(Topic ID: 242867)

PoTC - Who has playfield cracking & wear around sling posts?

By harryhoudini

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,006 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinDeadHead
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What kind of issues are you seeing?”

• I have visible dimples but no chipping 47 votes
    22%
  • I can see chipping but haven't done anything yet 69 votes
    32%
  • I can see chipping and installed mylar, washer and/or larger star post 33 votes
    15%
  • My playfield looks fine (but I haven't removed the star posts) 33 votes
    15%
  • I removed the star posts and my playfield looks fine 16 votes
    7%
  • My game had clear washers installed from the factory 16 votes
    7%

(Multiple choice - 214 votes by 202 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8a08956226ce33ab4cbce84ac85256fac4d2c495 (resized).jpg
272de6fede9fee8a8547778ad012df344b85326e (resized).jpg
20200319_164738 (resized).jpg
AEF37959-C604-4A07-B193-2416A6A62929 (resized).jpeg
F10537D7-D970-4859-B5C9-CF482DF29BFA (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200320_103742 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200320_101453 (resized).jpg
917EEAC5-4AC1-4204-BDA8-5497FFCB4BAC (resized).jpeg
83458836-4863-4833-8D88-F5A9E65F9517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3627 (resized).jpeg
20200127_171934 (resized).jpg
Shocked.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
potc2_5234 (resized).jpg
3FC99A16-7187-44B6-811B-16DD827ABC65 (resized).jpeg
20200125_090027 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,006 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 61.
#151 4 years ago
Quoted from Tyamry:

I tried again and it's not coming off. A screwdriver would do it but I am pretty sure the playfield would come up with it.

Dang, don't mess it up! But... another good data point. JJPs remediation in the factory to install metal washers now leaves you with a frozen washer on the playfield, likely to cause damage removing it. Not good.

#152 4 years ago

So we own games where we literally can’t remove something now?

Good job, JJP.

The more this discussion continues, the
more uncomfortable I’m becoming...

#153 4 years ago

Where’s LTG with all this?

#154 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Where’s ltg with all this?

This goes beyond your standard tech support type of issues. How can LTG resolve this?

#155 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

This goes beyond your standard tech support type of issues. How can LTG resolve this?

Yea. Fair enough.

Well... I’m sure he still feels bad about it with his involvement with JJP or at least I would imagine so.

#156 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

I'm already having issues with the clear lexan (petg) washers being too tall, others reported the issue as well. The sling "hammer" (whatever that hits the rubber) pops out. Had it happen last night. Not the end of the world, but should not be an issue I should have to deal with. Don't see a way around it aside from trimming the star posts down the same height as the washers.

I had the hammer thing happen a few times before I put washers on.
Just played five games and all is well so far. If it continues to play well, I think I found a method of protection for me.

#157 4 years ago

Seems to me JJP wants to forget about this game. It has been nothing but a total disaster for them. I bet they lost there ass on this game from all the earlier problems and the delays and now there playfields are falling about. I hope Wonka is selling well becouse if not JJP might be in serious financial trouble. WOZ can only carry JJP for so long. I personally am done buying new in box games, spending 10 to 12000 on a pinball machine is insane and especially if they are falling apart. I hope JJP figures something out, and fixes this problem.

#158 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Guys, I'm sorry but having to resort to double washers under posts is absolutely bananas.
Reading through all of these JJPOTC threads is blowing my mind. Has there ever been a game with this many issues before? I'm truly stunned.
I was hoping to eventually buy a used LE down the road but there is a rolodex worth of crap to check before I'd ever pull the trigger on that deal. I just hope these issues don't continue to get worse for you guys. It's such a great game otherwise. The best JJP IMO.

Take what you read with a grain of salt. The pin is not some problem prone disaster. Many of us have had little or no issues. Mine has the minor chipping from the posts and I just don’t really give a damn. Game plays fine. It’s not worsened in over 1000 games. It doesn’t affect anything. All pins have issues that need some fixing. JJP is not unique or immune to this. I’ve had to do something to every pin I’ve owned.

#159 4 years ago

I don't have any wear or chipping around my posts, I'm just adding protection.

#160 4 years ago

Dang, don't mess it up! But... another good data point. JJPs remediation in the factory to install metal washers now leaves you with a frozen washer on the playfield, likely to cause damage removing it. Not good.

