(Topic ID: 242867)

PoTC - Who has playfield cracking & wear around sling posts?

By harryhoudini

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,006 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinDeadHead
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What kind of issues are you seeing?”

• I have visible dimples but no chipping 47 votes
    22%
  • I can see chipping but haven't done anything yet 69 votes
    32%
  • I can see chipping and installed mylar, washer and/or larger star post 33 votes
    15%
  • My playfield looks fine (but I haven't removed the star posts) 33 votes
    15%
  • I removed the star posts and my playfield looks fine 16 votes
    7%
  • My game had clear washers installed from the factory 16 votes
    7%

(Multiple choice - 214 votes by 202 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8a08956226ce33ab4cbce84ac85256fac4d2c495 (resized).jpg
272de6fede9fee8a8547778ad012df344b85326e (resized).jpg
20200319_164738 (resized).jpg
AEF37959-C604-4A07-B193-2416A6A62929 (resized).jpeg
F10537D7-D970-4859-B5C9-CF482DF29BFA (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200320_103742 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200320_101453 (resized).jpg
917EEAC5-4AC1-4204-BDA8-5497FFCB4BAC (resized).jpeg
83458836-4863-4833-8D88-F5A9E65F9517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3627 (resized).jpeg
20200127_171934 (resized).jpg
Shocked.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
potc2_5234 (resized).jpg
3FC99A16-7187-44B6-811B-16DD827ABC65 (resized).jpeg
20200125_090027 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,006 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 61.
#1251 4 years ago

Started the rear down, so far chipping is only in 2 spots that I have found. But more important Che k out how pitted the balls aw and here is why, they have been hitting the exposed t-nut in the map hole. This is getting dremmelled down

F2683534-C641-4E99-A903-68FD8695495A (resized).jpegF2683534-C641-4E99-A903-68FD8695495A (resized).jpeg
#1252 4 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Started the rear down, so far chipping is only in 2 spots that I have found. But more important Che k out how pitted the balls aw and here is why, they have been hitting the exposed t-nut in the map hole. This is getting dremmelled down[quoted image]

I was going to say, that's what I noticed immediately in your photo. Two of my five balls had one or two nicks on them, before I trimmed that tnut. Not nearly that bad.... Those look like actual cannon balls!

#1253 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I was going to say, that's what I noticed immediately in your photo. Two of my five balls had one or two nicks on them, before I trimmed that tnut. Not nearly that bad.... Those look like actual cannon balls!

Yea...isn’t that only theory? This was discussed at length in another thread.

I haven’t had any issues with this. Do need to get some replacement balls on order however.

#1254 4 years ago

Problem solved very carefully ground off the protruding t nut
1605C6EF-2F64-41EF-9F5E-8B6A426BB03B (resized).jpeg1605C6EF-2F64-41EF-9F5E-8B6A426BB03B (resized).jpeg
Also flame polished the main ramp
4EF1F180-CDB3-4772-AC35-360D3D5FEFE6 (resized).jpeg4EF1F180-CDB3-4772-AC35-360D3D5FEFE6 (resized).jpeg

#1255 4 years ago

Problem solved very carefully ground off the protruding t nut
[quoted image]
Also flame polished the main ramp
[quoted image]

Woah... flame polished?

#1256 4 years ago

joseph5185 yes, it’s kinda an acquired skill, takes time, and I practiced a lot in scrap pieces. But I used novus2 to basically scuff the ramp, and then the flame literally melts a thin layer of the plastic - being very careful - and ends up crystal clean

#1257 4 years ago

Found some Chipping under the chest, the fork openings. Put some
Superglue down, and if need be some Mylar to prevent getting worse. Looks like the Edge if the fork has been rubbing and lifted some clear and caused chipping
5A47F47F-7E8F-4FF3-9B08-A0A72575A921 (resized).jpeg5A47F47F-7E8F-4FF3-9B08-A0A72575A921 (resized).jpeg

#1258 4 years ago

Started the rear down, so far chipping is only in 2 spots that I have found. But more important Che k out how pitted the balls aw and here is why, they have been hitting the exposed t-nut in the map hole. This is getting dremmelled down[quoted image]

Stuff like this should not happen. To me, it looks like a weak area that enginering should have been aware of. It is poor quality control. Poor inspection practices. I won't say poor engineering, but engineering should be aware of every square inch of a play field design and construction. Pro-active engineering would be anticipating hign-risk areas like this. You should send this pic to JJP. For the kind of money they charge, they have no excuse for something as simple as a T-post protruding near a cutout.

