(Topic ID: 242867)

PoTC - Who has playfield cracking & wear around sling posts?

By harryhoudini

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,006 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinDeadHead
  • Topic is favorited by 57 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What kind of issues are you seeing?”

• I have visible dimples but no chipping 47 votes
    22%
  • I can see chipping but haven't done anything yet 69 votes
    32%
  • I can see chipping and installed mylar, washer and/or larger star post 33 votes
    15%
  • My playfield looks fine (but I haven't removed the star posts) 33 votes
    15%
  • I removed the star posts and my playfield looks fine 16 votes
    7%
  • My game had clear washers installed from the factory 16 votes
    7%

(Multiple choice - 214 votes by 202 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8a08956226ce33ab4cbce84ac85256fac4d2c495 (resized).jpg
272de6fede9fee8a8547778ad012df344b85326e (resized).jpg
20200319_164738 (resized).jpg
AEF37959-C604-4A07-B193-2416A6A62929 (resized).jpeg
F10537D7-D970-4859-B5C9-CF482DF29BFA (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200320_103742 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200320_101453 (resized).jpg
917EEAC5-4AC1-4204-BDA8-5497FFCB4BAC (resized).jpeg
83458836-4863-4833-8D88-F5A9E65F9517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3627 (resized).jpeg
20200127_171934 (resized).jpg
Shocked.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
potc2_5234 (resized).jpg
3FC99A16-7187-44B6-811B-16DD827ABC65 (resized).jpeg
20200125_090027 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,006 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 61.
#651 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Meh... I doubt they would put time in to choosing the right color nuts for various locations. Not to mention the cost of anodized hardware. I like to think I'm "plussing" the original design.

Noted. I just got other things to do, like play PoTC.
I already am a week behind do to post-gate 2019

#652 4 years ago

For reference, the ZaphX comparison but with the Lowe's washers on black posts.

See the double notch lower post is barely taller than standard not installed but the single is REALLY jacked up. Presumably installed it's the same or even closer than here.

Within five games I had a sling escape on the single, through about 20 plays or so tonight I haven't had an escape on the doubles and the ball has been smooth off the slings at the minimal setting.

I think OP should put the double posts with Lowe's or gummy washer as THE official fix.

Though some posters swear the single stars work it's definitely the doubles that do.
Screenshot_20190523-225231 (resized).pngScreenshot_20190523-225231 (resized).png

#653 4 years ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

I think OP should put the double posts with Lowe's or gummy washer as THE official fix.

I've been saying that for a while

#654 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I've been saying that for a while

Have ordered mine. I just think it looks a little inelegant. Wish there was another solution. In a weeks time after installing the doubles, I probably will not even notice it. It will be good not to have anymore escapes. Thanks zaphX, Cheshirefilms, Harry and others.

#655 4 years ago

I'll update the solutions post with the double for the noted reasons. I haven't even put the rubber washers on mine yet

#656 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Have ordered mine. I just think it looks a little inelegant. Wish there was another solution. In a weeks time after installing the doubles, I probably will not even notice it. It will be good not to have anymore escapes. Thanks zaphX, Cheshirefilms, Harry and others.

On the black ones from pretty much any view you can't even see the extra notch once the slings are mounted on lexan washers.

#657 4 years ago

Is anyone concerned about how the neoprene Lowe's washers might react with the starposts?

Are you guys putting mylar under also?

#658 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Is anyone concerned about how the neoprene Lowe's washers might react with the starposts?
Are you guys putting mylar under also?

The posts are like 70 cents. Buy spares. Worry less.

#659 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

The posts are like 70 cents. Buy spares. Worry less.

I just meant if there's a chemical reaction, like what occurred with the gummy one's from amazon.

The black do look kinda nice.

#660 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I just meant if there's a chemical reaction, like what occurred with the gummy one's from amazon.
The black do look kinda nice.

Rubber on plastic? No worries as to reaction.

And that's entirely why I went for them over the 'mysterious' gummies. Not that I worry about posts that cost under a buck. I just didn't want to redo in the future.

No mylar. Mylar is a fake fix for posts driven into automotive clear, see my posts above per restore guru Keith Holbrook.

Just put down the rubber and forget about it

#661 4 years ago

Rubber on plastic? No worries as to reaction.
And that's entirely why I went for them over the 'mysterious' gummies. Not that I worry about posts that cost under a buck. I just didn't want to redo in the future.
No mylar. Mylar is a fake fix for posts driven into automotive clear, see my posts above per restore guru Keith Holbrook.
Just put down the rubber and forget about it

Is the double star post the same diameter as the single at the base?

#662 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Is the double star post the same diameter as the single at the base?

Yes

#663 4 years ago

Thanks!!!

#664 4 years ago

Has anyone tried a steel conical grommet in the hole to transfer the squeezing of the larger post hole in the Playfield into a spreading pressure? If sized so that the #8 screw just fits, this should cancel any movement of the post that is causing the chippng and rippling. The top of the grommet would have to be slightly larger than the width of the hole so that when compressed it is snug.

I'm thinking that anything else Used as a solution could loosen and cause the same issue.

Getting my game next week. Excited to tear it apart

#665 4 years ago

For reference, the ZaphX comparison but with the Lowe's washers on black posts.
See the double notch lower post is barely taller than standard not installed but the single is REALLY jacked up. Presumably installed it's the same or even closer than here.
Within five games I had a sling escape on the single, through about 20 plays or so tonight I haven't had an escape on the doubles and the ball has been smooth off the slings at the minimal setting.
Though some posters swear the single stars work it's definitely the doubles that do.
[quoted image]

I had maybe three sling escapes on my stock game. Zero so far on single star posts. I thing you guys are stressing way too much about this.

#666 4 years ago

Looks like the official fix will be some sort of new washer from JJP and discount pf’s.

#667 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I had maybe three sling escapes on my stock game. Zero so far on single star posts. I thing you guys are stressing way too much about this.

No more stress!! But after I had my first sling escape after five plays I saw no need to wait for my second and switched to my doubles.

The standard protocol is doubles, but feel free to do what works for you.

As far as "new washers" are concerned, if they don't come with a swankier nicer wider post- which seems like a one in a million- I doubt Id be all that interested anyhow.

I made the switch because I wanted nicer posts that would still work, not just to try and protect against future wear.

Now a discounted spare playfield, that could be nice to make up for the trouble..

#668 4 years ago

No stress!! But after I had my first sling escape after five plays I saw no need to wait for my second and switched to my doubles. The standard protocol should be doubles, and everyone can do what they want.
As far as "new washers" are concerned, if they don't come with a swankier nicer wider post- which seems like a one in a million- I doubt Id be all that interested anyhow.
I made the switch because I wanted nicer posts that would still work, not just to try and protect against future wear.
Now a discounted spare playfield, that could be nice..

I asked about a discounted new playfield and never got a reply back.
At the same time I mentioned my playfield chipped to the wood.
It's not like I'm a first time buyer either.
I have had every title so far except Wonka.
This is the only game that has had this kind of playfield issue for me.

#669 4 years ago

I tried to buy a CE playfield on Monday and was told there are no more left for sale.

#670 4 years ago

No more stress!! But after I had my first sling escape after five plays I saw no need to wait for my second and switched to my doubles.
The standard protocol is doubles, but feel free to do what works for you.
Now a discounted spare playfield, that could be nice to make up for the trouble..

Not sure how doubles are standard protocol but I have well over 100 games played on single rubber star posts with ZERO escapes.
Maybe it’s the exotic brand loose rubber causing the issue of the escapes.

I’ll stick with the singles as long as they are working, doubles look like shit in my opinion.

#671 4 years ago
Quoted from pingod:

I asked about a discounted new playfield and never got a reply back.
At the same time I mentioned my playfield chipped to the wood.
It's not like I'm a first time buyer either.
I have had every title so far except Wonka.
This is the only game that has had this kind of playfield issue for me.

Not sure why they didn’t respond but they emailed me with the info.

#672 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Not sure how doubles are standard protocol but I have well over 100 games played on single rubber star posts with ZERO escapes.
Maybe it’s the exotic brand loose rubber causing the issue of the escapes.
I’ll stick with the singles as long as they are working, doubles look like shit in my opinion.

Why are you fighting this? They are standard protocol because they prevent sling escapes. Period.

100+ games without an escape may be good, but more users report them failing than those that dont. The doubles are 2 for 2- at least. Plus, the height evidence of the sling ring on the two is convincing.

So objectively- singles are a fail, and the doubles are the win.

As for myself- I never even tried the "exotic" superbands, unless you were referring to the stock Titans. Didn't want to put additional strain on the posts or the ball when I realized how ridiculous tight they were.

And the doubles are not visible installed. So the cosmetic point is basically moot.

#673 4 years ago

Why are you fighting this? They are standard protocol because they prevent sling escapes. Period.
100+ games without an escape may be good, but more users report them failing than those that dont. The doubles are 2 for 2- at least. Plus, the height evidence of the sling ring on the two is convincing.
So objectively- singles are a fail, and the doubles are the win.
As for myself- I never even tried the "exotic" superbands, unless you were referring to the stock Titans. Didn't want to put additional strain on the posts or the ball when I realized how ridiculous tight they were.
And the doubles are not visible installed. So the cosmetic point is basically moot.

Not fighting a damn thing, my game is working PERIOD. Why fuck more with it? There are many ways to skin this cat with a satisfactory result, mine worked on first attempt.
For you to say it is the std though is about as much nonsense as those saying chipping is normal wear.

Call JJP, they will tell you their answer. Had a nice chat with them today.

#674 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Not fighting a damn thing, my game is working PERIOD. Why fuck more with it? There are many ways to skin this cat with a satisfactory result, mine worked on first attempt.
For you to say it is the std though is about as much nonsense as those saying chipping is normal wear.
Call JJP, they will tell you their answer. Had a nice chat with them today.

JJP is good people but they tiny polycarbonate washers they sent my way wouldn't even cover the existing damage let alone protect it's radius. I put them in my coinbox.

You are correct about there are more than one way to skin this cat. There are TWO confirmed ways to skin this cat for games with ripply clear or with outright chipping.

The double post with the rubber washers and the double with the gummies. Everything else is confirmed hit and miss or all miss. Just the facts we've already seen man.

#675 4 years ago

JJP is good people but they tiny polycarbonate washers they sent my way wouldn't even cover the existing damage let alone protect it's radius. I put them in my coinbox.
You are correct about there are more than one fox. There are TWO confirmed ways to skin this cat for games with ripply clear or with outright chipping.
The double post with the rubber washers and the double with the gummies. Everything else is confirmed hit and miss or all miss. Just the facts we've already seen man.

I must be lucky I guess.

I would like to see everyone’s game issue free.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#676 4 years ago

To anyone that's placed the Lowe's neoprene washers, have they noticed any depressions from them in the clearcoat?

#677 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I must be lucky I guess.
I would like to see everyone’s game issue free.

I’m learning more and more that you have to actually put in some time and work if you truly want a flawless dialed in game.

My AFMr works great, but that doesn’t mean there wasn’t 10 things I could do to make it better.

As for Pirates, I’m itching closer to a “perfect” game. Working on the disc silencer mod (I failed the first time, but I think it was my fault), audio, pesky plunger... Played on-site last night plunged 10-15 times to test and the forks moved ever so slightly if not at all every time and the plunder had great speed/power. I have to get this figured out.

Anyways, back on topic...

#678 4 years ago

For those without current damage, is there a translucent washer (neoprene?) option that would work the same? I’d like to keep the factory look if possible. Making a Marco order soon with double star posts.

#679 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

I’m learning more and more that you have to actually put in some time and work if you truly want a flawless dialed in game.
My AFMr works great, but that doesn’t mean there wasn’t 10 things I could do to make it better.
As for Pirates, I’m itching closer to a “perfect” game. Working on the disc silencer mod (I failed the first time, but I think it was my fault), audio, pesky plunger... Played on-site last night plunged 10-15 times to test and the forks moved ever so slightly if not at all every time and the plunder had great speed/power. I have to get this figured out.
Anyways, back on topic...

Forks shouldn't move at all when plunged. Prop the playfield hooks as already documented. Easy fix.

#680 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Forks shouldn't move at all when plunged. Prop the playfield hooks as already documented. Easy fix.

Or just loosen the three screws for the shooter assembly and shift it within the cabinet as needed. Easiest fix I've had so far!

#681 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Or just loosen the three screws for the shooter assembly and shift it within the cabinet as needed. Easiest fix I've had so far!

Yeah sometimes doing that still doesn't give you enough clearance though.

#682 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Yeah sometimes doing that still doesn't give you enough clearance though.

One or both should work for him. Should....

#683 4 years ago

Yea. I did it literally day 1 and it seemed to fix it, but I guess it wasn’t tightened enough and the issue returned.

Hopefully I can get it right again and then I’ll use loctite for a more secure fix.

#684 4 years ago

Back on topic?

For those without current damage, is there a translucent washer (neoprene?) option that would work the same? I’d like to keep the factory look if possible. Making a Marco order soon with double star posts.

#685 4 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Back on topic?

No. I searched all over for one and there just isn't an easy source for a clear, soft washer. Titan may be working on colored options for us in their material, but I haven't heard any updates. You can buy in gross from China if you are that motivated, and I'm sure you could get some buyers locally, but I haven't gone that far yet. Black posts hide the washers

#686 4 years ago

Well, shit. Ok, I guess different rubbers next.

I got some translucent “perfect play” ones from I think Pinball Life.

D627A8FE-F148-4A38-8F62-118384E7E6A0.jpegD627A8FE-F148-4A38-8F62-118384E7E6A0.jpeg
#687 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Well, shit. Ok, I guess different rubbers next.
I got some translucent “perfect play” ones from I think Pinball Life.[quoted image]

Hammer time....again?!?!?

#688 4 years ago

I have not removed the posts on my slingshots yet, but they look fine as they are now (well, I have played only ca. 10 games on my NIB game, so no wonder they do not show any wear. The game is a November build.

