(Topic ID: 242867)

PoTC - Who has playfield cracking & wear around sling posts?

By harryhoudini

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,006 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinDeadHead
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What kind of issues are you seeing?”

• I have visible dimples but no chipping 47 votes
    22%
  • I can see chipping but haven't done anything yet 69 votes
    32%
  • I can see chipping and installed mylar, washer and/or larger star post 33 votes
    15%
  • My playfield looks fine (but I haven't removed the star posts) 33 votes
    15%
  • I removed the star posts and my playfield looks fine 16 votes
    7%
  • My game had clear washers installed from the factory 16 votes
    7%

(Multiple choice - 214 votes by 202 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8a08956226ce33ab4cbce84ac85256fac4d2c495 (resized).jpg
272de6fede9fee8a8547778ad012df344b85326e (resized).jpg
20200319_164738 (resized).jpg
AEF37959-C604-4A07-B193-2416A6A62929 (resized).jpeg
F10537D7-D970-4859-B5C9-CF482DF29BFA (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200320_103742 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200320_101453 (resized).jpg
917EEAC5-4AC1-4204-BDA8-5497FFCB4BAC (resized).jpeg
83458836-4863-4833-8D88-F5A9E65F9517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3627 (resized).jpeg
20200127_171934 (resized).jpg
Shocked.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
potc2_5234 (resized).jpg
3FC99A16-7187-44B6-811B-16DD827ABC65 (resized).jpeg
20200125_090027 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,006 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 61.
#451 4 years ago

Picked my nib le up yesterday and have everything set up. Should I put the neoprene washers under the post on the slings the game came with? Any other post that need attention? For the record there are no washers under my post.

#452 4 years ago
Quoted from estrader:

Picked my nib le up yesterday and have everything set up. Should I put the neoprene washers under the post on the slings the game came with? Any other post that need attention? For the record there are no washers under my post.

Best course is to call JJP for the polycarbonate washers and don't play any more games till you install them.

Not saying they're fail-proof- its still a hard surface to the clear- but they're what JJP installs on the new games and way less risky than naked post to clear..

Ideally- I'd think you should get neoprene washers that are the exact size of the existing posts, since even 3/4" neoprene versions of the polycarbonate would likely curl.

They don't exist yet to my knowledge, however.

#453 4 years ago

Probably sell it before this happens

#454 4 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

Probably sell it before this happens

You don't even own the game, offer opinions for fixes, troll others to sell- so..

why (resized).jpgwhy (resized).jpg
#455 4 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

Star posts and don't make them gorilla tight when installing.

Sorry you are wrong, even the star posts from the factory are making the clear wavy.

20190514_201050 (resized).jpg20190514_201050 (resized).jpg
#456 4 years ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

Have you experienced escaped kickers with your solution?

Not yet. But out of several hundred games setup stock, it happened maybe two or three times. It's really of zero concern to me.

#457 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

What setting did you end up dialing it down to? Figure I'd do that as well.

All the way. Extreme low power! I think it was a 14 ms pulse time.

#458 4 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Sorry you are wrong, even the star posts from the factory are making the clear wavy.
[quoted image]

Gorilla tight right there.

#459 4 years ago

You don't even own the game, offer opinions for fixes, troll others to sell- so..[quoted image]

The selling is a joke. When I get the game, I will be doing The fix that I'm suggesting.

#460 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

'm using Titans. Just ordered some PerfectPlay and will try those. I never saw the escapes until the post mod.

Mine escaped last mine escaped the slings last night. Have not changed the posts. Sling strength down to minimum. So it happens before post modification.

#461 4 years ago

Just checked the JJPOTC at Boxcar in Raleigh, it’s #183 LE. It’s got the same issue.

