(Topic ID: 242867)

PoTC - Who has playfield cracking & wear around sling posts?

By harryhoudini

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,006 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinDeadHead
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What kind of issues are you seeing?”

• I have visible dimples but no chipping 47 votes
    22%
  • I can see chipping but haven't done anything yet 69 votes
    32%
  • I can see chipping and installed mylar, washer and/or larger star post 33 votes
    15%
  • My playfield looks fine (but I haven't removed the star posts) 33 votes
    15%
  • I removed the star posts and my playfield looks fine 16 votes
    7%
  • My game had clear washers installed from the factory 16 votes
    7%

(Multiple choice - 214 votes by 202 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8a08956226ce33ab4cbce84ac85256fac4d2c495 (resized).jpg
272de6fede9fee8a8547778ad012df344b85326e (resized).jpg
20200319_164738 (resized).jpg
AEF37959-C604-4A07-B193-2416A6A62929 (resized).jpeg
F10537D7-D970-4859-B5C9-CF482DF29BFA (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200320_103742 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200320_101453 (resized).jpg
917EEAC5-4AC1-4204-BDA8-5497FFCB4BAC (resized).jpeg
83458836-4863-4833-8D88-F5A9E65F9517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3627 (resized).jpeg
20200127_171934 (resized).jpg
Shocked.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
potc2_5234 (resized).jpg
3FC99A16-7187-44B6-811B-16DD827ABC65 (resized).jpeg
20200125_090027 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,006 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 61.
#601 4 years ago

It seems that JJP should rereleased this game with corrected playfields. Which leads to this follow up: how infuriating would that be to all the first adopters?? I tried to buy a potc le, but failed to obtain one. I ended up "settling" on dialed in le. I guess I'm glad I did. I still feel this game deserves more units made, but also to be sorted out, first.

#602 4 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

It seems that JJP should rereleased this game with corrected playfields. Which leads to this follow up: how infuriating would that be to all the first adopters?? I tried to buy a potc le, but failed to obtain one. I ended up "settling" on dialed in le. I guess I'm glad I did. I still feel this game deserves more units made, but also to be sorted out, first.

I think I'll be more interested to hear what they do with the Wonka playfields, as any talk of revisionist Pirates playfields/ future game runs is without evidence.

#603 4 years ago

Do we know if JJP has resolved this issue on more current build/sales and if so is there an approximate manufacturing date?

#604 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Update. It was the rubber on the slings. It is too dense compared to the titan and transfers all the force. I will just fix the hammer escapes as they happen. At least ball is not flying. I wonder if super bands are going to have same problem. An issue for Australia because I don’t know of a titan supplier here.

Pinball Haus in Brisbane is now a Titan Pinball distributor!
https://www.facebook.com/pinballhaus/

#605 4 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

Yes, no issues on my WOZ either and you are correct, posts sitting on clearcoat .. Probably only 500 plays on WOZ .

My WOZ and Hobbit are perfect also... maybe the clear bonds to the wood better than the ink?

#606 4 years ago
Quoted from Titan_Pinball:

Pinball Haus in Brisbane is now a Titan Pinball distributor!
https://www.facebook.com/pinballhaus/

Thanks for that, that makes things much easier. Great product these titan rubbers. They look great and the slings work well with them. Just wish the hammer was a bit longer so it did not escape. Almost thinking of drilling the rivet out of the hammer, moving it up 3mm up the arm and redrilling a new hole to attach.

Will check out the other titans. Curious to give the flipper rubbers a go on my other machines. Stupid question is it titans on the flippers on pirates or standard rubber, it looks like pinball life rubber.

#607 4 years ago

So far I've had no hammer escapes since switching to the lower slot on double star posts+silicone washers.
Will update if that changes but I'm optimistic it's fixed.

#608 4 years ago

Are your slings just as active as stock?

#609 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Are your slings just as active as stock?

I had to adjust the leaf holders a bit after the star posts, after that, yes.

#610 4 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

#611 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

I voted that my game had "My game had clear washers installed from the factory" but they weren't clear...[quoted image]

Mine is the same as this one (CE number 30 - January 2019 build date) with metal washers. To be honest I thought they were a bit out of place looking wise as they are quite large on the playfield, but if prevents damage then I am okay with that. Really sorry to hear on the damage to others

One interesting item also (may have been mentioned before on here so many posts etc so sorry in advance if so). I was looking to purchase a replacement playfield direct from JJP as part of a future proofing anyway a few weeks ago and the CE playfield was an option in April on http://store.jerseyjackpinball.com/Parts/Pirates-of-the-Caribbean-Parts/, but now I can see it has gone off the options list.
1983a599e9276f0134da6473657e7722ac4fad0c.png (resized).png1983a599e9276f0134da6473657e7722ac4fad0c.png (resized).png

#612 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Yeah, I think the width is what we basically agreed on. Not sure there is much to do about that. I suppose you could go back to narrow posts on a petg washer on a neoprene washer, lol. Maybe shave them down a bit to get the height right. It would look crappy but would keep the "diameter" so to speak.

Did we? I don't know about you, but myself- I I feel like I've heard everything at this point by now.

Height was the problem (ZaphX), height isn't the problem it's the width (this poster, a couple others), regular post plus JJP washer equals sling escapes as well (at least one poster), a regular star post is good enough to be the fix after the leaf adjustments (at least one poster).

I think it's still very murky what the least intrusive actual fix really is.

Today the JJP polycarbonate washers for the regular posts arrive. The gents at JJP tell me it's not 'too late' to install them without risk to my playfield despite the lower left post slot looking like the attached picture.

Personally I'm a bit sceptical but unless y'all think they're wrong.

I think I'm gonna go with their judgment and give them a go, given all that I've seen and heard so far being all over the place, and the fact that once you go starpost, you probably can't dial em back to the standards.

So for me it's probably going to be the least invasive fix, then move up to the starposts if the washer fix doesn't actually stop the swelling from turning into chipping. But I definitely need to see how they install first.

In sum, it'll be interesting to see how they look installed and if the tiny bit of lift they provide causes sling escapes.
Screenshot_20190522-095304 (resized).pngScreenshot_20190522-095304 (resized).png

#613 4 years ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

Did we? I don't know about you, but myself- I I feel like I've heard everything at this point by now.
Height was the problem (ZaphX), height isn't the problem it's the width (this poster, a couple others), regular post plus JJP washer equals sling escapes as well (at least one poster), a regular star post is good enough to be the fix after the leaf adjustments (at least one poster).
I think it's still very murky what the least intrusive actual fix really is.
Today the JJP polycarbonate washers for the regular posts arrive. The gents at JJP tell me it's not 'too late' to install them without risk to my playfield despite the lower left post slot looking like the attached picture.
Personally I'm a bit sceptical but unless y'all think they're wrong.
I think I'm gonna go with their judgment and give them a go, given all that I've seen and heard so far being all over the place, and the fact that once you go starpost, you probably can't dial em back to the standards.
So for me it's probably going to be the least invasive fix, then move up to the starposts if the washer fix doesn't actually stop the swelling from turning into chipping. But I definitely need to see how they install first.
In sum, it'll be interesting to see how they look installed and if the tiny bit of lift they provide causes sling escapes.
[quoted image]

If it’s any consolation, the star posts look a lot nicer than the stock posts. I changed over to the star posts with the neoprene washers, no hammer escapes. I had no pf damage, just precaution, but I like the look better.

#614 4 years ago

All playfields are sealed before ink goes on to wood. I do 2 spray coats to my playfields with interior waterbourne Varethane gloss. Been doing it for over 12 years with Sorcerer & other direct ink restorations. New playfields Star Gazer & Seawitch. For finish auto clear coats from Omni, & many other brands they seem to work very well over the years. I always wipe the bare playfield wood with naptha before first seal coat of Varethane.

IMG_0054 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0054 (1) (resized).JPG
#615 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

If it’s any consolation, the star posts look a lot nicer than the stock posts. I changed over to the star posts with the neoprene washers, no hammer escapes. I had no pf damage, just precaution, but I like the look better.

My #1 concern is gameplay but you know what? I think you're right about the cheap ass skinny posts. And worse comes to worse, I have superbands. Should those not work, I have some double posts as well.

Here's what the black-out effect looks like.

Side question- when I get new sling plastics, should I put the little mylar circle on the bottom of the plastic at the spot where the middle post bolt touches it?
IMG_20190523_081740 (resized).jpgIMG_20190523_081740 (resized).jpg

#616 4 years ago

My #1 concern is gameplay but you know what? I think you're right about the cheap ass skinny posts. And worse comes to worse, I have superbands. Should those not work, I have some double posts as well.
Here's what the black-out effect looks like.
Side question- when I get new sling plastics, should I put the little mylar circle on the bottom of the plastic at the spot where the middle post bolt touches it?
[quoted image]

If you put metal 1" washers on the two sling posts without the screw, that will raise the plastic enough so you won't need to worry about the screw touching the plastic. Mine don't touch that screw.

IMG_20190514_134751 (resized).jpgIMG_20190514_134751 (resized).jpg
#617 4 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

You are implying that all games have cracking at the sling posts and that isn't the case.

#618 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

If you put metal 1" washers on the two sling posts without the screw, that will raise the plastic enough so you won't need to worry about the screw touching the plastic. Mine don't touch that screw.[quoted image]

I have lexan ones- I assume that'll do the job the same. Cool!

#619 4 years ago

I have lexan ones- I assume that'll do the job the same. Cool!

You could always add two washers if it needs to be raised more rather then add mylar to the plastic.

#620 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

You are implying that all games have cracking at the sling posts and that isn't the case.

Mine has no cracking, or any other issue, came from latest run.

#621 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

You could always add two washers if it needs to be raised more rather then add mylar to the plastic.

That's what I was talking about, I have two lexan washer circles instead of the metal ones. Same concept, but clear instead of metal.

#622 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Mine has no cracking, or any other issue, came from latest run.

But... Preface that with if the posts had sharp edges, if you had factory washers and how long you've had it and played it. No one had cracking from the factory.

#623 4 years ago

That's what I was talking about, I have two lexan washer circles instead of the metal ones. Same concept, but clear instead of metal.

Clear is way better, even clear is somewhat visible with the gi lighting under the sling. Metal.. ugh! Mylar can't hurt either.

#624 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

If you put metal 1" washers on the two sling posts without the screw, that will raise the plastic enough so you won't need to worry about the screw touching the plastic. Mine don't touch that screw.[quoted image]

So which screw are we trying to avoid the sling plastic touching? I'm still hazy on this...

#625 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

So which screw are we trying to avoid the sling plastic touching? I'm still hazy on this...

The one with the screw head, closest to the inlane.

#626 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

The one with the screw head, closest to the inlane.

The third sling screw, that will hit the underside of the plastic.

#627 4 years ago

3 year old RR posts and indentations. I almost put these nylon washers under the posts, but then I figured "why?" ... they are fine for the last 3 years, why bother now. Weird, these posts aren't sharp. And honestly, they feel heavier and more substantial than the POTC ones. I might be making that up, but that's what it seems like. But damn... look at that playfield, would be nice to have our new >$8500 games look like that.

0523190906 (resized).jpg0523190906 (resized).jpg0523190906a (resized).jpg0523190906a (resized).jpg0523190907 (resized).jpg0523190907 (resized).jpg

#628 4 years ago

If anyone wants part of what I have left, or just the rubber washers, I have a gross of them. These are all not double posts but if someone wants them they are yours, maybe just paypal me shipping cost. I have doubles on the way and probably 20 rubber washers left over. Also might have some lexan washers for you.

0523190841 (resized).jpg0523190841 (resized).jpg
#629 4 years ago
Quoted from lexi:

Mine is the same as this one (CE number 30 - January 2019 build date) with metal washers. To be honest I thought they were a bit out of place looking wise as they are quite large on the playfield, but if prevents damage then I am okay with that. Really sorry to hear on the damage to others
One interesting item also (may have been mentioned before on here so many posts etc so sorry in advance if so). I was looking to purchase a replacement playfield direct from JJP as part of a future proofing anyway a few weeks ago and the CE playfield was an option in April on http://store.jerseyjackpinball.com/Parts/Pirates-of-the-Caribbean-Parts/, but now I can see it has gone off the options list.
[quoted image]

Actually they appear to be in stock...
http://store.jerseyjackpinball.com/Parts/Pirates-of-the-Caribbean-Parts/Pirates-of-the-Caribbean-Playfield.html

#631 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Not CE's though...

Oh, Collectors Edition...my bad

#632 4 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

Oh, Collectors Edition...my bad

It's cool.

#633 4 years ago

Actually not up on Pirates enough to know that the LE and CE use different playfields.

#634 4 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

Actually not up on Pirates enough to know that the LE and CE use different playfields.

You could use either, it's just that only CE buyers were able to buy CE playfields.

#635 4 years ago

I was referring to the CE version. I have contacted JJP today and they have stated that they are sold out. I hope that they commission another batch.

They may have to if owners have damaged playfields both for standard, LE and CE.

#636 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

The best thing that can be said about this thread is that it is not growing it was in the mid-70s poster the other day and has not changed

LOL go figure in one day the thread goes from 75 contributors to 84 more issues or more defenders?

#637 4 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

He said no such thing but even a %5 rate would be a huge issue

#638 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

LOL go figure in one day the thread goes from 75 contributors to 84 more issues or more defenders?

I'm still waiting to read a useful post from you.

#639 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I'm still waiting to read a useful post from you.

He's not even a fun or clever troll.

Keep trying though!

#640 4 years ago

Installed black double notched star posts on the rubber washers. The regular star posts experienced a slipped hammer after only three games so I was like- umm, no. ZaphX mode- engage.

Had the option to keep the original posts with the JJP polycarbonate washers but they were so tiny they not cover the swelled clear. They are basically exactly the same size as the post.
IMG_20190523_152627 (resized).jpgIMG_20190523_152627 (resized).jpg

IMG_20190523_153134 (resized).jpgIMG_20190523_153134 (resized).jpgIMG_20190523_153121 (resized).jpgIMG_20190523_153121 (resized).jpg
#641 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

He's not even a fun or clever troll.
Keep trying though!

If your trying for clever you really do need to keep trying lol

#642 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

It's you're. (not "your")

How's that for clever...

#643 4 years ago

Installed black double notched star posts on the rubber washers. The regular star posts experienced a slipped hammer after only three games so I was like- umm, no. ZaphX mode- engage.
Had the option to keep the original posts with the JJP polycarbonate washers but they were so tiny they not cover the swelled clear. They are basically exactly the same size as the post.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice... blackout those nuts and screws on top

I am waiting for those posts to come in, along with some other color double posts to see what I can come up with. I am rocking the blue/clear right now but I think the amber might look better on top. Or, all black. Could look good with black rings too.

#644 4 years ago

My LE had small clear plastic washers under the skinny stock slingshot posts. The washers have the same size as the skinny posts. The result is some minor swelling of the clear and no chipping or cracking sofar. To me the swelling is a new phenomenon but nothing to worry about. It seems like this is it, since I played nearly +350 4 ball games.
Must say I lowered the force of the ss coils quite a bit just after 10 games and the flippers too since I experienced a ball under the ss plastic and the Balls were lightning fast between the slingshots. Just too fast for my taste.
I also lowered the popbumpers to their almost lowest level (19). This still provides Enough popbumper action for my taste.
Flippers 22, ss coils almost at lowest level (19?).
Do I expect chipping or cracking of the clear near the ss posts in the near future? No. In case it does appear I switch to starposts and adjust the ss switches. I agree that the starposts look better. At least the bottom one should be a starpost, just like on TZ.
Quess I was lucky, since these extra clear washers were instapped from factory. Just below the ss plastic was also installed another washer to protect the plastic from scrathing.

#645 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Not trying for clever, just trying to swat an incessant gnat.

#646 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Nice... blackout those nuts and screws on top
I am waiting for those posts to come in, along with some other color double posts to see what I can come up with. I am rocking the blue/clear right now but I think the amber might look better on top. Or, all black. Could look good with black rings too.

Lol, I'll probably keep the rest factory. At least for now. I like mods to a degree, but usually only to the degree the original designer would take things.

#647 4 years ago

Will order double posts. Was hoping for a more elegant solution. I personally think double posts are pretty ugly in such a prominent position where only the bottom rung has a sling. I hope this resolved the sling issues, getting a bit tired of ordering and buying all these bits, thinking it will resolve but never sure. I am still getting air balls from the slings, and did get escaped sling from original posts. Maybe I need to swap to my spare titans. Really enjoy the game, but a bit disenchanted by Jersey Jack’s lack of response to my email. I also reported a broken opto to them a week ago. No response. I will contact them again.

#648 4 years ago

Oops - wrong thread

#649 4 years ago

Lol, I'll probably keep the rest factory. At least for now. I like mods to a degree, but usually only to the degree the original designer would take things.

Meh... I doubt they would put time in to choosing the right color nuts for various locations. Not to mention the cost of anodized hardware. I like to think I'm "plussing" the original design.

#650 4 years ago

Been replacing rubbers on my WOZ RR and when I got to the castle playfield I removed the narrow posts to pull the rubbers off the bottom (big fat short post rubbers). Low and behold... metal washers. Even though the posts weren't sharp on the bottom. And there was absolutely zero mark on the playfield. Then, I get to a post next to the doors which has a narrow nut on top, so I removed it last.. no washer. And what do I find under it? Marring and denting on the playfield. The irony.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 3,006 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 61.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-who-has-playfield-dimples-cracking-wear-around-star-posts-/page/13?hl=lexi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.