Why are we trying to remove it in the first place? A perfectly good pin, let’s rip it apart so we can ruin it? :p

Quoted from joseph5185:

So we own games where we literally can’t remove something now?
Good job, JJP.
The more this discussion continues, the
more uncomfortable I’m becoming...

What? See above...

Quoted from joseph5185:

Where’s ltg with all this?

Probably avoiding the hysterical nonsense.

#161 4 years ago

I may try star posts with just the rubber washers like my tna. The skinny posts don't work right with the rubber washers alone.

#162 4 years ago

If people thinking that when pieces of playfield art starts to chip off a new machine is hysterical nonsense than I must be a complete madman cause I can’t think of one component of a pin that’s more important to be right than the PF.

#163 4 years ago

I wonder if for those with non-damaged games would @kruzman's bit kit possibly help by removing the clearcoat around the posts before re-installing? Not saying you should have to do this with a brand-new $10K+ game, because you sure as F@#$ shouldn't but it may be a way to play without any (more) damage) while waiting for JJP to hopefully do the right thing.

#164 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Why are we trying to remove it in the first place? A perfectly good pin, let’s rip it apart so we can ruin it? :p

What? See above...

You obviously don't care about the issue. Those of us who do seem to be interested in knowing what happened, why it happened and what JJP knew about it. This would be a way to know those specific questions I originally posted about a game which is unique in all the games posted here, only two having large metal washers. If his playfield is dimpled in a large washer diameter, is that not an issue? If he can't remove the washer, is that an issue? Would that be acceptable in another manufacturer? Was the washer covering up something? I think that last one is an important one.

#165 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

What? See above...

Wait...what?

That’s not the point...
You guys really need to stop trying to get ahead of me on everything.

It essentially becomes a non-serviceable area and that’s a problem.

#166 4 years ago

I recommend everyone who is hysterical about this issue to sell their game immediately. Demand is high. Move on and don't let it trouble you.

Meanwhile, I'm going to keep playing mine. With the plays my wife and I put on it daily I fully expect it to look like that routed machine at some point.
It's sure as shootin' not going to hamper my enjoyment.

#167 4 years ago

To their credit, if they glued a metal washer to the playfield you can be certain that sucker is not going to chip.

#168 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

To their credit, if they glued a metal washer to the playfield you can be certain that sucker is not going to chip.

For me - it may actually be a non-issue. At least, not in this area.

But being new to the hobby, I’m willing to bet gluing metal washers isn’t exactly SOP.

I might call JJP out on this. I spent almost $13k. I think I’m entitled to an answer.

#169 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I had the hammer thing happen a few times before I put washers on.
Just played five games and all is well so far. If it continues to play well, I think I found a method of protection for me.

Fascinating...

So it can just happen...I guess.

Okay.

#170 4 years ago

Ok, here are some updates on the clear washers. Long story short, put mylar down at least.... I have no way to know if that will help any more than anything else, but it seems like a trivial thing not to do.

There are definitely some noticeable "depressions" even though I know for sure these were only tightened down slightly more than hand tight.
Depression (resized).jpgDepression (resized).jpg

I had previously bought a kit of mylar from Marco (https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/66-MAS) and it had 4 circles that were a great size fit. It also had smaller circles that would work if you don't have the star posts installed (and smaller squares). I used squares on the other two posts that weren't as visible.
Marco (resized).jpgMarco (resized).jpg
Mylar (resized).jpgMylar (resized).jpg

While at it I noticed that one of my sling plastics was cracked, doh. They also had the scratched off printing where the 3rd screw scrapes on them. I used a black paint pen to touch it up since these are pretty toast anyhow and put a piece of mylar on the back. Not great, but I can put on the spare plastics when I want, I guess. I also finished the black conversion with black washers and painted the top of the screw.
Finished (resized).jpgFinished (resized).jpg

Not sure what to think about the depressions from the larger washers. Does that say anything about the finish on the playfield or would this happen on other playfields? I am refurbing a Jurassic Park playfield right now and aside from scoop wear it has no sign of depression. Same with a Theatre of Magic. Yeah, processes have changed, chemicals banned, etc... but is that the pinball enthusiasts crutch to bear? Does Stern have this issue, if not then why JJP? I haven't looked at my WOZ under any post, now I'm interested in doing so.

