(Topic ID: 242867)

PoTC - Who has playfield cracking & wear around sling posts?

By harryhoudini

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,006 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinDeadHead
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What kind of issues are you seeing?”

• I have visible dimples but no chipping 47 votes
    22%
  • I can see chipping but haven't done anything yet 69 votes
    32%
  • I can see chipping and installed mylar, washer and/or larger star post 33 votes
    15%
  • My playfield looks fine (but I haven't removed the star posts) 33 votes
    15%
  • I removed the star posts and my playfield looks fine 16 votes
    7%
  • My game had clear washers installed from the factory 16 votes
    7%

(Multiple choice - 214 votes by 202 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8a08956226ce33ab4cbce84ac85256fac4d2c495 (resized).jpg
272de6fede9fee8a8547778ad012df344b85326e (resized).jpg
20200319_164738 (resized).jpg
AEF37959-C604-4A07-B193-2416A6A62929 (resized).jpeg
F10537D7-D970-4859-B5C9-CF482DF29BFA (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200320_103742 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200320_101453 (resized).jpg
917EEAC5-4AC1-4204-BDA8-5497FFCB4BAC (resized).jpeg
83458836-4863-4833-8D88-F5A9E65F9517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3627 (resized).jpeg
20200127_171934 (resized).jpg
Shocked.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
potc2_5234 (resized).jpg
3FC99A16-7187-44B6-811B-16DD827ABC65 (resized).jpeg
20200125_090027 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,006 posts in this topic. You are on page 50 of 61.
#2451 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

FACT - the clear is pulling up the ink

This one I would not list as a fact. The actual mechanic is unclear. Ink isn't adhering, and clear is soft and pooling, but to say that the clear is responsible for the ink separation is a stretch given the current knowledge. So that one I would scratch.

#2452 4 years ago
Quoted from VillaThrills:

LE 0488 original owner from a valid distributor
Properly registered first day of ownership
Less than 1 month old
Less than 500 plays on it
Case 3488
Jack himself denied the warranty claim
[quoted image][quoted image]

It takes a set of brass ones to deny that.
As wind of the types of claims that they are denying gets out, I wonder how much longer they’ll be around.

#2453 4 years ago

Less than 1 month old
Case 3488
Star post on now and now are chipping at the star posts even further out
Pisses me off every time I look at it[quoted image][quoted image]

Jack really should be embarrassed to show his face at future pinball events going forward. He is literally setting landmines that are likely going to one day come home to roost at a most inopportune time. I really sense JJP is in worse shape than we all suspect.

#2454 4 years ago

Mirco is posting about his cnc, & more classic production. Still silent on what his problems are. Bad robots, bad clear, who knows.

#2455 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

This one I would not list as a fact. The actual mechanic is unclear. Ink isn't adhering, and clear is soft and pooling, but to say that the clear is responsible for the ink separation is a stretch given the current knowledge. So that one I would scratch.

Ive owned a crap Mirco playfield for a FH. Had the exact same " issues" these new machines have. The ink isn't adhering because if it was it wouldnt come up with the clear pooling. Look at all the pictures of chipping. The ink is gone. Another thing to take notice is the clear apparently is staying down in non inked spots. To me my statement is accurate?

#2456 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Ive owned a crap Mirco playfield for a FH. Had the exact same " issues" these new machines have. The ink isn't adhering because if it was it wouldnt come up with the clear pooling. Look at all the pictures of chipping. The ink is gone. Another thing to take notice is the clear apparently is staying down in non inked spots. To me my statement is accurate?

No, you have connected two dots with no proof. If the ink isn't adhering it isn't adhering. If the clear is pooling it's pooling. You can GUESS that the clear is pulling the ink up, but you can't list it as a FACT. That's the point. Theories are theories. Facts require proof. You have no proof of the mechanics of how that separation happens (i.e. the clear is PULLING the ink up), just that it does.

That's all. It's just one point on your list. Let it go. It's not a fact.

