(Topic ID: 242867)

PoTC - Who has playfield cracking & wear around sling posts?

By harryhoudini

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,006 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinDeadHead
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What kind of issues are you seeing?”

• I have visible dimples but no chipping 47 votes
    22%
  • I can see chipping but haven't done anything yet 69 votes
    32%
  • I can see chipping and installed mylar, washer and/or larger star post 33 votes
    15%
  • My playfield looks fine (but I haven't removed the star posts) 33 votes
    15%
  • I removed the star posts and my playfield looks fine 16 votes
    7%
  • My game had clear washers installed from the factory 16 votes
    7%

(Multiple choice - 214 votes by 202 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8a08956226ce33ab4cbce84ac85256fac4d2c495 (resized).jpg
272de6fede9fee8a8547778ad012df344b85326e (resized).jpg
20200319_164738 (resized).jpg
AEF37959-C604-4A07-B193-2416A6A62929 (resized).jpeg
F10537D7-D970-4859-B5C9-CF482DF29BFA (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200320_103742 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200320_101453 (resized).jpg
917EEAC5-4AC1-4204-BDA8-5497FFCB4BAC (resized).jpeg
83458836-4863-4833-8D88-F5A9E65F9517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3627 (resized).jpeg
20200127_171934 (resized).jpg
Shocked.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
potc2_5234 (resized).jpg
3FC99A16-7187-44B6-811B-16DD827ABC65 (resized).jpeg
20200125_090027 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,006 posts in this topic. You are on page 45 of 61.
#2201 4 years ago

Wow, You guys are finally are growing a pair.

#2202 4 years ago
Quoted from DougPiranha:

Does anyone have a pirates that is not bubbling and chipping?

Yes, mine is not

#2203 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

At least stern is acknowledging the issue and is replacing at least one playfield already.

Yeah, but that initial "tell anyone online and we won't replace your Beatles playfield" stance was not acceptable. I'm assuming it softened?

#2204 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Now that I'm unleashed, I'm going to unleash in my own thread. After getting poked so many times, the bear gets pissed. Grab some popcorn and a drink.

Don't I feel like the biggest farking moron on the forum right now, eh?
Let me clarify... that was 2 nights ago. When I was being all cuddly and warm in this thread. Barely calling anyone out, barely trying to dissuade the people who keep posting in this thread (the thread ABOUT THE PROBLEM) that it isn't a problem, it's over reacting, only a few people have it, no one has it, it's a mirage.. whatever. I thought, "Man... I would feel weird buying mods from someone else if I made all these things, I should offer up some stuff to this dude because he's a nice community guy who helps out and makes fun crap and if he had just made the window mod that I suggested to him I wouldn't even be in the mod business." (Thanks btw) Some of the stuff we are making is not in what seems like the standard wheelhouse for ModCouple, like the chest open mod which jpinball made and we are packaging up as a kit. So like, I'd send him some free junk.
So not only that... but 22 day ago or so, after weeks of people asking for someone to make the Devil's Triangle rocks, I took up the challenge, posted a thread, commented that I'd do it, etc. For 22 days or something, among all the other fun stuff we're making, we took the time to model some rocks to make a cool upgrade or add-on that doesn't copy the original and has some added benefits and features. It takes like 6 hours to print the damn thing and I've done it a few times now. (Btw, ModCouple must have some serious damn printing power to whip those things out like they seem to claim because even farming this stuff out takes a week or so to get back any decent quantity and you'd need a farm of printers to churn out a whole buttload of these but I'm sure I'm missing something).
Not once do I recall, nor can any amount of searching reveal, when anyone else said they would do this. Because what kind of moron wastes 22 days of various time while trying to own multiple businesses, cook some dinners, play some pinball and you know, make a bunch of mods with a known fact that someone is already doing this work? I could very, very, very well be wrong. I can't remember shiz. But as far as I can tell no response to any post I made about our intentions told me not to do it or even said hey, we're going to do that too! Not one post I can find or recall since I started participating in any POTC conversation said someone was making a rock upgrade. Yet, yesterday (now at 2am or so writing this) yelobird announced their "JJP Pirates of the Caribbean "Devil's Triangle" custom rocks mod!"
So you know, all's fair in business. Although I really just wanted to make mods I wanted, other people seemed to think they were good ideas so yea, we started selling mods. Brilliant. My wife loves me, apparently, because she's been downstairs soldering like a madwoman. Someone else made a mod I was working on. Must be a coincidence, must be miscommunication, right? Or they don't want to share what their mod plans are, ya? Smart, right?
It was dismaying, sure. But then I took a look at the pictures of it and damn, that looks pretty similar to the original on my game. I don't have the original memoized, so I went downstairs, grabbed mine off the game and held it up to the computer screen. So I asked if this was a copy of the original? I was told no, this was designed by ModCouple. I snapped a photo of mine at roughly the same angle and tried to lay them over each other as close to proportion and angle as I could.
[quoted image]
The front-most image with the red halo (and some sort of marble base or something it was photographed on) is from The ModCouple website. The rear image (with the background green chair) is the original I just pulled from my game. I mean.... it has an extra peak? Sure, it wasn't molded from the original part.. but.. I mean... huh?
Ok, so I'm just not a savvy business guy... or forum poster.. or customer relations expert... and I can't comprehend posts, I get it. So I went and posted in my own 22 day old thread about the fact that ModCouple released their own version so we would hurry up a 3D rendering of what we have been working on so those who have been following my continual posts could decide which one they want. I mean, I basically advertised THEIR product in my own thread. I called it a copy of the original. Dave was very quick to correct me that it wasn't a copy:

