(Topic ID: 242867)

PoTC - Who has playfield cracking & wear around sling posts?

By harryhoudini

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,006 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinDeadHead
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What kind of issues are you seeing?”

• I have visible dimples but no chipping 47 votes
    22%
  • I can see chipping but haven't done anything yet 69 votes
    32%
  • I can see chipping and installed mylar, washer and/or larger star post 33 votes
    15%
  • My playfield looks fine (but I haven't removed the star posts) 33 votes
    15%
  • I removed the star posts and my playfield looks fine 16 votes
    7%
  • My game had clear washers installed from the factory 16 votes
    7%

(Multiple choice - 214 votes by 202 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8a08956226ce33ab4cbce84ac85256fac4d2c495 (resized).jpg
272de6fede9fee8a8547778ad012df344b85326e (resized).jpg
20200319_164738 (resized).jpg
AEF37959-C604-4A07-B193-2416A6A62929 (resized).jpeg
F10537D7-D970-4859-B5C9-CF482DF29BFA (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200320_103742 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200320_101453 (resized).jpg
917EEAC5-4AC1-4204-BDA8-5497FFCB4BAC (resized).jpeg
83458836-4863-4833-8D88-F5A9E65F9517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3627 (resized).jpeg
20200127_171934 (resized).jpg
Shocked.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
potc2_5234 (resized).jpg
3FC99A16-7187-44B6-811B-16DD827ABC65 (resized).jpeg
20200125_090027 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,006 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 61.
#1001 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Works for me! I like a deal anytime.

Wouldn’t have expected anything else from the three usual suspects on here.

#1002 4 years ago

Assuming that $550 includes shipping? These are for sale on the website for $999...

http://store.jerseyjackpinball.com/Parts/Pirates-of-the-Caribbean-Parts/Pirates-of-the-Caribbean-Playfield.html

#1003 4 years ago

I am tempted to buy a pf and send it out to Kruzman for a better clear

#1005 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Wouldn’t have expected anything else from the three usual suspects on here.

Hold up whats that response for?? You asked if I would take that deal and I answered???? If (like Most) JJP is going to offer a fire sale on playfields why would I not be interested. If I am one of the "three usual suspects" that are cheap asses then Yes I am in. Again, you asked a question no need to take a personal jab?

#1006 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Hold up whats that response for?? You asked if I would take that deal and I answered???? If (like Most) JJP is going to offer a fire sale on playfields why would I not be interested. If I am one of the "three usual suspects" that are cheap asses then Yes I am in. Again, you asked a question no need to take a personal jab?

Hey, it’s nothing personal but there are a couple of folks here who take the side of JJp can do no wrong...go back and read the thread. I’ve gotten many pm’s from others who seem to feel the way I do at the moment and are working together for a better solution.
I’m not storming JJP hdq with a pitchfork and blasting individuals over there but this shouldn’t end up costing all of us a $1000 to make things better. If there is a cost it should fall on JJP, the owner can then swap themselves or pay. Jmho.

Again, I personally love this game and am still playing the crap out of it despite the issues but the PF is going downhill.

Not sure what else to say.

Looks like we all get to eat a shit sandwich on this one.

Edit - I forgot to mention I did ask since I’m not that far from factory if I bought a new PF and brought my damaged one in would they be able to assist in swapping? Answer a very quick no and I’m on my own for that.

#1007 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Works for me! I like a deal anytime.

It's not a deal if you originally intended to buy a game with a good playfield that didn't need replacing.

But yeah, you save $450 purchasing another pf you thought you never needed Sweet deal!

#1008 4 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

It's not a deal if you originally intended to buy a game with a good playfield that didn't need replacing.
But yeah, you save $450 purchasing another pf you thought you never needed Sweet deal!

Also considering the hours it takes to do a swap.

#1009 4 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Also considering the hours it takes to do a swap.

the playfield swap would take me 1 year as I wouldn't know what they hell to do!

#1010 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

the playfield swap would take me 1 year as I wouldn't know what they hell to do!

I don’t think most of us are properly setup to do this and there are many more things to screw up.

#1011 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I don’t think most of us are properly setup to do this and there are many more things to screw up.

You wouldn't do this, nor should you commission it to a pro to do for these minor issues unless your immediate intent is to sell the game.

I'd do this like 10-15 years down the road if the playfield really needs it, and routed games of course much sooner.

