(Topic ID: 242867)

PoTC - Who has playfield cracking & wear around sling posts?

By harryhoudini

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,006 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinDeadHead
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What kind of issues are you seeing?”

• I have visible dimples but no chipping 47 votes
    22%
  • I can see chipping but haven't done anything yet 69 votes
    32%
  • I can see chipping and installed mylar, washer and/or larger star post 33 votes
    15%
  • My playfield looks fine (but I haven't removed the star posts) 33 votes
    15%
  • I removed the star posts and my playfield looks fine 16 votes
    7%
  • My game had clear washers installed from the factory 16 votes
    7%

(Multiple choice - 214 votes by 202 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8a08956226ce33ab4cbce84ac85256fac4d2c495 (resized).jpg
272de6fede9fee8a8547778ad012df344b85326e (resized).jpg
20200319_164738 (resized).jpg
AEF37959-C604-4A07-B193-2416A6A62929 (resized).jpeg
F10537D7-D970-4859-B5C9-CF482DF29BFA (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200320_103742 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200320_101453 (resized).jpg
917EEAC5-4AC1-4204-BDA8-5497FFCB4BAC (resized).jpeg
83458836-4863-4833-8D88-F5A9E65F9517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3627 (resized).jpeg
20200127_171934 (resized).jpg
Shocked.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
potc2_5234 (resized).jpg
3FC99A16-7187-44B6-811B-16DD827ABC65 (resized).jpeg
20200125_090027 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,006 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 61.
#2551 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Should be almost instant but it isn't. I've had a few rental transactions lately that required a credit card hold at the time of rental which would be released after the rental was over. Even though I know the release was done instantly the credit didn't show on my account for over a week due to processing time.
Banks move quickly on collecting funds and not so quickly on making funds available the other direction.

Yeah, I suppose there are some banks and processors who could delay that stuff. I do know that JJP charged me for the original playfield on 7/30 and refunded that money on 8/1, there was not much delay then. But I suppose it depends on how long ago some of those other transaction are and if their processor will let them refund those original transactions or if they have to issue a credit.

#2552 4 years ago

Curious;.. My Black Pearl has soft clear also. Fails the fingernail test just like the playfield. I wonder if there will be problems with chipping down the road on it? Any thoughts?
New Replacement main playfield shows a little of wood grain through the artwork, is this considered normal? Original chipping soft clean playfield has no wood grain showing through that I can see but lighting is not as good when I view it.

#2553 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

I don't buy it being heat related. People have reported games built in winter having the issue. Now maybe you could say they were all shipped from Germany in the summer on a boat, but then they would have sat in an air conditioned building for 3-6 months.

You haven't been inside too many factory/warehouse type buildings, have you? Almost none of them are air conditioned unless the manufacturing requires it. In fact, steel buildings can have an oven effect in the summer. JJP looks to be of masonry construction though, so that can help a lot. A 90 degree day outside a steel building can turn into a 100 degree day inside pretty quickly. A playfield sitting for months in summer heat and high humidity as we have here in the mid-atlantic could absolutely be an issue...as I suspected a few weeks ago. I do not see any AC in Jack's building.

Stern has some AC in their office area and presumably the lunch room area in the back of their plant, but that factory floor doesn't appear to have AC service.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#2554 4 years ago

I don't own a POC but following this thread to see how JJP handles this and will base a future JJP purchase on that.

Curious, what is JJP's retail price on a new PF - becuase if it were me, I would rather have a refund for that amount then a new PF that I am never going to swap. New PFs or even a refund would still not be acceptable to me - I would hold out for a PF swap with a populated PF at JJP's dime.

I always have desired a JJP pin, I looked at them as the premium product. After current issues with PF, and issues I read about in the Di thread - I am starting to change my mind.

#2555 4 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Curious, what is JJP's retail price on a new PF

$1100

(cost of $550)

-wonka owner #08742206, play field #105, clear coat case #5107

#2556 4 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

$1100
(cost of $550)

I would ask for an $1,100 refund on my machine instead of a new unpopulated PF that is going to sit in my basement and collect dust.

#2557 4 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I would ask for an $1,100 refund on my machine instead of a new unpopulated PF that is going to sit in my basement and collect dust.

The play fields are likely being supplied free of charge from Micro, and their cost is only a fraction of the $550. So I doubt JJP will offer a cash option.

#2558 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

their cost is only a fraction of the $550.

Incorrect.

