(Topic ID: 242867)

PoTC - Who has playfield cracking & wear around sling posts?

By harryhoudini

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,006 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinDeadHead
  • Topic is favorited by 57 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What kind of issues are you seeing?”

• I have visible dimples but no chipping 47 votes
    22%
  • I can see chipping but haven't done anything yet 69 votes
    32%
  • I can see chipping and installed mylar, washer and/or larger star post 33 votes
    15%
  • My playfield looks fine (but I haven't removed the star posts) 33 votes
    15%
  • I removed the star posts and my playfield looks fine 16 votes
    7%
  • My game had clear washers installed from the factory 16 votes
    7%

(Multiple choice - 214 votes by 202 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8a08956226ce33ab4cbce84ac85256fac4d2c495 (resized).jpg
272de6fede9fee8a8547778ad012df344b85326e (resized).jpg
20200319_164738 (resized).jpg
AEF37959-C604-4A07-B193-2416A6A62929 (resized).jpeg
F10537D7-D970-4859-B5C9-CF482DF29BFA (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200320_103742 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200320_101453 (resized).jpg
917EEAC5-4AC1-4204-BDA8-5497FFCB4BAC (resized).jpeg
83458836-4863-4833-8D88-F5A9E65F9517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3627 (resized).jpeg
20200127_171934 (resized).jpg
Shocked.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
potc2_5234 (resized).jpg
3FC99A16-7187-44B6-811B-16DD827ABC65 (resized).jpeg
20200125_090027 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,006 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 61.
#551 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

To be clear, you're quoting my reply in a conversation that has nothing to do with the post chipping issue, but then talking about the post chipping issue?
The post chipping issue is clearly a real issue affecting many people to one extent or another, caused by what appears to be shoddy posts that were over-tightened during install.

Wrong. It's a defect by design in the type of clear used in this particular game with naked post on clear contact. Already established.

My posts were barely more than hand tightened and the issue accelerated.

#552 4 years ago

Bad post AND bad clear on the PF is what I am seeing. The clear seems soft. It is not supposed be soft. That is not the standard. The bad post just made this worst and damage showed earlier than if the post were correct. There has been rippling around post with flat bottoms. That shows an issue with the clear on the PF IMO. Bad clear will never be a good thing long term on a machine. There will be issues bad post or not.

#553 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

Bad post AND bad clear on the PF is what I am seeing. The clear seems soft. It is not supposed be soft. That is not the standard. The bad post just made this worst and damage showed earlier than if the post were correct. There has been rippling around post with flat bottoms. That shows an issue with the clear on the PF IMO. Bad clear will never be a good thing long term on a machine. There will be issues bad post or not.

Clear was probably supposed to be soft to prevent cracking from repeated man overboard shot and past insert cracking issues from airballage on hard clear. Issues that hit Hobbit pretty hard. No pun intended.

Unfortunately modern clear isn't "easy" to do since many of the old clear chemicals are banned today due to environmental toxin issues.

#554 4 years ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

Wrong. It's a defect by design in the type of clear used in this particular game with naked post on clear contact. Already established.
My posts were barely more than hand tightened and the issue accelerated.

And your posts had no sharp edges and are smooth and flat? Did you post pictures of your posts? I apologize if I missed it. I thought everyone that’s had issues had shoddy posts.

Quoted from Extraballz:

I’d be curious to hear from experts like Vid or others with experience on modern clearcoat of pins. I’ve never cleared my own PF. From my uneducated feel my POTC playfield doesn’t seem any worse than any other modern mirco PF I’ve seen. (I’m not exactly a fan of mirco) But I admit I’m no expert!

#555 4 years ago

Clear was probably supposed to be soft to prevent cracking from repeated man overboard shot and past insert cracking issues from airballage on hard clear.
Unfortunately modern clear isn't "easy" to do since many of the old clear chemicals are banned today due to environmental toxin issues.

Put down Mylar or something else to break the fall. Soft playfield is never a good idea on a pinball machine. That metal ball just creates to much wear and tear to ever use a soft playfield. I agree with clear actually being a hard thing to nail down. I have friends who make custom wood lures that will take a lot of abuse. Believe it or not the one thing that was the toughest to figure out and stay consistent is the clearcoat. They have similar issue to what I see hear. That being said the clear has to be figured out hard or not. I would be doing a lot of R and D into the clear because if it is not right the PF will not be right ever.