#1259 4 years ago

Found some Chipping under the chest, the fork openings. Probably going to put some Mylar down to prevent getting worse. Looks like the Edge if the fork has been rubbing and lifted some clear and caused chipping[quoted image]

If would protect the play field in the area and use a little super glue to make that solid again. Superglue should work fine, but if it does not you can always resort to mylar.

#1260 4 years ago

My POTC is perfect and it already has 2000 plus plays. Not a scratch. Because of this thread I decided to order cliffy's because why not? But so far so good.

#1261 4 years ago

Found some Chipping under the chest, the fork openings. Put some
Superglue down, and if need be some Mylar to prevent getting worse. Looks like the Edge if the fork has been rubbing and lifted some clear and caused chipping
[quoted image]

I’ve got the exact same chip.
Done nothing about it yet.....

I wonder if some Cliffy’s should be made for under the chest, covering both fork slots. Then again it could bind on them I guess

#1262 4 years ago

@gumnut01 funny i was thinking the same thing, I think it would help, and if the metal piece is deep enough should not bind. Ill ask him

#1263 4 years ago

Found more chipping on the ball drop inlanes.
inlane (resized).jpginlane (resized).jpg

Adding Cliffy's
cliffy (resized).jpgcliffy (resized).jpg

#1264 4 years ago

Yeah, I posted I had that a while ago too... added cliffys. Is your game also 10 years old?

#1265 4 years ago

harryhoudini exactly 10 years old and over 10k plays lol

#1266 4 years ago

harryhoudini exactly 10 years old and over 10k plays lol

ordered my cliffys in May, still haven't received them, but luckily I had 4 extra Slot protectors lying around.

#1267 4 years ago

Ha ... same thing with me, at least with another cliffy order. Actually, a few vendors have the slot protectors in stock now.. I got some from PBL previously. So, search around if someone needs them.

#1268 4 years ago

Got em all in

map (resized).jpgmap (resized).jpgscoop (resized).jpgscoop (resized).jpg
#1269 4 years ago

Got em all in[quoted image][quoted image]

Good job. I thought the scoop would be carbon to stop it from lifting. Cliffy switched to carbon for World Cup because of the lifting issue. Anybody having there tortuga lift?

#1270 4 years ago

gumnut01 I’m not sure why it’s not carbon, on my woz it is, one thing with carbon however, it is slightly thicker.

#1271 4 years ago

gumnut01 I’m not sure why it’s not carbon, on my woz it is, one thing with carbon however, it is slightly thicker.

Maybe the extra post on the right keeps it down. Even though mine lift on World Cup I don’t think it affects the ball. You have done an amazing job btw. Well done!

I have the older metal ones on World Cup.

1 week later
#1272 4 years ago

Well, looks like the issue is still prominent even on brand new Wonkas, I just saw this post in the Wonka Thread

ca69006690d7197ad7e348004fd3b29f89614dd4 (resized).jpgca69006690d7197ad7e348004fd3b29f89614dd4 (resized).jpg
#1273 4 years ago

Well, looks like the issue is still prominent even on brand new Wonkas, I just saw this post in the Wonka Thread[quoted image]

This is just pathetic that they haven't solved this issue and would let it happen on their latest release. I sure won't be buying any newer JJPs.

#1274 4 years ago

It's crazy to me also. In my opinion, it's not JJP's fault directly. However, they are the ones that need to put their foot down and actually do something about it... Its the playfield manufacturer, Mirco...

I have a Whitewater Playfield that is a Mirco... but it sat for 5 months, and I have no bubbling, mushrooming... Without the proper time for the clear to truly set and harden... this will continue to happen... AND, from what I gather they are adding chemicals to speed the clear coat "settling" process.... but this does ZERO favors to the actual hardness of the clear.

#1275 4 years ago

It's crazy to me also. In my opinion, it's not JJP's fault directly. However, they are the ones that need to put their foot down and actually do something about it... Its the playfield manufacturer, Mirco...
I have a Whitewater Playfield that is a Mirco... but it sat for 5 months, and I have no bubbling, mushrooming... Without the proper time for the clear to truly set and harden... this will continue to happen... AND, from what I gather they are adding chemicals to speed the clear coat "settling" process.... but this does ZERO favors to the actual hardness of the clear.

