(Topic ID: 242867)

PoTC - Who has playfield cracking & wear around sling posts?

By harryhoudini

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,006 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinDeadHead
  • Topic is favorited by 57 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What kind of issues are you seeing?”

• I have visible dimples but no chipping 47 votes
    22%
  • I can see chipping but haven't done anything yet 69 votes
    32%
  • I can see chipping and installed mylar, washer and/or larger star post 33 votes
    15%
  • My playfield looks fine (but I haven't removed the star posts) 33 votes
    15%
  • I removed the star posts and my playfield looks fine 16 votes
    7%
  • My game had clear washers installed from the factory 16 votes
    7%

(Multiple choice - 214 votes by 202 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8a08956226ce33ab4cbce84ac85256fac4d2c495 (resized).jpg
272de6fede9fee8a8547778ad012df344b85326e (resized).jpg
20200319_164738 (resized).jpg
AEF37959-C604-4A07-B193-2416A6A62929 (resized).jpeg
F10537D7-D970-4859-B5C9-CF482DF29BFA (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200320_103742 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200320_101453 (resized).jpg
917EEAC5-4AC1-4204-BDA8-5497FFCB4BAC (resized).jpeg
83458836-4863-4833-8D88-F5A9E65F9517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3627 (resized).jpeg
20200127_171934 (resized).jpg
Shocked.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
potc2_5234 (resized).jpg
3FC99A16-7187-44B6-811B-16DD827ABC65 (resized).jpeg
20200125_090027 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,006 posts in this topic. You are on page 51 of 61.
#2501 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

What on earth are you all doing? Why start these sort of stupid comments? You all want to start hitting someone now?

Ehhhh, they were the one that intimated there would be physical contact if someone said something to their face as opposed to behind a keyboard.

To be clear, I was mocking the challenge as a physical threat stemming from a pinball clear coat discussion which, I’m sure you’ll agree, is silly. If they didn’t intend it as a threat as you now apparently claim, I rescind my mockery. I think you’re mistaken. Carry on.

#2502 4 years ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

Why should he have to pay for a discounted playfield ONE month after purchase! Why are we entertaining this absolute rubbish response to a situation that should de rectified for free.

Quoted from JodyG:

In no uncertain terms, whoever he bought the game from should be getting it back at no cost to the buyer. If they refuse, start suing the bastards.

Uh guys, I was just asking for clarification. I was curious as to what he was denied.

I have this issue as well, and hope it's resolved soon for myself, as well as others.

#2503 4 years ago
Quoted from DougPiranha:

He said all that paid would get refunded.

There are many of us who haven’t paid for the $550 replacement yet that were offered it. With severe chipping that is.

#2504 4 years ago

I got a response to my washer kit request immediately. Haven't heard bunk from my my playfield is pooling email.

#2505 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

That would be a great step. Would be nice if they announced this kind of thing, especially for the good press

Everything in coin-op and pinball is done in a poorly lit back alley.

#2506 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Everything in coin-op and pinball is done in a poorly lit back alley.

I'm starting to see that now

#2507 4 years ago

I was surprised to have a message on my phone today from Jack as well.
I will give him a call back tomorrow and see what he has to say.
By the time I got the message they were closed for sure.
To be honest I thought it was a spam call, from New Brunswick it said. Lol.
I was thinking Canada when I looked at my phone.

#2508 4 years ago

It is something. Good on JJP to some degree, but it doesn't solve the problem of the future PF swap...which will cost a minimum of $1,000 and probably more.

What about those purchasers, like me, who have blisters under the slings but no chipping yet because we covered these with washers? I guess we play it until we get chipping, or are we stuck if the PF chips in a year or two, elsewhere, due to the faulty clearcoat?

#2509 4 years ago

Repopulate your own playfield lol. Buy a New truck and they say here sorry about your transmission install this new one yourself.

#2510 4 years ago

Jack called me and they are shipping a replacement from Mirco directly, to remain in the box from Germany. Mirco is allowing more cure time, and applying UV light to help with that process. He believes that the heat in New Jersey and Chicago(to correlate with Stern's issues) contributed to softer clear. This suggests that the responsibility is being placed more firmly on the vendor for playfields, which is appropriate. I'm not sure how the variable of heat will be addressed, but am confident they are on it. I'd buy from JJP in the future without hesitation with this being addressed. I just received another machine with a Mirco playfield from around 2015, which is perfect. JJPOTCLE is one of the best games I've ever owned, nearly 20 years into this hobby. Hope they make more!

#2511 4 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Jack called me and they are shipping a replacement from Mirco directly, to remain in the box from Germany. Mirco is allowing more cure time, and applying UV light to help with that process. He believes that the heat in New Jersey and Chicago(to correlate with Stern's issues) contributed to softer clear. This suggests that the responsibility is being placed more firmly on the vendor for playfields, which is appropriate. I'm not sure how the variable of heat will be addressed, but am confident they are on it. I'd buy from JJP in the future without hesitation with this being addressed. I just received another machine with a Mirco playfield from around 2015, which is perfect. JJPOTCLE is one of the best games I've ever owned, nearly 20 years into this hobby. Hope they make more!

I don't buy it being heat related. People have reported games built in winter having the issue. Now maybe you could say they were all shipped from Germany in the summer on a boat, but then they would have sat in an air conditioned building for 3-6 months. I suspect Jack can't be completely forthcoming about the details on what really happened and finally I don't care as long as it's fixed moving forward and these replacements are perfect.

Good on Jack and JJP for calling and offering this solution. It's not going to make everyone happy, but it is much better than nothing. Once I get enough money and Wonka owners are reporting no further issues, I'd love to own a Wonka.

#2512 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

I don't buy it being heat related. People have reported games built in winter having the issue. Now maybe you could say they were all shipped from Germany in the summer on a boat, but then they would have sat in an air conditioned building for 3-6 months. I suspect Jack can't be completely forthcoming about the details on what really happened and finally I don't care as long as it's fixed moving forward and these replacements are perfect.
Good on Jack and JJP for calling and offering this solution. It's not going to make everyone happy, but it is much better than nothing. Once I get enough money and Wonka owners are reporting no further issues, I'd love to own a Wonka.

I am like you. Waiting on the issue to go away before I purchase a WW.

#2513 4 years ago

The heat? LOL.

Classic.

Must be the global warming. Affecting pinball now too. Geesh.

#2514 4 years ago

The heat? LOL.
Classic.

If the clear hasn't cured, heat could slow down the process. Hopefully the UV makes a difference before they are shipped.

#2515 4 years ago

I talked with Jack today.
Playfield coming my way too, on his dime.

Looks like they are trying to help with the issue.
I told him it would sit in the box for now anyway.
I don't have the time or the patience to do a swap on POTC, right now.

#2516 4 years ago

Yep - same here, got the call from Jack.

Seemed sincere and chatted for about 15 minutes. Not planning on doing the swap anytime soon but it is nice to know if shit goes really downhill with the PF, I now have some insurance!

#2517 4 years ago
Quoted from dts:

If the clear hasn't cured, heat could slow down the process. Hopefully the UV makes a difference before they are shipped.

Doesn't heat speed up curing? Everything I've ever done with paint, epoxy, etc comes down to slower cure times when it is cold out. Sure seems like chemical reactions like this seem to speed up with heat. Don't they heat paint and clear in auto factories to help it cure faster? I use a heat gun to dry paint. I just am having trouble seeing how slight environmental changes (how much different could the temp be compared to other years) would make that kind of difference.

Of course, we know the clear/cure isn't/wasn't the only issue. For sure there was at least an issue with the posts with sharp edges. I also think it's probably not smart to only have two posts supported by the plastic.

I just can't fathom how from the time the playfields are printed and cleared to the time that JJP installs anything on them that they wouldn't have time to cure. It HAS to be at least a few months. Unless they are flying them over here (I would say that is somewhat unlikely) it has to take at least 2-3 weeks to even just ship them, let alone to produce the whole batch, to have them sit at the JJP factory and wait for install, etc. Maybe there was some rush to get them and get the game out the door, but unless there is some JIT (just in time) production schedule that amazingly gets playfields there right when they need them how did this carry over to Wonka then too?

This is getting so redundant and circular and it seems like Jack just tosses out fixes, causes, etc as he comes up with them or discusses them without time and thought put in to it. Like the post fix kit and not saying anything to owners who didn't get the washers under the posts, etc.

At least we seem to have gotten what we wanted in terms of a playfield replacement. That, I think, was the least we could have expected. Having a true cause and solution would be ideal. Knowing if the playfields we are getting (or got) as replacements are something different, or just needed more time to sit, would be important to know. Knowing why Wonka continued with these issues even after POTC was known to have issues should be explained as well. Confidence needs to be rebuilt with transparency.

