(Topic ID: 242867)

PoTC - Who has playfield cracking & wear around sling posts?

By harryhoudini

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,006 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinDeadHead
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What kind of issues are you seeing?”

• I have visible dimples but no chipping 47 votes
    22%
  • I can see chipping but haven't done anything yet 69 votes
    32%
  • I can see chipping and installed mylar, washer and/or larger star post 33 votes
    15%
  • My playfield looks fine (but I haven't removed the star posts) 33 votes
    15%
  • I removed the star posts and my playfield looks fine 16 votes
    7%
  • My game had clear washers installed from the factory 16 votes
    7%

(Multiple choice - 214 votes by 202 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8a08956226ce33ab4cbce84ac85256fac4d2c495 (resized).jpg
272de6fede9fee8a8547778ad012df344b85326e (resized).jpg
20200319_164738 (resized).jpg
AEF37959-C604-4A07-B193-2416A6A62929 (resized).jpeg
F10537D7-D970-4859-B5C9-CF482DF29BFA (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200320_103742 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200320_101453 (resized).jpg
917EEAC5-4AC1-4204-BDA8-5497FFCB4BAC (resized).jpeg
83458836-4863-4833-8D88-F5A9E65F9517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3627 (resized).jpeg
20200127_171934 (resized).jpg
Shocked.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
potc2_5234 (resized).jpg
3FC99A16-7187-44B6-811B-16DD827ABC65 (resized).jpeg
20200125_090027 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,006 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 61.
#851 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Very neat! I could not find rubber washers that small and flat. Should do the trick.

So just for reference if people want to get the washers(rubber and nylon) I used here is the links from Amazon for the products I bought.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FSY1HH8/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079D5RRFH/

#852 4 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

Over the weekend I took my posts off and sure enough at least half those posts had dug into the playfield and were very uneven and had sharp edges. Luckily other than directly under the posts hadn't caused any extensive damage. I sanded down the uneven posts and sourced a small black rubber and put a nylon clear washer under each post. Doesn't look too bad and hopefully will prevent any further damage under them.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks very nice! Can you take a picture with a pinball alongside the slings, so I could compare, how high the sling rubber is in comparison to mine?

#853 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Since you are using a playfield protector, do you need to worry about the rubber washer? Do you have any signs of chipping or ripples? I think you will get hammer escapes from the slings. Are you also trying to raise the slings so it hits the ball at the same level it would without the protector?

Yes, the PF protector goes around the posts, I need to add washers as well. I do not have the effects yet, but I have played only ca. 10 games on it. No, the posts just raise a bit with the rubber and clear washer, but as you said, they may be a bit too high up now.

#854 4 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Yes, the PF protector goes around the posts, I need to add washers as well. I do not have the effects yet, but I have played only ca. 10 games on it. No, the posts just raise a bit with the rubber and clear washer, but as you said, they may be a bit too high up now.

Unless you get lots of hammer escapes I wouldn’t worry. Test it! Also turn down the slings to lowest and if you still have problems, try replacing the titans with perfectplays. I am envious of your playfield with no dimples. Enjoy your pirates, Arrrrrrrrggghhh.

#855 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Well, you would have to be blind as a fucking bat to not notice a round hole that isn’t round anymore when your about to move the lane post into a damaged hole.
Scratches...pretty funny. I wish it was just scratches and dimples.

Not sure how you took this personally. I was making fun of ME being to lazy to look for issues. Hence why I even spelled out Not making fun. We all love the game just hate to see people get so tightly wound as if We damaged your game. It’s an amazing game sorry you seem disappointed.

#856 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Not sure how you took this personally. I was making fun of ME being to lazy to look for issues. Hence why I even spelled out Not making fun. We all love the game just hate to see people get so tightly wound as if We damaged your game. It’s an amazing game sorry you seem disappointed.

Well, not sure what to say because all I was trying to do was move the i lane post to the other position and upon doing so the lower left third of the hole had a crack which is actually gone now to reveal a chip. Seems like a reasonable thing to try to do and wasn’t some fishing expedition in search of damage as you imply.

Not disappointed one bit in the game, love it, favorite game. I am disappointed in the poor quality control of what is probably the greatest game ever made and just hope it holds up for the long haul but likely won’t. Now thinking I may buy a couple extra pf’s at this point. Then I can play until there is nothing left of the art and swap.

