Topic Stats

• 181 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by cosmokramer
  • Topic is favorited by 34 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 114 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1924 (resized).JPG
IMG_1923 (resized).JPG
IMG_1922 (resized).JPG
Enlight30 (resized).jpg
Enlight29 (resized).jpg
IMG_1792 (resized).JPG
IMG_1787 (resized).JPG
IMG_1783 (resized).JPG
IMG_1782 (resized).JPG
IMG_1778 (resized).JPG
Enlight27 (resized).jpg
Enlight26 (resized).jpg
040 (resized).JPG
IMG_1751 (resized).JPG
IMG_1750 (resized).JPG
Enlight25 (resized).jpg

There are 181 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 2 years ago

8)Well i purchased a pretty well used Pirates of the Caribbean Pinball machine recently and was hoping to just enjoy it for a bit. Well upon getting it home and playing it the reality set in pretty quick that the previous owner had pretty much not been honest at all. Comvienienty "set up the machine to sell". Basically I was nieve and trusted the guy, lesson learned. So all pop bumpers are bad, heart chest is malfunctioning, slings are basically trashed, flippers are pretty much bad top to bottom, the list goes on.

So decided hey! Let's make he best of this and restore he whole darn thing. I love this theme so putting some blood sweat and tears into this takes no convincing

Here is what I plan on doing:
• Playfield swap to a brand new NOS play field
• New ramps
• New plastics and decals
• Remove cabinet decals. Paint, sand, fill damage and re decal the cabinet and back box.
• Clean Boards, wires, connectors and harness's
• Powder coat coin door, trim, lockdown bar, back box supports.
• Rebuild flippers and slings and new Coils for flippers (have evidence of overheating)
• Rebuild pop bumpers entirely
• Replace entirely sling mechs
• Replace all standing targets
• Imstall Mylar in front of slings and upper playfield drop zones
• Install new pirate ship
• Install new springs and coil sleeves throughout
• Install Full LED Lights
• New Ball auto launch assembly
• New hardware

IMG_1332 (resized).jpg

#2 2 years ago

My home made Playfield rotisserie.

IMG_1343 (resized).jpg

#3 2 years ago

Cool, I will be following

#4 2 years ago

Just starting to take apart the back box

IMG_1349 (resized).JPG

IMG_1348 (resized).JPG

#5 2 years ago

2 of the 3 pop bumpers are trashed lol all of em are getting bran new parts and led ring lights

IMG_1425 (resized).JPG

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

My home made Playfield rotisserie.

I like your rotisserie....i need to build one soon for my first restore.

#7 2 years ago

micky Yes! Im so glad i built it.. makes life so much easier when removing everything. This design is amazingly solid, wobbles a tiny bit.. but over all its great!

#8 2 years ago

Any playcounts on that pin? Curious.

Good luck!

#9 2 years ago

@pinnhead ill check when i fire it back up!

#10 2 years ago

Metals Cleaned up pretty nice!

all (resized).jpg

compare (resized).jpg

#11 2 years ago

It has cabinet decals and isnt screen printed?

Where are you getting new cabinet decals from?

Thanks

#12 2 years ago

zentron U know... i though the graphics came off awfully easy... And there seemed to to be no glue residue. So I think your right they must have been screen printed on mine.

I ordered them from https://www.retrorefurbs.com/, heard really good things about them from other members.

#13 2 years ago

Just dropped off all the parts to be powder coated a nice bronze color at the best in the business... Maas Brothers in Livermore ca. If your in the Bay Area and need powder coating done HIGHLY recommend these guys.

IMG_1472 (resized).JPG

#14 2 years ago

zentron U know... i though the graphics came off awfully easy... And there seemed to to be no glue residue. So I think your right they must have been screen printed on mine.
I ordered them from https://www.retrorefurbs.com/, heard really good things about them from other members.

You sanded them right?

They're silk screened for sure.

#15 2 years ago

Looks like a full restore to me if you're doing a new clear coat and doing the cab all around.

Anyway, I following with interest. Nice to see fresh pinball restoration work in the bay, particularly a title I love. I regret selling my game.

#16 2 years ago

lb1 yup lol, this ended up going full bore..., brand new playfield ordered, new target switches all around, new hardware, new lights, brand new flipper kit and coils as well as slings and coils, this thing is going to be a beauty when it's done, I'm not overlooking any detail... super excited to mess with the color matrix led parts I'm getting from comet

#17 2 years ago

This will be the first stern restoration that I'll be following.