As long as we keep buying and tolerating this garbage they will likely never fix this.

I’m beginning to think they could care less.

But at least you get a shiny new game.

#1276 4 years ago

If the problem is cure time is thst Mircos responsibility, or JJPs?

#1277 4 years ago

You think that is bad? What about this?

4209443B-33AA-4F42-B8BD-2D8CD75FAD21 (resized).jpeg4209443B-33AA-4F42-B8BD-2D8CD75FAD21 (resized).jpeg
#1278 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

You think that is bad? What about this?[quoted image]

That isn’t good but not as bad as all the chipped POTC pf’s.

Shit...if that is all I had going on I’d be happy at this point.

Pull the post and see if it’s chipped.

#1279 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

You think that is bad? What about this?[quoted image]

What game is that......?

#1280 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

What game is that......?

Our Beatles

#1281 4 years ago

Ooooh. Okay, thought so! Was worried it was Wonka.

That's awful. I'm really sorry man. And the artwork on that game is so vibrant!

#1282 4 years ago

Psw757 just wait. If nothing is done to relieve that bulge, and game is continued to be played it will Indefinitely crack then separate... your just seeing stage 1...

#1283 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Ooooh. Okay, thought so! Was worried it was Wonka.
That's awful. I'm really sorry man. And the artwork on that game is so vibrant!

gonna grab some updated photos of Beatles on Friday. Sadly cracking and bubbles getting worse over time.

#1284 4 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

If the problem is cure time is thst Mircos responsibility, or JJPs?

Most, if not all, manufactures place requirements on their suppliers. Just-in-time inventory and all of that. It is the constant battle to shift the costs to someone else and then let the "someone else" worry about how to make it happen.

When I was painting aircraft small parts for a living we had bake ovens. Paint, bake for an hour, let cool, turn over and paint the other side, let bake foe an hour and the polyurethane paint was cured. The parts were boxed and out of the shop before shift change.

I don't think a wooden play field could be baked with out causing all kinds of problems. So, I'm guessing the play fields have to air dry. Dry to the touch but not fully cured.

Nobody wants a stack of inventory hanging to cure for months at a time. Time is money. I would lay the blame on JJP and Stern for "rushing" to production.

#1285 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Nobody wants a stack of inventory hanging to cure for months at a time. Time is money. I would lay the blame on JJP and Stern for "rushing" to production.

I dont think it is blame that any of us want to see... I prefer accountability.

I think BOTH/ ALL are accountable and need to step up to fix the problem.

#1286 4 years ago

Appears to be getting worse and ain’t pretty under even the ones that are not as bad as slings

0563E18A-7426-4A6B-AD66-D7EF69060AF7 (resized).jpeg0563E18A-7426-4A6B-AD66-D7EF69060AF7 (resized).jpegC69E1F5F-9C6F-4E9D-AFFE-6E3C33E32332 (resized).jpegC69E1F5F-9C6F-4E9D-AFFE-6E3C33E32332 (resized).jpegEA02571B-5C3E-447B-BFFD-8DFD767ECF55 (resized).jpegEA02571B-5C3E-447B-BFFD-8DFD767ECF55 (resized).jpegB1BC91D0-C258-4F8B-B419-8FCBEEB5493C (resized).jpegB1BC91D0-C258-4F8B-B419-8FCBEEB5493C (resized).jpeg
#1287 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Appears to be getting worse and ain’t pretty under even the ones that are not as bad as slings[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

What is the build date?

#1288 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Appears to be getting worse and ain’t pretty under even the ones that are not as bad as slings[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Sorry to see that this is happening to your beautiful pin. What does stern say?

#1289 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

God that's horrible.... I appreciate the update. I wonder what the best protective measure would be?

This is why I'm paranoid about installing star posts. I fear doing so only could increase the damage area, and wonder if a neoprene washer helps alleviate that or worsen.

#1290 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

God that's horrible.... I appreciate the update. I wonder what the best protective measure would be?
This is why I'm paranoid about installing star posts. I fear doing so only could increase the damage area, and wonder if a neoprene washer helps alleviate that or worsen.

