar rings and Titan silicone washers afterwards. How close have you looked at the other posts for pooling? If one is pooled, particularly around a replacement star post, then there is probably some level around most or all.

Iron?

#2639 4 years ago

Whats up with JJP tech support? I sent in two tickets no replies. Then I contacted one of the sales rep, who replied for a while then stopped all contact. Then I left a phone message no reply. My pinball tech said he had a horrible time fixing someone else's woz, took them a month with JJP tech support to get things straight. I never had any issues before.

#2640 4 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Whats up with JJP tech support? I sent in two tickets no replies. Then I contacted one of the sales rep, who replied for a while then stopped all contact. Then I left a phone message no reply. My pinball tech said he had a horrible time fixing someone else's woz, took them a month with JJP tech support to get things straight. I never had any issues before.

Who is your distributor?

#2641 4 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

They just lost one of their long time guys, and I'm sure with all the games they've got to be more efficient with their support. Steve is an awesome dude, but he can't get to everything. I believe he's the only guy on-site who is actually doing support. LTG is also helping out as usual, but he's not physically there.

#2642 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Who is your distributor?

I bought the machine open box from a shop about 1 hour from me. JJP even registered the machine for me earlier and sent me a new radcal as one of them on the machine I need help with had a large bubble in it.

#2643 4 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I bought the machine open box from a shop about 1 hour from me. JJP even registered the machine for me earlier and sent me a new radcal as one of them on the machine I need help with had a large bubble in it.

Maybe the shop you bought it from could light a fire under someone’s rear end at JJP for you?
Are they a JJP dealer?

#2644 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Maybe the shop you bought it from could light a fire under someone’s rear end at JJP for you?
Are they a JJP dealer?

I have no idea, hes a guy who has bought pins from me and I have bought from him in the past. He said it was brand new . My pinball tech is great, he said he will try contacting on my behalf, because he is going to help me with the part if JJP ever gets me a replacement or fixes my current part. My POTC CE has been dead in the water for > 3 weeks now

#2645 4 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I have no idea, hes a guy who has bought pins from me and I have bought from him in the past. He said it was brand new . My pinball tech is great, he said he will try contacting on my behalf, because he is going to help me with the part if JJP ever gets me a replacement or fixes my current part. My POTC CE has been dead in the water for > 3 weeks now

wow that sucks...doesnt shine a very positive light on JJP's customer support....have u tried sending a PM to Lloyd? He's always been very helpful

#2646 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

amazon.com link »

Fascinating.

#2647 4 years ago

Stand down. Do NOT start obsessing and ironing your playfield. This is not a thing you need to worry about.

Trust me, for your own good.

#2648 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Stand down. Do NOT start obsessing and ironing your playfield. This is not a thing you need to worry about.
Trust me, for your own good.

LOL. Yep, definitely needed to nip that in the bud. Could see what’s coming next from a mile away.

#2650 4 years ago

I've been using a pant steam press with good effect. It's got a much larger surface area, lower heat and it's gentle with the steam. You have to strip the entire playfield down first, granted. And it needs to dry for a good several days after you are done but boy does it take the wrinkles out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

29,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,006 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 61.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-who-has-playfield-dimples-cracking-wear-around-star-posts-/page/53?hl=joseph5185 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.