#556 4 years ago

I don’t think it is soft clearcoat necessarily because my machine has very very few dimples.

There are the sharp posts, over tightened posts and metal hardware that is literally tearing up balls. You get a burr on a ball and it will tear exposed edges up real quick.

#557 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

So you're allowed to post about your issues as many times as you want, but I'm not allowed to post about my lack of issues?
I post this because newcomers or others who haven't been following get this idea that JJ POTC is some massively problem ridden shit show of a pin that is unreliable and has nothing but a ton of issues. The reality is the opposite. From launch through recent weeks, that never crossed anyone's minds. People posted issues - IF they found any, as just like any complex machine, sporadic issues crop up and if someone gets the pin they might have a similar issue and the info was consolidated by zaphx so people could find the answer in case they had a repeat problem that someone else had a solution for.
Fast forward to today, and because of a handful of people beating a dead horse, posting the same things over and over, and in some cases even trying to seemingly manufacture more people having issues than actually are, there is this notion that JJPOTC is a problem ridden pin and the sky is falling.

You're allowed to post whatever and wherever you wish. But I...am...saying you go out of your way, weekly, to inform people that feel they have issues, that their concerns are invalid. That's a crap attitude to take, not just once, but frequently.

Your stance isn't accurate. I haven't told you not to state anything at all. What I am saying is how you vocalize your lack of issues is purposefully worded in a way that's diminishing to others. You actively go out of your way to tell people that feel they have issues, that those issues have no validity. That would be akin to me saying, "oh, of course you've had problems all along" every time you state you haven't. (And from what I recall reading...you do have sling damage, bit it just doesn't bother you.) Why on earth would I go out of my way, to actively tell you your own words are hollow?

It's funny you mention zaphX as half of my bookmarked posts from before buying the game, were by him. Four months back, he littered that thread daily with half a dozen issues he was experiencing. I didn't post then, and tell him not to be concerned. I've messaged him multiple times thanking him for the problem solving he underwent to every owner's potential benefit. So how are these current issues being raised, any less valuable in being heard, weighed, and problem solved?

Regarding potential owners, as I stated above, I read the terror storm of posts from multiple owners for months prior to buying, and I STILL did. Were you concerned for me as a buyer then? Should I not speak out if I get my new game, and can't even lower the playfield properly? Isn't that something I should ask about on here, and speak directly with JJP about? Man, if you're so concerned with my quality or lack of quality control issues regarding my game, maybe you could alleviate some of my anxiety in coming and working the overtime I've undertaken to afford this game? Otherwise, please allow me to vocalize my concerns, sans feeling anxious about your approval, or anyone else's for that matter.

#558 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I don’t think it is soft clearcoat necessarily because my machine has very very few dimples.
There are the sharp posts, over tightened posts and metal hardware that is literally tearing up balls. You get a burr on a ball and it will tear exposed edges up real quick.

If you get rippling the clear is too soft IMO. If the clear was hard I would think the chips would have happened instantaneously when cranked down on at factory. Not days or months later.

#559 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

You're allowed to post whatever and wherever you wish. But I...am...saying you go out of your way, weekly, to inform people that feel they have issues, that their concerns are invalid. That's a crap attitude to take, not just once, but frequently.
Your stance isn't accurate. I haven't told you not to state anything at all. What I am saying is how you vocalize your lack of issues is purposefully worded in a way that's diminishing to others. You actively go out of your way to tell people that feel they have issues, that those issues have no validity. That would be akin to me saying, "oh, of course you've had problems all along" every time you state you haven't. (And from what I recall reading...you do have sling damage, bit it just doesn't bother you.) Why on earth would I go out of my way, to actively tell you your own words are hollow?

Now you're just putting words into my mouth in an effort to strawman. You're taking things said far too personally. But now we're getting off topic and I'm not going to feed into this kind of "debate".

#560 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

To be clear, you're quoting my reply in a conversation that has nothing to do with the post chipping issue, but then talking about the post chipping issue?
The post chipping issue is clearly a real issue affecting many people to one extent or another, caused by what appears to be shoddy posts that were over-tightened during install.

The post chipping issue...is...what I've been discussing dealing with presently, and ideally lastly. That's what my initial post was about up above, asking for what solutions people are choosing.

