Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by CaryCarmichael
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Couldn't find anything on this although I know I have read on it before.... The post that pops up in front of the pirate ship stays up most of the time when the ship is hit. It comes down when I hit both flipper buttons. I looked it over and everything seems fine but I guess I'm not exactly sure what all I should check. Thanks for any suggestions!

#2 4 years ago

When it is stuck in the up position, turn the game off and see if it still stays up. If it does then the mechanism is binding. Make sure it's not catching on something and if that looks good then remove and clean the assembly.

#3 4 years ago

I'm pretty sure this is normal.
The first time through the ship, it keeps the post up, for new players to learn what is going on, I guess.
From the second ship on, the post should drop on it's own.

#4 4 years ago

The post does drop on its own after the first time.... I wonder if that's just how it's supposed to be.... Have you had one DNO?

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from nighttaco:

The post does drop on its own after the first time.... I wonder if that's just how it's supposed to be.... Have you had one DNO?

It's binding on something. It's supposed to go down on its own... the vibration from the flippers is releasing it.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's binding on something. It's supposed to go down on its own... the vibration from the flippers is releasing it.

Roger that, any ideas on what to look for?

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from nighttaco:

Roger that, any ideas on what to look for?

Make sure the post plunger & sleeve aren't dirty...and that the sleeve isn't smooshed on anything...I don't know what the bracket looks like offhand, but usually the sleeve goes through the hole...just make sure it's clearly going through.

#8 4 years ago

really? all the ones I played you have to hit the flipper to get it a drop.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from nighttaco:

Yes, I have had one, and played a lot of them.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from daniel0265:

really? all the ones I played you have to hit the flipper to get it a drop.

It's common...but it's not right. Basically what's happening is this.

Coil fires, plunger goes up.
Coil releases, plunger falls down.
...but sometimes - coil releases...but the plunger is just *sliiiightly* stuck - it should go down but it doesn't.

#11 4 years ago

I had this issue on mine. I remember readjusting the compression spring and it fixed it.

See page 79
http://www.sternpinball.com/upload/games/225/d/443/Pirates_of_the_Caribbean_Manual.pdf

#12 4 years ago

The plunger is magnetizing to the coil stop bracket. Put some Mylar on the bracket where the plunger hits it when it's in the up position and your problem will be solved.

#13 4 years ago

Appreciate all of the advice, I'll post an update after I mess with it this weekend...

4 months later
#14 4 years ago
Quoted from nighttaco:

Appreciate all of the advice, I'll post an update after I mess with it this weekend...

Did you ever fix this issue? Having the same type of behaviour on my POTC. Need to hit both flippers to get the post down otherwise it eventually goes for a ballsearch.

#15 4 years ago

is any one having the problem of when you hit the ship sometimes the ball comes sailing back. not being held by the gate?

#16 4 years ago

If I remember correctly, I had to remove the assembly and file down the bottom edge where the post meets the playfield while in the up position. Everyone kept talking about the spring, but mine was not binding. The edge being rounded off stopped it from catching on the playfield just enough to let it fall.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Coil fires, plunger goes up.
Coil releases, plunger falls down.
...but sometimes - coil releases...but the plunger is just *sliiiightly* stuck - it should go down but it doesn't.

For once I don't think you are right. The post stays up while the people talk on the first ship "only". Once you sink the first ship the post will not hold the ball anymore. I think its to let the player become familiar with what is happening and what is going to happen.

#18 4 years ago

Unless he is talking about what happens after that first time

#19 4 years ago

When the one on my POTC would occasionally stick, a good wipe of the plunger to remove some dirt was all that was needed

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

If I remember correctly, I had to remove the assembly and file down the bottom edge where the post meets the playfield while in the up position. Everyone kept talking about the spring, but mine was not binding. The edge being rounded off stopped it from catching on the playfield just enough to let it fall.

Thanks, gonna take a look at that. Although I can't recall there being any friction when manually moving the post last time when I cleaned it.

Quoted from krivoap:

When the one on my POTC would occasionally stick, a good wipe of the plunger to remove some dirt was all that was needed

Tried that as well but didn't help unfortunately.

#21 4 years ago

that's interesting.
ALL the ones I've played stay up until you hit the flipper buttons.
BUT after the first ship multiball, it drops immediately on it's own on further hits.
all = >10

#22 4 years ago

It has been a while since I dealt with this, but I remember tbinking the same thing...moved freely. Put the playfield down and you will see that when the ball is resting on the post, it is pushing just enough for it ti hold the post up when the playfield is at its resting position. That is, if you have the same issue. I didnt believe it would work but figured it couldnt hurt, and it fixed my problem

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

you will see that when the ball is resting on the post, it is pushing just enough for it ti hold the post up when the playfield is at its resting position

Mmm, interesting, that could indeed be the factor, especially when it's set up really steep I guess.