He advertised in my own thread? Yeah he did. Cajones! He advertised his product, in the 3 week old thread where I was prototyping and announcing our product and its development. Ok, no worries. But really if anyone frequents the Merriam-Webster's website you'd know that it IS a copy. A COPY is "a thing made to be similar or identical to another"... so not only was I called out in my own thread, he was WRONG. But you know, I apologized... I removed the word and I went on.
Then someone asked in my thread if we had pics, I said I would get the render posted soon and I didn't want to post pics of the printed ones because they are shells and barely held together and look horrible. It's just a test print, no reason to make it nice. I mentioned how we designed this to be unique, it's an upgrade and original design with some mods to it that sort of add some cool function/design and interactivity. Just trying to explain what we set out to do.
11 minutes later. In the ModCouple's product thread this is posted:
-----------------------------------
Heck yeah it would! Atomic power to generators give us the rum!!! lol Didn't think about an installation photo as the basic shape is very similar to the stock model already on the games. Our goal with this was to offer a very similar vision to what the designer originally wanted. Some minor changes but overall keep to his vision. We love to add components that we feel were missing but rarely do we like to simply do over what was done because we feel smarter or more creative then the artist that created the game. While you could add this to an LE or CE with no problem I can't see Why you would?? What was there was so unique SE buyers wanted to share in that also! So we provided that equalizer. If you want glowing moon rocks with flying bats we may not impress. lol Always appreciate you both (Delt31 and J85M) you both value your games as much as we enjoy creating for them.
-----------------------------------
This was a reply to someone who mentioned BATMAN mods and asked if there were pics of the rocks installed, who doesn't own a POTC. He asked NOTHING ABOUT ANY OF THIS but Dave offered it right up on a silver platter.Now, I'm not a rocket doctor or brain scientist but I can smell a duck pretty good if it's all waddling all over looking like a dumb duck. 11 minutes later. I mean, this is pretty genius.
I'm sure the "original designer" is overjoyed to have his work COPIED and printed on a 3D printer and sold for a fraction of the cost.
But apparently, I'm so dumb that ModCouple had a BANNER SALES MORNING in the 5 hours since he posted and so they have to work the late shift and make more. But massive sales are probably due to the fact that this part is so cheap. I mean, what do the rocks cost from JJP? Like $100+ or more, right? So like $45 or something for the knockoff is a HUGE bargain. Also considering the fact that this is by far the LARGEST 3D printed mod they sell for POTC, yet is around the same price as the fairly small lock bar coins? I mean, if I go price some 3D printed stuff of similar size and density comparison to a batch printing website I can tell you, without any question in the world, that the rock mod will cost a TON to print. A TON. Like, I could barely print the actuating chest mod bracket that is SOLID for what they are selling the rock mod for and it's gotta be hollow as all heck. It sure isn't solid resin cast like the original. It took 6 hours in DRAFT mode on my printer to print the SHELL. Print time is money. But...they are also unobtainable from JJP... from about oh, 2-4 weeks ago? So if you've been clamoring for one of these for a while and a $45 pops up then you'll jump right on that poop. Smart move.
So whatever... beat at a game that wasn't even my own, I'm just dumb . So I'll just leave this festering turd here for everyone to read and make their own informed decisions. You can go find the product threads pretty easily. You can look at the timelines and posts I've made. And I still am VERY accepting of the fact that maybe, maybe Dave posted that he was doing this and everyone was overjoyed and happy and stopped asking about it over and over, but heck if I can find it. Even so.. even if I was just dumb, it's still a peepee move.
I didn't post this bunk earlier because I was being all warm and fuzzy and using these big boxing gloves that are all soft and padded so I didn't hurt anyone's feelings. I told myself, "nope... not going to crap all over his thread, not going to post a new thread, not going to call anyone out because it's pinball and it's fun and we have enough feces with this thread. If people want to buy, let them buy." Jack sure didn't say doodoo about copying the stuff JJP made for the game themselves, right? Just don't copy licensee based IP dung.
I'm pretty sure I got virtually kicked in the pelotas today, err yesterday, and that's not right.

