(Topic ID: 242867)

PoTC - Who has playfield cracking & wear around sling posts?

By harryhoudini

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,006 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinDeadHead
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What kind of issues are you seeing?”

• I have visible dimples but no chipping 47 votes
    22%
  • I can see chipping but haven't done anything yet 69 votes
    32%
  • I can see chipping and installed mylar, washer and/or larger star post 33 votes
    15%
  • My playfield looks fine (but I haven't removed the star posts) 33 votes
    15%
  • I removed the star posts and my playfield looks fine 16 votes
    7%
  • My game had clear washers installed from the factory 16 votes
    7%

(Multiple choice - 214 votes by 202 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8a08956226ce33ab4cbce84ac85256fac4d2c495 (resized).jpg
272de6fede9fee8a8547778ad012df344b85326e (resized).jpg
20200319_164738 (resized).jpg
AEF37959-C604-4A07-B193-2416A6A62929 (resized).jpeg
F10537D7-D970-4859-B5C9-CF482DF29BFA (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200320_103742 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200320_101453 (resized).jpg
917EEAC5-4AC1-4204-BDA8-5497FFCB4BAC (resized).jpeg
83458836-4863-4833-8D88-F5A9E65F9517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3627 (resized).jpeg
20200127_171934 (resized).jpg
Shocked.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
potc2_5234 (resized).jpg
3FC99A16-7187-44B6-811B-16DD827ABC65 (resized).jpeg
20200125_090027 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,006 posts in this topic. You are on page 49 of 61.
#2401 4 years ago
Quoted from RichieWrench:

Kind of True
Actually....
TRUE!

But it looks cool....

#2402 4 years ago

Kind of True
Actually....
TRUE!

I expect that to be addressed. Very excited to see the 80's style Richie Wrench arcade game you have coming.

#2403 4 years ago

Love the discussion. This is taking some interesting turns. I wonder if an online petition grouping all folks affected by JJP and/or Marco playfield issues would be a solidifying effort? I think it might be a opportune point in the timeline to pull together the disparate groups of people. It's nothing but a visual show of support but maybe a good next step. "Hey, we're sick of this crap response to a real issue".

Been busy elsewhere in mod stuff and wasn't sure if I shared this here. If I did, I won't again! If anyone wants to grab double star posts, washers (have clear now too) and plastic protection (lexan washers) I have the kits on our site. Several people asked after I was sending out the extra washers I had so I bought some more and put them all in one place for anyone who needs to do the fix.

https://magicalproductions.miiduu.com/pmc-post-playfield-protection-set

Added over 4 years ago:

Love the discussion. This is taking some interesting turns. I wonder if an online petition grouping all folks affected by JJP and/or Marco playfield issues would be a solidifying effort? I think it might be a opportune point in the timeline to pull together the disparate groups of people. It's nothing but a visual show of support but maybe a good next step. "Hey, we're sick of this crap response to a real issue".

Been busy elsewhere in mod stuff and wasn't sure if I shared this here. If I did, I won't again! If anyone wants to grab double star posts, washers (have clear now too) and plastic protection (lexan washers) I have the kits on our site. Several people asked after I was sending out the extra washers I had so I bought some more and put them all in one place for anyone who needs to do the fix.

https://pinballmods.co/PMC-post-Playfield-protection-set

#2404 4 years ago

Some dude PIST me off on the other Willy Wonka thread and I got ejected from there for 24 hours ....First ejection
So I have not post here for a bit and I feel lonely.
So .....What is the latest on POTC Playfields ...I will catch up
For what its worth my Richie Wrench Arcade shows no signs of chipping or wrinkles.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Those custom decals look really neat on that cabinet! Sorry to hear about the other thread. Unfortunately it seems like too often if someone has a difference of opinion they can't just chalk it up to a difference of opinion, and they feel the need to criticize the other person in order to feel better about their own opinion. Crazy stuff.

#2405 4 years ago

In an ideal world, these chipping threads would be full of:

1) pinsiders reporting their chipped playfields with pictures
2) pinsiders reporting that they have raised it with the manufacturer and their distributor
3) pinsiders commenting out how they feel about the situation (once!), and how it will affect them.
4) pinsiders reporting on how their reported chipping issues were dealt with by the manufacturer.
5) news from the manufacturers and distributors on the situation
6) suggestions for fixing

The rest of the vitriol is getting really depressing. The nasty stuff that actually gets posted in these threads actually takes the focus away from the real issue here. Why should the manufacturers work towards fixing it if we’re just a bunch of jerks? They will never take us seriously when they see the content in these threads. Some of us are actually doing the original cause of disservice.