#2559 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

The play fields are likely being supplied free of charge from Micro, and their cost is only a fraction of the $550. So I doubt JJP will offer a cash option.

of course they won't, was just stating what I would expect
A replacement PF is worthless to most people and will never get used.

#2560 4 years ago

Started installing some cliffy s and noticed that the post at the right side of tortuga scoop has a washer at the base that appears to make contact with the ball.

Anyone else have this issue or notice this?

I would think it could scuff the balls up over time like that t-nut issue.

#2561 4 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Incorrect.

whats incorrect?

#2562 4 years ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

Just to be sure, this is the right washer?[quoted image]

Thanks. Last- as for the sling power settings, is higher milliseconds in the software more powerful or less powerful?

#2563 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Started installing some cliffy s and noticed that the post at the right side of tortuga scoop has a washer at the base that appears to make contact with the ball.
Anyone else have this issue or notice this?
I would think it could scuff the balls up over time like that t-nut issue.

Yeah.... I think all of them have that, the slight overhang there.

#2564 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Yeah.... I think all of them have that, the slight overhang there.

Seems like a smaller washer might be prudent if you have a cliffy under it.

I never noticed it before but i checked and the ball definitely contacts the edge of washer, that can’t be good for the ball.

#2565 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Seems like a smaller washer might be prudent if you have a cliffy under it.
I never noticed it before but i checked and the ball definitely contacts the edge of washer, that can’t be good for the ball.

I've noticed this too, it probably will nick the ball like the t-nut -- so something should be done AND I have slight pooling around the bottom of the washer beneath the post (I've noticed this on some PoTC's)...so the blister will probably pop at some point.

I'm thinking maybe a small rubber washer would be better under that particular post.

Question: where can I purchase PoTC cliffys?

Thanks

#2566 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer67:

I've noticed this too, it probably will nick the ball like the t-nut -- so something should be done AND I have slight pooling around the bottom of the washer beneath the post (I've noticed this on some PoTC's)...so the blister will probably pop at some point.
I'm thinking maybe a small rubber washer would be better under that particular post.
Question: where can I purchase PoTC cliffys?
Thanks

http://www.passionforpinball.com/protectors.htm

#2567 4 years ago

It sticks over the edge of the cliffy, that was the point.
Unless the post can be installed without washer, didn’t think about that since the cliffy is now under it?

#2568 4 years ago

I was putting in my Cliffy's this past weekend. With only 38 plays total (bought NIB end of August) I thought I would get a jump on premature wear issues with these protectors.
But instead found plenty of clear coat pooling everywhere. This is the Tortuga hole. Several other areas were just as bad.

My Distributor - The Pinball Company - replied immediately back on SUNDAY night to my e-mail with my concerns. They fired off an e-mail to JJP that same night making an initial inquiry of "who is in charge of the playfield issues" and copied me in on the e-mail. This evening, TPC contacted me again asking if I had heard back from anyone at JJP- as they had not.
(I've got to say this is great customer service by TPC). I replied that I had not.

I'm really not too amped up about it right now. I put on the JJP provided star posts and washers they sent me
as I did the Cliffy install. I know JJP is working through this challenge, and really 3 days isn't that long. Fingers crossed though.
IMG_3883 (resized).JPGIMG_3883 (resized).JPGIMG_3893 (resized).JPGIMG_3893 (resized).JPG

#2569 4 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

I was putting in my Cliffy's this past weekend. With only 38 plays total (bought NIB end of August) I thought I would get a jump on premature wear issues with these protectors.
But instead found plenty of clear coat pooling everywhere. This is the Tortuga hole. Several other areas were just as bad.
My Distributor - The Pinball Company - replied immediately back on SUNDAY night to my e-mail with my concerns. They fired off an e-mail to JJP that same night making an initial inquiry of "who is in charge of the playfield issues" and copied me in on the e-mail. This evening, TPC contacted me again asking if I had heard back from anyone at JJP- as they had not.
(I've got to say this is great customer service by TPC). I replied that I had not.
I'm really not too amped up about it right now. I put on the JJP provided star posts and washers they sent me
as I did the Cliffy install. I know JJP is working through this challenge, and really 3 days isn't that long. Fingers crossed though.
[quoted image][quoted image]

The pooling sucks but honestly it could have been way worse based on the picture.

#2570 4 years ago

Play your game and have fun. Put the microscope away.

#2571 4 years ago

Do you have any chipping anywhere? I don't know what Jack's stance is on the replacement playfield situation is. Only for chipping? But it sure seems like with that kind of pooling that you'll eventually have chipping somewhere. You should really be due a playfield and they should really reply quicker.