#1012 4 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

I am tempted to buy a pf and send it out to Kruzman for a better clear

I think everyone interested should demand that JJP offers an uncleared version (which would cut initial cost) and send it to Ron Kruzman. Seriously I cannot recommend him enough. Mircos clear coat is just terrible.

#1013 4 years ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

You wouldn't do this, nor should you commission it to a pro to do for these minor issues unless your immediate intent is to sell the game.
I'd do this like 10-15 years down the road if the playfield really needs it, and routed games of course much sooner.

That’s a fair point but really depends on how quickly the game starts looking like trash, correct?

At the end of the day, it will need to be swapped at some point on our dime.

#1014 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

I think everyone interested should demand that JJP offers an uncleared version (which would cut initial cost) and send it to Ron Kruzman. Seriously I cannot recommend him enough. Mircos clear coat is just terrible.

They are selling PF’s they already have on hand so likely not realistic.

Would be a nice option to have though.

#1015 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

They are selling PF’s they already have on hand so likely not realistic.
Would be a nice option to have though.

I bet they'd procure to meet this issue's demand as needed- it doesn't say in the release, "while supplies last."

#1016 4 years ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

I bet they'd procure to meet this issue's demand as needed- it doesn't say in the release, "while supplies last."

Have you even spoken with anyone over there?

I specifically asked two weeks ago when they made me this offer how quick do I need to decide if I’m going to buy.

The answer was you probably have a month or so, depends on how quick they sell out. I take that as a while supplies last offer.
Maybe something has changed but that was right from the horses mouth and not electronically given.

#1017 4 years ago

Well... at least we got a response from JJP. Not sure where/how that message was relayed. I've signed up on the JJP email list several times, never got one email from them. I emailed them several times about this issue, never got one update from them. I don't understand what their issue is with customer communication.

Personally, I appreciate that they are giving any sort of option on a playfield. Is it the "right" amount? No, as most of us agree it should be closer to the $300 range or whatever their cost is. They shouldn't be making any money on this. I don't think there are any other options at this point. No one is going to spend the time/money taking any sort of legal action to save a few hundred on a single playfield.

#1018 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Well... at least we got a response from JJP. Not sure where/how that message was relayed. I've signed up on the JJP email list several times, never got one email from them. I emailed them several times about this issue, never got one update from them. I don't understand what their issue is with customer communication.
Personally, I appreciate that they are giving any sort of option on a playfield. Is it the "right" amount? No, as most of us agree it should be closer to the $300 range or whatever their cost is. They shouldn't be making any money on this. I don't think there are any other options at this point. No one is going to spend the time/money taking any sort of legal action to save a few hundred on a single playfield.

They are typically rather responsive anytime I have emailed or called and update via email or have master LTG call quickly. Is it possible as you are not the registered Buyer of the game you are not on their email list? I wouldn't take is personal if your not getting notifications as long as they offer solutions via the website.

#1019 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

They are typically rather responsive anytime I have emailed or called and update via email or have master LTG call quickly. Is it possible as you are not the registered Buyer of the game you are not on their email list? I wouldn't take is personal if your not getting notifications as long as they offer solutions via the website.

I specifically signed up for their email list several times because I figured something must have gone wrong as they must be sending out new product info (Wonka, etc) which I never got.

I emailed with Frank several times regarding this specific issue, sent pictures, etc. My last two replies from him were "I'll get back to you", never got a further reply. Shannan got my first email on this topic (my initial ask about how JJP handles this kind of issue) so she also knew I was inquiring.

I also sent a few other emails to Frank (techsupport) recently on different topics (Maelstrom ramp broken and chest mounting bracket broken) and got no reply at all.

But, if I leave a voice message for tech support Lloyd usually calls me back very quick.

So it's an odd mix. I shouldn't have to check their website constantly for updates. I don't see why they don't post here, there is a forum dedicated to their company and it's easy enough to copy/paste their announcements and hit an entire group of targeted individuals.

I tried to join the owners Google Group (emailed Jen) and she tried to add me but she said I was already added but when I try to access the group I get a permissions error. (Really, Google Groups?!)

So yea.. I've come to the realization that it's hit and miss with a small manufacturer and I just have to be persistent if I need a response. Shannan has been, by far, the most responsive and has always taken care of any orders I needed or any warranty issues. She has gone to bat for me and come up with amicable solutions (like to the broken chest mount).

PS - btw, I did try to buy a POTC new but at the time there were not any LEs out there that I could find and JJP couldn't tell me which distributors had any POTCs so that is how I ended up with used. I would have bought new if the option was out there. At the time I didn't even know any SE existed (which it seems is still a question for people posting on pinside).

#1020 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

So for those of us contemplating a new PF, is everyone happy with $550?

It is what I offered way back when this first popped up in October. Glad they finally agree. Don’t know that I will ever do a NIB again after this with this price point. But overall happy with the outcome.

#1021 4 years ago

How many hours do you think it would take to change the whole playfield?
I guess you have to start marking all wires and nuts/bolts, then document everyone of them.
Maybe video during disasembly etc?

So, are we talking 80 hrs? More?

#1022 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

I guess you have to start marking all wires and nuts/bolts, then document everyone of them.

You get an 80 hour bonus activity with your $10k+ machine!

#1023 4 years ago

I don’t have time for that...absolutely absurd.

If I’m going to have to pay, I’d rather just buy a populated PF for the convenience.

How much are these at discount? $1000? 1200?....?

#1024 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

I'm doing my JP right now, my TOM is mostly apart and I've done a Cyclone. It's taking longer because I'm replacing parts (switches, targets, etc) on the JP and I did it on the Cyclone but all in all it is definitely a few weekend project if it were just a straight swap. Ideally you have two rotisseries (either Home Depot made ones, or bike stand ones, they are all documented in pinside) so you can put the playfields side by side and swap as much over individually as possible. Things like lighting boards, individual mechs, etc. JJP does spade connectors for their coils so that makes it easy lighting has connectors, etc. So it's a lot of unplugging and plugging and screwing and unscrewing. I would say someone who has the right tools and is adept at mechanical work should be able to do it in two weekends. Maybe 40-60 hours of work if you go slow and meticulous. A ton of pictures as you disassemble in case you miss something is a huge help.

#1025 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I don’t have time for that...absolutely absurd.
If I’m going to have to pay, I’d rather just buy a populated PF for the convenience.
How much are these at discount? $1000? 1200?....?

A populated playfield? It's got to be at least $3k cost to us. The mechs alone are expensive not to mention the time to install them all. The packaging of it and shipping will also not be cheap.

#1026 4 years ago

A populated playfield? It's got to be at least $3k cost to us. The mechs alone are expensive not to mention the time to install them all. The packaging of it and shipping will also not be cheap.

Yeah I wasn’t really thinking about that.

Just really frustrated with this whole situation.

#1027 4 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

So if your playfield is messed up you have to buy a new one for $550 plus shipping? Dang. I was really thinking my next game would be a jjp but this makes me concerned.

Not cool.

#1028 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

I guess it wouldnt be like doing a 30 year old game where you are rebuilding worn mechs along the way...30 hrs should be plenty of time

#1029 4 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I guess it wouldnt be like doing a 30 year old game where you are rebuilding worn mechs along the way...30 hrs should be plenty of time

You'd know

#1030 4 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

+1 to that

#1031 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

This is what I would do. If they didn’t have any uncleared I would take what they had and still send it to Ron. Of course I also would never buy a NIB game ever again. I would wait until a machine was a year or so old then buy. You know to figure out who won the PF clear lottery that now seems to be in place. Yet another reason for the patient man to stay patient.

#1032 4 years ago

Does anyone have a playfield that isn't at least bubbling? I didn't think there were any defect free populated playfields.

#1033 4 years ago
Quoted from jarozi:

Does anyone have a playfield that isn't at least bubbling? I didn't think there were any defect free populated playfields.

It seems like, from what I have seen, the buildup of clear around any post or anything tightened down to the playfield is prevalent on most/all POTC games. If only someone in the know could correct me if I am wrong, but I am guessing all of the playfields were in a single batch from Mirco and thus have the same properties. The chipping situation only occurred in those who had sharp posts on the slings and did not have any protection added from the factory. When comparing my two WOZ playfields, which also use narrow posts, there is no bunching up or gathering of the clear around any post. As several here have surmised the clearcoat on the POTC playfields is clearly different than that on prior playfields. The assumption is likely that any playfield purchased through this discounted process (which it sounds like you have to show pictures of your damaged playfield) will have the same properties as any of the installed playfields.

Sounds like some here suggest that an automotive clear on top of what is done from Mirco may harden up the surface. I have my doubts given the fact that the soft clear would still exist under the automotive and would not provide as strong of a substrate as would be needed to prevent bunching and such. It would be a test that could only be done after a decent amount of money and time is spent.

