(Topic ID: 242867)

PoTC - Who has playfield cracking & wear around sling posts?

By harryhoudini

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,006 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinDeadHead
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What kind of issues are you seeing?”

• I have visible dimples but no chipping 47 votes
    22%
  • I can see chipping but haven't done anything yet 69 votes
    32%
  • I can see chipping and installed mylar, washer and/or larger star post 33 votes
    15%
  • My playfield looks fine (but I haven't removed the star posts) 33 votes
    15%
  • I removed the star posts and my playfield looks fine 16 votes
    7%
  • My game had clear washers installed from the factory 16 votes
    7%

(Multiple choice - 214 votes by 202 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8a08956226ce33ab4cbce84ac85256fac4d2c495 (resized).jpg
272de6fede9fee8a8547778ad012df344b85326e (resized).jpg
20200319_164738 (resized).jpg
AEF37959-C604-4A07-B193-2416A6A62929 (resized).jpeg
F10537D7-D970-4859-B5C9-CF482DF29BFA (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200320_103742 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200320_101453 (resized).jpg
917EEAC5-4AC1-4204-BDA8-5497FFCB4BAC (resized).jpeg
83458836-4863-4833-8D88-F5A9E65F9517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3627 (resized).jpeg
20200127_171934 (resized).jpg
Shocked.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
potc2_5234 (resized).jpg
3FC99A16-7187-44B6-811B-16DD827ABC65 (resized).jpeg
20200125_090027 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,006 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 61.
#1601 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

So....you really must feel sorry for JJP I guess, very high level of empathy to do such a thing.

I think the empathy pool needs to be focused here, with fellow users.

Ultimately, does money in our bank accounts, and feeling more comfort than pain from pleasure bound purchases, matter less?

I'm guessing no investors, owners, etc, are fretting as much about their pins and lifestyles, as much as we do on a daily basis.

That's not to say pitchforks should be raised, but without customers, these companies don't exist. So yes, the idea of wanting these pinball manufacturers to continue onward is a very lovely idea, but so is them doing so hand in hand along with us, valuing their customers' issues, rather than ignoring/turning a blind eye to them.

This has not been proactive on their part, and I don't feel good about that.

#1602 4 years ago

To beat the dead horse, I want nothing more than for JJP to succeed. I literally want all the JJP games, haven't ever even owned a Stern but this is my 3rd JJP. I'm in their camp. It's just not right to try and make the customer share in the expense to fix a manufacturing mistake. Oh wait, not share in the expense but EAT THE WHOLE EXPENSE!

zaphX they want they customer to eat the expense of the playfield and the install. What exactly is JJP doing to help the customer?

#1603 4 years ago

Is there a consensus to the best fix for the slingshot posts? As a future WW owner, I'd like to know.

Thanks,
Mike

#1604 4 years ago
Quoted from mjruser:

Is there a consensus to the best fix for the slingshot posts? As a future WW owner, I'd like to know.
Thanks,
Mike

On the 6 games local I have played I did not see an issue. However if you wish to add a safety a simple nylon washer from any Ace Hardware will work nicely and only cost a few pennies. Congrats can't Wait for our Wonka to arrive soon!

#1605 4 years ago

JJP has their own fix, they send out a kit with some hard washers of two sizes and larger posts if you need them to cover damage. I believe that is what is in it.

Otherwise the overwhelming consensus is rubber washers and double starposts. Sticked in this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-who-has-playfield-dimples-cracking-wear-around-star-posts-/page/9#post-4999401

#1606 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

On the 6 games local I have played I did not see an issue. However if you wish to add a safety a simple nylon washer from any Ace Hardware will work nicely and only cost a few pennies. Congrats can't Wait for our Wonka to arrive soon!

You saying 6 WW or POTC that you've played?

#1607 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

So....you really must feel sorry for JJP I guess, very high level of empathy to do such a thing.

Eh, it’s not a huge stressor for me so yeah I guess I do.

#1608 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

You saying 6 WW or POTC that you've played?

He asked about Wonka, I answered his question. Yes Wonka.