However, in order to prepare for the chipping, please advice on which of the washers should I use? The metal ones or the clear ones (from playfield protectors)? The plastic ones seem to be a bit fatter, but smaller in diameter. They both are not much bigger than the posts, but I think it is a good thing, as I will be putting in the game also a PF protector and I am hoping that they PF protector would not overlap the washers. It might be a really close call though.

EDIT: I also bought a set of black rubber seal washers - might they be of any use? I guess they would be applied under the post (provided the post is ok) and the metal/plastic washer would then not be used?

(I do not have access to rubber washers, so I have to skip that plan and also the star posts would overlap the PF protector I think, so its a no-go.)

Have a look at the pics and thank you for any advice!
Slingshot2 (resized).JPGSlingshot2 (resized).JPGwashers (resized).JPGwashers (resized).JPGSlingshot (resized).JPGSlingshot (resized).JPG

IMG_6110 (resized).JPGIMG_6110 (resized).JPG
#689 4 years ago

To prevent ss escapes: lower the coil power. Factory setting does give the ball a high speed velocity that I have almost never seen in a pinball. I believe that should prevent the hammer out of the rubber problem.
I don’t believe the kind of rubber makes a difference.

#690 4 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

I have not removed the posts on my slingshots yet, but they look fine as they are now (well, I have played only ca. 10 games on my NIB game, so no wonder they do not show any wear. The game is a November build.
However, in order to prepare for the chipping, please advice on which of the washers should I use? The metal ones or the clear ones (from playfield protectors)? The plastic ones seem to be a bit fatter, but smaller in diameter. They both are not much bigger than the posts, but I think it is a good thing, as I will be putting in the game also a PF protector and I am hoping that they PF protector would not overlap the washers. It might be a really close call though.
EDIT: I also bought a set of black rubber seal washers - might they be of any use? I guess they would be applied under the post (provided the post is ok) and the metal/plastic washer would then not be used?
(I do not have access to rubber washers, so I have to skip that plan and also the star posts would overlap the PF protector I think, so its a no-go.)
Have a look at the pics and thank you for any advice!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You want rubber washers, not o-rings or hard plastic ones. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-who-has-playfield-dimples-cracking-wear-around-star-posts-/page/9#post-4999401

#691 4 years ago

He mentioned he doesn't have access to rubber washers.

Send him some HH!

#692 4 years ago

Thanks. Would you consider using metal washers under the posts a better alternative to plastic washers?

I might have to get the star posts and rubbers, but as they are not readily available for me, I am trying to use an alternative, which I know not being ideal and not as good as the official fix - but however better than have nothing under the posts.

#693 4 years ago

Man these slings and posts are getting a ton of attention

Getting a CE and is there a consensus on what to do right out of the box with washers/sling posts?

#694 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Getting a CE and is there a consensus on what to do right out of the box with washers/sling posts?

Your likely going to have the large metal ones that apparently can’t be removed easily for some reason.

Could be good or bad, not sure. Lol

#695 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I thought I read you lost the preorder at Pinballstar? How'd you snag one of these badboys?

People seem to feel neoprene washer, double star. I'll be using a circle of mylar too.

#696 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

He mentioned he doesn't have access to rubber washers.
Send him some HH!

Done.

Quoted from Nepi23:

Thanks. Would you consider using metal washers under the posts a better alternative to plastic washers?
I might have to get the star posts and rubbers, but as they are not readily available for me, I am trying to use an alternative, which I know not being ideal and not as good as the official fix - but however better than have nothing under the posts.

Don't use metal washers or anything hard, it will indent the playfield.

Send me your address in a PM. I'll see how much it is to send you an envelope with rubber washers.

#697 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Done.

Don't use metal washers or anything hard, it will indent the playfield.
Send me your address in a PM. I'll see how much it is to send you an envelope with rubber washers.

You the man Harry! (Didn't mean to toss you into the fire like that.)

You seem a pretty community oriented guy. Good on ya!

#698 4 years ago
Quoted from Maurice:

To prevent ss escapes: lower the coil power. Factory setting does give the ball a high speed velocity that I have almost never seen in a pinball. I believe that should prevent the hammer out of the rubber problem.
I don’t believe the kind of rubber makes a difference.

I think he already did this..

#699 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I thought I read you lost the preorder at Pinballstar? How'd you snag one of these badboys?
People seem to feel neoprene washer, double star. I'll be using a circle of mylar too.

I ended up working out a trade for one

Thx!

#700 4 years ago

ALMOST got my FIRST million!!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
There are 3,006 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 61.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-who-has-playfield-dimples-cracking-wear-around-star-posts-/page/14?hl=marz_78 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.