#1034 4 years ago

Kit came today...
DBDB54EA-887D-4FFA-93F1-3D9366E0182F (resized).jpegDBDB54EA-887D-4FFA-93F1-3D9366E0182F (resized).jpeg

Star post on washer has same groove height as original post on factory washer...
30481F7A-9189-4DA1-8A3B-DD19B0C9DBBC (resized).jpeg30481F7A-9189-4DA1-8A3B-DD19B0C9DBBC (resized).jpeg

#1035 4 years ago
Quoted from jarozi:

Kit came today...[quoted image]

How firm are the washers?

#1036 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Zooming in it looks like they are black nylon washers. Something in between rubber and PETG, I'm guessing. Odd that they couldn't provide clear (natural) nylon at least, to jive along with the clear posts. I still wish someone would make silicone colored ones (and clear).

#1037 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Not rubber, hard plastic. They bend, not completely rigid.

Zooming in it looks like they are black nylon washers.

Sounds right.

#1038 4 years ago

FYI, if someone wants natural (for clear posts) and wants to use a hard washer Marco has a lot of options. I don't know how tight it needs to be to the post but here is a 3/4" wide option: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/242-5028-00

#1039 4 years ago

Here's the factory posts installed on the gen2 washers, just came today as well.

Fortunately, they were just large enough to cover the rippling on all my posts- just had to manuever the washers/posts just right.

As mentioned before- not super hard not super soft- medium. They have actual FLEX in them. And while they aren't clear, they do match the black trim around the sling leaf/lamp holes all around them.

My recommendation- if you previously went rubber washer/starpost out of concern but not actual chipping, dial it back and go this direction.

The rubber washer imprints can be buffed out shiny.
IMG_20190610_181116 (resized).jpgIMG_20190610_181116 (resized).jpgIMG_20190610_181333 (resized).jpgIMG_20190610_181333 (resized).jpgIMG_20190610_185854 (resized).jpgIMG_20190610_185854 (resized).jpgIMG_20190610_190104 (resized).jpgIMG_20190610_190104 (resized).jpg

#1040 4 years ago

If u don't have chipping would u guys and gals still put fix in?

#1041 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

If u don't have chipping would u guys and gals still put fix in?

download (resized).jpegdownload (resized).jpeg
#1042 4 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

You get an 80 hour bonus activity with your $10k+ machine!

It’s a bonus arts and crafts project and you only have to spend an additional $550 on top of your initial 10K.

#1043 4 years ago

Hey guys thinking about picking up an le, just got some pics and the posts around slings have definitely been crushed into the clear causing some mushrooming. I think with the “fix” should cover this up and be ok? Thoughts

56D694D5-ADD9-4375-A6B7-548165C438F5 (resized).jpeg56D694D5-ADD9-4375-A6B7-548165C438F5 (resized).jpegC70E6171-1DBD-4AD2-B8FD-3442240C0631 (resized).jpegC70E6171-1DBD-4AD2-B8FD-3442240C0631 (resized).jpeg
#1044 4 years ago

Hey guys thinking about picking up an le, just got some pics and the posts around slings have definitely been crushed into the clear causing some mushrooming. I think with the “fix” should cover this up and be ok? Thoughts[quoted image][quoted image]

That's likely the most minimal of an "issue" that you'll see. Almost all of the posts on the game look like that, at least on my several month old game. The fix will take care of that. Snap that game up.

#1045 4 years ago

Actually it’s cracking check this one

D7E0F18C-84E4-4400-BA08-1C7A56528814 (resized).jpegD7E0F18C-84E4-4400-BA08-1C7A56528814 (resized).jpeg
#1046 4 years ago

Actually it’s cracking check this one[quoted image]

Top notch build quality and attention to detail.

This is exactly what I would expect for 10K.

#1047 4 years ago

And makes me as a buyer considering this game VERY concerned

#1048 4 years ago

Hey guys thinking about picking up an le, just got some pics and the posts around slings have definitely been crushed into the clear causing some mushrooming. I think with the “fix” should cover this up and be ok? Thoughts[quoted image][quoted image]

Prob would get a spare playfield for that one for $550...

#1049 4 years ago

Actually it’s cracking check this one[quoted image]

Ugh.

#1050 4 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Prob would get a spare playfield for that one for $550...

Or stick a washer and starpost over it

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

24,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
Wanted
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

There are 3,006 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 61.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-who-has-playfield-dimples-cracking-wear-around-star-posts-/page/21?hl=extraballz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.