Disclaimer: I do not own this machine and just want to help with other people’s issues

15E3F9F8-9CF7-4113-95D7-4A3DD5D7C638 (resized).jpeg15E3F9F8-9CF7-4113-95D7-4A3DD5D7C638 (resized).jpeg1FE04FF7-9FA2-4848-9768-B0C9257AD342 (resized).jpeg1FE04FF7-9FA2-4848-9768-B0C9257AD342 (resized).jpeg284396A5-B127-42A1-9780-75AF99CC67E8 (resized).jpeg284396A5-B127-42A1-9780-75AF99CC67E8 (resized).jpeg6AE39F90-F839-4B3F-8632-67571D9BDE25 (resized).jpeg6AE39F90-F839-4B3F-8632-67571D9BDE25 (resized).jpeg8DC4356E-C2B0-4F70-A5E5-1FCE63A1C100 (resized).jpeg8DC4356E-C2B0-4F70-A5E5-1FCE63A1C100 (resized).jpegE6332A60-201B-441F-88A9-B9B66129FCF8 (resized).jpegE6332A60-201B-441F-88A9-B9B66129FCF8 (resized).jpeg
#462 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Mine escaped last mine escaped the slings last night. Have not changed the posts. Sling strength down to minimum. So it happens before post modification.

Well that's an interesting datapoint.

#463 4 years ago
Quoted from CollinT:

Just checked the JJPOTC at Boxcar in Raleigh, it’s #183 LE. It’s got the same issue.
Disclaimer: I do not own this machine and just want to help with other people’s issues
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That's a CE not an LE! Wow, surprised to see a CE on location.

#464 4 years ago
Quoted from CollinT:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Oh man. That's a Collector's Edition....

I wonder why they'd place that on route. I've heard Sunshine does the same thing.

#465 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Oh man. That's a Collector's Edition....
I wonder why they'd place that on route. I've heard Sunshine does the same thing.

It doesn’t play well.
Has the SDTM Tortuga issue at least.

It is surprising that it’s on location.

I played it.

#466 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

That's a CE not an LE! Wow, surprised to see a CE on location.

Boxcar has 3 locations- all stern LEs and JJP LEs and CEs. They have some nice pins. I go to the Greensboro location every few weeks. Boxcar Greensboro only has Dialed In LE and Hobbit LE

#467 4 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

Boxcar has 3 locations- all stern LEs and JJP LEs and CEs. They have some nice pinsz. I go to the Greensboro location every few weeks.

That’s the one I haven’t been to.
I thought they just had the two.

Unfortunately, RR WOZ at Durham also had issues. Ball would keep getting stuck in the upper right playfield and pretty much kill the game and it happened multiple times.

Not all tables are bad, though..

#468 4 years ago
Quoted from estrader:

I was incorrect. It appears they have glued the washers to the post. Couldn’t tell until I removed some of the post to put the neoprene washers on.

On a bright note this game is killer. I have to say Eric did an amazing job with this game.

The spinning disc is still loud. My born on date is 3/12/19.

#469 4 years ago
Quoted from estrader:

The spinning disc is still loud. My born on date is 3/12/19.

Soccer ball in WCS is much worse. You could contact Yelobird about the mod couples disc silencing kit

#470 4 years ago

I’m happy to report that the star posts with the Lowe’s neoprene washer works fine with very and I mean very minor leaf switch adjustment.

Doesn’t look bad either, went with 2 teal and 1 amber on each side and don’t see how these washers could dig in.

BCB86779-6751-4E07-A23D-6EC9B10EB731 (resized).jpegBCB86779-6751-4E07-A23D-6EC9B10EB731 (resized).jpegDFA4533F-5E1E-41AF-A879-D40BD6489768 (resized).jpegDFA4533F-5E1E-41AF-A879-D40BD6489768 (resized).jpeg
#471 4 years ago

Congrats! Looks great. No more chipping for you sir! Still waiting for JJP to reply but if have not heard anything by next week will do the same.

I just hope my ripple under the star post under the ramp does not chip. It is so close to the roll over I don’t think I can protect it. Other people have shown the photo multiple times.

Maybe a cliffy could be made to sit under this star post and under the rollover? May obscure too much playfield. Is a high traffic area.

#472 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I’m happy to report that the star posts with the Lowe’s neoprene washer works fine with very and I mean very minor leaf switch adjustment.
Doesn’t look bad either, went with 2 teal and 1 amber on each side and don’t see how these washers could dig in.[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks fantastic and love those flippers as well !

#473 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Congrats! Looks great. No more chipping for you sir! Still waiting for JJP to reply but if have not heard anything by next week will do the same.
I just hope my ripple under the star post under the ramp does not chip. It is so close to the roll over I don’t think I can protect it. Other people have shown the photo multiple times.
Maybe a cliffy could be made to sit under this star post and under the rollover? May obscure too much playfield. Is a high traffic area.

I just wanted to get playing this great game again.

That cliffy your describing may not look too good, you want least intrusive as possible.

I have a feeling the JJP remedy is going to be a decal, not sure why but just a hunch. After having these star posts on I like the look better.

#474 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Doesn’t look bad either, went with 2 teal and 1 amber on each side and don’t see how these washers could dig in.[quoted image][quoted image]

Very nice work! Do keep us in the loop as to how things hold up with these installed. I think I'll get to my own tomorrow.

Did you put mylar down at all in addition?

#475 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Very nice work! Do keep us in the loop as to how things hold up with these installed. I think I'll get to my own tomorrow.
Did you put mylar down at all in addition?

I did not add Mylar under the neoprene washer. Just don’t see a benefit with how they washers feel. I was hesitant to put anything that was adhesive over any of the cracked or flaked area as it would likely remove material if ever removed or it it shifted during game play.

These neoprene washers are soft enough to compress under pressure but firm enough to provide a adequate level of support for the base of star post. I feel like they should not slide or shift under the post either.

#476 4 years ago

One observation I made that may be a contributing factor to damage cause by the original sling posts with sharp edges is the way the holes are drilled into the pf for the sling post.

Compared to some of the other machines I have that I checked, the sling posts require just a little more torque than some of my other machines to prevent the sling post from being wobbly. This could be the cause of the rippling everywhere. General overtightening but I still firmly believe the cracks and chips are from the posts with the sharp edges.

#477 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Maybe change out to the perfect plays you have on order before you switch your posts again. I know you've got a lot of plays on your game, the Titans' sling performance is affected after a while and maybe need to be changed as worn out? Could be wrong but if right it's certainly the better fix of the two..

#478 4 years ago

Maybe change out to the perfect plays you have on order before you switch your posts again. I know you've got a lot of plays on your game, the Titans' sling performance is affected after a while and maybe need to be changed as worn out? Could be wrong but if right it's certainly the better fix of the two..

Only had the game for 2 weeks. Maybe 100 games tops.

Quoted from Psw757:

One observation I made that may be a contributing factor to damage cause by the original sling posts with sharp edges is the way the holes are drilled into the pf for the sling post.
Compared to some of the other machines I have that I checked, the sling posts require just a little more torque than some of my other machines to prevent the sling post from being wobbly. This could be the cause of the rippling everywhere. General overtightening but I still firmly believe the cracks and chips are from the posts with the sharp edges.

The holes in the playfield are too big for the bolt, so the bolt can move around. Other games have a much smaller hole and the bolt is snug. This contributes to the posts having to be over tightened so they don’t move around.

I think they made the hole to fit the larger t-nut underneath.

#479 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Only had the game for 2 weeks. Maybe 100 games tops.

The holes in the playfield are too big for the bolt, so the bolt can move around. Other games have a much smaller hole and the bolt is snug. This contributes to the posts having to be over tightened so they don’t move around.

Exactly, this has me scratching my head on why they did this.

Forgot to add that I played several games and using the factory rubbers and zero hammer escapes of rapid fires.

#480 4 years ago

Is this the only Jersey Jack machine doing this?

#481 4 years ago

Pardon early morning post I misread this one completely. Very interesting. I'm tempted to ask Evan Smith our local tech wizard what he'd do if anything to help control these symptoms.

#482 4 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Sadly no, they have all had issues at one time. woz had big chunks of art by the pop bumpers chip and peel off, dialed in had paint chips around the scoop with very low plays.

#483 4 years ago
Quoted from CollinT:

Disclaimer: I do not own this machine

It is a shame you feel the need to post this

#484 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

High traffic or not, I think if routed PoTCs haven't cracked in this spot yet it's probably fairly safe in the home environment, even with the tiny bit of rippling being annoying, as it is around all the other posts in the machine. As before, turn down sling intensity to minimum as best practice in this zone as well.