#171 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I think I can notice your sarcasm now. You should consider emojis

I didn't mean THEY glued it... I just mean it seems glued to the playfield now, that seems a problem.

#172 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Yea. Fair enough.
Well... I’m sure he still feels bad about it with his involvement with JJP or at least I would imagine so.

I hope he doesn't feel bad. He's an invaluable resource to the community and has helped me on many occasions. I hope no one at JJP feels bad, really. I just hope they know it's the right thing to do to resolve this situation.

#173 4 years ago

I think the clear coat craze has us... like the matrix. We want no dimples, no damage after playing the machine for 20 years, yet we scream bloody murder when the seemingly 1/4” thick clear coat starts chipping around the edges. Well then just put the mylar down and forget the CC stupidity, or better yet, let them dimple and chip and keep right on playing, because a machine that “plays a game for the amusement of the player in exchange for some spare pocket change” is all this thing has got to really do, and you will find all these “good faith” remedies and remediations about playfields are just to silence the loudest squeaky wheels, because operators are not giving two shits the playfield is disentigrating around the star posts... now when the area in front of the flippers starts ripping off in strips, then they might bitch, but all the HUO collectors who are looking to keep pristine copies of these titles and play only 1 game a month on them are going to kill the resurgence of pinball if what they expect these things are going to do is anything other than fall completely apart as we play them. I stopped looking at my playfield damage the day I bring them home, because I know from here on out, the damage is going to be minimal in my HUO collection, and every flaw and dent is not a crack in the dyke that is going to get unbelievably bigger if I do nothing about it. Does the start button work? Flippers work? Coils work?, switches work?, plunger work? Does it keep score and take money? Then what’s the problem with it? Yeah these machines cost a fortune, you want them to be right when it rolls through the door, but expecting it to stay that way is ludicris thinking, imo. Lets slow this crazy train down a few clicks and take a breather, then discuss the reason star posts were conic in the first place, had three on every sling plastic for years, and hear comes jumpin Jack Flash and his JJP gas and now we have more issues. How about the issue of the newer silicone rings? I think there are more factors at play here, ring tension, mechanical advantage of a conic star post verses straight, the loss of the third post being stabilized by sling plastic, thicker clear coats, different compositions, bad qc on post bottoms, change in post shape and size. When you look at the collection of posts and vertical things penetrating the play field over the decades of pinball development and we have come up with all kinds of ways to secure things to a play field. I believe the confluence of post design changes, increasing clearcoat thicknesses, change in clear coat compositions,qc issues and owner expectations have sent us into this frenzy. I’m praying that CGC has got it right on my MB, but who knows?

#174 4 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

I think the clear coat craze has us... like the matrix. We want no dimples, no damage after playing the machine for 20 years, yet we scream bloody murder when the seemingly 1/4” thick clear coat starts chipping around the edges. Well then just put the mylar down and forget the CC stupidity, or better yet, let them dipple and chip and keep right on playing, because a machine that “plays a game for the amusement of the player in exchange for some spare pocket change” is all this thing has got to really do, and you will find all these “good faith” remedies and remediations about playfields are just to silence the loudest squeaky wheels, because operators are not giving two shits the playfield is disentigrating around the star posts... now when the area in front of the flippers starts ripping off in strips, then they might bitch, but all the HUO collectors who are looking to keep pristine copies of these titles and play only 1 game a month on them are going to kill the resurgence of pinball if what they expect these things are going to do is anything other than fall completely apart as we play them. I stopped looking at my playfield damage the day I bring them home, because I know from here on out, the damage is going to be minimal in my HUO collection, and every flaw and dent is not a crack in the dyke that is going to get unbelievably bigger if I do nothing about it. Does the start button work? Flippers work? Coils work?, switches work?, plunger work? Does it keep score and take money? Then what’s the problem with it? Yeah these machines cost a fortune, you want them to be right when it rolls through the door, but expecting it to stay that way is ludicris thinking, imo. Lets slow this crazy train down a few clicks and take a breather, then discuss the reason star posts were conic in the first place, had three on every sling plastic for years, and hear comes jumpin Jack Flash and his JJP gas and now we have more issues. How about the issue of the newer silicone rings? I think there are more factors at play here, ring tension, mechanical advantage of a conic star post verses straight, the loss of the third post being stabilized by sling plastic, thicker clear coats, different compositions, bad qc on post bottoms, change in post shape and size. When you look at the collection of posts and vertical things penetrating the play field over the decades of pinball development and we have come up with all kinds of ways to secure things to a play field. I believe the confluence of post design changes, increasing clearcoat thicknesses, change in clear coat compositions,qc issues and owner expectations have sent us into this frenzy. I’m praying that CGC has got it right on my MB, but who knows?