#2518 4 years ago

Doesn't heat speed up curing? Everything I've ever done with paint, epoxy, etc comes down to slower cure times when it is cold out. Sure seems like chemical reactions like this seem to speed up with heat. Don't they heat paint and clear in auto factories to help it cure faster? I use a heat gun to dry paint. I just am having trouble seeing how slight environmental changes (how much different could the temp be compared to other years) would make that kind of difference.
Of course, we know the clear/cure isn't/wasn't the only issue. For sure there was at least an issue with the posts with sharp edges. I also think it's probably not smart to only have two posts supported by the plastic.
I just can't fathom how from the time the playfields are printed and cleared to the time that JJP installs anything on them that they wouldn't have time to cure. It HAS to be at least a few months. Unless they are flying them over here (I would say that is somewhat unlikely) it has to take at least 2-3 weeks to even just ship them, let alone to produce the whole batch, to have them sit at the JJP factory and wait for install, etc. Maybe there was some rush to get them and get the game out the door, but unless there is some JIT (just in time) production schedule that amazingly gets playfields there right when they need them how did this carry over to Wonka then too?
This is getting so redundant and circular and it seems like Jack just tosses out fixes, causes, etc as he comes up with them or discusses them without time and thought put in to it. Like the post fix kit and not saying anything to owners who didn't get the washers under the posts, etc.
At least we seem to have gotten what we wanted in terms of a playfield replacement. That, I think, was the least we could have expected. Having a true cause and solution would be ideal. Knowing if the playfields we are getting (or got) as replacements are something different, or just needed more time to sit, would be important to know. Knowing why Wonka continued with these issues even after POTC was known to have issues should be explained as well. Confidence needs to be rebuilt with transparency.

Beats me, but I'm gonna try my hairdryer to melt those clear bumps this weekend!

#2519 4 years ago

Did anyone get a credit for a playfield they purchased yet?

I haven't gotten a call or any credit, just wondering what the situation was there.

#2520 4 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Beats me, but I'm gonna try my hairdryer to melt those clear bumps this weekend!

Ooof... be careful. That's putting a wide area of heat. Did you see Yelobird post about using the little iron?

#2521 4 years ago

Did anyone get a credit for a playfield they purchased yet?
I haven't gotten a call or any credit, just wondering what the situation was there.

Yes...several

Quoted from Outlanes:

So some actual good news! I had the issue with the playfield as well and purchased the new one at cost like many have described.
Today I got a call from Jack, hes refunding me for the playfield cost. So my replacement playfield is free. Completely unsolicited call, just called me out of the blue.
Was nice for him to call, and I feel made whole. sure I'll have to do a playfield swap at some point. But this feels right.
Good on jjp. Thanks jack.

#2522 4 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

Yes...several

An actual credit, on your credit card statement/activity/trasnaction list. When they refunded my first playfield purchase (still for unknown reasons) I got an email from someone at JJP (obviously automated) whom I never heard of before (I think an accountant or bookkeeper) with my refund "notice". I am just wondering if anyone got something like that, saw a credit on their statement, etc. If JJP has actually processed any sort of credit yet. I just checked mine, wondering if they just bulk credited everyone.

#2523 4 years ago

Ooof... be careful. That's putting a wide area of heat. Did you see yelobird post about using the little iron?

Good point, I’ll look at that first. Geert used a heat gun as I recall but maybe Dave’s approach is safer.

#2524 4 years ago

UV inkjet production is cured with uv light as it lays down layers of ink. Over 15 years I leave the printed playfields to air out (cure further) until the smell of the ink is gone. Either on a rack or stacked close to each other with a spacer for air space. Never rush playfields for finish clear until the uv ink smell is gone! Picture below shows 2 Star Gazer with 2 coats of varethane for sealing, & 2 with 2 coats of varethane (special discount ones). Most production is inked & out for 2 coats of auto clear.
IMG_0028 (resized).JPGIMG_0028 (resized).JPG

#2525 4 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

UV inkjet production is cured with uv light as it lays down layers of ink. Over 15 years I leave the printed playfields to air out (cure further) until the smell of the ink is gone. Either on a rack or stacked close to each other with a spacer for air space. Never rush playfields for finish clear until the uv ink smell is gone! Picture below shows 2 Star Gazer with 2 coats of varethane for sealing, & 2 with 2 coats of varethane (special discount ones). Most production is inked & out for 2 coats of auto clear.
[quoted image]

Do you think the ink wasn't completely dry before the clear was applied in these playfields? Could it be a combination of that and clear that isn't cured?

#2526 4 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

[quoted image]

How long approximately do you usually have to let them sit?

#2527 4 years ago

Usually only 2 - 3 days when I pick them up from the printer. They were probably printed 1 - 3 days & on a rack. So 1 week is likely normal for no smell (off gasing). If Mirco is printing & clear coating right away that might be the problem. Also there can be many problems with clear coating. Like I have said many times 2 coats of water based varethane interior gloss before ink! CPR might be using a different sealer, & I do not know if 1 or 2 coats. Over the years I have never had ink issues to varethane. Never had a playfield pool for finish clear or ink separation from woodsealer. Had problems with finish auto clear at times, which was always blamed on me or the printer. Which was not our fault at all!