#18 2 years ago

If I may make a suggestion? I'd get rid of the tourney button lockdown and get the standard one. You will need a new receiver and lockdown but it makes for a much cleaner look IMO.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

If I may make a suggestion? I'd get rid of the tourney button lockdown and get the standard one. You will need a new receiver and lockdown but it makes for a much cleaner look IMO.

I forget what game mine came from, but I replaced my tourney button lockdown and with a plain one and it was just a swap out, no receiver was changed.
I always hated those tourney buttons, and it was one of the best "mods" I have done

#20 2 years ago

minusworlds dude I totally was going to do that, but I already sent the lockdown bar to the powder coater. Though I totally agree with you it's cleaner, I ordered the tournament button and going to install, I guess I felt keeps it closer to how it came u know... it ya totally not as clean at all

#21 2 years ago

Here are some pics of the new PF, thing of beauty

SAM_4918 (resized).jpg

SAM_4923 (resized).jpg

SAM_4915 (resized).jpg

#22 2 years ago

Underrated game. Watching this one.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I forget what game mine came from, but I replaced my tourney button lockdown and with a plain one and it was just a swap out-of-town no receiver was changed.
I always hated those tourney buttons, and it was one of the best "mods" I have done

With LOTR I had to change the receiver but it's super easy. With TRON I don't believe I had to. Not sure when the receiver itself changed from the factory. I'm so happy I changed mine too.

minusworlds dude I totally was going to do that, but I already sent the lockdown bar to the powder coater. Though I totally agree with you it's cleaner, I ordered the tournament button and going to install, I guess I felt keeps it closer to how it came u know... it ya totally not as clean at all

Just a suggestion. It will look amazing regardless. And if you ever change your mind it's a super easy fix.

#24 2 years ago

Resurrected the spinning disk, was a mess, the decal had totally worn off, there was black dust everywhere, switches where covered in dust.

IMG_1482 (resized).JPG

IMG_1505 (resized).JPG

#25 2 years ago

Playfield top basically totally cleared, now time to start th bottom

IMG_1485 (resized).JPG

#26 2 years ago

Re-creating the Coil Wraps

Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 2.22.54 PM (resized).png

#27 2 years ago

Curious what the old PF was like? Where were the bad spots? Can you take a pic of it?

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Curious what the old PF was like? Where were the bad spots? Can you take a pic of it?

Sure! It really was not that bad, the clear was pretty much gone in the center, some wear on the shooter lane, some pretty bad ball trails up towards the top, and both eject holes had some damage. Im sure a lot of it could be cleaned up and re-cleared, i just decided if i'm going this far, i want to put a brand spanking new one in there

pf-2 (resized).png

pf-4 (resized).png

pf-1 (resized).png

pf-3 (resized).png

#29 2 years ago

Sanding the Cabinet, amazingly the cabinet is in GREAT shape! Got the new decals from retrorefurbs, they look great, i mean they are pretty spot on with the originals!

cab (resized).png
decals (resized).png

#30 2 years ago

Just wondering if you would be willing to share the purchase price of the game? I only ask because clearly you are going to spend a small fortune rebuilding it and I bought an absolute mint one for under $4800, seems to be the going rate.... is it worth all the work?

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

Just wondering if you would be willing to share the purchase price of the game? I only ask because clearly you are going to spend a small fortune rebuilding it and I bought an absolute mint one for under $4800, seems to be the going rate.... is it worth all the work?

spencer Dude You got a great deal, ya I got taken to cleaners on mine, I was too trusting was a lesson learned.

The guy I bought it from a guy in San Jose who flips machines, I found out after, and seemed like a straight shooter. I was on crutches when I picked it up, so my ability to really inspect it was limited, so I asked s ton of questions and relied on him to answer truthfully.

Well soon as I got it home I realized he totally took advantage of me, and lied about basically the whole machine. Thank god it didn't go to some poor person expecting to just play it and enjoy it, with no technical skill.

The fact he was asking 4700.00 for it is just as asanine. I ended up paying 4500.00 which knowing what I know now about the machine was a total rip off,,, I have since contacted him to no reply and he knows he took advantage.... I mean taking advanced of a guy showing up on crutches is pretty low. But I'm making the best of it and this baby is going to be one of a kind.

#32 2 years ago

Cool, thanks for the reply. I look forward to seeing your progress. That is pretty shameful indeed. I am sure yours will look spectacular when finished, keep up the great work!