#2457 4 years ago

Less than 1 month old
Case 3488

Thank you for saving me $15000! This is disgusting. I love me some WOZ, Hobbit and pirates but that’s an issue and should be solved guess I’m going to vote with my wallet

#2458 4 years ago

Less than 1 month old
Case 3488

Yeouch. Yeah that's not wrinkle and chipping.. that's full on separation of ink and clear from wood.

At least the local examples are only blistering and breaking very small chips. Those are monster

#2459 4 years ago

Le#78. Pooling around original posts at slings. Put star posts and rubber washers over. No signs of further ripple around that. Minor pooling around other posts (lanes)

#2460 4 years ago

Less than 1 month old
Case 3488

This is absolutely awful and unacceptable. I'm sorry to see this...

Did Jack deny the discounted playfield or something else?

#2461 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

No, you have connected two dots with no proof. If the ink isn't adhering it isn't adhering. If the clear is pooling it's pooling. You can GUESS that the clear is pulling the ink up, but you can't list it as a FACT. That's the point. Theories are theories. Facts require proof. You have no proof of the mechanics of how that separation happens (i.e. the clear is PULLING the ink up), just that it does.
That's all. It's just one point on your list. Let it go. It's not a fact.

Is the ink even applied to the wood?
What if the wood is prepared with some agent first and then the ink is attached?

Any way you slice it, the clear is obviously way to soft.

#2462 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Why should he have to pay for a discounted playfield ONE month after purchase! Why are we entertaining this absolute rubbish response to a situation that should de rectified for free.

#2463 4 years ago

It is not our fault that they have not used the correct product, let it cure long enough or whatever the reason might be but we’re treated like it’s our fault that they haven’t designed the product fit for standard use. Change the clear well you better be sure as shit it’s the same as what you’ve used before before throwing it on games. Change the posts same thing. Boardsets the list goes on. But no we just take it on the chin.

I do love these games but this is a problem and a problem that they’re not handling well at all. Here give us more money for something you’ve got to change yourself or pay someone $1000+ to change. These things cost as much as a small car! If the interior started falling apart after a months use on your new small car you’d get better service than this.

I’m voting with my wallet are you?

#2464 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

In no uncertain terms, whoever he bought the game from should be getting it back at no cost to the buyer. If they refuse, start suing the bastards.

#2465 4 years ago

Since we are all playing the picture game again, here are mine. Game #275 and case #4405. Original owner purchased from Pinball Star.
Clearly the art is coming off the wood, took a pic to show how it’s peeling like an onion.

And check out the defective posts with razor sharp edges they installed. In the picture with two, the left one is smoother and the right has a lip that is so sharp it would cut your finger tip.

I also have a small chip and the “I” lane movable post hole.

Nothing from JJP yet! Filed ticket in early May.
D10EDD6C-FDBD-4AB6-BB7C-20CB4B7D97D6 (resized).jpegD10EDD6C-FDBD-4AB6-BB7C-20CB4B7D97D6 (resized).jpeg25E55A4B-DE51-40B8-A317-FA2EDAC858B1 (resized).jpeg25E55A4B-DE51-40B8-A317-FA2EDAC858B1 (resized).jpegE36E6F1E-BDB7-45BA-8305-AE45A7AD8301 (resized).jpegE36E6F1E-BDB7-45BA-8305-AE45A7AD8301 (resized).jpeg0110EFB7-8FCB-4D5F-9824-2B0B30229810 (resized).jpeg0110EFB7-8FCB-4D5F-9824-2B0B30229810 (resized).jpegA25A44F0-9D45-4978-87D8-1D0F8BD8C149 (resized).jpegA25A44F0-9D45-4978-87D8-1D0F8BD8C149 (resized).jpeg

#2466 4 years ago

They better start taking care of these now or they won't have to worry about clearcoat in the future because they'll be out of business.

#2467 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

He is literally setting landmines

He or the investors?

#2468 4 years ago
Quoted from Nibbles:

He or the investors?

Jack personally denied the claim of someone in one of the 3 threads on this.

#2469 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

It wouldn’t surprise me because of money issues. With the ghosting fiasco stern could send full populated playfield to their customers.