#2528 4 years ago

I'm going to post this comment in each thread I've posted about regarding POTC or JJP playfield issues.

I feel like anytime a company or individual is criticized for a lack of quality within their output, they should be equally commended when that output is adjusted.

I received an email from Jack before I headed out for work midday Thursday. I work second shift, and Friday had a voicemail left by him when I awoke, and called him back immediately.

Jack seemed earnest, gracious, and humbled in his offer of a new playfield to correct my issues with my POTC playfield tear and rippling. For me, this is the best I could hope for. I don't expect a fully populated playfield swap, or an outright machine exchange. What I am receiving is acknowledgment openly of the issues that have occured within this game, and done so by the company face of said product.

I respect this move. And it gives me greater confidence towards JJP then I had two months ago.

Jack as well, seemed confident these issues are being course corrected moving forward, and his overall tone was upbeat, wishing to make amends, and continue and improve customer relations. In my mind, for me and my situation, that has occurred.

That said, if it weren't for every single person being vocal on this issue, on this forum or via podcasts, whether supporting or accepting these issues, this outcome might not be happening. So I am thankful to all of you, as well as Jack and JJP, for helping make this lovely game "whole" again once more.

I also hope everyone affected by this issue is made whole again as well.

#2529 4 years ago

The heat? LOL.
Classic.

Must have been unseasonably hot in April when I picked mine up in Jersey.

#2530 4 years ago

Side question- the rubber post washers in the kit from Magical Productions- was/is this a specialty product, thinner than the ones from Lowe's? I was having sling escape issues with those, even on the double posts.

#2531 4 years ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

Side question- the rubber post washers in the kit from Magical Productions- was/is this a specialty product, thinner than the ones from Lowe's? I was having sling escape issues with those, even on the double posts.

Did you reduce their power?

#2532 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Did you reduce their power?

Yes, all the way down. Maybe I didn't adjust something else right or needed to? All I adjusted was the leaf switches since the distance went wider.

Right now I'm playing with the Gen 2 washers, but they created ripples as well, though maybe not as problematic as the naked posts which cut directly into the clear, as mine didnt chip.

I've got a fair amount of games on this now so maybe this is where it is and what it is with the original posts with the Gen2 washers and I should just leave well enough alone. Btw, by far this one is the most impacted in terms of rippling with the washers, as it will be on every PoTC with this kit.
IMG_20190909_073436 (resized).jpgIMG_20190909_073436 (resized).jpg

#2533 4 years ago

Yes, all the way down. Maybe I didn't adjust something else right or needed to? All I adjusted was the leaf switches since the distance went wider. Right now I'm playing with the Gen 2 washers, but they created ripples as well, though maybe not as problematic as the naked posts which cut directly into the clear.
[quoted image]

Hmm....there really wasn’t anything else to adjust.

I’ve had good luck with star posts with the neoprene washers from Lowe’s. 1 sling escape in roughly 600 games played since the change. No further sinking or digging and have removed once to look since switching.

Might just be luck of the draw with the posts, perhaps file them down a hair and measure with caliper to make sure they are all the same after filing.

#2534 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Hmm....there really wasn’t anything else to adjust.
I’ve had good luck with star posts with the neoprene washers from Lowe’s. 1 sling escape in roughly 600 games played since the change. No further sinking or digging and have removed once to look since switching.
Might just be luck of the draw with the posts, perhaps file them down a hair and measure with caliper to make sure they are all the same after filing.

Just to be sure, this is the right washer?

IMG_20190909_172403 (resized).jpgIMG_20190909_172403 (resized).jpg
#2535 4 years ago

Just to be sure, this is the right washer?[quoted image]

That looks like the correct one

#2536 4 years ago

Just to be sure, this is the right washer?[quoted image]

Yup!

#2537 4 years ago

Yeah, those are the thinner of all the ones I have tried.

Does someone remember LTG posting about changing the sling geometry? I think someone (maybe @zaphx) tried shimming the coil bracket to reduce the hammer travel and then I thought LTG said something about dropping a nut down the coil. Sounds "nutty" but that's what I recall. I can't find the post, but I was somewhat sure that is what he said. Either way, does anyone know how to reduce the travel of the arm? I haven't looked since I haven't had any escapes with any of the washers.

Another option is grinding down the star posts to reduce the position of the rungs.

