Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by malkneil
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I'm having a problem with the Chest Lock (#6) switch on Pirates of the Caribbean. This is the switch that is back around the loop by the ball-lock post, not the opto-switches at the entrance. Originally it was only registering about 20% of hits. I was able to improve this to about 90% by fine-tuning the switch location and roller arm. The switch itself works great; the problem is that a slow rolling ball can sit against the switch without it registering. I have compared the switch pressure to other micro switches and it seems normal. The switch arm just seems to be too short to reliably detect the ball.

My main question is whether this is the best it can get, or are most people seeing this register 100% of the time. The ball never gets stuck, so the software accounts for the fact that that switch might not register.

1 week later
#2 8 years ago

Following up here in case anyone else has this problem...
The problem turned out to be a bad switch. The switch worked fine, but was harder to actuate than it should be. This POTC has a low number of plays and I've only had the game for a couple of months... so I don't know if it has always had this problem.

Note that in the POTC manual, page 92, it refers to this switch as "Light Actuation". The first replacement switch I got was listed as equivalent, but was not any easier to actuate than the installed/bad switch. When I ordered an actual part # 180-5119-02, it turned out to be significantly easier to actuate.

Much improved game play when the trunk registers hits reliably.

3 years later
#3 4 years ago
Quoted from KerryImming:

Following up here in case anyone else has this problem...
The problem turned out to be a bad switch. The switch worked fine, but was harder to actuate than it should be. This POTC has a low number of plays and I've only had the game for a couple of months... so I don't know if it has always had this problem.
Note that in the POTC manual, page 92, it refers to this switch as "Light Actuation". The first replacement switch I got was listed as equivalent, but was not any easier to actuate than the installed/bad switch. When I ordered an actual part # 180-5119-02, it turned out to be significantly easier to actuate.
Much improved game play when the trunk registers hits reliably.

Stumbled upon your post here. I just got a POTC with low plays and I'm experiencing what seems to be an identical issue. The K-E-Y hits seem to register but when you try and hit the chest for the HEART hits a lot of times it doesn't lock the ball and send out the back as it should -- it just comes rolling back out the front and seems to not register a hit. Is this what you were experiencing?

I found a part on Marco that appears to have the same PN:
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/180-5119-02

I'm wondering where you ordered yours and how much of a PITA is it to install?

Thanks much!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucaipa, CA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
€ 18.00
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

€ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 218.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-chest-lock-switch-not-100 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.