#2406 4 years ago
39D3DA29-0CA1-4F7E-A478-3943BFCD2EEF (resized).png39D3DA29-0CA1-4F7E-A478-3943BFCD2EEF (resized).png
#2407 4 years ago

HEY ....My Pinside Ban is over in less than 2 Hours

#2408 4 years ago

HEY ....My Pinside Ban is over in less than 2 Hours

Maybe not never say never and extension can be arranged

#2409 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

https://magicalproductions.miiduu.com/pmc-post-playfield-protection-set

I'm in but I think we should target it at JJP. The liability is at the JJP level and we aren't even 100% sure it's Mirco. There are so many faulty PF's with JJP and Stern. Mirco was probably sub-contracted by JJP but JJP manufactured the item as a whole and represented it as a finished product to the world.

Thanks for offering to organize this.

#2410 4 years ago

Mirco 100% made all these Playfields, so keep buying his products, he must have product Liability Insurance, and can send out free Replacements.

I still have not seen names and game numbers to all these games mentioned here

Lots of talk but still very little actual Real Buyers with Real Problems Standing up

I will take some pics of a Pirates with thousands of games with no issue

When you come back with your comments put your pics and game number and name with them

#2411 4 years ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

Lots of talk but still very little actual Real Buyers with Real Problems Standing up

Lol! Someone hasn’t been paying attention

#2412 4 years ago

...put your pics and game number and name with them

This seems like a good idea. Perhaps a list of build-dates and confirmation of issues (yes/no/tbd) would help the manufacturers narrow down bad batches, etc.
I've started a google sheet here. Feel free to fix or edit. If this is a bad idea (for a reason I can't imagine), let me know and I'll take it down.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oL9hUaeVpl_QGFD5z1TGqka4urDbpMmFFRM_a7SV3V8/edit?usp=sharing

#2413 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Again... how do those chips kill the game play or make it the worst thing that can happen? Right... they don’t.
It’s like you all would throw a game away if you scratched the cabinet.... because you can’t fix the art.

If the PF is chipping now, what do you think it will look like in a few years?

#2414 4 years ago

Mirco 100% made all these Playfields, so keep buying his products, he must have product Liability Insurance, and can send out free Replacements.
When you come back with your comments put your pics and game number and name with them

Why? I think the burden of proof has more than been met. We have no reason to further put our names or game numbers out there. Manufacturers are now well aware of this issue, they have been delivered letters directly signed by owners of the game. The ball is in their court to make this right.

#2415 4 years ago

POTC CE #28 ... Pooling in multiple areas and some ready to chip.

IMG_6206 (resized).jpgIMG_6206 (resized).jpg
#2416 4 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

If the PF is chipping now, what do you think it will look like in a few years?

Probably small chips around the posts like we see now.

The kind of stuff we paint over and seal because it's a visual distraction. Like where aprons or ball guides dig their way into PFs. Or posts have gone through the paint and finish on older games.

If it were to keep flaking or breaking free, even after the edge is secured. Then that would be catastrophic. But we haven't seen that yet. So all speculation beyond that.

#2417 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Probably small chips around the posts like we see now.
The kind of stuff we paint over and seal because it's a visual distraction. Like where aprons or ball guides dig their way into PFs. Or posts have gone through the paint and finish on older games.
If it were to keep flaking or breaking free, even after the edge is secured. Then that would be catastrophic. But we haven't seen that yet. So all speculation beyond that.

I don't know which side you are arguing or why you are arguing here. You don't see to own the game. We don't know what the long term effects will be, we don't know if the artwork can just be secured back to the playfield. It's all speculation, it's all a gamble. That's why it's up to JJP to step up, give all of the information they know and provide their solutions. The post fix kit isn't any of that. This isn't the end of the world, it doesn't stop you from playing the game, but it also devalues your expensive toy which is partly a speculative investment for some people. In either case, you should be getting what you paid for and no one signed up for chipped playfields.

#2418 4 years ago

I don't know which side you are arguing or why you are arguing here

It's called a community and a hobby - not just an owners circle. If you prefer a circle of people panicing with no objective take or experience.. I guess you could start a new separate forum where only like minded pile-ons are allowed?

I'm not arguing any side.. I'm contributing my observations and experiences as well as others. The idea that there are 'sides' here is the problem with people who are emotionally vested and feel the need to lash out at people who don't simply fan the flames.

#2419 4 years ago

I just love how people make excuses for these manufacturers who are charging you thousands of dollars for a flawed product. You have more money than I do to want to continue to pay that kind of cash for these machines.

#2420 4 years ago

Dan Horne POTC LE # 352
Pics are in the thread already, look them up yourself.

#2421 4 years ago

Goetz Vogelsang POTC LE #112
Pooling in multiple places, chipping in one so far, pics are with my distro and JJP

#2422 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

It's called a community and a hobby - not just an owners circle. If you prefer a circle of people panicing with no objective take or experience.. I guess you could start a new separate forum where only like minded pile-ons are allowed?
I'm not arguing any side.. I'm contributing my observations and experiences as well as others. The idea that there are 'sides' here is the problem with people who are emotionally vested and feel the need to lash out at people who don't simply fan the flames.

This thread is entitled "PoTC - Who has playfield cracking & wear around sling posts?" ... it's pretty specific. There wasn't a wide spread net cast to find community members who wanted to add their two cents about the situation. Your insinuation about the thread purpose, or what you are insinuating is my intention, is exploitative of the concentrated effort here. In essence, yes... this thread is for "pile-ons". It's a place for people who have the same issue to discuss it, compare notes, work with manufacturers, etc. It's not a debate from the community at large as to if this is a problem, what others feel about issues they aren't having to deal with, should we feel bad, how much our games are worth and how we should feel about it, the mindset you think we shoudl have, etc. The side here is the people who have the issue and want to discuss it and the other side is people who want to come here and exhale their sputum because somehow they feel they are adding to the discussion.

If you had information to share about playfield robustness, processes used to make playfields, a story about getting a fix for yours or something of the like, participate away. Otherwise, this isn't the place for you to feel inclusive warm and fuzziness.

#2423 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

If you look at the start of this thread you will see where we as owners came up with solutions on how to overcome the problems as they occurred. We did not just sit there and cry. Incidentally in another chipping thread I suggested a solution for the post in JP2 that pools and chips next to the upper right flipper. I suggested where a clear plastic shield could be used at the top of this post and span the lane to the right and the other side of the flipper to create rigidity in a 3 post connection. For some reason you downvoted it. Seems you just like to criticise. So stop telling us we are all whiners.

#2424 4 years ago
Quoted from rgzpinx:

POTC CE #28 ... Pooling in multiple areas and some ready to chip.[quoted image]

Is this yours? Just wondering

#2425 4 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

Goetz Vogelsang POTC LE #112
Pooling in multiple places, chipping in one so far, pics are with my distro and JJP

Goetz, would you mind sharing your pics sir? Being an LE owner, I'm interested in watching where others are having issues. I've still less than 100 games, but I intend to take
immediate action if I see pooling. Thanks for considering. - Murph

#2426 4 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

Goetz, would you mind sharing your pics sir? Being an LE owner, I'm interested in watching where others are having issues. I've still less than 100 games, but I intend to take

Here's my LE
https://photos.app.goo.gl/CVuJheFjQJhTMD5A9

Posts in the starmap area, under the BP ramp and slings are the major concerns. Map hole and tortuga hole with Cliffys. Inlanes need cliffys as well.

#2427 4 years ago

I will via PM

#2428 4 years ago

Here's my LE
Posts in the starmap area, under the BP ramp and slings are the major concerns. Map hole and tortuga hole with Cliffys. Inlanes need cliffys as well.

Hole - Lee - Crap. And how long was that thing out on route? Wow. (That was a joke). That's awful.
I will keep a eyes on those areas of my PF. Thank goodness Cliff shipped out my order today! Whew.

#2429 4 years ago

Here's my LE

wow....thats pretty bad....

#2430 4 years ago

Heh, but seriously. It had about 2000 games on it when I got it. I think it has around 2500 now. It was on route for a few months. Much less plays than some of the HUO games in the POTC thread.

#2431 4 years ago

JJP the Cadillac of pinball. Muhahaha.

#2432 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

JJP the Cadillac of pinball. Muhahaha.