You could get revenge simply by making a Kraken that has the suckers on the UNDERSIDE of the tentacles where they belong, instead of how they made them...

#2205 4 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

You could get revenge simply by making a Kraken that has the suckers on the UNDERSIDE of the tentacles where they belong, instead of how they made them...

Haha, noted!

#2206 4 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

And I’m also out on any NIB (not just JJP) until causes are clearly identified and solutions in place.
Edit: is there a universal thread (not manufacturer specific) about this topic? Perhaps with a poll that would allow people to send a message to all the manufacturers that this needs to change.

There is a thread I started that was Mirco specific, which really seems to be the theme for JJP versus whatever Stern issue is happening.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/have-you-had-any-issues-with-mirco-playfield-quality-

#2207 4 years ago

Change the name to “Mirco, the man who killed pinball. “

#2208 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

There is a thread I started that was Mirco specific, which really seems to be the theme for JJP versus whatever Stern issue is happening.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/have-you-had-any-issues-with-mirco-playfield-quality-

I was thinking more like “I won’t buy any nib pin until this is sorted”
Vs
“I don’t plan to change my pinball purchasing habits due to Playfield issues”

#2209 4 years ago

Well this WAS the spot for the WWCF CE #12 -- It was all nice and ready for it to be inserted in and hopefully before my Annual Pinball Party that I have always have the week before the Chicago Expo.

JJP are you Listening?

20190824_172418 (resized).jpg20190824_172418 (resized).jpgc3e86f1baf6c662f0a5e3294854a50b01ac0107d.jpeg (resized).jpgc3e86f1baf6c662f0a5e3294854a50b01ac0107d.jpeg (resized).jpg
#2210 4 years ago

Do they go out of business replacing playfields for free or do they go out of business because no one wants to pay $10K for problems? Tough choice.

#2211 4 years ago

I guarantee the loss on a playfield is much less than the profit on a new game.

#2212 4 years ago
Quoted from RichieWrench:

Well this WAS the spot for the WWCF CE #12 -- It was all nice and ready for it to be inserted in and hopefully before my Annual Pinball Party that I have always have the week before the Chicago Expo.
JJP are you Listening?[quoted image][quoted image]

Deadpool would fit nicely there.

