POTC Audio Clipping, Any Updates?

By harryhoudini

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I know we've talked about this a while back but not sure if there was ever any resolution. Now I'm starting to notice it much more, even not during gameplay getting intermittent audio clipping/stuttering. When there is no audio playing there is no sound coming out of the speakers so it's not like it's interference. I might isolate the audio board and toss in my own amp and see if that gives any indication of where the issue lies. The only modification I have right now to audio is the new line filter (which I have another of I can toss in just to compare) and have the aux audio unplugged for front headphone from the motherboard, I think that was Steve's suggestion a while back to joseph5185 and myself for testing.

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

I know we've talked about this a while back but not sure if there was ever any resolution. Now I'm starting to notice it much more, even not during gameplay getting intermittent audio clipping/stuttering. When there is no audio playing there is no sound coming out of the speakers so it's not like it's interference. I might isolate the audio board and toss in my own amp and see if that gives any indication of where the issue lies. The only modification I have right now to audio is the new line filter (which I have another of I can toss in just to compare) and have the aux audio unplugged for front headphone from the motherboard, I think that was Steve's suggestion a while back to joseph5185 and myself for testing.

Have you tried unplugging the headphone jack cable (black- 10 wires) on the motherboard side?

#3 4 years ago

This is the filter I used on my Pirates of the Caribbean with 100% success

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0171PQLB8

#4 4 years ago

harryhoudini I suspect the clipping is the ground loop filter in the right side of the backbox. I would experiment with changing that out with another one and see if the audio characteristics change.

I'd run without it entirely as an experiment too. (I predict audio quality will increase, but will be accompanied by ground loop hum and chatter noise)

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Tomb_n_Arrow:

Have you tried unplugging the headphone jack cable (black- 10 wires) on the motherboard side?

Already unplugged, something Steve suggested a long time ago, never plugged it back in.

Quoted from CVeRiTy:

This is the filter I used on my Pirates of the Caribbean with 100% success
amazon.com link »

Was that for audio clipping or for noise/hum/popping? I don't believe ground loop isolators deal with clipping at all. But I already have replaced the ones in my JJP games.

Quoted from zaphX:

harryhoudini I suspect the clipping is the ground loop filter in the right side of the backbox. I would experiment with changing that out with another one and see if the audio characteristics change.
I'd run without it entirely as an experiment too. (I predict audio quality will increase, but will be accompanied by ground loop hum and chatter noise)

Yeah, way past that kind of simple fix sadly. It seems more like a digital sound delivery issue, very similar to what I've experienced in the past with slow computers playing games, etc. I'm gonna swap out the ground loop isolator for another new one I have (grabbed a few from amazon when I was replacing them in the past) just to rule that out but I have the same replacement one in my woz without issue.

#6 4 years ago

Try paying attention to when it’s occurring - during callouts, sound effects (like when you hit a target), or music. Then turn down the corresponding menu item. Or just turn down all 3 a couple notches. All of my JJP pins have had a little clipping on default settings

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Try paying attention to when it’s occurring - during callouts, sound effects (like when you hit a target), or music. Then turn down the corresponding menu item. Or just turn down all 3 a couple notches. All of my JJP pins have had a little clipping on default settings

I'll mess around with the other ground loop isolator and the levels and see if I can get any change to happen. The clipping seems more repetitive/consistent versus specific to a sound type but I'll actually pay close attention and see if I can determine and adjust volume levels.

1 month later
#8 4 years ago

For anyone following along at home, this resolved it!

#9 4 years ago

That's a pretty crazy/awesome find!

Does JJP provide schematics/pinout? I was curious what that pin is supposed to be for..?

#10 4 years ago

I will have to give this a watch at home tonight!

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

That's a pretty crazy/awesome find!
Does JJP provide schematics/pinout? I was curious what that pin is supposed to be for..?

It's a standard motherboard header/pinout I'm pretty sure, F_AUDIO. They show the motherboard and the pinouts they use but they only label 3 of them. Looks like it's labeled as pin 7 for an I/O sensor. These are all for "front panel" connections on a PC which would be on the front of the case.

WHY it causes this behavior is an interesting question..

https://i.imgur.com/yF5D9.jpg

2 months later
#12 3 years ago

Just curious if this fix turned out to be “permanent”?

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Just curious if this fix turned out to be “permanent”?

If it resolves the problem without any loss of functionality, which it seems to do for affected people...why wouldn’t it be?

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

If it resolves the problem without any loss of functionality, which it seems to do for affected people...why wouldn’t it be?

Ok, let me rephrase.... after 70 days did this fix permanently resolve the problem without any loss of functionality?

2 years later
#16 1 year ago

I know this post is 2 years old but for some reason I removed that pin and I’m still having a clipping issue which never happened since I owned it from 2018

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 38.00
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
29,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-audio-clipping-any-updates and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.