Those posts are hollow, I wonder if solid posts would spread the load better and not cause this.

#1291 4 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

Those posts are hollow, I wonder if solid posts would spread the load better and not cause this.

I would bet a very similar result... soft clearcoat is well... soft, and this is the result of cranking down hardware on clear that is not hard.

#1292 4 years ago

I would bet a very similar result... soft clearcoat is well... soft, and this is the result of cranking down hardware on clear that is not hard.

Yeah, I'm at the point of, if there's pressure, this will occur. So is spreading more pressure, well across a wider radius, a good thing?

#1293 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Yeah, I'm at the point of, if there's pressure, this will occur. So is spreading more pressure, well across a wider radius, a good thing?

Pressure is reduced by distributing the load across a greater area.

#1294 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I dont think it is blame that any of us want to see... I prefer accountability.
I think BOTH/ ALL are accountable and need to step up to fix the problem.

I'll give you accountability. But I do not agree that both are accountable. Well, maybe both are accountable, but I would place most of the accounting on JJP or Stern. I bought a Munsters LE from Stern; I did not buy a play field from Mirco.

All Mirco can do is produce a play field and advise its customers of adequate curing times required for polyurethane finishes. But, I assume, both Stern and JJP have in-house engineers who are aware of the properties of polyurethane paint. In some cases, I feel sorry for industrial engineers because it has to be a very critical deficiency for engineering to advise management to shut down production. And then management is going to want the engineer's head on a stick. You just don't shut down production.

But then, here is Mirco using this newer ceramic clear. I don't know anything about ceramic clear and Googling "ceramic clear" does not bring up much. Maybe the ceramic is part of the problem.

All kinds of things could be happening behind the scenes.. Maybe Mirco was late in producing some play fields and they got a short cure time but were "cured enough" to head down the production line.

Anything that was not part of the manufacturing plan could have happened. And someone in the factory had to make the decision to push on.

I'll be interested is knowing how Stern addresses the costly mistake on your Beatles play field.

#1295 4 years ago

If he can get those posts off without chipping his Beatles PF it might be good to put some of those neoprene washers beneath that are just wider than the base of the star post. They don’t seem to be sinking in.

Some have had success in getting it to smooth out a bit in the less severe cases.

#1296 4 years ago

No... physics.

Just like snowshoes not sinking in snow. More contact area with the same force = less pressure

You would be reducing how much you are "pressing down" on the finish

Of course the end result could still be "too much" - but it would be different and better. And why they are trying to combat it with washers

#1297 4 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

The solid post would spread out the load better but would also displace more clear if it was soft enough. I,m sure these companies are trying every post they have to help this issue. Because using different posts is such a easy, cheap solution if it was that it would have been fixed long ago.

#1298 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

No... physics.
Just like snowshoes not sinking in snow. More contact area with the same force = less pressure
You would be reducing how much you are "pressing down" on the finish
Of course the end result could still be "too much" - but it would be different and better. And why they are trying to combat it with washers

I agree, I just didn’t go to that specificity of definition but good analogy.

#1299 4 years ago

My ripples were flattened out by the neoprene under the star post. Think of a depression on grass after a weight has been resting on it, that’s what I see when I lift up the rubber washer. There is no bunching up or rippling that can occur to the sides. I have put hundreds of games on and it looks great around the posts I have added washers too. And post no matter how large will penetrate the clear if it is tightened down too much. You need something soft underneath. Rubber protects, why do you think we have condoms?
Stop screwing your machines people. Add protection.

#1300 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

What is the build date?

Will have to look. We bought it along with Munsters so from first batch. I assume it cured for the few months between build and when we bought.

Quoted from gumnut01:

Sorry to see that this is happening to your beautiful pin. What does stern say?

Sadly At this point, very little.
At first is was radio silence for over a month. Multiple contacts to both distributor that were passed along to stern and direct to stern, went ignored.

Now they asked for more photos and want to see if it is getting worse!

I am not sure why it would matter. This PF is dickered and they need to send a replacement. Really no question in my mind. I am not sure why it was not their immediate response.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

24,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Wanted
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 3,006 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 61.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-who-has-playfield-dimples-cracking-wear-around-star-posts-/page/26?hl=joseph5185 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.