(Topic ID: 242867)

PoTC - Who has playfield cracking & wear around sling posts?

By harryhoudini

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,006 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinDeadHead
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What kind of issues are you seeing?”

• I have visible dimples but no chipping 47 votes
    22%
  • I can see chipping but haven't done anything yet 69 votes
    32%
  • I can see chipping and installed mylar, washer and/or larger star post 33 votes
    15%
  • My playfield looks fine (but I haven't removed the star posts) 33 votes
    15%
  • I removed the star posts and my playfield looks fine 16 votes
    7%
  • My game had clear washers installed from the factory 16 votes
    7%

(Multiple choice - 214 votes by 202 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8a08956226ce33ab4cbce84ac85256fac4d2c495 (resized).jpg
272de6fede9fee8a8547778ad012df344b85326e (resized).jpg
20200319_164738 (resized).jpg
AEF37959-C604-4A07-B193-2416A6A62929 (resized).jpeg
F10537D7-D970-4859-B5C9-CF482DF29BFA (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200320_103742 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200320_101453 (resized).jpg
917EEAC5-4AC1-4204-BDA8-5497FFCB4BAC (resized).jpeg
83458836-4863-4833-8D88-F5A9E65F9517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3627 (resized).jpeg
20200127_171934 (resized).jpg
Shocked.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
potc2_5234 (resized).jpg
3FC99A16-7187-44B6-811B-16DD827ABC65 (resized).jpeg
20200125_090027 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,006 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 61.
#101 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

You should remove the tortuga vuk image. Sorry but vuk hole wear is normal. Especially on a routed machine.

LOL, that is not normal for a fairly new low play pin. Glad you have been around 2 seconds and are dang expert.

#102 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Post or clear the buck still stops with JJP

I think that goes without saying...

#103 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

LOL, that is not normal for a fairly new low play pin. Glad you
have been around 2 seconds and are dang expert.

Low play? Where was it posted it was low play? Can you link to the post where the number of plays this routed pin has was shown?

How many plays is low? I have over 1000 plays on my POTC and the VUK looks like new, yet I have the chipped playfield around the posts.

#104 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Low play? Where was it posted it was low play? Can you link to the post where the number of plays this routed pin has was shown?
How many plays is low? I have over 1000 plays on my POTC and the VUK looks like new, yet I have the chipped playfield around the posts.

Still.. these pins haven't even been alive for a year, should there really be cracking on the left side of the VUK? It's a moot point I guess, no sense in continuing to berate it.

#105 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Still.. these pins haven't even been alive for a year, should there really be cracking on the left side of the VUK? It's a moot point I guess, no sense in continuing to berate it.

We can still be friends, I'm still glad you made this thread.

#106 4 years ago

I have a gnr, same posts no issues.

The clear is separating from the Playfield which is either shortcuts in prep or too brittle clear trying to prevent dimples.

I had the same issues with HSA clearcoat because "prevent dimples".

Maybe I'll try drilling out the clear and counter sink the post. Too bad it's such a great game

#107 4 years ago

Hey guys,

Joining the conversation.

I take it JJP has had no official response/action on this yet?

#108 4 years ago

This is my bottom right. Basically every post has cut into the clearcoat. I have ripples in star post under BP ramp. I don’t have franks email. I will just raise a support form.

8A12CDE1-4060-4CC0-B28F-B6CA59000D51 (resized).jpeg8A12CDE1-4060-4CC0-B28F-B6CA59000D51 (resized).jpeg6C361C3F-DD1D-437E-9766-2B62A46F0B4E (resized).jpeg6C361C3F-DD1D-437E-9766-2B62A46F0B4E (resized).jpeg
#109 4 years ago

I voted that my game had "My game had clear washers installed from the factory" but they weren't clear...

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#110 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

I voted that my game had "My game had clear washers installed from the factory" but they weren't clear...[quoted image]

Yours is the only one I've seen like that so far, lucky you

No, no real response from JJP other than the "we'll get back to you" responses.

#111 4 years ago

Is there anyone with a LE that got their game with metal washers?

I’ve only seen them on CE’s so far.

Wonder why the difference in size and material.

#112 4 years ago
Quoted from CraigC:

I have a gnr, same posts no issues.
The clear is separating from the Playfield which is either shortcuts in prep or too brittle clear trying to prevent dimples.
I had the same issues with HSA clearcoat because "prevent dimples".
Maybe I'll try drilling out the clear and counter sink the post. Too bad it's such a great game

Nothing wrong with the posts as long as the bottom is actually flat and doesn’t have a plastic razor blade molded into it.

#113 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

This is my bottom right. Basically every post has cut into the clearcoat. I have ripples in star post under BP ramp. I don’t have franks email. I will just raise a support form.
[quoted image][quoted image]

If you guys don't see this picture as a serious issue you're all damn fools. Clear coat should NEVER roll like this. You guys are in for a major shit storm on those POTC machines.

#114 4 years ago

Yours is the only one I've seen like that so far, lucky you
No, no real response from JJP other than the "we'll get back to you" responses.

What do you mean?

I thought dude at end of page 1 had CE with the same washers?

I am thankful that my game has some kind of washers installed after reading through this horror story.

Those sling posts are UNACCEPTABLE! WTF was JJP doing or thinking.

That is SO sad......

#115 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Suppose the larger size would do better at hiding potential areas of concern?

#116 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Think about this for a minute. Some of the recent build CEs seem to have big metal washers installed. I,m guessing by the time they built Joseph’s machine they already knew about the uneven sharp post and didn’t put them in or sanded them down before install. Yet they still put those big large metal washers in. If the post being put in are not uneven and sharp what is all the extra protection for. Good flat post should mean no worries if that was the only problem. They look to be trying to protect the playfield IMO and that scares me.

#117 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

Think about this for a minute. Some of the recent build CEs seem to have big metal washers installed. I,m guessing by the time they built Joseph’s machine they already knew about the uneven sharp post and didn’t put them in or sanded them down before install. Yet they still put those big large metal washers in. If the post being put in are not uneven and sharp what is all the extra protection for. Good flat post should mean no worries if that was the only problem. They look to be trying to protect the playfield IMO and that scares me.

Maybe BUT why the big metal washers on the CE going back to FEB builds but there have been LE’s picked up in the last two weeks by people and they had the small lexan washers on them?
Makes zero sense

#118 4 years ago

Well mine goes back to December.

#119 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Maybe BUT why the big metal washers on the CE going back to FEB builds but there have been LE’s picked up in the last two weeks by people and they had the small lexan washers on them?
Makes zero sense

Not sure. If someone who paid 10K will be upset someone who paid 12 1/2K would be more upset so more protection/security? I mean how often are new from factory machines giving the huge metal washers treatment in that area. Maybe it’s more common than I,m aware of. Maybe the newest machines have PFs from a recent batch that they think are harder. Something strange here. That’s for sure.

#120 4 years ago

I have never seen it, but that’s not saying much.

My only other game is AFMr (still need to add this to my collection) and has star posts.

#121 4 years ago

This pic would worry me most. It's a star post and the playfield is lifting around it.

20190514_201050 (resized).jpg20190514_201050 (resized).jpg
#122 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

What do you mean?
I thought dude at end of page 1 had CE with the same washers?
I am thankful that my game has some kind of washers installed after reading through this horror story.
Those sling posts are UNACCEPTABLE! WTF was JJP doing or thinking.
That is SO sad......

They are the same washers.

#123 4 years ago

You guys are up shits crick with the clear coat on those. Look at how the clear literally rolled out/away from the post in the one picture. Clear coat shouldn't do that.

#124 4 years ago
Quoted from Tyamry:

They are the same washers.

You said they are difficult to remove as well correct?

I wonder if they glued them down to cover something up.

#125 4 years ago

Couldn't get it up with my fingernail. I guess I could use a knife or screwdriver!

#126 4 years ago
Quoted from Tyamry:

Couldn't get it up with my fingernail. I guess I could use a knife or screwdriver!

I don’t know if I would do that given what we are talking about here! Lol

#127 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

You said they are difficult to remove as well correct?
I wonder if they glued them down to cover something up.

I know jack about clear curing, but maybe it hasn’t and that’s why it’s rolling and sticking?

#128 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I don’t know if I would do that given what we are talking about here! Lol

Sorry just a little sense of humor!

#129 4 years ago

My ce does not have any washers and the clear is rolling. Not chipped yet but just a matter of time.

#130 4 years ago

I'm anxiously waiting for my Dialed In Le and down the road for a Wonka Le as well hoping I have no issues like this. I did have a major rippling in my Clearcoat of a N.I.B. Stern Gaurdians of the galaxy, my Distro contacted Stern and they sent me a new Populated playfield to swap out. Took me 15 minutes and I was up and running, I would hope Jjp would do the same..

#131 4 years ago

My experiment. I went from the small washers to.the larger clear ones. They are very hard so i wasnt sure if that was a good alternative.
I then tried just black rubber washers bet they bowed up a bit when the posts were screwed in. So I had this final idea..
I put the rubber one down with the large clear one on top.
We'll see how it plays and if the slings have any issues with this setup.

20190514_194642 (resized).jpg20190514_194642 (resized).jpg20190514_195956 (resized).jpg20190514_195956 (resized).jpg20190514_201313 (resized).jpg20190514_201313 (resized).jpg
#132 4 years ago
Quoted from Marcdaddy:

I'm anxiously waiting for my Dialed In Le and down the road for a Wonka Le as well hoping I have no issues like this. I did have a major rippling in my Clearcoat of a N.I.B. Stern Gaurdians of the galaxy, my Distro contacted Stern and they sent me a new Populated playfield to swap out. Took me 15 minutes and I was up and running, I would hope Jjp would do the same..

People can say what they want about Stern but they have been more than fair with me. I guess we will see with JJP but I’d say many of us are beyond rippling so yes, new playfields sure would be nice but only if they are good quality with the problem fixed and none of this band aid BS.

#133 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

My experiment. I went from the small washers to.the larger clear ones. They are very hard so i wasnt sure if that was a good alternative.
I then tried just black rubber washers bet they bowed up a bit when the posts were screwed in. So I had this final idea..
We'll see how it plays and if the slings have any issues with this setup.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That looks kind of high

#134 4 years ago

Yeah. About to play a few games and see what happens.

#135 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

We'll see how it plays and if the slings have any issues with this setup.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I think a piece of mylar and then the larger clear washer you are using should be more than enough protection.

#136 4 years ago

For anyone that has had enough with the playfield chipping problem. I'll take that game off of you for 5k.

#137 4 years ago
Quoted from Marcdaddy:

HOLY SHIT. JerseyJack you hear this??

#138 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I'm already having issues with the clear lexan (petg) washers being too tall, others reported the issue as well. The sling "hammer" (whatever that hits the rubber) pops out. Had it happen last night. Not the end of the world, but should not be an issue I should have to deal with. Don't see a way around it aside from trimming the star posts down the same height as the washers.

#139 4 years ago

If JJP is even half the company I was always led to believe they were, then they will resolve this.

They have to. Right?

#140 4 years ago
Quoted from Tyamry:

Hi washingtonian I would REALLY be interested to know what is under those washers.

1. Are they hiding something? Was there a smaller indentation from the sling posts already there and this is covering them up?
2. Did they create an indentation on the playfield in the larger diameter of the washer?
3. Is there any rippling of the playfield in either diameter?

Wondering if you or joseph5185 would be daring enough to look Would be for science!

#141 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

If JJP is even half the company I was always led to believe they were, then they will resolve this.
They have to. Right?