JJP would go bankrupt if they did that on massive scale.

#2470 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Probably the guy who bought the game used that was on site

The Warranty is non transferrable so that person would need to buy a replacement

#2471 4 years ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

The Warranty is non transferrable so that person would need to buy a replacement

It was not the same person, please stop deflecting with lies. That's two in 10 minutes from you.

#2472 4 years ago

Nope, it’s the original owner of the game.

Questions regarding JJP’s solvency are certainly warranted at this point.

#2473 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

It was not the same person, please stop deflecting with lies. That's two in 10 minutes from you.

I said Probably you were very Vague, was not specific as to the person denied, if you supply the details I will check with JJP personally otherwise its a lie to you, try calling me a liar to my face, you hide behind a keyboard

#2474 4 years ago

I said Probably you were very Vague, was not specific as to the person denied, if you supply the details I will check with JJP personally otherwise its a lie to you, try calling me a liar to my face, you hide behind a keyboard

You’re not doing JJP any favors here.

#2475 4 years ago

try calling me a liar to my face, you hide behind a keyboard

I hear OneAngryMo has some business class miles to Melbourne

#2476 4 years ago

, try calling me a liar to my face, you hide behind a keyboard

You need to list the airport you want to meet at, check pinside fight club for pinball discussion fist fight rules. GLWS

#2477 4 years ago

I totally understand why your defending JJP as it impacts your bottom line, but what are your feelings on these cracked play fields? Clearly there are several examples of this happening, and it appears many have reported to JJP. Do you think JJP should replace? do you feel their doing the right thing? All your doing is calling BS on the issue.....whats your solution?

#2478 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Jack really should be embarrassed to show his face at future pinball events going forward. He is literally setting landmines that are likely going to one day come home to roost at a most inopportune time. I really sense JJP is in worse shape than we all suspect.

I mean they went from offering premier products for home collectors to all of the sudden halting production on potc and designing wonka to be appealing to operators. They are either forgot who their customer was or made a concerted effort to pull away from them. This should have been a red flag.

Then they came across as very defensive when people were questioning the half ass code. Snapping at people "what you see is what you get..." is an interesting approach. Red flag number 2.

Then games ship and people notice that quality drops and games are defective nib.

So, yeah i would say we shouldn't be shocked if they are in deep financial trouble. I don't have any inside knowledge. Just connecting the dots.

#2479 4 years ago

Less than 1 month old
Case 3488

That is absurd. How did you pay? If you used a credit card then I would absolutely call and see what options you have. If I were in the same boat and had exhausted all options via JJP and my distributor then I would call and file a claim with my CC.

#2480 4 years ago
Quoted from atrainn:

That is absurd. How did you pay? If you used a credit card then I would absolutely call and see what options you have. If I were in the same boat and had exhausted all options via JJP and my distributor then I would call and file a claim with my CC.

I sure hope folks are using a credit card should they decide to purchase a machine in these precarious times.

#2481 4 years ago

So some actual good news! I had the issue with the playfield as well and purchased the new one at cost like many have described.

Today I got a call from Jack, hes refunding me for the playfield cost. So my replacement playfield is free. Completely unsolicited call, just called me out of the blue.

Was nice for him to call, and I feel made whole. sure I'll have to do a playfield swap at some point. But this feels right.

Good on jjp. Thanks jack.

#2482 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Is the ink even applied to the wood?
What if the wood is prepared with some agent first and then the ink is attached?
Any way you slice it, the clear is obviously way to soft.

I'm not saying any of that is wrong. The only point I was making was that ONE of the items listed as a FACT was not, in fact, a fact, but an idea, theory, guess, idea etc because it spoke to a process no one knows about in this circumstance. That's all.

#2483 4 years ago
Quoted from Outlanes:

So some actual good news! I had the issue with the playfield as well and purchased the new one at cost like many have described.
Today I got a call from Jack, hes refunding me for the playfield cost. So my replacement playfield is free. Completely unsolicited call, just called me out of the blue.
Was nice for him to call, and I feel made whole. sure I'll have to do a playfield swap at some point. But this feels right.
Good on jjp. Thanks jack.

