• 53 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by thewool
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What is the best way to solve JJP POTC removal of main spinning discs?”

• JJP proposal: Pizza of the Caribbean - big disc with option of extra cheese in outer crust 46 votes
    19%
  • Aurich's good idea (see thread) 52 votes
    21%
  • TheFamilyArcade's good idea - Keep the hardware as is (just slow moving) and incorporate it into gameplay 146 votes
    60%

(244 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0210 (resized).JPG
IMG_0206.GIF
frisbee-gif-6.gif
il_570xN.483829270_cctk (resized).jpg
THUMBS-UP-CASEAR (resized).jpg
There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

Thanks to Aurich's great idea on this thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-id-fix-the-jjp-potc-disc-issue

... there was a very inspiring post...

Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I like the idea Aurich. But even more simple, why not keep the current mechanism, or something very similar, and just make it less active?
Instead of “spinners” that will ultimately wear out, treat the 3 moving, concentric circles as a combination lock. That way you still have the feature of different insert alignments giving rewards. The circles still move, but only sometimes, and slowly, not violently spinning.
Better yet, make their movements correspond to player shots on the playfield. Each circle moves in a specified direction and number of places based on what the ball hits, putting the player in control of the rewards he receives from the “combination”. The player would have to initiate a sequence to activate the rings, and once the rings are aligned properly, the player hits something to cash in the reward.
The rings will reset back to where they were before, for each players turn, so one player doesn’t disrupt the progress of another.
This takes away the magnet aspect though.

I think this is a fantastic idea. Making it more a part of the gameplay perhaps even improves the coolness of this hardware! And issues with being too loud - gone. Issues with reliability - gone. Pissed off buyers - probably gone. Need some more ball action then put in some magnets. Even improves upon the fact that you couldn't see the disc when it was spinning fast - can look cool all the time. Another advantage - can ship game now and code for this can catch up later.

Please vote for your preference.

#2 6 years ago

Pizza Pizza!THUMBS-UP-CASEAR (resized).jpgTHUMBS-UP-CASEAR (resized).jpg

#3 6 years ago

How about can we get what we pre ordered and was promised?

#4 6 years ago

JJP needs to officially address all these rumors and speculation. There’s a lot of upset customers that just want some answers. They can either help ease fears or are they afraid they may disappoint potential customers??

#5 6 years ago

If this all has to do with cost - I’d be open to paying more for the original version. Turn it into an option list like spooky. Yes, I ordered the butter cabinet.

#6 6 years ago

I like this thread!

One way or another, I really hope JJP gets this right. Their reveal was so inspired. The machine looked soooooooo good. And now rancor and uncertainty and disappointment.

Pinball is hard, I guess.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

JJP needs to officially address all these rumors and speculation. There’s a lot of upset customers that just want some answers. They can either help ease fears or are they afraid they may disappoint potential customers??

Are you trolling?…because I've read this exact same post in about 4 other threads. Cut and paste.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from adborto:

If this all has to do with cost - I’d be open to paying more for the original version. Turn it into an option list like spooky. Yes, I ordered the butter cabinet.

That would be pretty terrible to offer the same option but now even more expensive bc they realized it costs more internally. I understand your point thought.... Just give you the damn thing the way you ordered it!

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

That would be pretty terrible to offer the same option but now even more expensive bc they realized it costs more internally. I understand your point thought.... Just give you the damn thing the way you ordered it!

I agree. That is why if they take it out and don’t offer a suitable substitute, I’m out. At that point, I’ll take a real hard look at buying anything from them in the future. Granted everything in pinball seems to be two weeks, breaks, isn’t perfect, etc., etc....

#10 6 years ago

For those wishing for the original high-speed use of the design I get it. But, if the real reason is that it's not reliable at high speed, then something has to be changed and this is the closest thing possible. It's a compromise.

These ideas we are all giving are an attempt to offer alternate paths for JJP to take. Nothing is done at JJP if you look at the past and they can turn this around tomorrow.

The slow-moving, 3 disk alternative is a bit of a compromise allowing the original hardware to be used and can even improve upon the gameplay. IF the real reason that it can't be used is that it's not reliable at high speeds then here is a solution - done.

#11 6 years ago

Or if its the coding that's the problem. I would be fine with the 3 rings spinning as they are and the random award being done on screen. The ball action stays the same, discs the same just no inserts. all the random awards still there. do that or option c above and I'm back in

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

Or if its the coding that's the problem. I would be fine with the 3 rings spinning as they are and the random award being done on screen. The ball action stays the same, discs the same just no inserts. all the random awards still there. do that or option c above and I'm back in

Yeah, that would be perfect and like you said leave the animations for the map on screen, will look better there anyway.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Are you trolling?…because I've read this exact same post in about 4 other threads. Cut and paste.

Sorry, didn’t mean to repost that. I tried to delete the extra posts. I am really excited for POTC, I’m looking forward to seeing the final product. I recently purchased Dialed in and would love to add another JJP machine. I’m just concerned about these upcoming changes.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah, that would be perfect and like you said leave the animations for the map on screen, will look better there anyway.

The issue with having the pizza disk image on the playfield and the spinning disks on the screen is that you would see two different versions of the same object from the film that look completely different. Strange to my eyes. JJP have not fully thought this out. The proposed solutions are better.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

The issue with having the pizza disk image on the playfield and the spinning disks on the screen is that you would see two different versions of the same object from the film that look completely different. Strange to my eyes. JJP have not fully thought this out. The proposed solutions are better.

I meant change the single spinning disk to represent the maelstrom effect and let the map live on through the LCD.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I meant change the single spinning disk to represent the maelstrom effect and let the map live on through the LCD.

Ok, well that is better than pizza for sure. What do you think of keeping hardware as it is and just have them move slow and add to gameplay?

#17 6 years ago

If ifs and buts were candies and nuts we'd all have a merry Christmas

#18 6 years ago

il_570xN.483829270_cctk (resized).jpgil_570xN.483829270_cctk (resized).jpg

#19 6 years ago

If it ever happened, I feel like in a few years, most people will have installed a Mike D mod to replace whatever pizza disk comes with this game.

#20 6 years ago

As part of the 3x spinning disk preservation society I think the disks should be left exactly the way they are, as a history to...

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

If it ever happened, I feel like in a few years, most people will have installed a Mike D mod to replace whatever pizza disk comes with this game.

I hope someone can come up with a reliable version of the spinning discs, it is such a cool feature!

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Kingpin22:

I hope someone can come up with a reliable version of the spinning discs, it is such a cool feature!

I’m not buying the fact that they aren’t reliable. I have yet to hear or see any such failure. It’s BS.

Everything is reliable or unreliable depending on how you look at it. Everything wears and fails, cars, engines, brakes, airplanes, jet engines etc....

I would rather buy something that is innovative and different and if it needs to be repaired after a couple thousand games or replace the mech for a few hundred dollars, I’m good with that. It’s a 10k+ machine so if I have to put a few bucks into it every few years no biggie.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I would rather buy something that is innovative and different and if it needs to be repaired after a couple thousand games

If its thousands sure but maybe they are encountering failure and problems at the 30/40 game mark even if its a few hundred that won't fair well with operators or people who put lots of plays on their pins.

#24 6 years ago

The problem with this poll is aurichs idea doesn't work. And really who knows if the other option about it acting like a pad lock would work either. The mech would have to be completely redesigned to do that.

So out of the 3 options I'm not inclined to even vote.
We havent seen the single disc in action yet. Yes that art for the single disc has to go. Drop the map idea all together if it doesn't spin 3 ways it doesn't fit the theme anymore. But with different art/better art. I may be on board. But I'm never going to be happy if they keep it a map. It just doesn't fit the theme at that point. With how much Disney is involved in the project as well I'd be stunned if Disney even allowed that.
I like maelstrom idea. However the left ramp is already a maelstrom. So that's redundant.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

If its thousands sure but maybe they are encountering failure and problems at the 30/40 game mark even if its a few hundred that won't fair well with operators or people who put lots of plays on their pins.

Yeah I hear you however these machines have been traveling around to multiple shows,launch parties and on locations for extended periods with no reports of any mechanical issues with spinner other than the noise. Who cares, turn the volume up.

Yes the trunk has had reported issues but that should be fixable and can’t understand why they won’t all of a sudden.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

The problem with this poll is aurichs idea doesn't work.

Why?

Quoted from bgwilly31:

And really who knows if the other option about it acting like a pad lock would work either. The mech would have to be completely redesigned to do that.

Why?