I got stickers for my WOZ. 3 very large stickers... looks better now, but now I have a playfield with stickers. Apparently Stern will send out a populated playfield to solve a rippling issue.. car manufacturers will issue recalls and fix things... JJP seems to be pretty silent on this and I don't think it's helping matters. I don't want to cause ripples with them, I love the games and still want parts, but having a response and remediation would be nice.

Btw... I should say, the internet moves way faster than a corporation does. We definitely need to give them time to formulate a response. What gets my goat, and I think others feel the same, is that they realized the issue some time ago and started putting in place solutions for new games but said nothing to existing owners. Jack himself knew about this 3 months ago and nothing was done. It's not like we just reported this a few days ago. But, I'm definitely wanting to prevail on cooler heads to let them respond in a timely manner.

#142 4 years ago

I saw someone mention placing two mylar circles down on each post. I might consider that tonight.

#143 4 years ago

I had the hammer come out just once with the metal washers.

It was the right side.

Like you said, no big deal. Just put it back.

But it “should not” happen...ever, right?

#144 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

I had the hammer come out just once with the metal washers.
It was the right side.
Like you said, no big deal. Just put it back.
But it “should not” happen...ever, right?

Correct. The posts should hold the rubber at the right height for the hammer to hit it without coming out. And yours had washers from the factory, so that's quite telling.

#145 4 years ago

Correct. The posts should hold the rubber at the right height for the hammer to hit it without coming out. And yours had washers from the factory, so that's quite telling.

Then that’s unfortunate and I’m guessing it will continue to happen.

That’s going to become a problem...quickly.

#146 4 years ago

Guys, I'm sorry but having to resort to double washers under posts is absolutely bananas.
Reading through all of these JJPOTC threads is blowing my mind. Has there ever been a game with this many issues before? I'm truly stunned.
I was hoping to eventually buy a used LE down the road but there is a rolodex worth of crap to check before I'd ever pull the trigger on that deal. I just hope these issues don't continue to get worse for you guys. It's such a great game otherwise. The best JJP IMO.

#147 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I saw someone mention placing two mylar circles down on each post. I might consider that tonight.

I'm going to pull up my PETG ones and see if there is any noticeable issue with the playfield and then consider mylar or not. If there is no issue, I'm debating keeping it that way and dealing with the "hammer" coming out of the rubber. I don't have circle mylar or an easy way to cut it (but might just scissor it) but I have small squares, enough to do one piece under each.

One reason I think my PETG solution is good and might be better and not leaving an indentation is that the washer holes are the exact size of the metal posts inside the star posts. So I had to literally screw the washers on to the posts. Then when I screwed the posts into the playfield I was able to go very light on the tension. The screwed in washer was very tight up against the star post before putting it in the playfield so I think that is holding the washer up away from the playfield ever so slightly.

Shit, now I'm going to make a video on this whole fiasco.

#148 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Guys, I'm sorry but having to resort to double washers under posts is absolutely bananas.
Reading through all of these JJPOTC threads is blowing my mind. Has there ever been a game with this many issues before? I'm truly stunned.
I was hoping to eventually buy a used LE down the road but there is a rolodex worth of crap to check before I'd ever pull the trigger on that deal. I just hope these issues don't continue to get worse for you guys. It's such a great game otherwise. The best JJP IMO.

Dude, you'll get a fantastic deal

#149 4 years ago

Dude, you'll get a fantastic deal

Haha, no kidding.

#150 4 years ago

Hi washingtonian I would REALLY be interested to know what is under those washers.
1. Are they hiding something? Was there a smaller indentation from the sling posts already there and this is covering them up?
2. Did they create an indentation on the playfield in the larger diameter of the washer?
3. Is there any rippling of the playfield in either diameter?
Wondering if you or joseph5185 would be daring enough to look Would be for science!

I tried again and it's not coming off. A screwdriver would do it but I am pretty sure the playfield would come up with it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,006 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 61.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-who-has-playfield-dimples-cracking-wear-around-star-posts-/page/3?hl=ilushka85 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.