#2213 4 years ago
Quoted from DarthSinex:

Yes, mine is not

Your game sounds similar to mine.

I said the same thing before it happened. And I protected it right out of the box.

#2214 4 years ago

Mirco stated in his thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/quicksilver-mircoplayfields-available-now
Post #21
He is buying more cnc(s) or possibly other equipment or robots. Why he keeps silent on the Jersey Jack problems is weird! Same with Jack & Company. Maybe something is in the works towards the playfield problems.

#2215 4 years ago

Not sure but JJP is still pushing the $550 offer so if there was something else in the works why would they be doing this?

#2216 4 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Maybe something is in the works towards the playfield problems.

Love the optimism and I hope so. Realistically I think both parties at this point are totally aware of the issues, but are just keep quiet, in order to keep the cash flow coming...

#2217 4 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Love the optimism and I hope so. Realistically I think both parties at this point are totally aware of the issues, but are just keep quiet, in order to keep the cash flow coming...

If they admit liability.

Floodgates open.

Unknown (resized).jpgUnknown (resized).jpg
#2218 4 years ago

Please don't take this offensively, but let's be realistic. I have a small chip, like 2-3 mm around one post and a small bit of pooling around another. Both fully covered by the star post and washer fix kit. So now, no signs of damage or issues on the rest of the machine. This seems to be the typical case. Can we really expect JJP or Stern for that matter to replace the entire populated playfield for a few millimeters of damage/wear? I mean, on most games we just slap a cliffy and move on. I'm just playing Devil's advocate, so don't hit me with 20 downvotes. The game plays great and is a blast. If I ever sell it, the value is still there. I think there probably is an issue with modern clear that needs to be addressed. But for current owners, I guess I'm saying that the vocal folks on this site may be asking too much.

#2219 4 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Please don't take this offensively, but let's be realistic. I have a small chip, like 2-3 mm around one post and a small bit of pooling around another. Both fully covered by the star post and washer fix kit. So now, no signs of damage or issues on the rest of the machine. This seems to be the typical case. Can we really expect JJP or Stern for that matter to replace the entire populated playfield for a few millimeters of damage/wear? I mean, on most games we just slap a cliffy and move on. I'm just playing Devil's advocate, so don't hit me with 20 downvotes. The game plays great and is a blast. If I ever sell it, the value is still there. I think there probably is an issue with modern clear that needs to be addressed. But for current owners, I guess I'm saying that the vocal folks on this site may be asking too much.

Ok but how bout all of us who have chipping elsewhere in addition to what is covered by their fix kit?

#2220 4 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Don’t take offense but this sounds like someone trying to protect resale value. If you have soft clear and pooling it will probably show up in other places. Your PF will certainly have premature wear in the future. I wouldn’t buy it even with a deep discount. Others might just not me personally. If you can’t be vocal about a serious defect to the most important part of a pin then I guess you should never be vocal. Because the clear issue is about as bad as it gets. You will understand when a lot of these used pins hit the market.

#2221 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

Don’t take offense but this sounds like someone trying to protect resale value. If you have soft clear and pooling it will probably show up in other places. Your PF will certainly have premature wear in the future. I wouldn’t buy it even with a deep discount. Others might just not me personally. If you can’t be vocal about a serious defect to the most important part of a pin then I guess you should never be vocal. Because the clear issue is about as bad as it gets. You will understand when a lot of these used pins hit the market.

Not thinking about resale at all. But as a manufacturer, would you replace nearly the entire product for a few millimeters of chipping? Anyway, just putting it out there. I know there is a lot of anger out there on the subject and I'm not trying to provoke.

#2222 4 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Not thinking about resale at all. But as a manufacturer, would you replace nearly the entire product for a few millimeters of chipping? Anyway, just putting it out there. I know there is a lot of anger out there on the subject and I'm not trying to provoke.