#27 6 years ago

I just watched the SDTM video again, and Eric is so stoked about that disc. They have to figure this out. It also just makes them look bad, especially with the way this has been downplayed by JJP so far.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

This is the best way to go...Keep it the same,Even if it takes signing a waiver promising not to complain if the disks start acting up.(Just me saying)

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

For those wishing for the original high-speed use of the design I get it. But, if the real reason is that it's not reliable at high speed, then something has to be changed and this is the closest thing possible. It's a compromise.
These ideas we are all giving are an attempt to offer alternate paths for JJP to take. Nothing is done at JJP if you look at the past and they can turn this around tomorrow.
The slow-moving, 3 disk alternative is a bit of a compromise allowing the original hardware to be used and can even improve upon the gameplay. IF the real reason that it can't be used is that it's not reliable at high speeds then here is a solution - done.

Just give people exactly what they want and not what they don't want...plain and simple.The spinning disks are being pulled out due to cost not for being unreliable..Let's just call it the "Wal-mart solution route"...

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I’m not buying the fact that they aren’t reliable. I have yet to hear or see any such failure. It’s BS.
Everything is reliable or unreliable depending on how you look at it. Everything wears and fails, cars, engines, brakes, airplanes, jet engines etc....
I would rather buy something that is innovative and different and if it needs to be repaired after a couple thousand games or replace the mech for a few hundred dollars, I’m good with that. It’s a 10k+ machine so if I have to put a few bucks into it every few years no biggie.

Very,Very,Well said...Your post really nailed it on the head.

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

Just give people exactly what they want and not what they don't want...plain and simple.The spinning disks are being pulled out due to cost not for being unreliable..Let's just call it the "Wal-mart solution route"...

Well at this point still hoping that JJP wouldn't lie to its customer base about the real reasons behind this cut and run move. Still giving the benefit of the doubt.

#32 6 years ago

I try not to lose my mind one way or the other. While I can get a feel for a game on location this game is like any other. Until I get it home and set it up for my way of playing I have no idea for sure how great it could be. I will say this. I have one pre-ordered and yes I am disappointed but mostly with the hideous artwork. This will be my first Jersey Jack after a bunch of Sterns. After Star Wars (which has grown on me and I really enjoy after some updates) I said no more NIB from stern. The game was disappointing in the beginning again like some other new stern products lately. So I thought Jersey jack does a better job so I will try POTC. I thought it looked spectacular. Hopefully some compromise will come out of the disdain shown by the people ordering. I like some of the ideas floated and I hope something changes......at the very least the crappy art.

#33 6 years ago

Spinning discs are overrated. Just put some great art in that area and a couple fling magnets under the playfield. That way I can disable them and play normal pinball.

#34 6 years ago

Now that I had time to play the potc, those rings were great at sending the ball anywhere it wanted.
+1 for save the spinning ring circus.

#35 6 years ago

I've got my own solution.

Save $9000 and go outside with my own spinning disc.

frisbee-gif-6.giffrisbee-gif-6.gif

#36 6 years ago

Don't touch the discs.

IMG_0206.GIFIMG_0206.GIF

#37 6 years ago

I had an idea.....
How about using the LED idea for the middle circle and just have the larger spinning disc around it. You would still have a map spinning disc but the other 2 spinning circles would be on the LED to line up.

#38 6 years ago

Its already been discussed in other threads.

Aurichs

1.) Giant question if magnets would even fit. Have you seen the actual mech outside of the PF? There are pictures of it around. Tell me how your fitting magnets around that. Ill answer for you. You cant. Also the idea itself is just kind of meh. A single disc with leds would be better.

And the other
2.) The mech itself was designed to spin at high rates of speed. It would have to completely reengineered to spin and lock in place in different locations.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I had an idea.....
How about using the LED idea for the middle circle and just have the larger spinning disc around it. You would still have a map spinning disc but the other 2 spinning circles would be on the LED to line up.

Sounds like a nice concept, they should add it to the shortlist.

Everybody (except deeproot) knows making pinball machines is hard. Apparently though, making spinning discs assemblies for pinballs is easy. Why won't JJP just read this thread? My preferrences, by the way are #1) to fix 3 damn discs! or #2) eliminate the discs altogether. So no big hole in playfield, but keep the inserts and artwork. I DO NOT WANT A PIZZA DISC on the playfield as any option.

IMG_0210 (resized).JPGIMG_0210 (resized).JPG

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

Exactly.

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

2.) The mech itself was designed to spin at high rates of speed. It would have to completely reengineered to spin and lock in place in different locations.

My understanding is that the discs can report what position they are in (optos) - this was needed because the discs were designed to stop at any specified orientation. Regarding speed, if they can move fast, why wouldn't they be able to move slowly?

