(Topic ID: 115738)

PoTC Ship sticking when going down, what is the p/n for the collar?

By KeithinMI

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by KeithinMI
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

detail.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider KeithinMI.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Greetings fellow PoTC enthusiasts. My PotC is having a small issue with the ship sticking when going down.

It works fine if you raise the playfield up or have the playfield up and run the tests. Will run up and down over and over.

Sails retract fine every time and are not the binding point, and neither are the wires. Already checked those.

So I talked to Stern and they suggested the wear-track was worn. On that recommendation, I replaced that, including a new pin and washer. It runs smoother now, but still sticks when the playfield is in the down (playing) position. I gave it a good look and realized that there is some "play" or "slop" in the ship and when the pf is down the ship tilts slightly forward and the front of the ship actually hits (and binds against) the actuator level coming from the gearbox. The play appears to be coming from the pivot point on the front of the ship, the opposite end from where the wear track is. The actual movement of the ship 'tilt' forward is approx. 1/8" or so but it's just enough to make it stick on the actuator arm pin as the ship tries to slide by it.

So, should be no big deal, right? Just replace the collar, right?

Look at the blue pages of the PoTC manual and you see the pirate ship on pages 79-82. That pivot point has a brass/copper collar that fits through the ship frame, over the actuator arm pin and then has a 254-5048-00 25/64 ID X 1/2 OD X .35 LG spacer that fits over it, and it is held on by 270-5002-00 1/4" retaining ring. However that collar has no part number. I even looked at the ship frame assembly on Marco, it is 515-7573-000, that collar appears to be already mounted in the ship frame. I was able to slide it right out of the frame, so either it's not permanently in there or mine has come loose.

I think the I.D. of that collar has just worn enough to allow the ship to "flop" forward and stick. I'd order one since I'm guessing it's a $3.00 part, but can't find the p/n for it.

The picture of the frame is attached from Marco's site. You'll see the "rear" larger hole at the bottom. That is where the collar goes through, and has the collar. Is that piece available separately? It's black in the picture.

Can anyone chime in with the part number and where to source one? I sorted Marco's parts for PoTC several ways and browsed through, but don't see it.

Unless someone has another solution to tighten up the ship to remove that 'tilt' when the pf is in the normal position. BTW, the wear track pin is secured with a locknut and that's tight, as are the 4 screws that hold the wear track to the ship frame.

I'm guessing I just need to order a new frame, but want to confirm so, if anyone else has had the same issue.

the link to the part is http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/515-7573-00 if you want to look at the 4 views of it to get an idea of what i'm talking about.

Thanks

detail.jpgdetail.jpg

1 week later
#5 9 years ago

It turns out you can't buy just the collar. It's integral to the part above (the ship frame).

However, what turned out to be my problem was the replacement pirate ship I ordered. It's made of that soft pliable plastic and it actually bowed outwards on the back, away from the ship frame, *just enough* to catch the screw that holds the rotating lever to the gearbox pin.

So, I heated up the pirate ship using a hair dryer on low to make the plastic soft. I then 'flattened' it with my hands and while holding it flat, went outside in the freezing Michigan winter for about 2 minutes to let it harden. As soon as I did that, it completely clears the screw. I did have a chance to get my hands into a reasonably "new" PotC and it has the same amount of "play" as mine does, although the bushing seemed to be a bit more firm in the frame then mine was

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucaipa, CA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 18.00
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 218.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider KeithinMI.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-ship-sticking-when-going-down-what-is-the-pn-for-the-collar?tu=KeithinMI and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.