On another note, no call from Jack.

#2572 4 years ago

Yeah I know been to Cliffy but they don't list Pirates. I'll send them a PM.

thanks

#2573 4 years ago

Thankfully it seems like pooling doesn't always lead to chipping. We've now seen some Stern games made years ago with similar pooling in non sling areas but no chipping. The primary area that has been chipping on Pirates is around sling posts due to the sharp edges of sling posts along with vibration from the sling kicker frequently firing that overtime leads to pooling and then chipping. However, I understand some Pirates games have chipping outside of the sling area. Playfield quality seems to vary game to game.

In the case of the above pic I would maybe put some mylar down over the area, reinstall the backplate and then never worry about it.

#2574 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer67:

Yeah I know been to Cliffy but they don't list Pirates. I'll send them a PM.
thanks

Yes they do....just click the What's New Link on left side and you'll find it

#2575 4 years ago

Mine had the same, but looked a little worse than yours, but once you put a Cliffy on you'll never see it, nor should it wear or chip.

#2576 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

... On another note, no call from Jack.

No call yet for me either. I double-checked my support ticket and it was the end of August. I am going to be patient and give them more time as it will take some effort to contact everyone if they are undertaking that endeavor.

#2577 4 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

No call yet for me either. I double-checked my support ticket and it was the end of August. I am going to be patient and give them more time as it will take some effort to contact everyone if they are undertaking that endeavor.

Shouldn't take that long since it's only a few machines, right?

#2578 4 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

The email chain I got a reply from was back in June. Not sure if that's an indicator at all, or more just the genesis of my tear claim.

#2579 4 years ago

When do you think I'll get a newsletter or update about anything JJP? Been waiting a year or more now, this is one of my latest signups.

My original email to Frank about the playfield issue was on 4/26. Last email from Jack was on 7/22.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#2580 4 years ago

When do you think I'll get a newsletter or update about anything JJP? Been waiting a year or more now, this is one of my latest signups.
My original email to Frank about the playfield issue was on 4/26. Last email from Jack was on 7/22.[quoted image]

You got farther than I did trying to join their group or mailing list. So I couldn’t tell you. Lol.

#2581 4 years ago
Quoted from VillaThrills:

You got farther than I did trying to join their group or mailing list. So I couldn’t tell you. Lol.

Well, that's just their "email newsletter" signup on the site.

I emailed Jen a long time ago to get in to the Google group and while she said she added me I could never access it.

#2582 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

These PF issues are a complete disgrace to pinball. It’s really unbelievable. Makes modern pins look more and more inferior to what we had in the 90’s. IMO the only thing modern pins now have over older pins is an LCD screen, better sound and deeper code. The modern pins are inferior in every other way and that should be unacceptable to those who pay these high prices. If a company doesn’t survive because of poor quality that they could easily improve on I could care less if they go under. That’s on them 100%.

Nah, I was an arcade bug in the 90's and almost always pins were either not working properly or completely shut down due to an issue. The PF thing sucks and I agree but other than that as far as I know (maybe there were issues with PF's) its still the same.

#2583 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Nah, I was an arcade bug in the 90's and almost always pins were either not working properly or completely shut down due to an issue. The PF thing sucks and I agree but other than that as far as I know (maybe there were issues with PF's) its still the same.

No. I was also in arcades in the 90s. It depended on the arcade on how quick the pins were fixed. At the ones I went to there would only be maybe one pin not working at a time. Most machines I ran into were very reliable in the 90s. I also owned some very reliable machines like AF back then. The playfield is the one part that really can’t be fixed if it has bad clear. That’s why it is the worst problem IMO. Manufacturers just cut to many corners and it looks like it is finally catching up to them. Time for them to reverse course and increase overall quality of their pins. Or lose many sales. That’s up to em.

#2584 4 years ago

Drive by posting.

1. No call from JJP, no credit on my card. Anyone get one?

2. Here is a pic of the playfield as of today, with my test post. The clear is definitely much harder. I cranked this post down to what I would consider tight but not ridiculous. Probably not more than 1/4 turn past snug. I think the visible indentation is not horrible but I didn't peek at any other games to compare. I am fairly sure my TOM, which has the playfield empty right now, does not have those kinds of rings. But, if it doesn't dimple and pool I'm ok with that. This has been about 2 weeks or so, I can't recall.