#2538 4 years ago

Yeah, those are the thinner of all the ones I have tried.
Does someone remember ltg posting about changing the sling geometry? I think someone (maybe zaphx) tried shimming the coil bracket to reduce the hammer travel and then I thought LTG said something about dropping a nut down the coil. Sounds "nutty" but that's what I recall. I can't find the post, but I was somewhat sure that is what he said. Either way, does anyone know how to reduce the travel of the arm? I haven't looked since I haven't had any escapes with any of the washers.
Another option is grinding down the star posts to reduce the position of the rungs.

I remember LTG saying something also.

#2539 4 years ago

Im thinking they could solve this problem with more hardener and less clear. Now the issue of the ink coming off I have no idea.

#2540 4 years ago

Just remember when putting washers provided by JJP to be centered under the post. One of mine wasn't as you can see, but moved and now it's covered. Not happy about the chipping, but it's covered and should be fine.

IMG-4598 (resized).JPGIMG-4598 (resized).JPGIMG-4599 (resized).JPGIMG-4599 (resized).JPGIMG-4600 (resized).JPGIMG-4600 (resized).JPGIMG-4601 (resized).JPGIMG-4601 (resized).JPG
#2541 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

Just remember when putting washers provided by JJP to be centered under the post. One of mine wasn't as you can see, but moved and now it's covered. Not happy about the chipping, but it's covered and should be fine.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

UGH ly. Double star posts and rubber washers and never look back.

#2542 4 years ago

Yeah, get rid of those narrow posts.

#2543 4 years ago

Quoted from Lermods:

Yeah, get rid of those narrow posts.

For the lower slings?

I'm about to go deep into the game for the last time, to put neoprene under the chapter select slings, under the Pearl ramp, near the bumpers too. Is anyone using double stars there or just smaller neoprene and the existing posts?

I also might put neoprene under the I lane, as people seem to be having issues there also.

#2544 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

For the lower slings?
I'm about to go deep into the game for the last time, to put neoprene under the chapter select slings, under the Pearl ramp, near the bumpers too. Is anyone using double stars there or just smaller neoprene and the existing posts?
I also might put neoprene under the I lane, as people seem to be having issues there also.

I only put them on the slingshots posts, not on the rest of the game. If I see anything starting elsewhere, I'll do those too. My potc had no issues, I added the starposts and washer for precaution.

#2545 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

For the lower slings?

I put them on most of the narrow posts. Especially under the BP ramp and chapter select area. They were all showing similar signs of bubbling and dimpling that lead to the cracks on my slings. I didn't touch the narrow post under the dauntless nor any of the metal posts (aside from moving the outlane posts). They all have dimpling but I'm really not sure what the best fix is. I don't think a rubber washer will help because it won't be any wider than the indent that is there and will just put pressure to push that out further. Maybe ironing it down like Yelobird did would be prudent, I don't know. I probably put in 10 or so, I can look if you want to know specifically.

If there is no dimpling on your metal posts then maybe neoprene would help but I don't really see how. The area covered by the post doesn't change, the amount of force being put down doesn't really change, so not sure what that would be doing. If it were slightly bigger, that might be a help but not sure how much bigger you can go with a rubber and metal washer stack without affecting the ball.

#2546 4 years ago

Any credits show up on any credit card statements?

#2547 4 years ago

Any credits show up on any credit card statements?

Not yet on mine, but it can often take a week or two for it to show up from other retailers due to the credit card company processing time so I'm guessing this wouldn't be any different.

#2548 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Not yet on mine, but it can often take a week or two for it to show up from other retailers due to the credit card company processing time so I'm guessing this wouldn't be any different.

Please keep us posted.

#2549 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

In this day and age it should be almost instant. The days of "settlement" are pretty much behind us. Online you usually can see a transaction, even a pending auth, pretty instantly. But once submitted to the processor should absolutely take no more than 24 hours to show up in your online banking. I just think they haven't done anything yet.

Wonder if people are still getting calls.

#2550 4 years ago

In this day and age it should be almost instant. The days of "settlement" are pretty much behind us. Online you usually can see a transaction, even a pending auth, pretty instantly. But once submitted to the processor should absolutely take no more than 24 hours to show up in your online banking. I just think they haven't done anything yet.
Wonder if people are still getting calls.

Should be almost instant but it isn't. I've had a few rental transactions lately that required a credit card hold at the time of rental which would be released after the rental was over. Even though I know the release was done instantly the credit didn't show on my account for over a week due to processing time.
Banks move quickly on collecting funds and not so quickly on making funds available the other direction.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
There are 3,006 posts in this topic. You are on page 51 of 61.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-who-has-playfield-dimples-cracking-wear-around-star-posts-/page/51 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.