I know you say your not thinking about resale but you did say “ if I ever sell the value is still there”. I just happen to disagree that the value is there. It’s not there for someone like me because I am almost guaranteed more issues with that clear down the line. We are not talking about a ramp or pop bumper here. The PF is the foundation of the whole pin. It’s a huge deal breaker for me. Maybe i’m in the minority on this and feel the way I do because of a large background with 90s pins.

#2223 4 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CVuJheFjQJhTMD5A9

#2224 4 years ago

You are not in the minority. I have money set aside for our family’s 1st NEW IN BOX purchase of the Jersey Jacks hopeful release of Toy Story. NO PURCHASE will occur if this playfield issue still exists. 8K plus is a ton of money to spend on a luxury want, not necessity.

#2225 4 years ago

If I owned the machine for a year or 2 then no I wouldn’t expect to get a new play field. When I’ve been an owner for a month and see pooling and now 5 months in I have places with chipping ya I would expect a new play field. I even knew about the problem and was careful to not make the problem worse from the get go. I dont know about you but I plan on keeping my pirates for a very long time. My 30 year old f-14 can be restored to look like brand new. In 30 years my pirates won’t have a play field left. Oh and if you had any pooling the 6 star post only “fix” (I mean hide) your slings. What’s going to happen to your outlanes, chapter select posts, tortuga scoop. In a year when your play field is falling apart like some of ours are I’ll be sure to remind you it was “only” 1-2mm

#2226 4 years ago

I played wonka the other day and enjoyed it. I'll most likely pick one up....after this issue is addressed and fixed.

#2227 4 years ago

Busnesses rise and fall based on their practices. The reality defining profit and loss is summed up with "sometimes you get the Bear, and sometimes the Bear gets you". The true test of a company is what they do when something goes wrong. Anyone can do it right! JJP has made a bed that they have to lie in by offering a self serving solution. I for one have purchased the new playfield based on the choices I was presented. My Grandfather put it to me this way... "Would you rather have a Buffalo shot up your south-side or you shot up the Buffalo's south-side". (JJP is the Buffalo by the way). My playfield has cracked and rippled under several components due to overtightened scoops, posts, and rails to the degree liffy's are ineffective due to it not laying flat. Basically I received a new-in- box playfield that was completely damaged beyond repair. Research and development is sparked when a weakness is detected in your competition and the desires of the consumer market. Someone will figure out how to solve this widespread problem and offer it in their product and capture the market and win my loyalty. "It's just good business". As far as my relationship with JJP is "We have reached the end of the horizon". I won't purchase another JJP product for the simple reason I don't need this S in my life. Their true colors has been exposed. I don't question if I should've purchased the game, I regret the position I was put in after I purchased the game. In conclusion JJP doesn't have the power to succeed or fail, we have that power! The consumer can revoke its desire to purchase from them and the business will fold. Don't give up this fight. "Keep a weathered eye on the horizon" because good things are coming. What ever you choose, or deal you make with JJP "Take what you can and give nothing back"

#2228 4 years ago

here's the thing... if all POTC have the problem, it won't hurt value because you won't be able to buy one that doesn't have that issue

I mean.. decades later we know some era games just have some weaknesses that are common.. and so its about buying an example that has 'less' of the problem.

This is shaping up to be like that unfortunately...

#2229 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

here's the thing... if all POTC have the problem, it won't hurt value because you won't be able to buy one that doesn't have that issue
I mean.. decades later we know some era games just have some weaknesses that are common.. and so its about buying an example that has 'less' of the problem.
This is shaping up to be like that unfortunately...

Didn’t think of it that way. If all the PFs are flawed that actually will help resale value. I will say a PF that has bad clear would be about the worst weakness (as you call it) a pin could have. This is NOT just another pin issue. This is THE pin issue. As in I can’t come up with a bigger problem you could have with your pin.