2170334 (resized).jpg2170334 (resized).jpg
#2433 4 years ago

This thread is entitled "PoTC - Who has playfield cracking & wear around sling posts?" ... it's pretty specific. There wasn't a wide spread net cast to find community members who wanted to add their two cents about the situation

Nor are public topics on the forum for you to decide whose take you want present or not. My posts are on topic, and speak to the conversation at hand. Boo hoo for you it doesn't line up how you want them.

It's a place for people who have the same issue to discuss it, compare notes, work with manufacturers, etc

Hey, guess what... I work with two other local Wonka owners.. and Stern owners.. and have my own recent stern games. And go back and read my posts where I was talking about solutions, discussing it, and noting changes. So, it matters to me too, and I'm actively engaged on the topic with games experiencing the issue as well. So... I am part of the audience, not some random.

The side here is the people who have the issue and want to discuss it and the other side is people who want to come here and exhale their sputum because somehow they feel they are adding to the discussion

No, that's you trying to shutdown things that don't support your personal mission.

If you had information to share about playfield robustness, processes used to make playfields, a story about getting a fix for yours or something of the like, participate away. Otherwise, this isn't the place for you to feel inclusive warm and fuzziness.

Then I invite you to the search bar... because you have no clue apparently. Stop trying to shutdown posts you don't like because they don't agree with your predisposition on the post.

#2434 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

If you look at the start of this thread you will see where we as owners came up with solutions on how to overcome the problems as they occurred. We did not just sit there and cry

And go back and find my posts about clear and washers too.. your point?

Quoted from gumnut01:

Incidentally in another chipping thread I suggested a solution for the post in JP2 that pools and chips next to the upper right flipper. I suggested where a clear plastic shield could be used at the top of this post and span the lane to the right and the other side of the flipper to create rigidity in a 3 post connection. For some reason you downvoted it

Why did I downvote your post? Because your solution was wrong and doesn't address the actual problem - as I noted in the reply.

Do you want me to post photos of all the posts on games that stand up fine without any top or side support? That's not why the post on JP is problematic. It's because it's mounted with a t-nut, not a friction fit post and nylon nut. A plastic on top isn't going to do anything... same way that the slingshot plastics don't keep the the sling starposts from chipping their blisters.

But I guess all you took away was that someone downvoted you. Here's a tissue.

#2435 4 years ago

Is this yours? Just wondering

Yes. I preordered it the day of reveal and waited a long time.

#2436 4 years ago

LE #82 has blistering around sling posts and Tortuga hole post, no chips yet. Minor pooling elsewhere.

#2437 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer67:

LE #82 has blistering around sling posts and Tortuga hole post, no chips yet.

Did you install the JJP POTC "Post Kit" before these issues started to show? Just wondering. Trying to see if the JJP "bandaid" was a solution or
just to slow the inevitable. Thanks!

#2438 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

And go back and find my posts about clear and washers too.. your point?

Why did I downvote your post? Because your solution was wrong and doesn't address the actual problem - as I noted in the reply.
Do you want me to post photos of all the posts on games that stand up fine without any top or side support? That's not why the post on JP is problematic. It's because it's mounted with a t-nut, not a friction fit post and nylon nut. A plastic on top isn't going to do anything... same way that the slingshot plastics don't keep the the sling starposts from chipping their blisters.
But I guess all you took away was that someone downvoted you. Here's a tissue.

I agree it’s not ideal, but I believe top support as well would help. Must be great to be so confident of your own solutions. If you downvote people when they make a suggestion they will stop posting. Then there will only be learned people like yourself left.

And btw, you are the one that complained about being shutdown and your opinion should be heard. But you love stomping on every other person’s opinion. Go back and look at how many times you say “wrong” to people.

#2439 4 years ago

Did you install the JJP POTC "Post Kit" before these issues started to show? Just wondering. Trying to see if the JJP "bandaid" was a solution or
just to slow the inevitable. Thanks!

There are currently rubber washers on the sling posts and I installed star posts and put the strength lower to 16. The blistering around the sling posts hasn't spread yet. The blister around the post on the tortuga hole will chip unless a cliffy is installed and I'm not sure what to call it but there is a rivet-like thing between A and T that has minor blistering that may lead to a chip in the future -- as it has on other PoTC's.

#2440 4 years ago
Quoted from rgzpinx:

POTC CE #28 ... Pooling in multiple areas and some ready to chip.[quoted image]

HOLY S$!@

I am going to go recheck my game TONIGHT.....