Very good points. Many issues could be contributing, some definitely not JJPs fault.

We don't know what will happen with this chipping in a few more months, a few more years. One expects normal wear and tear, parts need to be replaced, a playfield gets wear areas. Do you expect that to happen in a few months? Will operators care when it starts chipping more and their resale value does down? I assume that is a large part of the calculations they make for profitability.

Should earlier purchasers be penalized because the issue wasn't known prior and later games have some "protections" installed? They paid for the same game.

#175 4 years ago

I have reported my small chip and ripples to JJP. I am going to hold off putting star posts in and Mylar. Just going to put standard posts back and wait for JJPs reply. Problem with putting star posts on is that they will indent the playfield in a new spot. So we cannot go back to thinner posts or washers if JJP turn around and give us their solution. So I won’t change for now. If it chips, then I know I already reported my concerns to JJP. I may put on star posts and Mylar then. Also I would recommend people to turn down their sling strength. I think the overly strong slings are not helping the situation.

#176 4 years ago

Another thought for all of you naysayers. This is almost definitely not just isolated to the sling posts. The same posts are used in many other locations in the game and I can already see issues. I don't know how many out there have done a detailed inspection of their game, took apart enough to see many of these posts, etc. I took some pics that I want to crop and zoom in on but my phone died so waiting for those to transfer over. I can see at least one or two posts where there are, what look like, chips and many others (clear posts like the sling posts OR other metal posts like the lane divider) where there is clearly a huge depression and now "pilling" or gathering of clearcoat around the posts. One or two look like they are getting ready to chip. There are others where there appears to be no issue, especially on the BP playfield.

This could very well be a much larger issue that we don't even know the extent of yet. The games only being so old and probably many fewer being on route with many plays. Slings are probably showing the issue sooner due to the tension from the bands, the crazy motion of the sling and possibly being tightened down more.

This needs to be treated seriously.

#177 4 years ago

Ok, here are some pics. Let me say, these are preliminary, gotta wait for the phone to charge so I can use the flash. I can surely see the puckering of the clear around the posts with the arrows. I felt it with my finger, it is a very distinct lip. The one metal post that looks like it has a chip, I think has a chip. I am not 100% sure. One of my metal posts by the right outlane has a metal washer under it, not sure if that was added at the factory or not. The T/E lane separator has sort of washers built in and I can see those puckering (phone died). I want to remove one of the other clear narrow posts and see how dug in they are compared to the slings.
Pucker-1 (resized).jpgPucker-1 (resized).jpgPucker-2 (resized).jpgPucker-2 (resized).jpgPucker4 (resized).jpgPucker4 (resized).jpgPurcker3 (resized).jpgPurcker3 (resized).jpg

Ahh.. found a pic that had this in it already. Need to get closer up.

0514192002__1_ (resized).jpg0514192002__1_ (resized).jpg

#178 4 years ago

Ok, here are some pics. Let me say, these are preliminary, gotta wait for the phone to charge so I can use the flash. I can surely see the puckering of the clear around the posts with the arrows. I felt it with my finger, it is a very distinct lip. The one metal post that looks like it has a chip, I think has a chip. I am not 100% sure. One of my metal posts by the right outlane has a metal washer under it, not sure if that was added at the factory or not. The T/E lane separator has sort of washers built in and I can see those puckering (phone died). I want to remove one of the other clear narrow posts and see how dug in they are compared to the slings. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Definitely a t-nut.

Rats, my friend has my 1" hole punch from Hobby Lobby in her car. I'll have to hold off for mylar madness for another day.

Time for beer.

#179 4 years ago

I am going to check my CE and report back to this thread...

That being said, I can say that my CE was placed into my car with self test issues present. I dont believe that QA is really a priority at JJP. Hell many of the people I asked when buying mine readily admitted to not playing pinball at all!

Meh

#181 4 years ago

Does seem like playfields made over the last 5 plus years seem to be more brittle.

And going further back, don't recall games like LOTR and TSPP ever having these kinds of issues even 15 years later!

#182 4 years ago

Unfortunately I don't see JJP replacing playfields with populated ones for those with chipping at the sling posts. Game is done, probably limited parts left, and they are moving into Wonka, game #6, etc.

What JJP should at the very least do is offer a "fix" kit for earlier built games. In the fix kit include posts that are smooth at the bottom, and the washers. I also noticed my 2/4 LE has a lexan washer installed under the star post located under the Black Pearl ramp, that should be included too. Basically any sort of protection being installed on the latest games needs to go into the the fix kit.

Finally, JJP should offer decals that are mylar square size of the artwork around the post holes so owners can choose to cover it up if they want to with using standard posts. Either that or include starposts with the clear lexan washer they are using under the Black Pearl ramp. This isn't an ideal solution but for the price of these games its the least they can do.

#183 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Unfortunately I don't see JJP replacing playfields with populated ones for those with chipping at the sling posts. Game is done, probably limited parts left, and they are moving into Wonka, game #6, etc.
What JJP should at the very least do is offer a "fix" kit for earlier built games. In the fix kit include posts that are smooth at the bottom, and the washers. I also noticed my 2/4 LE has a lexan washer installed under the star post located under the Black Pearl ramp, that should be included too. Basically any sort of protection being installed on the latest games needs to go into the the fix kit.
Finally, JJP should offer decals that are mylar square size of the artwork around the post holes so owners can choose to cover it up if they want to with using standard posts. Either that or include starposts with the clear lexan washer they are using under the Black Pearl ramp. This isn't an ideal solution but for the price of these games its the least they can do.

This is a absolute bullshit repair on such a expensive game. Should be replacing playfeilds with non defective ones.
I knew you were a jjp fanboy but this is rediculous.

#184 4 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

This is a absolute bullshit repair on such a expensive game. Should be replacing playfeilds with non defective ones.
I knew you were a jjp fanboy but this is rediculous.

I think they should replace the playfields but I'm just thinking what will really happen as the game is done. As I said it's not the ideal solution. Better then doing nothing.

#185 4 years ago

I just want to chime in to try to calm the waters a little. Not sure why there are 4 pages of this thread. This is not the first game in history to have chipping. This is not a major defect in your game. It does not effect gameplay and can barely be seen when plastics are assembled. Yeah, it kinda stinks, but this is the way ALL modern games are nowadays whether it be Stern, JJP, Spooky, etc. I think many of the concerned parties are new to the hobby or are NIB only buyers. The perfect used game is not out there because a metal ball causes damage to plastic, wood, and other metal pieces over time. If there was a major defect in gameplay or cosmetics, then I would expect a fix from JJP, but subtle chipping around a post is not likely going to elicit a response when $2 at Lowes can give you the same "fix" that JJP would issue. My game has one small chip at the lower right sling post. Can only see it if I really try. Am I worried? No. Am I mad? No. Why? Because this game is amazing and I have tons of fun with it. I'm going to wax it and change balls regularly just like I do my other games and enjoy it. There is no way JJP should be expected to give someone a new, fully populated playfield for a 1--2mm chip around a sling post. Not all HUO games are going to be pristine 10 play or HEP restored gems. Most games have some dings. That is pinball. All this thread does is cast ill will on JJP and Eric's masterpiece of a game. I'm with @Zaphx, if it bothers you that much, sell it. You'll probably recoup almost all your cost at this point. Otherwise, make whatever "fix" you feel necessary and enjoy your game. C'mon folks, it's just pinball.

#186 4 years ago

On a couple Sterns, I have done a decent repair job with Everbrite.

I have cleaned gently the chip area with alcohol, and after fully dry, put a first coat to seal chip edges,
and then 2-4 layers afterward. No worries, it evaporates to a self leveling hard clear.

Its not strong enough for long term chip repair on a VUK, but on posts, cupped inserts, its worked out well.

Ive then covered with a small mylar circle.
If one isnt happy, it will clean up with alcohol on a Q-tip.

Sorry, no pics, but Ive found it easiest to use as a clear because of self leveling and cleanup.

#187 4 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

he perfect used game is not out there because a metal ball causes damage to plastic, wood, and other metal pieces over time.

Except the ball can't even hit where it's chipping.

#188 4 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

I just want to chime in to try to calm the waters a little. Not sure why there are 4 pages of this thread. This is not the first game in history to have chipping. This is not a major defect in your game. It does not effect gameplay and can barely be seen when plastics are assembled. Yeah, it kinda stinks, but this is the way ALL modern games are nowadays whether it be Stern, JJP, Spooky, etc. I think many of the concerned parties are new to the hobby or are NIB only buyers. The perfect used game is not out there because a metal ball causes damage to plastic, wood, and other metal pieces over time. If there was a major defect in gameplay or cosmetics, then I would expect a fix from JJP, but subtle chipping around a post is not likely going to elicit a response when $2 at Lowes can give you the same "fix" that JJP would issue. My game has one small chip at the lower right sling post. Can only see it if I really try. Am I worried? No. Am I mad? No. Why? Because this game is amazing and I have tons of fun with it. I'm going to wax it and change balls regularly just like I do my other games and enjoy it. There is no way JJP should be expected to give someone a new, fully populated playfield for a 1--2mm chip around a sling post. Not all HUO games are going to be pristine 10 play or HEP restored gems. Most games have some dings. That is pinball. All this thread does is cast ill will on JJP and Eric's masterpiece of a game. I'm with Zaphx, if it bothers you that much, sell it. You'll probably recoup almost all your cost at this point. Otherwise, make whatever "fix" you feel necessary and enjoy your game. C'mon folks, it's just pinball.

Dude this is not normal, stop the company's from giving you anything less then your money is worth!
By setteling with crap YOU set the new standards!!
Chipping at this places caused by cheap ass sharp edged posts should not be an issue on a 9000 dollar machine!
Not on any btw.
Yes the ball is like a bullet to your machine, but this is not normal and its unnecessary damage!
Sure wood can dimple in an amount, but chipping by sharp edged post come on

#189 4 years ago

JJP dropped the ball with those un-even posts.

It’s not even disputable and if JJP can’t even confess that then that’s not good.

#190 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Guys, I'm sorry but having to resort to double washers under posts is absolutely bananas.
Reading through all of these JJPOTC threads is blowing my mind. Has there ever been a game with this many issues before? I'm truly stunned.
I was hoping to eventually buy a used LE down the road but there is a rolodex worth of crap to check before I'd ever pull the trigger on that deal. I just hope these issues don't continue to get worse for you guys. It's such a great game otherwise. The best JJP IMO.

JJPOTC has been a shit show from the start because the club thread was so much a fix the POTC thread this was started a month ago and now has over 1000 post https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues

#191 4 years ago

I find it interesting how many folks complaining are not actually owners. Unless you guys need to update your collection info.

#192 4 years ago

Man, I would never ever own or be in the business of selling pinball machines, as a manufacturer or dealer. It’s one of the few markets that have some incredibly anal buyers. My POTC has an indent and a minor flake around the post...but honestly, I really don’t care. That’s not right or wrong, and if you feel it’s a big issue, more power to you. I have one of the first batch, and knowingly took a risk on stuff like this to be the first to own it. c'est la vie

Again, if you feel like it’s a big issue, I understand and best of luck. If I’m comparing it to other “high end toys” though, most manufacturers usually tell ya to pack sand. Headlights micro cracking on a new mclaren? Sorry, we can sell you new ones for $13k....”I’ll never buy another mclaren again”....sorry to see you go, we just don’t consider it an issue. Guy who bought my used Lambo contacted me, then the manufacturer because the gap was off on the deck. Car was still under warranty, but they basically said “f off, we aren’t going to do anything”. Was it right or wrong, I don’t know, they are minor issues and I’m sure they don’t want the floodgates to open now that everyone is connected via social media and forums.

All of the pins I’ve owned had issues, some big, some small. In the end, I just enjoy my pins and feel thankful I can afford to own them. Have all the manufactures let me down in one way or another? Sure, but was it enough for me to stop buying? Meh, not yet. It is a perfect example of why having a good quality control program is important, as they can catch issues like these before things go out the door. Heck, at my business, we actually reward the QC guy when he finds a bad product, almost making a sort of game of it. We constantly make sure the focus is on bad parts or issues before it hits the customers hands to avoid issue like these.