#857 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Well, not sure what to say because all I was trying to do was move the i lane post to the other position and upon doing so the lower left third of the hole had a crack which is actually gone now to reveal a chip. Seems like a reasonable thing to try to do and wasn’t some fishing expedition in search of damage as you imply.
Not disappointed one bit in the game, love it, favorite game. I am disappointed in the poor quality control of what is probably the greatest game ever made and just hope it holds up for the long haul but likely won’t. Now thinking I may buy a couple extra pf’s at this point. Then I can play until there is nothing left of the art and swap.

Not to mention the words Playfield cracking are actually in the thread title. Seems like a reasonable place to post about finding cracks on the PF.

#858 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I think we all are enjoying the game and this is by far my favorite game so being passionate about the game itself and trying to take care of it so it holds up go hand in hand in my opinion. I have no plans on ever getting rid of the machine. Reporting damage does not imply not enjoying or being disgruntled in any way towards JJP or the game itself.
I was just trying to alert fellow owners that the ball rolling across that exposed hole MAY become an issue. I was going to give the other post position a try and found this.
Hard to understand the rationale of his post but I just think it’s flat out self righteousness and ignorant, glad I don’t need to buy any more of his shit.

Any possibility of a tiny thin rubber washer going over that spot under the post?

#859 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I'd not sweat it. Just buy one extra and send it to one of the playfield experts for a proper clear when time is right.

#860 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Again no issues implied I think it sucks that such a great game would have so many flaws in the simple basic levels such as a Playfield. I understand your frustration and in no way was I poking that you didn’t have an issue. I simply shake my head at this point since one issue is overcome and sadly a new one arrives. No hate friend or fun just pointing out why I refrain from looking as I suspect there may be more. Best game ever does not meant lacking in frustration.

#861 4 years ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

Any possibility of a tiny thin rubber washer going over that spot under the post?

I applied Mylar for now. The post didn’t cause the issue, it was the hole where post wasn’t installed. I guess the ball just traveling over the exposed post hole wore it down. I may try to move the post anyhow and it may cover it as long as it sits level on PF.

#862 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Again no issues implied I think it sucks that such a great game would have so many flaws in the simple basic levels such as a Playfield. I understand your frustration and in no way was I poking that you didn’t have an issue. I simply shake my head at this point since one issue is overcome and sadly a new one arrives. No hate friend or fun just pointing out why I refrain from looking as I suspect there may be more. Best game ever does not meant lacking in frustration.

It’s all good. It is what it is at the moment and it really isn’t a new issue, there is just something not right with the clearcoat on many of these games unfortunately. I have games that are 26 years old in great condition and don’t suffer from this and I play them a fair amount.

I sincerely hope that those that aren’t dealing with this at the moment don’t have to down the line.

#863 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

It’s all good. It is what it is at the moment and it really isn’t a new issue, there is just something not right with the clearcoat on many of these games unfortunately. I have games that are 26 years old in great condition and don’t suffer from this and I play them a fair amount.
I sincerely hope that those that aren’t dealing with this at the moment don’t have to down the line.

I noticed mine had a 1/4” washer under that post but your talking about the empty hole. No fix for that comes to mind. Not sure what they were called but it would be great if they installed those little plastic plugs in the unused holes like they did in the TZ pop bumper area.

#864 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I noticed mine had a 1/4” washer under that post but your talking about the empty hole. No fix for that comes to mind. Not sure what they were called but it would be great if they installed those little plastic plugs in the unused holes like they did in the TZ pop bumper area.

That would have worked and really not many games come to mind where their is a middle lane with a movable post where there is a hole that the ball would regularly roll over or hit via deflection. Any exposed hole or edge is going to have this risk, thankfully cliffy covers a bunch of them. It’s these oddball ones that may surprise us.

Now if I can successfully move the post into that hole and have it sit stable it would cover the small issue. Ball cant touch the inner hole if lane is closed down. Ball cant really touch the open hole at the right outlane either with its position and rubber on post. Downside is I’m not sure I want to move the pos on the I lane. I don’t like setting games up easier than the designer intended. That is my dilema.

#865 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I don’t like setting games up easier than the designer intended. That is my dilema.

Huh. Have you seen how well those guys play? Lol. Eric could set this game up without flippers and still beat me. I set mine up for my skill level. Overly easy

#866 4 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Looks very nice! Can you take a picture with a pinball alongside the slings, so I could compare, how high the sling rubber is in comparison to mine?

2 pictures from my ball at the slings after installing the rubber at the posts.

IMG_3272 (resized).JPGIMG_3272 (resized).JPGIMG_3273 (resized).JPGIMG_3273 (resized).JPG
#867 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Just reading over the past day of posts in this thread currently.

I think it's more the dismissive tone I feel you often take, present, and then make a point over and over again to chime in on each and every time these issues are presented, as if you haven't stated your lesser level of anxiety and concern over these issues.

It's cool you feel the way you do. Most of us would prefer the option of less anxiety, and more play, but clearly people think and feel differently, and what's the point of constantly telling people that feel worried, not to worry?

This is always a great arena to discuss and share viewpoints, differing and agreeable, and I always welcome contrary perspectives. Just at a point...once those are echoed multiple times, they may do more damage than good.

Just my viewpoint. Neither right nor wrong. And I do appreciate and value your perspectives and what you bring to the threads. You seem a well meaning, informed, and valuable person to have around.

#868 4 years ago

#869 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

J You seem a well meaning, informed, and valuable person to have around.

Tell my Wife that! lol

#870 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Tell my Wife that! lol

Haha!

I've always wondered, is she on the board? And what aspects do each of you do, re regarding mod design and creation?

#871 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Haha!
I've always wondered, is she on the board? And what aspects do each of you do, re regarding mod design and creation?

He's just the pretty face.

#872 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

He's just the pretty face.

Have you seen him in person? Face for radio I'm thinking.

Just kidding Dave. You're in my top 2 favorite people in the mod couple household.

#873 4 years ago

PerfectPlays were looking good. THey are wearing well and seem to hold less dirt!

But then I got a sling escape . Back to the drawing board.

Still like em though.

#874 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

PerfectPlays were looking good. THey are wearing well and seem to hold less dirt!
But then I got a sling escape . Back to the drawing board.
Still like em though.

I compressed the rubber under the double star posts to almost paper thin. I am still using the titans. Have not had one hammer escape and a lot less air balls. I have not probably put in as many games as you. But it was a real problem with the singles. My playfield is compressed like anything underneath, but it’s out of sight!

Good luck!

Are your slings on 16?

#875 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

I compressed the rubber under the double star posts to almost paper thin. I am still using the titans. Have not had one hammer escape and a lot less air balls. I have not probably put in as many games as you. But it was a real problem with the singles. My playfield is compressed like anything underneath, but it’s out of sight!
Good luck!
Are your slings on 16?

So washers compressed/made circles underneath them? Not sure if impressions or flakes are worse.

#876 4 years ago

Using the rubber washers and double star posts (rubber on the lower rung, of course) with titan clears I have not had one escape since. Granted, I probably play a lot less than you guys but it seems to be working well.

#877 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

So washers compressed/made circles underneath them? Not sure if impressions or flakes are worse.

Does it matter if it leaves an impression under the post? If it’s not tight it’s going to be susceptible to movement from the slings. It’s rubber, so there are no hard edges cutting into the clearcoat.

#878 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Does it matter if it leaves an impression under the post? If it’s not tight it’s going to be susceptible to movement from the slings. It’s rubber, so there are no hard edges cutting into the clearcoat.

I meant, like an impression the size of a washer, which is significant. Right now I'm just at ripple stage. And we could argue if it's cracked, does it matter if it's under a starpost.

Ideally no impression or cracking > impression > cracking. I'd say.

#879 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Haha!

She's definitely on board. Corny to some but after 25 years of marriage its great to find interests or hobbies you both enjoy together. Pinball happens to be one of those. We try to collaborate on the concept direction but I tend to design/create the collaborative vision. She works the magic with final detail and execution so I can move on to the next crazy idea. Like excavating our house.... At the end of the Long day we still enjoy challenging each other to a few rounds of pinball which is alway great with a bottle of wine.

Quoted from KingPinGames:

Have you seen him in person? Face for radio I'm thinking.
Just kidding Dave. You're in my top 2 favorite people in the mod couple household.

As usual you are correct Christopher. I try to compensate my lack of looks with hard work lol. I think thats what draws me to the underground hobby of Pinball. Everyone looks decent in a dark basement! I'm Guessing when you say of the 2 in the mod couple household your probably saying my wife and her sidekick Piglet...