3. Does no one on this forum have a durometer? Looks like they can be had for around $30 on Amazon. I might just grab one to test various playfields I have, just for fun. I am surprised we haven't talked about this before.

#2585 4 years ago

Ah screw it, I ordered one. Can always return it, thanks Amazon!

#2586 4 years ago

Ah screw it, I ordered one. Can always return it, thanks Amazon!

I think vid1900 referred to his in one of the dimple threads using it to compare new and old playfields, but don't quote me.

#2587 4 years ago

Drive by posting.
2. Here is a pic of the playfield as of today, with my test post. The clear is definitely much harder. I cranked this post down to what I would consider tight but not ridiculous. Probably not more than 1/4 turn past snug. I think the visible indentation is not horrible but I didn't peek at any other games to compare. I am fairly sure my TOM, which has the playfield empty right now, does not have those kinds of rings. But, if it doesn't dimple and pool I'm ok with that. This has been about 2 weeks or so, I can't recall.
3. Does no one on this forum have a durometer? Looks like they can be had for around $30 on Amazon. I might just grab one to test various playfields I have, just for fun. I am surprised we haven't talked about this before.[quoted image]

That's completely acceptable marking on the pf. The really amazing part is I have seen really nicely done Mirco playfields before. He changed something along the way and it's absolutely for the worse. We should see the "new" results in the next JJP release.

#2588 4 years ago

Harry, Curious, have you attempted in an area with INK beneath the clear? Ink adhesion may be an underlying issue.

#2589 4 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

Harry, Curious, have you attempted in an area with INK beneath the clear? Ink adhesion may be an underlying issue.

I have not. I'll do it under the dauntless with a good narrow post.

#2590 4 years ago

Drive by posting.
3. Does no one on this forum have a durometer? Looks like they can be had for around $30 on Amazon. I might just grab one to test various playfields I have, just for fun. I am surprised we haven't talked about this before.[quoted image]

I would not trust a hardness tester that costs less than $10K. There's one (Instron) in one of our labs at the company I work for that was about $150K a dozen years ago.

For thirty bucks, go to Harbor Freight or use your finger nail.

#2591 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I would not trust a hardness tester that costs less than $10K. There's one (Instron) in one of our labs at the company I work for that was about $150K a dozen years ago.
For thirty bucks, go to Harbor Freight or use your finger nail.

For $30 I went to Amazon, what's the difference from Harbor Freight? Same crap, same people building it, different packaging.

I don't know what I'm trusting, it should at least give me some comparison of what it reads on each playfield I have, no? I mean, if it can consistently read the force/resistance of one surface to another then at least that gives something? I figure it's worth a try, see what it says. I don't care what the absolute value is, mostly just the difference from one playfield to the next.

#2592 4 years ago

I am thinking you want a janka hardness tester, not a durometer. Durometers are used for measuring the stiffness of rubber.

#2593 4 years ago

Besides the slings, are there any other posts that I should be concerned about? What about the posts on the BP?

#2594 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Besides the slings, are there any other posts that I should be concerned about? What about the posts on the BP?

I think for chipping the slings and I and E lane movable post holes are the areas of biggest concern.

When I had the BP off to install cliffys I got to look closely at some of the more obscure areas and nothing chipped but almost every post that comes in contact with the ball has some form of rippling around it.

#2595 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I am thinking you want a janka hardness tester, not a durometer. Durometers are used for measuring the stiffness of rubber.[quoted image]

Amazon don't know nothing about that.

The D scale seemed to coincide with hard plastics which sound very similar to clear coat.. guess we'll see.

#2596 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

I put double star posts and washers under the BP and in the chapter select area. Those were the worst of the rippling and slight chipping I was seeing.

#2597 4 years ago

I put double star posts and washers under the BP and in the chapter select area. Those were the worst of the rippling and slight chipping I was seeing.

Thanks! Do you have any concerns for the posts on the actual ship?

#2598 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Thanks! Do you have any concerns for the posts on the actual ship?

My BP playfield seems to be harder than the main PF so there was no rippling there really.

#2599 4 years ago

So, who's got a credit on their statement? Who's got a call?

I have neither.

#2600 4 years ago

I noticed my first chip today on my pirates. 32 days old, maybe 500 plays. Good thing Jack says new playfield on the way

IMG_20190923_190912 (resized).jpgIMG_20190923_190912 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
24,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

There are 3,006 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 61.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-who-has-playfield-dimples-cracking-wear-around-star-posts-/page/52?hl=dr-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.