#561 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

If you get rippling the clear is too soft IMO. If the clear was hard I would think the chips would have happened instantaneously when cranked down on at factory. Not days or months later.

Have we seen these kinds of posts on any other modern game though and the game did not have a similar issue? Just trying to find a point of reference we could compare to. Isn't the playfield "dimpling" we see in modern pins ultimately a result of the softer clearcoat used today, due to whatever chemicals they have to use today vs older pins? I'm genuinely curious.

#562 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Now you're just putting words into my mouth in an effort to strawman. You're taking things said far too personally. But now we're getting off topic and I'm not going to feed into this kind of "debate".

You told me my concerns are invalid. That's how this "discussion" started.

Me, I'm just trying to resolve this sling issue before it gets potentially worse.

#563 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Have we seen these kinds of posts on any other modern game though and the game did not have a similar issue? Just trying to find a point of reference we could compare to. Isn't the playfield "dimpling" we see in modern pins ultimately a result of the clearcoat used today, due to whatever chemicals they have to use today vs older pins? I'm genuinely curious.

I feel like this issue is a multi prong issue. Clear not right. Bad post and possibly too much movement of said post due poor design. All 3 could be contributing to the chipping issue. But at the heart of the issue I still say the industry doesn’t have the clear issue solved. Not sure them saying they are doing the best they can is going to be acceptable in cases like this. Not saying due diligence isn’t being done on the clearcoat front but there is usually a way if enough R&D is done. I,m guessing there are industries that found a way to make a great clear even after certain chemicals have been banned. Maybe this is the best clear we can get but I doubt it. Maybe the dimpling is more a wood issue? I don’t have all the answers just trying to ask the right questions.

#564 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

I feel like this issue is a multi prong issue. Clear not right. Bad post and possibly too much movement of said post due poor design. All 3 could be contributing to the chipping issue. But at the heart of the issue I still say the industry doesn’t have the clear issue solved. Not sure them saying they are doing the best they can is going to be acceptable in cases like this. Not saying due diligence isn’t being done on the clearcoat front but there is usually a way if enough R&D is done. I,m guessing there are industries that found a way to make a great clear even after certain chemicals have been banned. Maybe this is the best clear we can get but I doubt it. Maybe the dimpling is more a wood issue? I don’t have all the answers just trying to ask the right questions.

I’m totally going to retract my statement. Based on the spooky pinball TNA issue which really looks identical, this does seem like a playfield issue. From that thread with eerily similar pics and issues, it was fixed. It appears to have been a problem with the prep and/or playfield.

JJPOTC uses mirco playfields which aren’t exactly top notch.... If you search for mirco playfield chipping you get quite a few results. This interesting thread even mention WOZ playfield issues.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afm-mirco-playfields-whats-the-wear-situation-after-a-couple-of-years

And this
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-after-4000-plays#post-2278221

#565 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

I’m totally going to retract my statement. Based on the spooky pinball TNA issue which really looks identical, this does seem like a playfield issue. From that thread with eerily similar pics and issues, it was fixed. It appears to have been a problem with the prep and/or playfield.
JJPOTC uses mirco playfields which aren’t exactly top notch.... If you search for mirco playfield chipping you get quite a few results. This interesting thread even mention WOZ playfield issues.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afm-mirco-playfields-whats-the-wear-situation-after-a-couple-of-years
And this

It’s all good. Finding the issues and helping to find solutions so this can stop happening is all that matters IMO.

#566 4 years ago

Has anyone tried to determine if the playfield clearcoat/chipping/rippling issue is consistent across the entire POTC production run? I ask because I've seen a number of earlier production units which do not seem to suffer from this. I wonder if something changed - did JJP alter the manufacturing process in some way?

#567 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Isn't routed just more use?

So as an Aussie I have to ask do you guys mean rooted? (As in a proper root?)

Or is what you’re saying fitting in one of these definitions:

1. defeat and cause to retreat in disorder.
"in a matter of minutes the attackers were routed"
2. cut a groove, or any pattern not extending to the edges, in (a wooden or metal surface).
"you routed each plank all along its length"
3. DIALECT
(of an animal) turn up ground with its snout in search of food.
rummage about.
4. NORTH AMERICAN
find or retrieve.
"as I routed out the lantern, the telephone jangled"
force (someone) from a place.
"Simon routed him from the stables"

Just want to clarify if something weird is happening to all your machines.