Will let you know how that works out! (it's 3 AM here now, my wife's probably not going to be happy with a loud "Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pirate's Life For Me!" at this hour.)

Arrr!

#24 4 years ago

go to sleep! you are as bad as me, thinking about pinball at 3 am

#25 4 years ago

I took out the assembly, cleaned the rubber post, the inside of the sleeve, stretched the spring a bit, filed a bit at the bottom edge like suggested and so far so good. Played a couple of games and the post is going down without having to push the flippers.

The spring is really soft, almost giving no pressure at all. I thought about putting in a stronger one but don't want the coil to overheat. Don't know if that's something to consider.

Let's see how long it lasts, afterall it is a pinball machine...

#26 4 years ago

So this seems to be different behavior with different versions of software. But with latest software, the post should hold the ball after each ship hit until the ship is sunk. Then the post should not do this on further ship hits every hit. Double flippers should drop the post early.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from goalzzz:

I took out the assembly, cleaned the rubber post, the inside of the sleeve, stretched the spring a bit, filed a bit at the bottom edge like suggested and so far so good. Played a couple of games and the post is going down without having to push the flippers.

The spring is really soft, almost giving no pressure at all. I thought about putting in a stronger one but don't want the coil to overheat. Don't know if that's something to consider.
Let's see how long it lasts, afterall it is a pinball machine...

Cool!

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

So this seems to be different behavior with different versions of software. But with latest software, the post should hold the ball after each ship hit until the ship is sunk. Then the post should not do this on further ship hits every hit. Double flippers should drop the post early.

In my case double flippers released the ball. If I didn't do that the machine would go into ballsearch mode.

After cleaning everything's okay now. Don't know the exact sequence, I just think it keeps the ball for a few seconds after each hit, didn't notice if it changes that behaviour after a certain amount of hits/time.

I've always had the machine on software version 6.00, looks like that's the final one.

1 week later
#29 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I have to return to this thread and apologize rarehero. I believe you just might be right. I was messing around with my POTC last night and I think the post is sticking up due to the ball pressure.

"Greg, you were right and I was wrong, sorry"... dammit, I thought I had you that time!

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from jwwhite15:

I have to return to this thread and apologize rarehero. I believe you just might be right. I was messing around with my POTC last night and I think the post is sticking up due to the ball pressure.
"Greg, you were right and I was wrong, sorry"... dammit, I thought I had you that time!

Nah you were right above. It stays up and holds the ball until the first ship is sunk. There's no good explanation for why it would do that only up until sinking the first ship. I've seen games that the post holds the ball every hit. Those aren't right.

#31 4 years ago

I believe that is an option in the feature menu.

#32 4 years ago

Hmmm, he stated "until flippers are pushed." Had the same problem on RFM. Checked the post plunger and plunger was very free and spring was robust. Actually popped back pretty strong. Couldn't get it to bind no matter how hard I tried. Thought ball might be magnetized--new ball installed--no change. Installed new coil sleeve--no problem since. Weird.......

#33 4 years ago

the flippers vibrate the playfield enough so the weight of the ball no longer holds the post in place.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from goalzzz:

The spring is really soft, almost giving no pressure at all. I thought about putting in a stronger one but don't want the coil to overheat. Don't know if that's something to consider

I have had several CEC POTC machines with tons of plays, this spring is the culprit on all of them. Clean the assembly, take the spring out and give it a good stretching, that will take care of it.

#35 4 years ago

I recently shopped my pops' POTC, and replaced all black rubbers with white, including the post rubbers (used the Super Posts, expensive but both look nice and add a good forceful rebound). I found that the post rubber, for the post in front of the ship, was really tough to get off. After reassembly the post would stick up until ball search, or sometimes earlier with the double flip. Opened it up, and spring got smashed with the tug of war I got into with the post rubber. Stretched spring and good to go.

For sure, post should come up during hits to the ship, pre-multiball one - but it should come down after a second or two. Later ship hits, post should only come up after the hit that sinks the ship.

Latest code, whatever that is.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Machine - For Sale
Southampton, PA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Charleston, SC
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Waukesha, WI
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 239.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 26.50
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
...redshiftLED
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 87.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Machine - For Sale
Liberty Township, OH
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside