(Topic ID: 105143)

POTC error message

By GoodToBeDad

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

My POTC is giving me this error when I turn it on.

12v not detected. Check fuses f12 and f13

The fuses test good. However, I am getting no voltage to them. Fuses 5-11 are also not right. The voltage is about half what it should be. I checked the bridge rectifiers and they test fine while in circuit. I reseated and examined all of the connectors. Any ideas what's going on?

#3 9 years ago

Remove fuses to test with the meter. Sometimes fuses test good when still in the holder.

#4 9 years ago

With the game turned on and the coin door closed, do all the LED's below the fuses light on the driver board?

Check the coin door high power lockout switch. A bad one shouldn't give you the missing 12 volts message, but a flaky one might. And if you haven't already, check the big connectors around the transformer for loose connectors or pushed pins (look closely where the wires enter the big connectors).

#5 9 years ago

All of the fuses were pulled to test.

The lights around the fuses all come on, but when I test the voltages at the fuses, they're wrong. I checked the connectors at the transformer and they looked good. When I tested the voltage coming out of those connectors at the transformer, they were also off. I grounded the DMM to the ground braid to test the voltages at the transformer. Could that give me a wrong reading?

Thanks for your input.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from GoodToBeDad:

I grounded the DMM to the ground braid to test the voltages at the transformer. Could that give me a wrong reading?
Thanks for your input.

Yes. Transformer output is AC, so no ground. Look in your manual to see what the outputs should be.

What were you using for ground when testing the other voltages? Was your meter set to DC?

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Transformer output is AC, so no ground.

I grounded to the braid when testing the voltages at the fuses. Some are DC and some are AC. I adjusted the meter accordingly.

How do I test the voltages coming out of the transformer? Do I put the black lead in to the return pin? And where do I put the black lead when testing AC on the board?

I originally suspected the bridge rectifier that connects to the f12 and f13 fuse. It tested good while still on the board. I removed the fuses to test it. Could it still give me a false reading if it was bad, but still on the board?

Thanks again.

#8 9 years ago

I had the exact same issue. Tighten the screws on the 5v regulator with the big heat sink.

With the game on, just press hard on the regulator and it should boot up, as soon as you let go the error will come back.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from SeymorGoldfarbJr:

Tighten the screws on the 5v regulator with the big heat sink.

That did it! Thanks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

€ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

€ 18.00
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
New Brighton, PA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 218.00
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Medford, NJ
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 26.50
$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-error and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.