• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by oyvindmo
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Our POTC just stopped booting.

Power driver LEDs would light up, but neither the PSU fan nor the CPU fan would spin up, and both screens were black.

When we manually shorted the power button pins on the motherboard, the PSU fan and CPU fan would spin up, but still no output on any of the screens, not even BIOS output. We tried connecting an external monitor using a different HDMI cable, but still nothing.

At this time we suspect a dead CPU, but I have never before experienced a CPU suddenly dying. Thoughts?

(Btw, I created a JJP support ticket this weekend, but have not heard back yet. Due to time zone difference and the game being on a noisy location, I hope to find a solution without having to phone them. )

#2 5 years ago

Standard computer troubleshooting applies. Check all connectors on the motherboard. Reseat components such as video card and memory.

CPU is the processor, it's under the fan. They almost never fail. Motherboards are more likely to fail, there are far more things to go wrong.

#3 5 years ago

My first POTC didn’t boot. The backbox keys were stuck shorted against the subwoofer contacts. I opened the backbox and seated the connector in the bottom left.

One of these two things fixed it.

It is probably somthing simple!

1 week later
#4 5 years ago

For the record: We have now received from JJP a shortlist of possible causes, and a list of things to try in order to determine the actual one. Will update once we've had time to look at it again.

#5 5 years ago

My JJPOTC once went dead while I was just pulling it away from the wall to do some service. I lifted out the playfield and focused my attention to where the power cable connects. I removed the black plastic cover that covers where the three prong connects to the power on the machine. Inside, were two female connections that had pulled loose. Put them back on and the machine powered right up.

1 week later
#6 5 years ago

Update: The machine is back up and running again, after swapping the motherboard and CPU. We swapped both at the same time, so we don't know which of those was bad. Will test them separately later on the bench. The most important thing is that the game is back in business

1 week later
#7 5 years ago

Another update: We informed JJP that our game was back in business after changing the motherboard to a spare we had lying around, and they graciously offered to send us a new motherboard to have as spare, even though we are technically outside the warranty period for the motherboard. Excellent service, all in all.

(Oh, and POTC is absolutely killing it on our location. Huge hit with both regulars and newbies.)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-doesn-t-boot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.