Quoted from wesman:

My balls will be more contented and less scraped for the foreseeable future.

See, this is what I’m talking about!!! You should all just stop it! I mean talk about machine abuse.

#568 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

So as an Aussie I have to ask do you guys mean rooted? (As in a proper root?)
Or is what you’re saying fitting in one of these definitions:
1. defeat and cause to retreat in disorder.
"in a matter of minutes the attackers were routed"
2. cut a groove, or any pattern not extending to the edges, in (a wooden or metal surface).
"you routed each plank all along its length"
3. DIALECT
(of an animal) turn up ground with its snout in search of food.
rummage about.
4. NORTH AMERICAN
find or retrieve.
"as I routed out the lantern, the telephone jangled"
force (someone) from a place.
"Simon routed him from the stables"
Just want to clarify if something weird is happening to all your machines.

See, this is what I’m talking about!!! You should all just stop it! I mean talk about machine abuse.

Hmm. None of the above? I guess more akin to on route, on a route. As in someone who services multiple machines in several businesses. From what I know anyway.

Ball abuse, is always a thing to be avoided. That is for certain.

#569 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

So as an Aussie I have to ask do you guys mean rooted?

Routed = on route = by an operator (op) of pinball machines who places their machines on a route = one or more bars/arcades/barcades/bowling alleys, etc that have arcade games & pins

#570 4 years ago

Thanks guys, Oxford certainly needs to update their dictionary.

Hey on another note, my hammer escaped it’s sling last night.

But it had happened with the normal posts as well.

Will keep an eye out.

If it is star posts, I don’t think it is the height, height difference compared to post with Jjp supplied washer was nothing (if not slightly shorter). I think it’s the width. Remember how we had to adjust the switches? They were about 1-2mm further out.

Hopefully it is a one off occurrence. Cos I don’t know how to adjust width.

#571 4 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Has anyone tried to determine if the playfield clearcoat/chipping/rippling issue is consistent across the entire POTC production run? I ask because I've seen a number of earlier production units which do not seem to suffer from this. I wonder if something changed - did JJP alter the manufacturing process in some way?

I have it with a 10/8 build which was pretty early. I think this is pretty widespread which is even more concerning I’d have to imagine for JJP. Can’t really isolate it to a bad batch.

#572 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Thanks guys, Oxford certainly needs to update their dictionary.
Hey on another note, my hammer escaped it’s sling last night.
But it had happened with the normal posts as well.
Will keep an eye out.
If it is star posts, I don’t think it is the height, height difference compared to post with Jjp supplied washer was nothing (if not slightly shorter). I think it’s the width. Remember how we had to adjust the switches? They were about 1-2mm further out.
Hopefully it is a one off occurrence. Cos I don’t know how to adjust width.

Yeah, I think the width is what we basically agreed on. Not sure there is much to do about that. I suppose you could go back to narrow posts on a petg washer on a neoprene washer, lol. Maybe shave them down a bit to get the height right. It would look crappy but would keep the "diameter" so to speak.

#573 4 years ago

Yeah, I think the width is what we basically agreed on. Not sure there is much to do about that. I suppose you could go back to narrow posts on a petg washer on a neoprene washer, lol. Maybe shave them down a bit to get the height right. It would look crappy but would keep the "diameter" so to speak.

So how many sling escapes are you getting??

#574 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

We haven't played a ton since the star posts, my machine has been in and out of being open and apart for various projects (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eliminating-the-dc-pop-on-game-power-on) but only one so far. I've seen one or two other reports of a few escapes too.

#575 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Haven’t had a single escape or failure to fire in over 70 games played since adding the neoprene washers and Starposts.

#576 4 years ago

Stuff this. There should be none. I’ve only had pins for 5 years and only have 4 others, but never had this happen.

I have replaced my left sling with a standard white rubber sling.

The rubber is much stiffer than the pliable clear titan.

Since I now have both installed. I will test and report back

#577 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Stuff this. There should be none. I’ve only had pins for 5 years and only have 4 others, but never had this happen.
I have replaced my left sling with a standard white rubber sling.
The rubber is much stiffer than the pliable clear titan.
Since I now have both installed. I will test and report back

I have clear slingshot superbands on the way and expect they would ameliorate the problem if I notice it in my game. Can't see how the hammer would escape a tight super-band? Of course, I'm waiting on replacement sling plastics before I put it all back together.

#578 4 years ago

I have clear slingshot superbands on the way and expect they would ameliorate the problem if I notice it in my game. Can't see how the hammer would escape a tight super-band? Of course, I'm waiting on replacement sling plastics before I put it all back together.

Did you get sling plastics by themselves? Or did you order the whole set?

#579 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

And this

There are two generations of woz playfields... the first had the bad flaking. Later did not.

#580 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

There are two generations of woz playfields... the first had the bad flaking. Later did not.

Good to know!

#581 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Only a small number of the original playfields by Bader had playfield flaking issues, thankfully a vast majority did not. My WOZ ECLE has a Bader playfield in it and its in as good of shape if not better then my other JJP playfields with Mirco playfields.

#582 4 years ago

Did you get sling plastics by themselves? Or did you order the whole set?

Haven't gotten anything yet.

Oh, for any impatient/busy people out there, I put together a couple sling upgrade kits complete with the star posts, rubber washers and sling plastic protectors needed.

One set clear posts, other set blue.

Asking $25 shipped, free, same day shipping via first class.

If interested PM me

#583 4 years ago

Haven't gotten anything yet.
Oh, for any impatient/busy people out there, I put together a couple sling upgrade kits complete with the star posts, rubber washers and sling plastic protectors needed.
One set clear posts, other set blue.
Asking $25 shipped, free, same day shipping via first class.
If interested PM me

Ah, ok.. as far as I understood there was no option for just sling plastics. One of mine is cracked and they are both worn through where the screw is. I'm ordering an whole set of plastics (not all that expensive) to have spares. And a spare set of decals, mine are already wearing.

#584 4 years ago

Comparison of slightly used Titan (bottom) vs. clear Superband (top).

Wondering why the hammer could be escaping on the Titans on some games- maybe too wide/stretched?

I haven't had a chance to install these yet. Waiting on some other parts.
IMG_20190521_153009 (resized).jpgIMG_20190521_153009 (resized).jpg

#585 4 years ago

The best thing that can be said about this thread is that it is not growing it was in the mid-70s poster the other day and has not changed

#586 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

The best thing that can be said about this thread is that it is not growing it was in the mid-70s poster the other day and has not changed

There are also 70 participating in the Tips/troubleshooting thread. Both were started way after the club thread. Out of the 400+ users in the club thread how many have a game, how many have returned to participate in these threads (are frequent pinside users), etc. Most of the poll respondents have issues, which may very well be skewed due to the nature of the topic, but the number is still quite a few out of how many actual owners are participating here. Also to mention it seems to take a bit of time for this to happen (early games more issues), the production line was changed at some point to include washers of some sort, etc.

I'd like to see JJP send out a survey to all owners, heh. That would tell quite a story, I bet. Ironically, Frank called me this morning on another matter (completely unrelated, I don't think he knew who he was calling aside from another unrelated matter) and I was too surprised to think to bring this up. Doh.

#587 4 years ago

Comparison of slightly used Titan (bottom) vs. clear Superband (top).
Wondering why the hammer could be escaping on the Titans on some games- maybe too wide/stretched?
I haven't had a chance to install these yet. Waiting on some other parts.
[quoted image]

Good thing about this game you can replace sling rubbers without removing the sling plastics or any other playfield parts. Just stretch them over the top.

Have not had any escapes from either my old titan right side or my replaced white rubber left side. The rubber is definitely tighter than the titan.

My slings last night had two battles between them where they picked up the ball and flung it up to the glass and in to the trough. Would be good to be able to turn them down below 16.

#588 4 years ago

Anyone think this is an issue?
[quoted image]
(no, not the square mylar)

"Cliffy, we love you but we won't need your protectors on JJP games....."

#589 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

People posted issues - IF they found any, as just like any complex machine, sporadic issues crop up and if someone gets the pin they might have a similar issue and the info was consolidated by zaphx so people could find the answer in case they had a repeat problem that someone else had a solution for.
Fast forward to today, and because of a handful of people beating a dead horse, posting the same things over and over, and in some cases even trying to seemingly manufacture more people having issues than actually are, there is this notion that JJPOTC is a problem ridden pin and the sky is falling.

All I wanted to do with that guide was to help people find their fixes quickly so they could enjoy this stellar game...and hopefully reduce repeat posts by pulling together the list in one place.

I do worry that it gives an unfair impression to people that you're going to see ALL the problems on the list, even though many of them are definitely one-offs.

So yeah, maybe in the end it was a bad idea. Hopefully it helped a few people and/or averted a few support calls.

#590 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

All I wanted to do with that guide was to help people find their fixes quickly so they could enjoy this stellar game...and hopefully reduce repeat posts by pulling together the list in one place.
I do worry that it gives an unfair impression to people that you're going to see ALL the problems on the list, even though many of them are definitely one-offs.
So yeah, maybe in the end it was a bad idea. Hopefully it helped a few people and/or averted a few support calls.

Not in the least. It's just the state of home owner use, and modern pinball. There are issues that will arise, and in turn, there are certainly not games that will incur any or all of these issues.

Compiling them only helped. Like I mentioned, I read this thread, and of the game's potential issues, and still bought, and discovered just one or two of them, with one of my own being unique.

That's life. Well, pinball life, and home ownership.

#591 4 years ago

I’m finding the star post solution does not work.

Problem: rubber is now further away from hammer equates to hammer hitting with more speed.

Causes:
1. Hammer escapes - every 5th game at the moment. Both titan and white rubber
2. Ball is getting hit so hard it goes airborne, smacks glass and gets flung into trough.

I mentioned it to a pinball repair guy and he told me I can double rubber the sling. Tried this on the star post. Ball now cannot fit in inlanes. Also sensitivity far too low. I guess I could go for double star posts with double rubber. Or I could swap out the solenoids for the next strength down.

EDIT: just removed a whole lot of profanity. I have gone back to Titans, maybe the rubber did not absorb as much impact but passed it on.

I would like jersey jack to come back to us. I am getting too many sling escapes.

#592 4 years ago

Update. It was the rubber on the slings. It is too dense compared to the titan and transfers all the force. I will just fix the hammer escapes as they happen. At least ball is not flying. I wonder if super bands are going to have same problem. An issue for Australia because I don’t know of a titan supplier here.

#593 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

I voted that my game had "My game had clear washers installed from the factory" but they weren't clear...[quoted image]

JJP should have at least made them gold colored to match the theme of Pirates/Treasure/Scoundrels!

#594 4 years ago

This is happening on our Pirates as well, looked over the rest of the collection and lo and behold - it's not only JJP games this is happening with!!

IMG_20190520_180645 (resized).jpgIMG_20190520_180645 (resized).jpg
#595 4 years ago
Quoted from CafeOne:

This is happening on our Pirates as well, looked over the rest of the collection and lo and behold - it's not only JJP games this is happening with!![quoted image]

But again a narrow post. Interesting. Thanks for the update.

#596 4 years ago

Both my Batman and Pirates seem to be suffering from excessive dimpling (soft clearcoat)

#597 4 years ago

You peaked my curiosity and got me looking at my DILE and WOZECLE. Noticed on WOZECLE that the artwork does not continue underneath both slings and the posts do sit directly on bare wood.

#598 4 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

You peaked my curiosity and got me looking at my DILE and WOZECLE. Noticed on WOZECLE that the artwork does not continue underneath both slings and the posts do sit directly on bare wood.

Bare wood? While the artwork doesn't carry over on my SE or RR WOZ the posts look to sit right on the clear. They have no issues, btw... either game, both routed and many plays.

#599 4 years ago

I put mylar and starposts under my slings. No wear so far there. But I found the beginning of chipping under the Metalpost of the second sidelane on the left. Put on mylar there and hope this will help.

4D1F65C8-44B0-4107-B2C5-57B37E4B0DA9 (resized).jpeg4D1F65C8-44B0-4107-B2C5-57B37E4B0DA9 (resized).jpeg
#600 4 years ago

Bare wood? While the artwork doesn't carry over on my SE or RR WOZ the posts look to sit right on the clear. They have no issues, btw... either game, both routed and many plays.

Yes, no issues on my WOZ either and you are correct, posts sitting on clearcoat .. Probably only 500 plays on WOZ .

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
There are 3,006 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 61.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-who-has-playfield-dimples-cracking-wear-around-star-posts-/page/12?hl=extraballz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.