#485 4 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Haven’t seen any issues with other jjp games. The trees on woz was fairly limited and only on heavily routed games. I have no cliffys on the hobbit and have no wear anywhere. Dialed in had cracking on the sim hole post, but a cliffy addresses that.

#486 4 years ago

High traffic or not, I think if routed PoTCs haven't cracked in this spot yet it's probably fairly safe in the home environment, even with the tiny bit of rippling being annoying, as it is around all the other posts in the machine. As before, turn down sling intensity to minimum as best practice in this zone as well.

I think your assessment is correct assuming you don’t have any f’ed up sharp bottom posts on your machine.

I would check them all and if they are sharp either file them down to a smooth flat bottom or replace.

#487 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Haven’t seen any issues with other jjp games. The trees on woz was fairly limited and only on heavily routed games. I have no cliffys on the hobbit and have no wear anywhere. Dialed in had cracking on the sim hole post, but a cliffy addresses that.

My WOZ had major cracking around all pops (state fair and all trees) and in front of the winky. All 3 major areas are covered by decals JJP produced, so they were fully aware of this issue and all these areas being a problem.

#488 4 years ago

I'm gonna throw this out there... I wonder if mylar under the neoprene washers might be a good idea. I wonder if the neoprene is soft enough that repeated shock from the sling arm and ball will give some vibration and make the star posts and washers move every so slightly that it will scuff or ruff up the playfield under the washers. I have yet to install, so just spitballing but maybe someone else can chime in. I'm just worried about anyone having long term effects (wider area on the playfield) from these fixes. I guess the TNA folks might know more on this, if anyone has pulled them up after having them for some time.

#489 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

I'm gonna throw this out there... I wonder if mylar under the neoprene washers might be a good idea. I wonder if the neoprene is soft enough that repeated shock from the sling arm and ball will give some vibration and make the star posts and washers move every so slightly that it will scuff or ruff up the playfield under the washers. I have yet to install, so just spitballing but maybe someone else can chime in. I'm just worried about anyone having long term effects (wider area on the playfield) from these fixes. I guess the TNA folks might know more on this, if anyone has pulled them up after having them for some time.

If there is any cracking or flaking I think Mylar is a mistake and calculus likely never be removed without further damage.

Don’t think these post will spin on the neoprene and don’t think the neoprene washer itself can spin as long as they are right.

The way this neoprene feels I’m confident tightening slightly more is ok without incurring further damage to the PF.

#490 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

If there is any cracking or flaking I think Mylar is a mistake and calculus likely never be removed without further damage.
Don’t think these post will spin on the neoprene and don’t think the neoprene washer itself can spin as long as they are right.
The way this neoprene feels I’m confident tightening slightly more is ok without incurring further damage to the PF.

I was thinking more about "vibrating" than spinning, but good to get some input. I am thinking that if there is loose enough stuff on the PF that the mylar brings it up then it was going to come off anyhow. I'll try and pull some up when I get the washers in. In fact, I did pull one up after putting it down and it didn't pull anything new up, so not long term but one data point.

#491 4 years ago

I was thinking more about "vibrating" than spinning, but good to get some input. I am thinking that if there is loose enough stuff on the PF that the mylar brings it up then it was going to come off anyhow. I'll try and pull some up when I get the washers in. In fact, I did pull one up after putting it down and it didn't pull anything new up, so not long term but one data point.

rubber and neoprene are probably the best vibration dampening materials you can use. Should absorb much of the energy instead of transferring directly to the PF.

#492 4 years ago

Ok, I got my double star posts. I compared the height with the originals.

You can see here: original post, double star with silcone washer, and star with silicone washer. The channel on the double star is almost perfectly where the original post channel was.

I am pretty happy with this and hopefully this is case closed.

IMG_1002.jpegIMG_1002.jpegIMG_1003.jpegIMG_1003.jpegIMG_1004.jpegIMG_1004.jpeg
#493 4 years ago

Seems to me that the wider drilled holes are possibly a big part of the culprit. I don’t think it would ripple without the lateral movement. Has anyone tried putting a sleeve over the screw to prevent this movement?

#494 4 years ago

Nice @zaphx! Looks like I have some double posts to order.

On another note, here is a what a WOZ with the "same" posts looks like after 20k plays, no protection, no changes. And here is what the throne room hole looks like without protection. After 20k plays and 3 years this looks better than POTC after a few months! I posted a POTC on route that already has chipping (not wear, chipping) on the tortuga hole. Something is definitely, DEFINITELY wrong with these playfields.

0518191208 (resized).jpg0518191208 (resized).jpg0518191209 (resized).jpg0518191209 (resized).jpg
#495 4 years ago

PinMonk what are your thoughts here, neoprene washers, star posts and mylar or no mylar?

#496 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Ok, I got my double star posts. I compared the height with the originals.
You can see here: original post, double star with silcone washer, and star with silicone washer. The channel on the double star is almost perfectly where the original post channel was.
I am pretty happy with this and hopefully this is case closed.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Cool! Play the heck out of it to confirm this resolved the slipped hammer issue.

Regardless- I'm going to follow your lead (thank you), as it is common sense that the sling height should be the same if possible post-mod.

Side note- I forgot for a moment the sling plastics go back on, so when done I'd not really find the extra notch to stand out as much. In any event, the game playing error free and safely takes precedent over all.

See below for BLACK double posts from Marco for those interested to align on top of the black neoprene washer from Lowe's.

While the clear looks great I just want to fix this and forget it, and I know those gummy washers you use are a bit controversial, with the eating the post rumors and stuff.

Plus, 'blacking it out" is kind of a cool mod spin on it.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8247-7

#497 4 years ago

Nice zaphx! Looks like I have some double posts to order.
On another note, here is a what a WOZ with the "same" posts looks like after 20k plays, no protection, no changes. And here is what the throne room hole looks like without protection. After 20k plays and 3 years this looks better than POTC after a few months! I posted a POTC on route that already has chipping (not wear, chipping) on the tortuga hole. Something is definitely, DEFINITELY wrong with these playfields. [quoted image][quoted image]

We've already discussed in the club forum that this clear is different, softer stuff more likely to absorb man overboard drops and not crack. Though dimples are also much more apparent with the change.

Earlier games like Hobbit with "harder" clear had clearcoat/insert crack problems with airballage.

Obviously continuous slingshot post pressure was not taken into account when making this change.

Thus, the thing "WRONG" with the playfield is that the posts don't have recessed areas where the posts can sit independent of the clear. No more, no less.

And Lowe's black neoprene washers with double black star posts from Marco are the fix!!!

Pinball- always something...

*The gummies that ZaphX uses may work as well as the black neoprene but are controversial as they may chemically eat that star post plastic itself.

#498 4 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Seems to me that the wider drilled holes are possibly a big part of the culprit. I don’t think it would ripple without the lateral movement. Has anyone tried putting a sleeve over the screw to prevent this movement?

I’ve been thinking the same thing... if the t-nut underneath is solid, and the original thin posts inner shaft is tight where you almost have to press it onto the bolt, then the bolt doesn’t need to be very tight at all, just snug. Then the bolt / t-nut takes all the force of ball hits. My Pirates arrives next week and is probably one of the last off the line - fingers crossed there’s washers already installed.

#499 4 years ago

We've already discussed in the club forum that this clear is different, softer stuff more likely to absorb man overboard drops and not crack. Though dimples are also much more apparent with the change.
Earlier games like Hobbit with "harder" clear had clearcoat/insert crack problems with airballage.
Obviously continuous slingshot post pressure was not taken into account when making this change.
Thus, the thing "WRONG" with the playfield is that the posts don't have recessed areas where the posts can sit independent of the clear. No more, no less.
And Lowe's black neoprene washers with double black star posts from Marco are the fix!!!
Pinball- always something...
*The gummies that ZaphX uses may work as well as the black neoprene but are controversial as they may chemically eat that star post plastic itself.

Good recap. Sounds like the drilling out really could be the actual fix before the playfield goes to shit.

#500 4 years ago

Good recap. Sounds like the drilling out really could be the actual fix before the playfield goes to shit.

Well, for location games maybe. I suspect home games are good to go once properly washered and star posted, like TNA.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanted
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 3,006 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 61.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-who-has-playfield-dimples-cracking-wear-around-star-posts-/page/10?hl=gamerrick and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.