#193 4 years ago

Faulty posts!

It's NOT okay!

I guess everyone is blind...

#194 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

JJPOTC has been a shit show from the start because the club thread was so much a fix the POTC thread this was started a month ago and now has over 1000 post https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues

Do you ever stop trolling against JJP?

#195 4 years ago

I think the point is getting lost a bit here folks...

So let me ask this, I can’t simply reinstall the post because there is some wood missing from the hole and the post won’t sit flat. No stability.

Mylar won’t work because it won’t adhere to the non flat surface.

You can add washers and Star posts and all kinds of new hardware that will sit flat and technically work but now we have slingshot firing issues that nobody has seemed to get figured out yet. Not to mention other cosmetic issues that maybe created by placing this new hardware over the damage.

Point being, it’s more than the cosmetic issue and for some of us it does affect the gameplay and reliability of the slings.

Maybe some of the chips are literally paint and clear, you can see some of the pics show some more significant material missing.

So what’s the right answer?

#196 4 years ago

Anyone have 500+ plays on a Pirates w/ no defect and no extra washers from factory? Be interested in seeing if the posts are smooth, if that's really all it/was. Apologies if this has been covered.

Just trying to see what needs to be done when my machine gets here, while it's not a huge deal to me, all things being equal I would rather not have the cracking.

#197 4 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

I find it interesting how many folks complaining are not actually owners. Unless you guys need to update your collection info.

It’s amazing when you dig into some peoples post history, or have seen them follow from thread to thread, it’s a bunch of Rage boner for JJP. They are the same ones that trash any new release, blow up any minor issue, and always say JJP is at deaths door. They were always “going to buy the next one”, or “That one song isn’t on it? It’s shit, I’m out”....always some
Bullshit excuse and everyone sees it but them. Pretty pathetic existence to be honest.

I like stern, JJP, CGC....all of them, I own them all, like them all, and will continue to support them all. I hope they all do amazing. Raging against the competition to the tune of thousands of posts a year makes you a loser who should re-examine your priorities. Just ones mans opinion though.

#198 4 years ago

Pinball manufacturers are taking advantage of the poor attitude of this community. Pinball has this antiquated 'manufacturing is hard' and 'just play your shittily manufactured game you whiner' logic.

Companies like Stern and JJP know that there will be an endless stream of their defenders like Sinestro, Panzer, WhoDey, MapleSyrup, Chambahz etc to defend the BULLSHIT.

Personally I've received a warped playfield in a NIB Stern game and they've told me that they don't give a fuck.

Wake up people, we need to support each other and band together against this BULLSHIT. They are railroading us.

#199 4 years ago
Quoted from jarozi:

Anyone have 500+ plays on a Pirates w/ no defect and no extra washers from factory? Be interested in seeing if the posts are smooth, if that's really all it/was. Apologies if this has been covered.
Just trying to see what needs to be done when my machine gets here, while it's not a huge deal to me, all things being equal I would rather not have the cracking.

If your getting a newer built game it should have the small plastic washers installed under the sling posts from the factory. I would still recommend applying 1-2 squares of mylar over each post hole just to be safe.

Here's the mylar installed over mine, it's barely noticeable.

20190429_200116 (resized).jpg20190429_200116 (resized).jpg

#200 4 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Pinball manufacturers are taking advantage of the poor attitude of this community. Pinball has this antiquated 'manufacturing is hard' and 'just play your shittily manufactured game you whiner' logic.
Companies like Stern and JJP know that there will be an endless stream of their defenders like Sinestro, Panzer, WhoDey, MapleSyrup, Chambahz etc to defend the BULLSHIT.
Personally I've received a warped playfield in a NIB Stern game and they've told me that they don't give a fuck.
Wake up people, we need to support each other and band together against this BULLSHIT. They are railroading us.

I've been critical of JJP many times. Pleade don't think for a second I think this is acceptable, it's not. As I've written before the last thing customers of NIB games should have to worry about are playfield issues.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

29,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,006 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 61.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-who-has-playfield-dimples-cracking-wear-around-star-posts-/page/4?hl=willsmuz8999 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.