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

My understanding is that the discs can report what position they are in (optos) - this was needed because the discs were designed to stop at any specified orientation. Regarding speed, if they can move fast, why wouldn't they be able to move slowly?

I'm not sure I've ever seen them in actual gameplay stop like that. Which could be part of their reliability issue. But you may be right.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

I'm not sure I've ever seen them in actual gameplay stop like that. Which could be part of their reliability issue. But you may be right.

Yeah well getting them to stop on a dime at an exact orientation I could see being difficult at high speeds. But if you have optos and just slowly moving a ring to the next position on the ring, this should be easier. So if the problem is that this is what was unreliable, then again, this is a fix for this.

#44 6 years ago

They moved at different speeds already. Fast, slow and stopped at different times.

#45 6 years ago

Just did a Podcast with Chris last night. We discuss this very thing....and many others...

#46 6 years ago

The problem is they sold me on the complete package and now that I've got my refund back I'm off to other games/hobbies. A missed sale for sure.

Even if they said they were putting the disks back, I'm not willing to risk seeing what actually shows up in my box so I'll wait and play a full production game sometime next year and decide if it's something we want. Besides if their real concern was reliability, why would I want the disks back the way they were???

#47 6 years ago

Thanks for all your votes everyone! I thought it might be a joke at first but by the looks of yesterday's video JJP seem adamant to proceed down this ridiculous strip and rush path. At least we left a record of what we would have actually wanted from a company commited to reaching the potential of this pin.

Thanks again to Aurich and TheFamilyArcade for caring so much to give these great suggestions but you can only lead a horse to water they say. I wish everyone would understand that it's because of our love for JJP and pinball in general that we criticize and offer suggestions but in the end it's clear that they don't care what their devoted fans want.

And looks like Jack can't even show his face - this is definately a first and a sign that all is not well at JJP with no sign of leadership to be found. He'll probably show up in a few weeks after Eric had taken the brunt. What a difference a week makes - how quickly you can flush what you've built up for years.

Anyway, still hope everything works out well in the future for everyone but I am so out that I can't even read about this anymore or watch videos that seem like funeral processions.

To those of you still in - thanks for helping float this ship until Toy Story but you won't see me compromise like this for a 9000 US toy. The other side is that you may be supporting being treated like this and send a message that we just don't care and buy anything. It's like buying a new car, finding out they couldn't figure out the air conditioning, buying it anyway and then driving around like some chump for years - I just have enough self respect that I will run from this like I would from a house fire. And what does it say that they care so little they can't even close a trunk.

In summary, if I pay that much for a pin I want a full realization of a dream not a permanent reminder of failure in my row of pins.

Anyway I'm done with this - wish you all the best. I'm off to play some pinball and have some fun again

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

Thanks for all your votes everyone! I thought it might be a joke at first but by the looks of yesterday's video JJP seem adamant to proceed down this ridiculous strip and rush path. At least we left a record of what we would have actually wanted from a company commited to reaching the potential of this pin.
Thanks again to Aurich and TheFamilyArcade for caring so much to give these great suggestions but you can only lead a horse to water they say. I wish everyone would understand that it's because of our love for JJP and pinball in general that we criticize and offer suggestions but in the end it's clear that they don't care what their devoted fans want.
And looks like Jack can't even show his face - this is definately a first and a sign that all is not well at JJP with no sign of leadership to be found. He'll probably show up in a few weeks after Eric had taken the brunt. What a difference a week makes - how quickly you can flush what you've built up for years.
Anyway, still hope everything works out well in the future for everyone but I am so out that I can't even read about this anymore or watch videos that seem like funeral processions.
To those of you still in - thanks for helping float this ship until Toy Story but you won't see me compromise like this for a 9000 US toy. The other side is that you may be supporting being treated like this and send a message that we just don't care and buy anything. It's like buying a new car, finding out they couldn't figure out the air conditioning, buying it anyway and then driving around like some chump for years - I just have enough self respect that I will run from this like I would from a house fire. And what does it say that they care so little they can't even close a trunk.
In summary, if I pay that much for a pin I want a full realization of a dream not a permanent reminder of failure in my row of pins.
Anyway I'm done with this - wish you all the best. I'm off to play some pinball and have some fun again

We tried.

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

And looks like Jack can't even show his face

He isn't in the country right now. So not much he can do until he gets back.

LTG : )

#50 6 years ago

I don't even see why they had a problem? If it breaks we just keep calling Lloyd! They would never even know there was a problem!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 38.00
Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-save-the-3-disks-poll/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.