IMG_0546 (resized).jpegIMG_0546 (resized).jpeg
#880 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Everyone looks decent in a dark basement!

Except Radioactive Flesh Eating Zombies.

#881 4 years ago

cute doggy!!!

#882 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Using the rubber washers and double star posts (rubber on the lower rung, of course) with titan clears I have not had one escape since. Granted, I probably play a lot less than you guys but it seems to be working well.

This should all be resolved in a reasonable manner when the official kit drops and hopefully this week as promised, maybe even with code 1.0 with lower sling powered options.

Part of me thinks the new star posts could have been designed special by JJP, wide at the base but thin in the middle and also lower to keep the rubber where it was before after washer install and solve the airball issue too.

#883 4 years ago

Has anyone received a direct response from JJP about this?

#884 4 years ago
Quoted from rgzpinx:

Has anyone received a direct response from JJP about this?

Yeah - I have talked to them on the phone 5-6 times in the last 2 -3 weeks.

#885 4 years ago

This should all be resolved in a reasonable manner when the official kit drops and hopefully this week as promised, maybe even with code 1.0 with lower sling powered options.
Part of me thinks the new star posts could have been designed special by JJP, wide at the base but thin in the middle and also lower to keep the rubber where it was before after washer install and solve the airball issue too.

Reasonable is a very subjective term with this situation.

#886 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Reasonable is a very subjective term with this situation.

Well, I use it in the objective sense.

It's not objectively reasonable to expect everyone to get populated playfields with new clearcoat over a cosmetic concern in a situation that doesn't materially impact the gameplay. It's just not. For those that do, well, that's quite different.

Do we ALL got ripped off a little in the quality department on this one? You betcha.

But it's a pinball machine, so long as it runs right, it doesn't have to be perfect pretty in the eyes of wider society. And I doubt society at large takes the investment piece of it serious beyond that. It's meant to be a commerical gaming device, after all.

As to us, well, that's a question of brand loyalty and how it impacts repeat business.

To that end, I see JJP doing what they can to mitigate things and if you buy/then send your discounted second playfield for a new clearcoat and swap it in, you got your bulletproofed game. A measure a lot of collectors take on new games anyways.

Actually, if JJP wanted to really rock it out, they'd sell the replacement playfields with the new clearcoat already done the right way...by HSA or something. A true gent gesture.

As a side matter- we all also scored maybe what will go down as the rarest top 5 game of all time. And that's a pretty sweet company to start a permanent collection with, in my case hopefully at least.

#887 4 years ago

Well, I use it in the objective sense.
It's not objectively reasonable to expect everyone to get populated playfields with new clearcoat over a cosmetic concern when it doesn't impact the gameplay. It's just not.
Do we all got ripped off a little in the quality department on this one? You betcha. But it's a pinball machine not a car, so long as it runs right it doesn't have to be perfect pretty in the eyes of wider society.
As to us, well, that's a question of brand loyalty and how it impacts repeat business. To that end, JJP is doing what they can and if you send your discounted second playfield for a new clearcoat and swap it in, you got your bulletproofed game. A measure a lot of collectors take on new games anyways.

Didn’t ask for a populated PF and everyone’s situation regarding damage is a bit different.

JJP claims it’s a handful of people with issues, if that were the case the best thing they could have done was offer the handful of unpopulated PF at zero cost. We all would have went away quietly.
Since they haven’t even considered this yet I’m suspecting this is a wide spread issue.

Washers and posts work for the slings since they are covered but how about people with post chipping elsewhere in plain view?
How about a 1” piece of art missing from in front of the map hole or tortuga?

How about post holes at the lanes that can’t be used to move the post because they aren’t flat and round any more?

I can go on and on, everyone’s situation is unique but these are some of the more common ones and some DO affect gameplay.

If all you have is the sling bubbling consider yourself a lucky owner!

I really don’t know what a suitable remedy is at this point, not all of these issues apply to my game and don’t want to speak for other owners that have damage.

#888 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Didn’t ask for a populated PF and everyone’s situation regarding damage is a bit different.
JJP claims it’s a handful of people with issues, if that were the case the best thing they could have done was offer the handful of unpopulated PF at zero cost. We all would have went away quietly.
Since they haven’t even considered this yet I’m suspecting this is a wide spread issue.
Washers and posts work for the slings since they are covered but how about people with post chipping elsewhere in plain view?
How about a 1” piece of art missing from in front of the map hole or tortuga?
How about post holes at the lanes that can’t be used to move the post because they aren’t flat and round any more?
I can go on and on, everyone’s situation is unique but these are some of the more common ones and some DO affect gameplay.
If all you have is the sling bubbling consider yourself a lucky owner!
I really don’t know what a suitable remedy is at this point, not all of these issues apply to my game and don’t want to speak for other owners that have damage.

I definitely don't claim to. But for those with cosmetic/ gameplay unaffected issues, that's apples and oranges. And most of the chips I've seen in pics have been sling post art/no affect on play. That's all I'm saying.

#889 4 years ago

I definitely don't claim to. But for those with cosmetic/ gameplay unaffected issues, that's apples and oranges. And most of the chips I've seen in pics have been sling post art/no affect on play.

I’ve addressed my slings on my own and haven’t had any issues knock on wood! JJPs fix is literally exactly what I did according to the phone call I had with them last week, we will see if there is anything else in the kit. He mentioned a possibility of colored Mylar to blend in any visible chips around the sling post.

Now something I am more concerned with on my machine at the moment and DOES affect gameplay is the chip I have at the unused hole in the I lane.

As it stands now, the chip is plainly visible and I cannot install the post in that hole if I want to close the lane a bit to minimize drains. That sucks to potentially not have that option.

#890 4 years ago

Lest us not forget that this is not the first issue JJP has had of this nature. Dialed In has unusual wear enough that JJP created and made available for free protection pieces for the game, after manufacturing. WOZ had terrible playfield wear issues around 3 large sections of playfield and they produced high quality decals to cover it. The decals are decent, but there are issues that persist with the decals and ball travel plus the decals still show the "divots" of missing playfield under them. And then you have a game with decals covering wear on the playfield, not a pristine playfield that those who purchased later in the manufacturing process benefitted from. AND... AND I had to PAY for the decals. How fucked is that? JJP had to create and sell a 2.0 lighting kit for WOZ because the first 3 versions of the prior lighting kit were basically failures and they sell that kit for $800.

POTC owners who were lucky enough to get their games off the line after this issue was discovered hit the jackpot.

I think JJP has had a lot of slack in these areas and doesn't handle issues like this well.

#891 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I meant, like an impression the size of a washer, which is significant. Right now I'm just at ripple stage. And we could argue if it's cracked, does it matter if it's under a starpost.
Ideally no impression or cracking > impression > cracking. I'd say.

I was just putting the supplied washer on with some Mylar under my post. In removing the posts I saw some of the ripple come away and leave a small chip. Other posts had rippling next to where they had dug into clearcoat. Would it have got any worse? Don’t know, other people had their chips get bigger. So I tightened down star posts with rubber exactly same size. Heaps of games have star posts. When I removed them at least the ripples were flattened out. This clearcoat is soft. It’s going to indent no matter what you use. If you have no problems, don’t change!!

#892 4 years ago

Has anyone found after putting double star posts on that the ball now has trouble rolling into the “A” lane? It seems to get briefly caught between the top right starpost and the other post to the right (the post between the “A” and the “T”). I don’t know if I have to try and move the starpost over a fraction of a millimeter or change the other post. Damn. I was getting fewer air balls and no hammer escapes.

#893 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Has anyone found after putting double star posts on that the ball now has trouble rolling into the “A” lane? It seems to get briefly caught between the top right starpost and the other post to the right (the post between the “A” and the “T”). I don’t know if I have to try and move the starpost over a fraction of a millimeter or change the other post. Damn. I was getting fewer air balls and no hammer escapes.

Yep, happened to me. Ball would literally not go down the lane and got trapped against the double post. As the posts also significantly affected the angle of the rubbers and the ruined gameplay for me in the end I've gone gone back to original posts. Couldn't be happier and I'll live with rippling if it means I can play the game as intended.

#894 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

No, but when I installed it I made sure the posts were as far from the lane as possible for this reason.

#895 4 years ago

You guys have gone on and on with how many hours of back and forth about the 'hammer escapes' due to moving the rubber up.

If keeping the factory post style, just move the rubber back down by shortening the post in question. Put it up against the sander and you'll take material off in no time flat. Figure out how much higher the rubber got with your setup... sand the posts back down to compensate.

