You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG-4074 (resized).JPG
IMG-4073 (resized).JPG
IMG-4072 (resized).JPG
#1 4 years ago

Buying a POTC SE, unfortunately LE's sold out and kind of maxed out on money - but would have found a way to get the extra $ for it.

For those that have a SE do you feel like you're losing out to a LE?

What I'm losing
1- Powder Coat - don't care
2- Invisiglass - I'm adding
3- RGB GI Lighting - Kind of bummed - but WolfManCat mentioned that the White GI actually makes the playfield brighter and easier to see ball.
4- External Headphone jack - never used in previous games so not a loss.
5 - Molded Playfield Toys - not a big deal
6- 2 Pop Bumper Rotation Toys - Really cool and believe this is a Loss.
7- Topper - Don't care and can always add if I want
8- Target Decals - Only $30 to add and will as they add to the game aesthetically.
9 - 72 Light Starfield on back panel - Really cool, but don't know if I'll notice it gone.
10 - Shake Motor - I like them but not a necessity. I believe shakers make things loose under playfield anyways, but if integrated well into gameplay then a buy for me.

I believe You do get $1k more in add-ons, however missed the boat on LE.

Feel Like buyers remorse, funny even mentioning that on a SE, but want feedback from you guys.

Thx

#2 4 years ago

If anyone thinks I should delete this thread and post to the owners and fan club of POTC, let me know.

#3 4 years ago

This is good, I was wondering the same thing. The RGB GI lighting is hard for me to get over but the other stuff seems marginal at bast. I want to hear from someone that has a SE.

#4 4 years ago

Thx, I'm going to move this into the other thread as it might get more eyeballs.

#5 4 years ago

Just sit tight and buy a used LE from someone in a few months. You'll save money too.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Just sit tight and buy a used LE from someone in a few months. You'll save money too.

He wouldn’t be saving money over a SE and then it needs to be near you or add shipping. I’m not saying I disagree to wait but you could be waiting a long time or paying near NIB pricing with shipping.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Waxx:

He wouldn’t be saving money over a SE and then it needs to be near you or add shipping. I’m not saying I disagree to wait but you could be waiting a long time or paying near NIB pricing with shipping.

Patience pays off though. He can't add some of the missing features. If he wants the game as an le he should just wait.

#8 4 years ago

I'm not saying this just because I currently have a standard but the game design is so fun that a lot of the added features are kind of an afterthought, however cool they are.

#9 4 years ago

every mass produced game comes up for sale. even some very rare games too. wait it out. if you are like me, knowing the le has features that the se doesn't will eat away at you and make you regret getting the lower version.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Saveleaningtower:

every mass produced game comes up for sale. even some very rare games too. wait it out. if you are like me, knowing the le has features that the se doesn't will eat away at you and make you regret getting the lower version.

I agree, but at the same time really looking to play this thing, get cliffy's installed, rather than wait. I know it sucks and the RGB GI is Cool and the spinning bumpers. It's a game I'll never sell as my wife won't let me....she wouldn't let me sell our Hobbit I had up for sale...God Bless her!

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

I agree, but at the same time really looking to play this thing, get cliffy's installed, rather than wait. I know it sucks and the RGB GI is Cool and the spinning bumpers. It's a game I'll never sell as my wife won't let me....she wouldn't let me sell our Hobbit I had up for sale...God Bless her!

Then wait, otherwise you are going to kick yourself every time you consider that you just have an se.

#12 4 years ago

Standard plays just like the LE. I actually prefer the stainless trim. If you want one now, go with the new standard. If you don’t mind waiting, get an used LE later. Prices won’t be dropping that much for a while, since demand is higher than supply.

#13 4 years ago

I have an SE that came New in Box with invisiglass as a “free” option. I put in a shaker, 140 bucks and absolutely love the game. I totally agree the stainless is nicer then the LE trim. It is not your normal stainless.
You are paying 1K for “mods”. There is no other game play differences except the color changing GI lights and there are many ways to determine which pirate mode your in. I do not buy invisi glass normally. I do not buy toppers normally. I would not buy the pop spinning pirate as an ad on. Nor do I buy any of the other stuff normally. However, I would most likely buy the star panel if I could. On the surface the LE it seems like a good deal but if I could select the options individually like when buying a car , I would only buy the shaker and star panel ( maybe 250 bucks)
If you are worried about buyer remorse now, I would wait for an LE to come on the market but may be a while as these are great games and will be a while before they hit the market. This is a great game and when playing it you will not notice most of the “missing” stuff. Best wishes

#14 4 years ago

No difference in game play. I actually prefer the white GI because it is easier to track the ball and better illuminates the plastics. You get enough of a light show from the inserts and accent lighting. If you really wanted to add more lighting effects you could ad a Pinstadium RGB kit. The upgrades are worth it for the difference in cost on the LE, but if you can't find one don't sweat it. I would rather have a new in the box then someones used game that may have issues from early production.

#15 4 years ago

Or just wait. As with other JJP games, they will re-run them and will come out with a new edition, something maybe called the Limited eye-patch version or some other name JJP comes up with.

#16 4 years ago

I asked that same question to someone in the know regarding a new edition to be made.

They said it was too costly and timely to build...it will not be remade.

#17 4 years ago

I was looking at getting one for a few months, always wanted to own a JJP. I went ahead and pulled trigger on an LE when I saw what looked to me like cost cutting happening on the latest pin. I thought maybe they wouldn't re-run for the reasons you mentioned. Or if they did, they would do it YBR style and jack the price. But even if they never make them again, there's still 1000 of them out there, and people will eventually move them around like any other title.

If you prioritize 'new' and/or 'want it soon', the way is clear to me, SE. If the SE were missing a mech the LE had I might personally hold out for used, but it's 99% the same experience.

#18 4 years ago

I'd buy a used LE if you can't find a NIB right now. The price jump from the SE is absolutely justified and worth it...and then some. JJP LE's are a no brainer and you will probably kick yourself later on if you went SE.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

I asked that same question to someone in the know regarding a new edition to be made.

JJP already did the design/software. If there is money to be made, they will run a new batch in the future. I would think WOZ would be a harder game to build and the BOM cost would be higher. How many times did JJP run WOZ games?

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from jarozi:

If you prioritize 'new' and/or 'want it soon', the way is clear to me, SE. If the SE were missing a mech the LE had I might personally hold out for used, but it's 99% the same experience.

99% the same experience at 89 percent the cost of an LE .

Put in a shaker and your experience goes up to 99.5% (sorry I am an engineer) with the better trim.

Sorry, I believe the SE is the way to go. Yes you are getting a slight discount on the SE/LE differences,but , most of them I would not buy at a discount (topper, plastics,sub hook up,invisi glass) anyway.

#21 4 years ago

The LE topper is a joke. I don’t even count that as anything. The rest is fairly significant IMO. Is there any difference in the playfield lighting?

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

If there is demand they will make more. Even an expensive BOM in pinball leaves plenty of room for profit, and it’s definitely better to build more games than leave idle capacity in the factory. That’s why Stern does VE’s.

#23 4 years ago

I heard it was difficult to build and not a lot of money being made on this game that's why they won't make anymore

#24 4 years ago

I like the stainless BW look. In fact, I really wish they would have chosen it for Wonka.

4 weeks later
#25 4 years ago

I bailed on getting the SE.

#26 4 years ago
IMG-4072 (resized).JPGIMG-4072 (resized).JPGIMG-4073 (resized).JPGIMG-4073 (resized).JPGIMG-4074 (resized).JPGIMG-4074 (resized).JPG
#27 4 years ago

A buddy of mine picked up an SE and I gotta say, it doesn’t feel like much of a compromise.

The base level Bentley is still a Bentley, lol.

#28 4 years ago

Totally agree. I would have been perfectly fine with the SE, it plays the same. The opportunity came up and my wife and I said ....what the hell....

Never thought I would ever spend this kind of money on a game, but everyone that's played it says it's great.

#29 4 years ago

Where did you find the LE?

The RGB GI was a big deal for me, I like when the GI is a different color as it tells me that I need to be hitting something

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

The RGB GI was a big deal for me, I like when the GI is a different color as it tells me that I need to be hitting something

Don't the RGB inserts on the SE change color and tell you the same thing?

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Don't the RGB inserts on the SE change color and tell you the same thing?

Yes

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

Where did you find the LE?

I'm sworn to Secrecy on this one!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 38.00
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-se-is-it-a-loss?hl=daveeb2000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.