#2441 4 years ago

I don't know which side you are arguing or why you are arguing here. You don't see to own the game. We don't know what the long term effects will be, we don't know if the artwork can just be secured back to the playfield. It's all speculation, it's all a gamble. That's why it's up to JJP to step up, give all of the information they know and provide their solutions. The post fix kit isn't any of that. This isn't the end of the world, it doesn't stop you from playing the game, but it also devalues your expensive toy which is partly a speculative investment for some people. In either case, you should be getting what you paid for and no one signed up for chipped playfields.

AMEN!!!!!!

Well said....

Richie is in negotiations and he might be able to flatten out those issues with his pipe wrench.

But on a serious note...I do agree and we or those affected to not agree to sign up for these issues happening on the playfields and I am still hoping that JJP is going to make it right.

image003 (resized).jpgimage003 (resized).jpg
#2442 4 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

This seems like a good idea. Perhaps a list of build-dates and confirmation of issues (yes/no/tbd) would help the manufacturers narrow down bad batches, etc.
I've started a google sheet here. Feel free to fix or edit. If this is a bad idea (for a reason I can't imagine), let me know and I'll take it down.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oL9hUaeVpl_QGFD5z1TGqka4urDbpMmFFRM_a7SV3V8/edit?usp=sharing

I recommend buyers should only volunteer pinside member data linking them to customer purchase information either to the relevant manufacturers themselves or the actual JJP distributor for their country only if they request it for the purposes of resolving the issue at hand.

#2443 4 years ago

*deleted*

(I have the info I need)

#2444 4 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Does anyone here know a good attorney that specializes in corporate law? I'm pretty sure we're at the level of a class-action suit with both Stern and JJP at this point.

If it ends up like most class action suits the attorneys will get millions. Buyers with bad play fields will fill out a bunch of paper work and send in receipts that end up being worth a 10% discount off a new playfield or something similar.

#2445 4 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

If it ends up like most class action suits the attorneys will get millions. Buyers with bad play fields will fill out a bunch of paper work and send in receipts that end up being worth a 10% discount off a new playfield or something similar.

*deleted*

(I have the info I need)

#2446 4 years ago

LE 0488 original owner from a valid distributor
Properly registered first day of ownership
Less than 1 month old
Less than 500 plays on it
Case 3488
Jack himself denied the warranty claim
Star post on now and now are chipping at the star posts even further out
Pisses me off every time I look at it

040455A8-DCAC-49CC-A9BC-8EEAE38D8565 (resized).jpeg040455A8-DCAC-49CC-A9BC-8EEAE38D8565 (resized).jpeg913C35C1-BE76-426C-919C-5B823B3B4A1C (resized).jpeg913C35C1-BE76-426C-919C-5B823B3B4A1C (resized).jpeg
#2447 4 years ago
Quoted from VillaThrills:

Less than 1 month old
Case 3488
Pisses me off every time I look at it[quoted image][quoted image]

That is totally unacceptable...

#2448 4 years ago

Warning blanket statement alert
FACT - the ink is not adhering
FACT - the clear is intentionally soft
FACT - the clear is pulling up the ink
FACT - pooling around posts
FACT - some chipping is occurring
FACT - adding post washers has shown eventually pooling happens around those
FACT - JJP isn't owning their F-up (yeah it's Mircos crap but JJP sold it)
FACT - this is NOT happening on every single machine. The actual percentage is unknown.
FACT - you're entitled to your opinion. You are however NOT entitled to tell others how they should feel or what they can/cannot do. That makes you nothing short of an argumentative asshole and denying facts makes you plain dumb.

#2449 4 years ago
Quoted from VillaThrills:

Less than 1 month old
Case 3488
Pisses me off every time I look at it[quoted image][quoted image]

That’s unconscionable. Absolutely unacceptable. JJP should be embarrassed at the quality of this playfield.

#2450 4 years ago

This just sucks for the current owners! This sucks that they screwed many of you.

I was looking forward to buying a WW and a used PoTC someday. Now I have to wait and hope JJP fixes the issue with the WW. And I have to be ultra picky about any used PoTC.

JJP needs to fix WW and not let it turn into another PoTC.

My money is staying in my wallet until they decide to stop screwing over their customers.

Actions speak louder than words. And I see no action at this point on either the PoTC or WW play field issues.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanted
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 3,006 posts in this topic. You are on page 49 of 61.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-who-has-playfield-dimples-cracking-wear-around-star-posts-/page/49?hl=halfwasted and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.