• POTC 29 votes
    40%
  • Black Rose 11 votes
    15%
  • POTC even at twice the price 21 votes
    29%
  • Black Rose and another $2K game would be better to have 12 votes
    16%

(Multiple choice - 73 votes by 68 Pinsiders)

#1 10 years ago

Just gathering respected pinsider opinions...Which do you think is the better playing/more fun machine? What is better about one versus the other? Don't factor in the price. Thanks for your input.

#2 10 years ago

Oooh, this sounds like a fun topic. Pirate vs. Pirate.
I've only play POTC a couple of times, never BR. Would love to hear thoughts.

#3 10 years ago

Vote for POTC here....BR got old after a handful of games. POTC's wizard mode is pretty challenging to get to and complete...I am still working on it...Damn you Heart Multiball!

#4 10 years ago

I lean towards POTC, but to be fair I owned it for a while and have only played BR in the arcade. I liked it and would consider bringing one in house for a while. I think though that I'd be tired of BR fairly quick though.

#5 10 years ago

I can't say I enjoy either one all that much but I guess I would rather play POTC. BR just seems boring compared to bashing the ship. Although I like BR for having an original theme, if POTC was just generic pirates I would like it alot more.

#6 10 years ago

btw75 - may I ask why you no longer have POTC? Thanks

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from gac:

btw75 - may I ask why you no longer have POTC? Thanks

I tired of it quickly and then had the chance to trade it +$ for a TZ. Happy with that decision so far, but my kids are not.

#8 10 years ago

POTC. play, sound, lights, etc are much better IMO.

#9 10 years ago

Gotta agree with above sentiment that getting to and finishing the wiz mode on POTC is a real bear. It's not a bear in the same way that LOTR or TSPP are a bear, because the objectives are VERY CLEAR and right there in the middle of the playfield, but a few of them are a real bitch... specifically, I hate hate hate the Jack the Monkey shot, not because it's not a good placement, but the reward for doing it is laughable. It's like a 2 mil hurryup when a single Heart jackpot (prior to multiball mind you) can be worth that much, but to complete Jack, you have to make four shots to start it then another one in very rapid succession to pick up the full value...it's just retarded how dangerous that shot is for the award given. That, along with actually whacking Davy Jones (hitting the ship like 5-6 times while it's moving in and out of the lane) is almost always what's kept me out of Four Winds. And keep in mind that right now my game has a LOT of extra balls...I think it's awarding on Special every time, and on treasure pickups. I had like a 45 minute game the other night with like four or five extra balls and the outlanes pulled closed and rarely if ever had an actual break....got to Four Winds once, drained out pretty quickly, got all the way back except for JackHatMonkey and had an extra ball lit when I drained my last ball.

#10 10 years ago

POTC is a better pin but BR is a great pin as well. I loved it and had a very nice one that was dialed in. Hitting a ball off the lower stand-ups that bounces to the middle then upper standups is such a COOL shot. I missed it the day after I traded it and wish I could get it back....especially for the price I paid. Owened both and still have POTC, but would buy another BR......

#11 10 years ago

I've owned both - POTC was way more fun for me.

#12 10 years ago

Black Rose was my first machine. Was fun for a while, but wasn't a lifetime keeper in my opinion. Have only played POTC in the wild, but it seems like a fun machine. For a home situation, I gotta imagine that POTC has way more lastability. Black Rose would be good, IMHO, in a (very) large collection. Just my $0.02. YMMV.

#14 10 years ago

I liked BR better than POTC when playing in the arcade. I bought a BR and it does get old pretty quick. I really wish it had better music.It would be better in a larger collection as others have stated. One think it has done is made me a better player with that upper right flipper shot to Davey Jones Locker.

#15 10 years ago

Potc blows br out of the water !!!!!

#16 10 years ago

I actually have both games and like them almost equally. Though, BR would be the first to go if I need some room.

OP can add a poll?

#17 10 years ago

POTC IMHO. Although, it's all in personal opinion.

Poll would be great!

#18 10 years ago

Poll added. You can vote for more than one choice. Choices 3 & 4 take price into account. Great feedback so far! Thanks

#19 10 years ago

I have spent a lot of time on both, and I'd go POTC..... Black Rose is a blast, though.

#20 10 years ago

No contest here at all. POTC by 14 lengths.

#21 10 years ago

The cannon in Black Rose is cooler than anything they did in the boring POTC which I wanted to like so much. The ship is cool but rest of the game is slow moving to me.

#22 10 years ago

BR is a really fun game.
I owned a nice example and its a title I would own again without thought.
Nothing bad to say against POTC except the cost.

1 week later
#23 10 years ago

I own a BR, and have played POTC a fair # of times. Pins are difficult to compare. BR is faster & flows better, but isn't as deep as POTC. POTC has the advantage of new tech so it sounds/looks more modern.
I would not mind having both, but I am not a huge fan of the POTC pf. Everything seems to be in the front,the sneeze guard is a bit of a distraction and I like to actually see pop bumpers. To be fair, the BR cannon is incredibly annoying to level and if it isn't level, it can cause serious air balls.

I'm not a fan of the "which is better" threads. Why not point out what you like/dislike about each. Makes for better reading too.

#24 10 years ago

I have owned both, just traded away BR. You have to really learn the rules to BR to appreciate it, it is a great game. POTC is fun but just in a different way than BR. That old Bally/williams feel is awesome, Pirates feels very "sterny", don't know how else to say it... I wouldn't have parted with BR but someone I knew really wanted it so I worked in a trade with them, would've liked to have kept it.

#25 10 years ago

I own POTC, and have played BR. I prefer the new game POTC, just feel better in game play.

#26 10 years ago

I had POTC for a month and got bored. Lot's of stop and go. Picked up a Hook and like it better than both. Played Black Rose and didn't think it was that great.

#27 10 years ago

BR for me, didn't care for POTC

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 34.95
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucaipa, CA
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 18.00
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

€ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 218.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-vs-black-rose-which-is-better and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.