#1609 4 years ago

I haven't posted my experience with chipping yet but I think with the activity today it might be useful to share so people can form opinions based on more information. In fact, before all the activity in the thread today I had a conversation with someone at work telling them about my chipping issue, and in that conversation I mentioned to the person that there had been a lot of activity on Pinside about the playfield cracking issue in the past month or so but I prefer to keep my interactions with JJP private to give them a chance to work through it and respond to me. Also in that conversation I said I understand my issue is out of the warranty period so I know they don't have an obligation to do anything about it, however ALL I EVER ASKED FROM THEM FROM THE BEGINNING WAS THE QUESTION "WHAT DO THEY RECOMMEND DOING TO LAY THE CHIP DOWN AND MINIMIZE THE CHANCE OF IT SPREADING SO I CAN RESUME PLAYING MY MACHINE?" I don't think that's an unreasonable ask. I just want to take their recommended approach to the chip and then get back to playing my machine.

It wasn’t until my 2nd follow-up call in 4 weeks of no responses that they did anything, and that was to reach out to the playfield manufacturer for ideas. I have been very patient with them to give them time to provide even just minimal assistance with this straightforward question, but it just has not happened. IT'S BEEN 6 WEEKS NOW SINCE MY FIRST PHONE CONVERSATION WITH THEM AND THEY'VE HAD NO RESPONSE TO WHAT I THINK SHOULD BE A QUESTION THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO ANSWER - "WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND DOING TO LAY THE CHIP DOWN SO I CAN GET BACK TO PLAYING MY MACHINE?" People on Pinside might have ideas about what to do, but I want advice from JJP since it's their business and their product.

Seeing the activity in the forum today has made me rethink my patience, so here goes:

Bottom line is that I do realize the terms of the warranty are against me. While I understand and accept that fact I'm still very, very disappointed that it's been over 6 weeks with no response to my question. I understand how they handle my and other people's issues are business decisions and they're free to make their choices. I also understand that their choices influence my future purchases (and there will be future purchases), so I'll be making a different choice when it comes to which manufacturer I buy the next machine from.

For me that's what it really comes down to is choices made by both sides and how each side feels about the choices made by the other. I'm not happy they've chosen to not provide a response to a very straightforward question on my issue. I'm not happy that the foundation of the game (the playfield) had an issue within well less than a year of ownership. I gritted my teeth and bought the replacement playfield in case this chip eventually gets worse or some other issues pop up, and I'm not happy they chose to have me pay shipping for the replacement playfield. The impression I've formed through my conversations with them is that it sounded to me like JJP is just outsourcing the playfield with nobody on JJP staff who has enough of an understanding of the playfield painting process or chemistry to know how that playfield is made or what could cause issues with the art and clear coat lifting, let alone having ideas on how to lay a chip back down. My impression is their staff is just more focused on the mechanical and electronic aspects of the games and they just blindly rely on their playfield supplier. My impressions may be incorrect, but it's what I've been left with after 6 weeks of nothing but a few mostly empty phone conversations.

It’s a shame really because the game itself is really so amazing with fun shots and features. But right now I have no confidence JJP can provide good service or make sure the foundations of their games (the playfields) are built to last one year, let alone several years, so I don’t imagine I’ll be interested in picking up another one of their games for many years. Again, they can choose to operate and provide service however they see fit, and I can choose to base my future purchases on how I feel about that.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinions but my opinion is that my machine should not have this type chip on the playfield inside of a year and, since it does, JJP should be able to give advice in less than 6 weeks on how to lay it down so I can move on to continue playing pinball. I also think it's interesting that the other machine I own is a used STTNG (originally from 1994) I purchased at the same time as my JJPPOTC and the STTNG playfied is excellent with no restorations that I'm aware of outside regular cleaning and waxing. For a machine that apparently has a bit of a reputation about maintenance issues, my STTNG has been better than my NIB JJPPOTC.

Again, I only post this to relay my experience so others can make their own decisions and form their own opinions about JJP's handling of a playfield issue even when the only thing JJP is being asked for is some advice.

Here's the timeline of my contact with JJP on this:

1) In late May I did a cleaning on my machine and discovered a chip with the art and clear coat lifting near the base of the movable post in front of the "I" lane. I had never moved the post and nothing except a pinball had touched it since it was delivered.

2) I'm the original owner of my machine. When my game was delivered in December I read the warranty terms and I registered my machine within 5 days of purchase. The game has been home use only. I understand the game is out of the warranty period but I contacted them because I thought they could provide help by offering a suggestion as to how best to lay the chip down to prevent future spreading and continue playing.