Swapping THAT playfield? I'd hardly be saying thank you.

#2484 4 years ago

I just got off the phone with Jack and he said they are sending out free replacement playfields to anyone with chipping and failing clearcoats.

He said they are not sure what the exact cause but, it's likely a combination of cure time and other things that they are still testing to be sure.

I get that many people want populated playfields and more but, I am more than happy with a replacement playfield for free.

I also get that there is only so much they can do to make this issue better. I want JJP to succeed. I am an original owner of all the games up to ww.

#2485 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I think this is a fine solution. Play the game, have fun. At some point, you can make it new again. We don't live in a perfect world!

#2486 4 years ago

Just speculating as no one really knows the cause...
So....if it's bad clear, that no matter how long it sits, will never properly cure....
Sure will suck if you swap a playfield and have the same issues.

I guess we won't know for some time.

btw, I have rec'd no contact from my ticket besides the "We rec'd your ticket" email.

#2487 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

At least it's not The Hobbit. The underside of that one is a nightmare.

#2488 4 years ago

Its not much, but at least their doing something...my guess is they had to negotiate a resolution with Mirco so JJP doesn't have to take the financial hit.

#2489 4 years ago
Quoted from DougPiranha:

I just got off the phone with Jack and he said they are sending out free replacement playfields to anyone with chipping and failing clearcoats.
He said they are not sure what the exact cause but, it's likely a combination of cure time and other things that they are still testing to be sure.
I get that many people want populated playfields and more but, I am more than happy with a replacement playfield for free.
I also get that there is only so much they can do to make this issue better. I want JJP to succeed. I am an original owner of all the games up to ww.

This is the right answer. I'm glad they are offering it and hope Mirco is behind that. I'm not sure what he was doing in the past, but the TBL playfield that he did years ago is perfect.

#2490 4 years ago
Quoted from DougPiranha:

Congrats Doug!

I respect the fact that Jack is making that call personally and I think it is the right decision. I have chipping on my playfield and was wanting to buy another for an eventual swap, but could not justify the $550 after $9k+ for the pin. Mine chipped after about a month. I am thrilled to hear that they are moving in the right direction.

#2491 4 years ago

Jack calling himself is a big deal to me.

Personal accountability being taken.

#2492 4 years ago

Props to Jack for personally calling and trying to rectify this. I hope the Wonka people get a good resolution as well. I still think they should be swapping populated playfields, but this is much better than making people pay $550 for JJP's problem.

#2493 4 years ago

You aren't solid on your facts. Go read the JJP warranty.

30 days warranty from the day you receive your machine IF you register it within 5 days. The only things covered under a 6 mo (if you route) or 1 year warranty (if you don't) are the electronics. Almost NO ONE has a "warranty" to cover these playfield issues. Doesn't matter if it is the second owner (which yes, is also an exclusion), unless the 30 days and 5 days requirements are met the warranty isn't in effect in this case, either way. On top of that, 50% off a playfield doesn't sound like how a company is required to handle warranty issues, but again this is not a warranty issue. On top of that, JJP has in the past demonstratively done warranty replacement for those outside of warranty coverage, so this is not a hard and fast line for them.

This is a manufacturing defect that was known to the manufacturer at the time of assembly which was, quite literally, covered up. It isn't a matter of legality at this point but one of reputation and customer satisfaction, if nothing else. Producing and selling a known defective product doesn't need to be covered under any warranty. Bad publicity and/or customer feedback is likely to have caused this change in the JJP response.

Now the question is, will they be refunding all those who purchased playfields who had chipping?

#2494 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Quoted from robertmee:

I hear OneAngryMo has some business class miles to Melbourne

Quoted from Wickerman2:

You need to list the airport you want to meet at, check pinside fight club for pinball discussion fist fight rules. GLWS

What on earth are you all doing? Why start these sort of stupid comments? You all want to start hitting someone now?

