Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Blown Capacitor C6 (resized).jpg
Replaced Transistor Q5 (resized).JPG
Replaced Capacitor C6 (resized).JPG
Raise Sails Solenoid (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

Hey everyone. I'm having an issue with my Stern PotC. The "raise sails" solenoid is locked on. This had happened before, and I found that Transistor Q5 was bad. Then I replaced Transistor Q5. All was good and running fine until I was playing a game, and Capacitor C6 failed. I just replaced that, now the the "raise sails" solenoid is locked on again. What is going on?

Summary of events:
Raise sail solenoid locked on
Transistor Q5 bad
Replace Transistor Q5
Play games, all good
Capacitor C6 blows
Replace Capacitor C6
Raise sails solenoid locked on again

Help!

Raise Sails Solenoid (resized).JPGRaise Sails Solenoid (resized).JPG
Replaced Capacitor C6 (resized).JPGReplaced Capacitor C6 (resized).JPG
Replaced Transistor Q5 (resized).JPGReplaced Transistor Q5 (resized).JPG
Blown Capacitor C6 (resized).jpgBlown Capacitor C6 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

I think those are unrelated. C6 is in the 20V circuit and the raise sail is a 50V solenoid.

You need to figure out why the transistor blew in the first place. Check the EMF suppression diode D5 attached to Q5 to make sure it isn't bad, I would just replace it along with Q5. Not bad practice to replace these diodes whenever you replace a transistor.

Also carefully inspect the ship wiring harness and look for a wear spot in the insulation where the solenoid wiring may be grounding out. This can look like a blown transistor.

#3 6 years ago

Thanks Schwaggs. I just replaced the Q5 transistor with a brand new IRL540 transistor, and replaced diode D5 with a brand new 1N4004 diode. Hooked everything back up, turned on the machine, and no power to any solenoids. I thought what the heck. Then I look up, and Fuse F10 has blown (no red light).

So summary of events:
Replaced Q5 with an IRL540 transistor
Replaced D5 with a 1N4004 diode
Hook it all back up and turn on machine
Fuse F10 blows immediately on turn-on

Any thoughts?

#4 6 years ago

Bump for the day crowd.

#5 6 years ago

Try disconnecting the connector to all the solenoids from the driver board. If the fuse still blows, you have a board problem.

#6 6 years ago

Thanks Schwaggs. I took your advice and realized that it was at the solenoid. Removed the ship, took it apart, and it appears the solenoid coil wire that leads to the lug had loosened. There was an oh so slight wear spot (not noticeable unless searching hard) where I could see copper. It appears it was grounding out by touching the metal frame of the ship. I also went through again and replaced the Q5 transistor, the D5 diode, and replaced fuse F10. Got everything hooked back up and played a game. All appears to be good. Thanks again for the help!

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Thanks Schwaggs. I took your advice and realized that it was at the solenoid. Removed the ship, took it apart, and it appears the solenoid coil wire that leads to the lug had loosened. There was an oh so slight wear spot (not noticeable unless searching hard) where I could see copper. It appears it was grounding out by touching the metal frame of the ship. I also went through again and replaced the Q5 transistor, the D5 diode, and replaced fuse F10. Got everything hooked back up and played a game. All appears to be good. Thanks again for the help!

Awesome, congrats on the fix! Glad you figured it out and thanks for posting your results!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Orlando, FL
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 18.00
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucaipa, CA
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 218.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

€ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-raise-sails-solenoid-locked-on and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.