#896 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I’ve addressed my slings on my own and haven’t had any issues knock on wood! JJPs fix is literally exactly what I did according to the phone call I had with them last week, we will see if there is anything else in the kit. He mentioned a possibility of colored Mylar to blend in any visible chips around the sling post.
Now something I am more concerned with on my machine at the moment and DOES affect gameplay is the chip I have at the unused hole in the I lane.
As it stands now, the chip is plainly visible and I cannot install the post in that hole if I want to close the lane a bit to minimize drains. That sucks to potentially not have that option.

Well, apparently the new washers are nylon, and I'm definitely interested to see what the other post option looks like.

For my part, I'm just sitting put, not really playing my game till they're here. To me, I can wait. I love my PoTC, but I got other amusements to tie myself over.

It would just suit my luck that my slings would chip if I got antsy and played it to death in the next week with the polycarbonate washers.

Not that it would be the end of the world, but right now I have the benefit of foresight so I'll just wait.

#897 4 years ago

Well, apparently the new washers are nylon, and I'm definitely interested to see what the other post option looks like.
For my part, I'm just sitting put, not really playing my game till they're here. To me, I can wait. I love my PoTC, but I got other amusements to tie myself over.
It would just suit my luck that my slings would chip if I got antsy and played it to death in the next week with the polycarbonate washers.
Not that it would be the end of the world, but right now I have the benefit of foresight so I'll just wait.

Don’t think the nylon is going to be the answer because they are hard.

The neoprene from Lowe’s have been working very well for me, couple hundred plays with them and they aren’t digging, sinking or folding at the lip. Clear coat not disturbed in any way so far...knock on wood!

They told me there would be a soft washer, hope that didn’t change because they clearly don’t understand the underlying issue if that’s the case.

I hear ya about waiting since your pf isn’t blemished yet. trying to avoid Murphy’s Law!

#898 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Don’t think the nylon is going to be the answer because they are hard.
The neoprene from Lowe’s have been working very well for me, couple hundred plays with them and they aren’t digging, sinking or folding at the lip. Clear coat not disturbed in any way so far...knock on wood!
They told me there would be a soft washer, hope that didn’t change because they clearly don’t understand the underlying issue if that’s the case.
I hear ya about waiting since your pf isn’t blemished yet. trying to avoid Murphy’s Law!

We'll see. I think regardless of what comes we can agree the biggest issue isn't hard or soft washers but uneven posts with sharp edges literally digging into and pushing against soft clear at funny angles.

Honestly, I'm not super worried about the gen1 JJP washers I got, but yes Murphy's law is always in effect.

If the washer is hard- on uncracked clear of this sort -my expectation is it might just smush the clear outwards a bit at the edges, at most, like we've seen when the starposts went directly into the clear.

Probably even the ripply clear underneath it would be smoothened out underneath by the pressure rather than chip, since it's perfectly flat. Unsightly, but probably where the issue would end.

The soft washers' indentations just stay beneath, they didn't expand the clear out.

I did fire it up for a few though, to put in a new starmap plastic today, got my kit in from JJP. Darn near lost one of the tiny nylon thead covers doing it. But nearly is so much better than did.

Not sure how but the right side of the plastic was scratched up bad, maybe original amateur owner tried to remove the ship..game starting to finally feel 'like new' which is exciting.

I also had to put down felt on the lockdown wood topside, not just for luxury look and feel but because original owner acted like a dingbat while taking the playfield to service.

#899 4 years ago

Darn near lost one of the tiny nylon thead covers doing it. But nearly is so much better than did.

PLEASE let's not talk about this! I still have nightmares. I found it under the target ship and had to fish it out with a long zip tie. It took many tries, especially to not flick in some other hole or hard to reach spot. I am going to glue those fuckers on. AND THEY ARE ON BOTH SIDES.

#900 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

No, but when I installed it I made sure the posts were as far from the lane as possible for this reason.

Funny I tried to have the posts as close to the sling hammer to stop escapes. Anyway moved it as far to the left as I could. Just a fraction of movement. Also moved the post to the right across as much as I could. Flows freely now.

I have 2 suggestions to fix strong slings:

1. Add stronger strings to sling solenoids
2. Dremmel the rubber groove a bit on the star posts to make them narrower.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Wanted
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

There are 3,006 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 61.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-who-has-playfield-dimples-cracking-wear-around-star-posts-/page/18 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.