For goodness sake Mr Pinball May be a rough diamond but he sure as hell looks after his customers. I have kept off this thread because he has taken care of my playfield issues at his OWN expense. How many of your American distributors said they would buy you all a new playfield. Radio silence. And what has he done to earn your animosity? Tell you to stop going round in circles and make sure you raise tickets with proof and then list your games here to show the extent. Rather than all the bickering and bullshit. And guess what? Jack is starting to do the right thing! This is partly due to Mr Pinball trying to help you guys out and now you want to punch him.

Good one.

#2495 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

30 days warranty from the day you receive your machine IF you register it within 5 days. The only things covered under a 6 mo (if you route) or 1 year warranty (if you don't) are the electronics. Almost NO ONE has a "warranty" to cover these playfield issues. Doesn't matter if it is the second owner (which yes, is also an exclusion), unless the 30 days and 5 days requirements are met the warranty isn't in effect in this case, either way. On top of that, 50% off a playfield doesn't sound like how a company is required to handle warranty issues, but again this is not a warranty issue. On top of that, JJP has in the past demonstratively done warranty replacement for those outside of warranty coverage, so this is not a hard and fast line for them.
This is a manufacturing defect that was known to the manufacturer at the time of assembly which was, quite literally, covered up. It isn't a matter of legality at this point but one of reputation and customer satisfaction, if nothing else. Producing and selling a known defective product doesn't need to be covered under any warranty. Bad publicity and/or customer feedback is likely to have caused this change in the JJP response.
Now the question is, will they be refunding all those who purchased playfields who had chipping?

I’m going to assume anyone with bad chipping in multiple spots ought to get a refund if already purchased a PF and if the owner hasn’t pulled the trigger yet it will likely be a free replacement.

#2496 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

He said all that paid would get refunded.

#2497 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I’m going to assume anyone with bad chipping in multiple spots ought to get a refund if already purchased a PF and if the owner hasn’t pulled the trigger yet it will likely be a free replacement.

Now only another $1000 plus to get new PF repopulated. And how can those PFs already bought not have the clear issues? Crazy really. The whole thing. At least you get something. Certainly not whole IMO.

#2498 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

What on earth are you all doing? Why start these sort of stupid comments? You all want to start hitting someone now?
For goodness sake Mr Pinball May be a rough diamond but he sure as hell looks after his customers. I have kept off this thread because he has taken care of my playfield issues at his OWN expense. How many of your American distributors said they would buy you all a new playfield. Radio silence. And what has he done to earn your animosity? Tell you to stop going round in circles and make sure you raise tickets with proof and then list your games here to show the extent. Rather than all the bickering and bullshit. And guess what? Jack is starting to do the right thing! This is partly due to Mr Pinball trying to help you guys out and now you want to punch him.
Good one.

He's come off as dismissive and misstated facts on several occasions. Might be a great guy, but it hasn't come off that way irt this issue. He was the one that implied he would get physical if someone disparaged him to his face. Rather unprofessional. ✌️

#2499 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Reading Comprehension Fail. Your buddy Bally was the one that insinuated physical violence. Our comments were just to highlight the ridiculousness of that which is what you tried to do, only you misdirected your anger.

#2500 4 years ago
Quoted from DougPiranha:

He said all that paid would get refunded.

That would be a great step. Would be nice if they announced this kind of thing, especially for the good press but also to inform owners.

Quoted from Extraballz:

Now only another $1000 plus to get new PF repopulated. And how can those PFs already bought not have the clear issues? Crazy really. The whole thing. At least you get something. Certainly not whole IMO.

Don't forget the cost of the Mylar! And the spinning map disc decal (otherwise it will look stupid). And t-nuts (otherwise you have to remove all the old ones first).

I was seriously debating doing PF swaps for people (mailing populated playfields) but I don't think anyone would want to pay for it. The shipping would be expensive. The time to do a PF swap right is a lot. Need to clear out the holes, install t-nuts properly, etc.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
24,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

There are 3,006 posts in this topic. You are on page 50 of 61.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-who-has-playfield-dimples-cracking-wear-around-star-posts-/page/50 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.