#2230 4 years ago
Quoted from winsoreric:

Busnesses rise and fall based on their practices. The reality defining profit and loss is summed up with "sometimes you get the Bear, and sometimes the Bear gets you". The true test of a company is what they do when something goes wrong. Anyone can do it right! JJP has made a bed that they have to lie in by offering a self serving solution. I for one have purchased the new playfield based on the choices I was presented. My Grandfather put it to me this way... "Would you rather have a Buffalo shot up your south-side or you shot up the Buffalo's south-side". (JJP is the Buffalo by the way). My playfield has cracked and rippled under several components due to overtightened scoops, posts, and rails to the degree liffy's are ineffective due to it not laying flat. Basically I received a new-in- box playfield that was completely damaged beyond repair. Research and development is sparked when a weakness is detected in your competition and the desires of the consumer market. Someone will figure out how to solve this widespread problem and offer it in their product and capture the market and win my loyalty. "It's just good business". As far as my relationship with JJP is "We have reached the end of the horizon". I won't purchase another JJP product for the simple reason I don't need this S in my life. Their true colors has been exposed. I don't question if I should've purchased the game, I regret the position I was put in after I purchased the game. In conclusion JJP doesn't have the power to succeed or fail, we have that power! The consumer can revoke its desire to purchase from them and the business will fold. Don't give up this fight. "Keep a weathered eye on the horizon" because good things are coming. What ever you choose, or deal you make with JJP "Take what you can and give nothing back"

No Quarter No Parlay for JJP...lol

#2231 4 years ago
Quoted from VillaThrills:

Sad that we are now seeing this on the new Stern JP pins. I am out until the industry figures out the new manufacturing process.

Cannot be that hard for the industry to get it right, just go back to what worked before!
It's not rocket science ffs...

#2232 4 years ago

I Think I am doing a podcast tonight with someone called Kaneda. We are talking about my collection and CE's. So I will let yall know how it goes.

#2233 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

here's the thing... if all POTC have the problem, it won't hurt value because you won't be able to buy one that doesn't have that issue....

I hear what you’re saying here and it makes a certain amount of sense. I can only speak for myself obviously and I will say that I’ll never buy a used POTC with these clear-coat issues. I would love to own this game but if the option is having a game with these issues or nothing, I choose nothing. I need less headaches in my life.

#2234 4 years ago

I Think I am doing a podcast tonight with someone called Kaneda. We are talking about my collection and CE's. So I will let yall know how it goes.

Ask him what he thinks of Robin as a person and admin of Pinside for your icebreaker. Keep bringing it up in various ways during the masturbation session, er...podcast.

#2235 4 years ago

What worked in the past is a great place to start. Just spit balling but, in the automotive industry a few shops have popped up applying clear ceramic to multi thousand dollar paint jobs that will not chip during a rock strike and will provide a high gloss when applied. This is purely a fictitious example of something that could be an alternative to clear coat resisting dimpling and cracking (on the down side this approach may create high ball speeds and travel straight through the back panel). I am just implying that I think it's time for manufacturers to begin thinking outside the box. If existing manufacturers sit on their posterior and stick with the status quo the opportunity will past them by and may come equipped with a patent.

#2236 4 years ago
Quoted from winsoreric:

What worked in the past is a great place to start. Just spit balling but, in the automotive industry a few shops have popped up applying clear ceramic to multi thousand dollar paint jobs that will not chip during a rock strike and will provide a high gloss when applied.

Mirco has offered ceramic finishes for quite a while. Costs more. No idea how good it is for pinball or if any manufacturer paid the extra dough for it. I doubt it.

#2237 4 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

If I ever sell it, the value is still there.

Are you saying that a pin you are interested in is listed as "mint" or "collector" condition. You look at it and it's absolutely the condition they listed it as WITH EXCEPTION to the playfield which has some pretty serious cracking/chipping - but since it's a JJP title and you're willing to pay full asking price and just accept this is the new normal?

#2238 4 years ago

Question is, will you call in at Kaneda's Podcast at 3am?