#33 2 years ago

New coil wrappers look great! This thing needs to be as clean under the pf as above

Enlight3 (resized).jpg

#34 2 years ago

Just dropped off all the parts to be powder coated a nice bronze color at the best in the business... Maas Brothers in Livermore ca. If your in the Bay Area and need powder coating done HIGHLY recommend these guys.

Do you know if these guys do chrome or brass plating, too?

#35 2 years ago

I would contact sc93cobra at pinballplating, they are the best when it comes to that, and Maas Brothers only does powder coating aingide

#36 2 years ago

I would contact sc93cobra at pinballplating, they are the best when it comes to that, and Maas Brothers only does powder coating aingide

If you have many parts to plate it's worth shipping it to sc93 who specializes in pinball parts. The prep work is critical. I tried Johnson plating in Oakland and it was nowhere near as good - perhaps unless you pay to prep and then it ends up a lot more expensive.

#37 2 years ago

Great progress pics. Fun to watch.

#38 2 years ago

folowing!

#39 2 years ago

Recreated my warranty / serial tag for the backbox... guess my warranty is void haha

IMG_1526 (resized).JPG

#40 2 years ago

if it was a 220V machine, make sure you verify (or just change regardless) the main fuse, thermister, and varistor in the main power box to the 120v spec.

#41 2 years ago

jdd I'm confused what should I change??

#42 2 years ago

I looked at the manual and did NOT see a thermister referenced.
It is usually small black disc connected inline on one of the main leads, inside the power box. (#30 in picture)
Maybe that is not used on this generation pinball machine. I've experienced that in the past.
1 (resized).jpg

But there is also a varistor that helps with voltage spikes in that power box.
You should always change these when converting a machine for domestic power.
You never know if the previous owner did that or not.

And then of course the main fuse in that power box.

I also recommend checking every single fuse in the backbox for proper rating.
It's a new thing I do when buying a used machine and there is always at least one fuse with the wrong rating.

2 (resized).jpg

3 (resized).jpg

#43 2 years ago

jdd this is very informative I'm pretty much still a newbie to this, so what would you recommend? I have a manual would it specify the proper fuses for the back box? I did notice it looks like the flipper fuses have blown multiple times on this machine and there is black soot all over the fuse box and wood

#44 2 years ago

yeah, check the manual for proper fuse rating and type. I pull each fuse and read the rating to verify.
N.B. stands for normal blow and F.B. stands for fast blow

The varistor in the power box is a pain to replace cause you solder in a tight little space.
If you have an external surge protector that the machine is plugged into,
then the internal varistor in the power box may not be as critical.

Just for fun, unscrew the power box and check inside to see what there is to see.
The varistor is usually a small red disc with two wires connected across the main power lines.

#45 2 years ago

Good luck with your restore. I find it really rewarding to clean up a game like this - and you're definitely going the extra mile here. Pirates is a fun game it'll be awesome to know you brought back one more great looking and playing game.

#46 2 years ago

All new targets, compete with much needed pirate decals

IMG_1546 (resized).JPG

Enlight10 (resized).jpg

#47 2 years ago

All new targets, compete with much needed pirate decals

Sweet!

Mine came with all the target decals installed, except the ones in the spinning disc ... I need to put these on. I'm installing all my mods now, might as well do this too.

#48 2 years ago

Just found your thread and I am glad I did. I am actually in the middle of a complete restore of a 2007 Spider-Man. How did you remake the warranty/serial tag and coil wrappers? My serial tag in the back is destroyed and I have one coil that is missing a wrapper. Any info you can provide will be very helpful with my restore.

Looks like we are very close to the same stages of our projects. I will continue to follow your thread to see how you are coming along.

#49 2 years ago

redknight87 that's awesome dude! You should start a thread on that! I'd love to see. As far as the coil wraps and serial I recreated them in illustrator I can post a file up if your familiar with the software, or take a pic of your serial and I can post a PDF u can just print

#50 2 years ago

redknight87 that's awesome dude! You should start a thread on that! I'd love to see. As far as the coil wraps and serial I recreated them in illustrator I can post a file up if your familiar with the software, or take a pic of your serial and I can post a PDF u can just print

One step ahead of ya buddy! https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-2007-spider-man-restore

I have never messed with any kind of Photoshop. I wish I had the knowledge on how to do this. It would greatly help me with my restore if you could easily input the serial data into the tag you have already drawn up. I will pm you later tonight.

Thank you very much for your help!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 181 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside