Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Montu32
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Yesterday I installed the weir LEDs on the ship. When I reinstalled the ship It doesn't work properly. I must have tweaked something in the process. Worked perfectly before. Ship will sink halfway when ball hits it. You can hear motor running and ship is trying to do something. If I sink ship it sinks then pops right back up and stays up when battle kraken. When I first turn on machine ship pops up but takes effort. Need to help it sometimes. I've removed the ship a half do en times to check clearence and make sure moves smoothly. Any advice?

Post edited by pinhacker71 : Status. Update

#2 11 years ago

maybe the wire you ran down from the leds is catching on something? I remember having to meticulously zip tie things to neaten things up. keep us posted

#3 11 years ago

Sounds like mechanical binding. Try lubricating it. I worked on one that was pretty well seized up.

#4 11 years ago

Rerouted the wire and used dry lube on some of the mechanics and still does same thing. Frustrating.

#5 11 years ago

Is it not sinking properly during a game or while you're testing it? If you leave the coin door open while testing, the ship won't sink. If you haven't already, run the ship test with the coin door closed. Use the start button to start the test. Watch the switches. One of them is likely out of adjustment. The blues section of the manual has detailed disassembly instructions and diagrams.

#6 11 years ago

There is a switch when it is all the way down and switch when it is all the way up(i think). There is a diag test mode that shows the switches and sends the ship up and down.

Motor shaft might be slipping

#7 11 years ago

Doesn't work with glass off and rolling balls at ship. On first hit it half sinks and doesn't come back up. When I roll a few more and it sinks. It goes down then comes up and stays up when you are supposed to battle kraken. Very odd acting.

#8 11 years ago

The upper switch might be closing to soon(if there is one) the switch closes early on a half sink and game thinks it is reset all the way.

Use the diag mode test.

#9 11 years ago

Might be coincidence, but your motor/gearbox might be at the end of their life.

Remove the ship from the game ( 6 bolts and some connectors ) unbolt the motor gearbox. See if the big plastic clutch things kind of turns freely on the gear box, if so you found the problem. The gears inside are slipping.

LTG : )

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

If you haven't already, run the ship test with the coin door closed. Use the start button to start the test. Watch the switches.

It's in diags, game specific tests.

#11 11 years ago

I'm out of town now. I will try all of it when I get back. Thanks.

#12 11 years ago

Had a similar problem with mine. Check that the set screw to the gear box shaft is tight. Put a drop of lock-tight on it after.

#13 11 years ago

Maybe a clutch problem,I read a while back that there's 3 plates inside (gray plastic block), apparently you can just switch them around once it starts slipping to get a bit more life out of it,dont know how true this is but I've had a look at mine and seems fairly straight forward.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from Montu32:

Maybe a clutch problem,I read a while back that there's 3 plates inside (gray plastic block), apparently you can just switch them around once it starts slipping to get a bit more life out of it,dont know how true this is but I've had a look at mine and seems fairly straight forward.

I've hear of the clutch breaking too. Just two 1/4 drive screw to tighten. On mine it was on tight, the gear box was free wheeling, as in shot.

Terry at Pinball Life has the motor/gearbox assembly and clutch. And I believe Bay Area and Marco has them too.

LTG : )

#15 11 years ago

Wish I was home to try all this. Took the ship out at least 6 times last night trying to figure it out. Amazing I didn't break the sales.

#16 11 years ago

I mean sails.

1 week later
#17 11 years ago

I wanted to update. I removed ship again. Removed the clutch housing. One of the 3 leaves? was worn. Stuck the worn one between the two that were in better shape. Tightened it all and reinstalled. Problem solved. Motor was slipping in clutch. Thanks for your help.

#18 11 years ago

Glad to help and in turn you have me by confirming this works,cheers!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

€ 18.00
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 218.00
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucaipa, CA
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-ship-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.