3) On finding the chip I immediately stopped playing the machine. After a couple weeks I got around to sending an e-mail to JJP with pictures of the chip. My e-mail said only the following: "I’ve seen that a fix kit is being issued for chipping issues at the sling posts on POTC. On my machine I have a chip lifting up at the base of the movable post near the “I” lane, even though I have never moved the post. Will the kit being issued also work on this “I” lane post? Also, can you recommend the best way to repair the chip and prevent further lifting? Should I glue it down or put Mylar over it (or do you recommend something else be done)? Attached are pictures of the chip. I’d really appreciate any advice you can give me."

4) Out of concern my e-mail might not be received, I called. Good thing I did because it turned out my e-mail had gone to their spam folder and was unseen. The phone conversation was mostly just gathering facts about the problem and there wasn't any real course of action laid out at the end of it, so I gave it a few days.

5) Three days later I called again just to get a better idea of what the course of action was going to be to resolve my question which, again, was essentially "What would someone at JJP do to lay down the chip and try to prevent further spreading if their machine had this issue?" I was told they'd check with people involved with production and they'd get back to me. Meanwhile I'd read on Pinside that a replacement playfield could be purchased, so, although I wished I didn't think it was a good idea, I asked to purchase one in case a patch for this chip didn't hold well and/or other issues popped up in the future. I paid their asking price plus shipping. I explained I still would like an answer to my question about how best to lay the chip down, but that I'm getting the replacement playfield in the event things get worse down the road or new issues pop up.

6) Two weeks later I hadn't heard anything, so I called to follow up. I had to explain my issue again, and then was told they hadn't heard anything from the people in the production area. Then I was asked what I expect to get out of this call. I said I understand is it's a 30-day warranty and I'm outside that, but what I'd like is just an answer to the question "What would someone at JJP do to lay down the chip and try to prevent further spreading if their machine had this issue?" I was told that yes, I definitely deserve a response to that question and they'll work to get one.

7) Another two weeks later I hadn't heard a peep, so I called again. I was put through exactly the same conversation as two weeks prior, even including the "Nobody in production has responded" and "What do you expect to get out of this call?" comments. I said again I understand my machine is out of warranty and JJP has no obligation to do anything, but I'd really appreciate it if someone could be my advocate on the question of "What would someone at JJP do to lay the chip down and try to prevent further spreading?" Again I was told I deserve an answer to my question and was told they might have to reach out to the manufacturer for advice on it, and they said give it a day and they'll get back to me. At the end of the next day I received an e-mail that they had reached out to the manufacturer.

5 days later I received an e-mail saying the manufacturer is on holiday. It's now been another 5 days since then and 6 weeks total since my first phone call with no answer to the question, "What should I do to lay the chip down and try to prevent future spreading of it?"

JJPOTC Playfield Chip (resized).jpgJJPOTC Playfield Chip (resized).jpgJJPOTC Playfield Chip 2 (resized).jpgJJPOTC Playfield Chip 2 (resized).jpgJJPOTC Playfield Chip 3 (resized).jpgJJPOTC Playfield Chip 3 (resized).jpg
#1610 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Cool, I just wasn't sure (and damn crazy that you have 6 Wonka close to you). I think I only have one within driving distance.

No pooling of clear around the posts on any of those WW, like a few people have posted?

#1611 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

I haven't posted my experience with chipping yet but I think with the activity today it might be useful to share so people can form opinions based on more information. In fact, before all the activity in the thread today I had a conversation with someone at work telling them about my chipping issue, and in that conversation I mentioned to the person that there had been a lot of activity on Pinside about the playfield cracking issue in the past month or so but I prefer to keep my interactions with JJP private to give them a chance to work through it and respond to me. Also in that conversation I said I understand my issue is out of the warranty period so I know they don't have an obligation to do anything about it, however ALL I EVER ASKED FROM THEM FROM THE BEGINNING WAS THE QUESTION "WHAT DO THEY RECOMMEND DOING TO LAY THE CHIP DOWN AND MINIMIZE THE CHANCE OF IT SPREADING SO I CAN RESUME PLAYING MY MACHINE?" I don't think that's an unreasonable ask. I just want to take their recommended approach to the chip and then get back to playing my machine.
It wasn’t until my 2nd follow-up call in 4 weeks of no responses that they did anything, and that was to reach out to the playfield manufacturer for ideas. I have been very patient with them to give them time to provide even just minimal assistance with this straightforward question, but it just has not happened. IT'S BEEN 6 WEEKS NOW SINCE MY FIRST PHONE CONVERSATION WITH THEM AND THEY'VE HAD NO RESPONSE TO WHAT I THINK SHOULD BE A QUESTION THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO ANSWER - "WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND DOING TO LAY THE CHIP DOWN SO I CAN GET BACK TO PLAYING MY MACHINE?" People on Pinside might have ideas about what to do, but I want advice from JJP since it's their business and their product.
Seeing the activity in the forum today has made me rethink my patience, so here goes:
Bottom line is that I do realize the terms of the warranty are against me. While I understand and accept that fact I'm still very, very disappointed that it's been over 6 weeks with no response to my question. I understand how they handle my and other people's issues are business decisions and they're free to make their choices. I also understand that their choices influence my future purchases (and there will be future purchases), so I'll be making a different choice when it comes to which manufacturer I buy the next machine from.
For me that's what it really comes down to is choices made by both sides and how each side feels about the choices made by the other. I'm not happy they've chosen to not provide a response to a very straightforward question on my issue. I'm not happy that the foundation of the game (the playfield) had an issue within well less than a year of ownership. I gritted my teeth and bought the replacement playfield in case this chip eventually gets worse or some other issues pop up, and I'm not happy they chose to have me pay shipping for the replacement playfield. The impression I've formed through my conversations with them is that it sounded to me like JJP is just outsourcing the playfield with nobody on JJP staff who has enough of an understanding of the playfield painting process or chemistry to know how that playfield is made or what could cause issues with the art and clear coat lifting, let alone having ideas on how to lay a chip back down. My impression is their staff is just more focused on the mechanical and electronic aspects of the games and they just blindly rely on their playfield supplier. My impressions may be incorrect, but it's what I've been left with after 6 weeks of nothing but a few mostly empty phone conversations.
It’s a shame really because the game itself is really so amazing with fun shots and features. But right now I have no confidence JJP can provide good service or make sure the foundations of their games (the playfields) are built to last one year, let alone several years, so I don’t imagine I’ll be interested in picking up another one of their games for many years. Again, they can choose to operate and provide service however they see fit, and I can choose to base my future purchases on how I feel about that.
Everyone's entitled to their own opinions but my opinion is that my machine should not have this type chip on the playfield inside of a year and, since it does, JJP should be able to give advice in less than 6 weeks on how to lay it down so I can move on to continue playing pinball. I also think it's interesting that the other machine I own is a used STTNG (originally from 1994) I purchased at the same time as my JJPPOTC and the STTNG playfied is excellent with no restorations that I'm aware of outside regular cleaning and waxing. For a machine that apparently has a bit of a reputation about maintenance issues, my STTNG has been better than my NIB JJPPOTC.
Again, I only post this to relay my experience so others can make their own decisions and form their own opinions about JJP's handling of a playfield issue even when the only thing JJP is being asked for is some advice.
1) In late May I did a cleaning on my machine and discovered a chip with the art and clear coat lifting near the base of the movable post in front of the "I" lane. I had never moved the post and nothing except a pinball had touched it since it was delivered.
2) I'm the original owner of my machine. When my game was delivered in December I read the warranty terms and I registered my machine within 5 days of purchase. The game has been home use only. I understand the game is out of the warranty period but I contacted them because I thought they could provide help by offering a suggestion as to how best to lay the chip down to prevent future spreading and continue playing.
3) On finding the chip I immediately stopped playing the machine. After a couple weeks I got around to sending an e-mail to JJP with pictures of the chip. My e-mail said only the following: "I’ve seen that a fix kit is being issued for chipping issues at the sling posts on POTC. On my machine I have a chip lifting up at the base of the movable post near the “I” lane, even though I have never moved the post. Will the kit being issued also work on this “I” lane post? Also, can you recommend the best way to repair the chip and prevent further lifting? Should I glue it down or put Mylar over it (or do you recommend something else be done)? Attached are pictures of the chip. I’d really appreciate any advice you can give me."
4) Out of concern my e-mail might not be received, I called. Good thing I did because it turned out my e-mail had gone to their spam folder and was unseen. The phone conversation was mostly just gathering facts about the problem and there wasn't any real course of action laid out at the end of it, so I gave it a few days.
5) Three days later I called again just to get a better idea of what the course of action was going to be to resolve my question which, again, was essentially "What would someone at JJP do to lay down the chip and try to prevent further spreading if their machine had this issue?" I was told they'd check with people involved with production and they'd get back to me. Meanwhile I'd read on Pinside that a replacement playfield could be purchased, so, although I wished I didn't think it was a good idea, I asked to purchase one in case a patch for this chip didn't hold well and/or other issues popped up in the future. I paid their asking price plus shipping. I explained I still would like an answer to my question about how best to lay the chip down, but that I'm getting the replacement playfield in the event things get worse down the road or new issues pop up.
6) Two weeks later I hadn't heard anything, so I called to follow up. I had to explain my issue again, and then was told they hadn't heard anything from the people in the production area. Then I was asked what I expect to get out of this call. I said I understand is it's a 30-day warranty and I'm outside that, but what I'd like is just an answer to the question "What would someone at JJP do to lay down the chip and try to prevent further spreading if their machine had this issue?" I was told that yes, I definitely deserve a response to that question and they'll work to get one.
7) Another two weeks later I hadn't heard a peep, so I called again. I was put through exactly the same conversation as two weeks prior, even including the "Nobody in production has responded" and "What do you expect to get out of this call?" comments. I said again I understand my machine is out of warranty and JJP has no obligation to do anything, but I'd really appreciate it if someone could be my advocate on the question of "What would someone at JJP do to lay the chip down and try to prevent further spreading?" Again I was told I deserve an answer to my question and was told they might have to reach out to the manufacturer for advice on it, and they said give it a day and they'll get back to me. At the end of the next day I received an e-mail that they had reached out to the manufacturer.
5 days later I received an e-mail saying the manufacturer is on holiday. It's now been another 5 days since then and 6 weeks total since my first phone call with no answer to the question, "What should I do to lay the chip down and try to prevent future spreading of it?"[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Holy fuck.

#1612 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Thanks for the replies!

Mike

#1613 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

5 days later I received an e-mail saying the manufacturer is on holiday. It's now been another 5 days since then and 6 weeks total since my first phone call with no answer to the question, "What should I do to lay the chip down and try to prevent future spreading of it?"[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Jesus christ....

This is worthy of it's own thread.

Sounds very akin to my experience.

Frank, who has always been very patient and pleasant to speak with, regarding repairing my tear, that that wasn't his speciality. I understood.

Weeks later, no followup call from anyone at JJP that COULD actually help me repair my tear.

So, we make games, but can't give advice repairing them, or actually help give you resources with no cost for you, to repair them. Excellent....

So now we're at....at least...three Pirates owners not buying past, current or future pins.

#1614 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I guess the impedance mismatch here is that I am ok "meeting them halfway" because I want them to keep making great pinball machines. Not everyone in the thread is. I do respect your opinions and emotions on the issue.
I strongly suspect the $550 playfield offer is cost. If they were to give those free, to all 1000 buyers, that is a $550k loss.
I'm sure we all agree what a great game POTC is, otherwise everyone would be dumping them and moving on.
Do you want to make the best pinball game made in the last decade a complete financial failure for them?

I'd guess nobody wants any pinball (or other) company to suffer, but the reality is some companies bring it on themselves with their lack of quality, service, or both. It's up to customers to decide what to purchase, and purchasing often isn't a feel-good or charity action. Your post was written during the hour I spent putting together my story and posting it. My post unfortunately runs crazy long, but the summation is this: I have chipping at my movable "I" Lane post when the only thing that's touched the post is a pinball. The ONLY thing I asked JJP for was advice on how best to lay the chip down and try to prevent it from spreading so I can move on and play pinball. In 6 weeks now they've been unwilling or unable to respond (or both). I've been very patient keeping this to myself and giving them a chance to provide their advice, but that's not something I can get behind and support any more. A company in the business of making pinball machines should be able to provide a response to that straightforward question in less than 6 weeks (and counting).

#1615 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

“What do you expect to get out of this call?”

What kind of putz is instructing the support staff to ask a customer that question?

#1616 4 years ago

Mirco really needs to be more on the line for these problems. He is the source of the playfields in Germany and uses a $100k printer on wood, from what he told me at TPF in 2018. There is something in the process producing these defects. The chipping shouldn't be happening to this degree with a properly prepared playfield. But this has been a problem for other manufacturers as well. It seems reasonable that Mirco himself would guarantee the quality of the work. If not, perhaps JJP should turn to CGC to do their playfields in the future, using the time proven silk screen method.

#1617 4 years ago

Has anyone reached out to Mirco?

Chips are a sign of a hard playfield where the paint and topcoat are 'popped' apart from the wood (or primer) due to ball impact or force of leverage on posts. On the other hand, there are reports of ripples (bunching) of the playfield and tears. Some tears it seems are due to pulling the star posts out of the field as they are large originating from the star post and getting smaller as it goes out. You wouldn't expect a soft playfield to chip and you wouldn't expect a hard playfield to bunch up or tear. I'm not HEP, but this seems like doggy logic to me, perhaps I'm wrong.

So why are some boards chipping (hard) and others are tearing or bunching (soft)? At least one of the pictures appears to show deep indentations into the wood itself.

Those posts without a flat bottom truly were SHIT (on you JJP) however, there certainly appears to be issues at the board manufacturing level and perhaps Micro might be able to chime in as to the best way to mitigate these issues.

Would I consider a Mirco TZ playfield at this point, I'm not sure.

#1618 4 years ago
Quoted from mjruser:

Has anyone reached out to Mirco?

Search the thread. Several people have, including myself in multiple ways. Mirco responds to sales requests immediately, any other contact went ignored.

#1619 4 years ago

@dts you posted a few seconds before I finalized my post, but I agree with you. Mirco is on the hook on this one from what I'm seeing.

#1620 4 years ago

Search the thread. Several people have, including myself in multiple ways. Mirco responds to sales requests immediately, any other contact went ignored.

I'm sorry I only made it through 1/2 of the posts and then spent the majority of my time combing through the photo evidence. Which led me to believe it was ALSO a playfield issue as it's more than just the terrible star posts. There are issues beyond the star posts, that we wouldn't expect to see on a machine this new.

Darn..sad to hear Mirco is as unresponsive as JJP on this issue.

Edit: Has there been any reported issues with other Mirco playfields or is it just POTC?

#1621 4 years ago
Quoted from mjruser:

I'm sorry I only made it through 1/2 of the posts and then spent the majority of my time combing through the photo evidence. Which led me to believe it was ALSO a playfield issue as it's more than just the terrible star posts. There are issues beyond the star posts, that we wouldn't expect to see on a machine this new.
Darn..sad to hear Marco is as unresponsive as JJP on this issue.

Ok just for clarity its Mirco not Marco they are awesome! lol Hate to drag anyone else into this accidentally.

#1622 4 years ago

Already edited it.. get most of my parts from them...they are awesome

#1623 4 years ago

I think Mirco is being very wise in his silence...
I have personally dealt with Mirco in the past on a whitewater playfield issue...
my experience with him was not positive, he was very quick to point fingers at me for anything wrong with a brand new whitewater playfield. I dont want to drag on but he is not the most professional person to deal with when there are issues, he takes it very personally. And tried to make the matter personal. I would love to hear his input on this

Ironically I made this post just earlier on the Mirco thread

Quoted from Soulrider911:

As much as I was excited for the creature playfield remake... after what I’m dealing with on my JJP pirates, I’m very hesitant to buy one. But am happy for you all that are getting them and best of luck!

#1624 4 years ago

JJP has their own fix, they send out a kit with some hard washers of two sizes and larger posts if you need them to cover damage. I believe that is what is in it.
Otherwise the overwhelming consensus is rubber washers and double starposts. Sticked in this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-who-has-playfield-dimples-cracking-wear-around-star-posts-/page/9#post-4999401

This is the same essential kit offered by Spooky. It's industry standard these days.

#1625 4 years ago

I guarantee they make more than $500 per game. If there was a master list of every part on the machine and its cost im sure everything adds to a pretty penny. But bottom line is those gi led boards that they value at 60-70 bucks is literally a $5 part to have manufactured and you cant tell me there is not skin on the bone somewhere. If they came out and said (with proof) that the cost of the playfield is $550 (which is prolly right if a CONSUMER gets something at cost however when you order 1000 like a manufacturer the cost should be much less like say $350-400) and they were selling them as low as possible. From there they should paying for the shipping as well as include random JJP swag for the troubles.