#2239 4 years ago

Not sure if anyone has looked under their Black Pearl ramp at the posts but I guess from the activity of the pops firing off the sling under there this is another really weak area.

#2240 4 years ago

I just picked up a NIB about 10 days ago. Late build but had the pooling look around the sling posts. I got the wife's hair dryer out today. I took the posts and plastics off, turned the hair dryer on low with heat and went to town. I used a credit card to help press and flatten the pooling back to flat. Worked each spot about 60-90 seconds. The heat applied was able to maneuver the clear and is once again flat, might have even helped with hardening. I reinstalled the posts, washers etc.... centering them absolutely perfect, not over cranking. So far so good, the pooling has not reappeared as of yet. I will report back in a week and let you know if it has held up.

p.S.… JJP, silence is NOT golden, and sending out bigger post to cover up... BRICKSHOT!! Not the way to handle this situation!

#2241 4 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

I just picked up a NIB about 10 days ago. Late build but had the pooling look around the sling posts. I got the wife's hair dryer out today. I took the posts and plastics off, turned the hair dryer on low with heat and went to town. I used a credit card to help press and flatten the pooling back to flat. Worked each spot about 60-90 seconds. The heat applied was able to maneuver the clear and is once again flat, might have even helped with hardening. I reinstalled the posts, washers etc.... centering them absolutely perfect, not over cranking. So far so good, the pooling has not reappeared as of yet. I will report back in a week and let you know if it has held up.
p.S.… JJP, silence is NOT golden, and sending out bigger post to cover up... BRICKSHOT!! Not the way to handle this situation!

Why didn’t you use your hair dryer?

#2242 4 years ago

I am not understanding why you people keep buying games unseen and unplayed. I have stopped doing that years ago. Its not like they are running out of new pinball machines. I hope jjp never releases a new run of potc with the playfield problems fixed, it would make the original run value drop bigtime.

#2243 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Why didn’t you use your hair dryer?

I bic it....

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
#2244 4 years ago
Quoted from mzhulk:

I am not understanding why you people keep buying games unseen and unplayed. I have stopped doing that years ago. Its not like they are running out of new pinball machines. I hope jjp never releases a new run of potc with the playfield problems fixed, it would make the original run value drop bigtime.

FOMO...duh

#2245 4 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

So far so good, the pooling has not reappeared as of yet. I will report back in a week and let you know if it has held up.

I'd honestly removed the posts all together and let the clear further "cure" for the next month or so. Leave it in a un-temp controlled garage.
I'm not sure "heat" does anything to these clear coats - but then there is some universal confusion about the type/chemical makeup Mirco/JJP is using.

#2246 4 years ago
Quoted from mzhulk:

I saw and played a machine before ordering and mine ended up chipping. How would seeing and playing before buying have helped here?

#2247 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I'd honestly removed the posts all together and let the clear further "cure" for the next month or so. Leave it in a un-temp controlled garage.
I'm not sure "heat" does anything to these clear coats - but then there is some universal confusion about the type/chemical makeup Mirco/JJP is using.

If it was just the PF, I'd put it outside in the sun to get UV to help it out.

#2248 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

I saw and played a machine before ordering and mine ended up chipping. How would seeing and playing before buying have helped here?

I assume he’s saying to buy used rather than NIB.

#2249 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

I hear what you’re saying here and it makes a certain amount of sense. I can only speak for myself obviously and I will say that I’ll never buy a used POTC with these clear-coat issues. I would love to own this game but if the option is having a game with these issues or nothing, I choose nothing. I need less headaches in my life.

Not all POTC games have playfield issues.

#2250 4 years ago
Quoted from pickleric:

Not all POTC games have playfield issues.

But a lot of them do, mine being one of them.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanted
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

24,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

There are 3,006 posts in this topic. You are on page 45 of 61.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-who-has-playfield-dimples-cracking-wear-around-star-posts-/page/45?hl=gnarlee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.