*Edit Yes MARCO is awesome. When I put in those $400 random part orders with 200 different things on it. It is inevitable that something is wrong. Missing bulb wrong screw whatever it was they had a replacement on the way within a day (even let me sneak a item I forgot one time). And to top it all off if you catch them at a pin show free shipping and if you chat them up you can haggle the prices a bit (think i got an extra $10 off at TPF on top of the discounts that were already posted) and every little bit counts

#1626 4 years ago

I just can't see why a manufacturer who touts themselves as the best of the best would treat their customers this poorly when there is quite definitely an obvious problem. Playfield art should not be delaminating from the wood and coming up this soon on ANY machine...not even a machine that gets the nuts played off it for a year in Sunshine Laundromat. DI has been on my radar for a long time, but JJP is now a hard pass for me going forward until this situation is rectified and their customers are made whole. Unacceptable customer service.

As far as Mirco goes, you guys need to look at what he tried to pull on the guy in Canada (John) making repro Stern playfields. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mirco-exclusive-classic-stern-parts-manufacturer
This should tell you all you need to know about the kind of company Mirco is. I am disappointed JJP even chooses to align themselves with this guy. I am not at all surprised Mirco is dodging answering for this situation.

#1627 4 years ago
Quoted from dts:

It seems reasonable that Mirco himself would guarantee the quality of the work. If not, perhaps JJP should turn to CGC to do their playfields in the future, using the time proven silk screen method.

I´m totally amazed they are using mirco-crap for wonka.
The cat must be totally out of the bag, so why?

#1628 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

It takes time for a Lawyer to draft a response. Their question regarding what you expect from your call appears to be Legal bait.

#1629 4 years ago

Does the JJP kit include washer/protectors for the single bare posts (like the I lane)?

If so, could someone post a pic and size?

#1630 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Does the JJP kit include washer/protectors for the single bare posts (like the I lane)?
If so, could someone post a pic and size?

IMG_1177.jpegIMG_1177.jpegIMG_1178.jpegIMG_1178.jpegIMG_1179.jpegIMG_1179.jpeg
#1631 4 years ago

I'm hesitant to wade into this thread but I do have what appears to be a little bubbling around some of the sling posts on my Wonka SE. I have not removed any of the posts, etc for close inspection, but I am considering putting down the neoprene washers just to get ahead of the curve.

#1632 4 years ago
Quoted from mjruser:

I'm not HEP, but this seems like doggy logic to me, perhaps I'm wrong.

shutterstock_184417925.jpgshutterstock_184417925.jpg
#1633 4 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

I'm hesitant to wade into this thread but I do have what appears to be a little bubbling around some of the sling posts on my Wonka SE. I have not removed any of the posts, etc for close inspection, but I am considering putting down the neoprene washers just to get ahead of the curve.

Go to Lowe’s and buy the neoprene washers ASAP!

It won’t chip with these in place.

Other areas like movable posts keep a very very close eye on as there is no fix at the moment if that chips and chunks out like your seeing on POTC.

#1634 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The issue with that kit is it raises the rubber and allows the hammer to escape once in a while. Double star posts fixed that for me.

#1635 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

The issue with that kit is it raises the rubber and allows the hammer to escape once in a while. Double star posts fixed that for me.

I had zero hammer escapes in close to 300 games played since installing regular star posts ordered from Marco.

I think it’s a trial and error fix. Although JJP engineering recommended the std stars as was sent in their fix kit.

I did dial sling power down a bit as that is a contributing factor to the damage.

#1636 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I did dial sling power down a bit as that is a contributing factor to the damage.

Hum, that was the first thing I noticed on the WW I played that the slingshots were turned WAY down, like 40% of what you would expect.

#1637 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I had zero hammer escapes in close to 300 games played since installing regular star posts ordered from Marco.
I think it’s a trial and error fix. Although JJP engineering recommended the std stars as was sent in their fix kit.

Do you recall off hand what you dialed them down to? Mine seem ok but every little bit can't hurt as a precaution. Thanks.

#1638 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Do you recall off hand what you dialed them down to? Mine seem ok but every little bit can't hurt as a precaution. Thanks.

I ended up dropping mine to the lowest possible. Not sure if that's 12 or lower. I figure if post impact and stress is part of the issue, why not lower it completely. It's not like the hammer is *poofing* the sling gently.

#1639 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I ended up dropping mine to the lowest possible. Not sure if that's 12 or lower. I figure if post impact and stress is part of the issue, why not lower it completely. It's not like the hammer is *poofing* the sling gently.

Hey, theres no "Poofing" for Pirates! lol

#1640 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Just took a look for you, 16 has been working great since I installed the std posts and washers.

Off to see the Stones!

#1641 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Just took a look for you, 16 has been working great since I installed the std posts and washers.
Off to see the Stones!

Thanks!!! Cool show have a great time!!

#1642 4 years ago

Very interesting thread.

My experience with JJP led me to write them off permanently, in addition to any NIB game with a Mirco playfield. It's become evident that Mirco playfields are rushed and prone to chipping. Of all the current pf manufacturers, IMO they are at the bottom of the barrel. But back to JJP....

I was an early Dialed In LE buyer. In short, my game had every documented problem the game was known to have - chips all over the playfield, rubber flakes everywhere from sub-standard rubber, ripped target on QED guy, torn cabinet decals, left ramp return ball flying out, etc. I wrote to Jack. He tried weaseling out by offering me RadCals (who TF wants this for a defective game?). I told him that he personally said to my face that JJP is the "Mercedes of pinball" which is why I bought the game and now I'm here to cash the check his mouth wrote. I told him that I wanted a new populated playfield. After spending $9000 on a pinball machine, sorry - I'm not doing a piece-by-piece pf swap on my dime. Apparently they didn't have the logistics to do this (!) at the time, so he refused. He then ignored my emails and calls for days. I called my disty, who's very well known and he [took action - don't want to say what he said/did with JJP] and they exchanged my entire game for a newer build. My disty is the man.

In the end, I got what I wanted, but JJP had little interest in doing this without [disty action], so I'll never buy another one again. I'm heartbroken to see that they are STILL dicking people around years later with legit defects. Lower your prices or overhaul your supply chain, JJP. This ain't it.

#1643 4 years ago

I am not implying anything here, I am just wondering based on @mrgregb123's post. Some companies post a warrant canary, a page which states they have NOT been contacted by law enforcement or had to divulge personal information. Since they are typically placed under gag orders they couldn't say HEY THE GOVT IS TAKING STUFF but they can remove that page which indicates they have been compromised and you should be suspect. In other words, they constantly maintain a "positive denial" until there is such cause as they can no longer maintain that stance.

In the same vain, does anyone have something similar to a NDA for anything JJP has done or provided for them? Unless the NDA specifically states you can't confirm the existence I would think you could state yes or no.

Again, no implication, just wondering if others are getting taken care in a different way.

#1644 4 years ago

I know Jack or his daughter is reading this. I cant help but wonder what his reaction is to this thread. Its funny all the badmouthing he did of Stern and what a crap product they sold and his games are more money and have equal problems. Screw you Jack.

#1645 4 years ago

Hey Jack,

Nice way to treat these hard working Americans. Shame.

#1646 4 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I know Jack or his daughter is reading this. I cant help but wonder what his reaction is to this thread. screw you Jack

I think he's reading the Jurassic Park 2 thread. I heard they're renaming it "A dark night for JJP..."

#1647 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I think he's reading the Jurassic Park 2 thread. I heard they're renaming it "A dark night for JJP..."

I was thinking that earlier, how this could cut into Wonka sales.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but the art looks more fun, layout more intriguing, and theme more effectively used than Wonka.

#1648 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I was thinking that earlier, how this could cut into Wonka sales.
Can't believe I'm saying this, but the art looks more fun, layout more intriguing, and theme more effectively used than Wonka.

As a PL fan, and somone that owns a DI, from what I've seen of Wonka I wasn't waxing my balls to buy one. Of course I have only watched it not played it and I always give a game a chance, but reading all this noooo way; OUT

#1649 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

theme more effectively used than Wonka

Not so sure about that, Wonka has the main actors from the movie in the artwork, clips from the movie on the LCD and callouts from the film. At this early stage the rumours are that Stern's Jurassic Park will not use any clips from the film and, from the pics we have seen, only one of the actors in the movie appears in the artwork.

#1650 4 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Not so sure about that, Wonka has the main actors from the movie in the artwork, clips from the movie on the LCD and callouts from the film. At this early stage the rumours are that Stern's Jurassic Park will not use any clips or callouts from the film and, from the pics we have seen, only one of the actors in the movie appears in the artwork.

OOOF. The only pic I've seen (it was a BAD resolution pic) because I haven't followed this at all yet looked bad. If there is not movie integration why even bother.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

29,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 3,006 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 61.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-who-has-playfield-dimples-cracking-wear-around-star-posts-/page/33?hl=eaglepin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.