• 17 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by duff001
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

hello,

I own a machine for a few days and there is a shrill (strident) sound when I play ...

It's often appears after the first ship sunk (interceptor) and it seems that his arrival at the same time as the tentacle in the control panel ...

This is normal?

Thanks!

Duff

#2 10 years ago

I played one on location not too long ago and when I hit certain shots it made a crazy squawk noise. it struck me as a software issue. there is no way that the game was designed to do that.

#3 10 years ago

It's the knocker, but in these era of games, it's a software sound (very bad one), instead of an actual mechanical solenoid type knocker..

#4 10 years ago

Yeah, I'd assume it's the replay "knocker" as well. Horrid noise.

#5 10 years ago

If you can deactivate the knocker in the adjustments menu and the sound is gone, you will have your answer. I think it's supposed to sound like the Krakken and is annoying.

#6 10 years ago

Wow, and I thought the normal knocker was obnoxious!

#7 10 years ago

The kraken also makes a pretty intense noise as well, so if you beat that he shrills and such

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinmeister:

If you can deactivate the knocker in the adjustments menu and the sound is gone, you will have your answer. I think it's supposed to sound like the Krakken and is annoying.

I will perform the test tonight and get back.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from duff001:

I will perform the test tonight and get back.

I turned off the knocker and the shrill sound seems left ...

What is the reason ... Is this is the normal sound of knocker for POTC or there is something broken?

#10 10 years ago

All newer Stern games make that horrible noise, it is normal. Your two options are to turn it off, or install an old school knocker. There are post about that here and it is pretty east to do.

Slightly off topic.......does anyone know what JJP is using for a knocker? Is it also terrible?

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from loppydog:

Slightly off topic.......does anyone know what JJP is using for a knocker? Is it also terrible?

They are using a standard knocker, however, it is located in the main cabinet, not the backbox. It's in the same spot that DE/Sega put theirs....it strikes the wood piece behind the coin box, and it isn't all that loud.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from duff001:

I turned off the knocker and the shrill sound seems left ...

Hard to tell without a video (with audio). Can you tell the difference between the sound the Kraken makes when he dies and what you are hearing? What volume level are you at? Is your volume increasing on it's own? That's a known problem. If you can put a video on youtube, that will help a lot.

In the meantime, you could try a factory reset. If your software is old, you should update the software. Software and manual available on Stern's website.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Hard to tell without a video (with audio). Can you tell the difference between the sound the Kraken makes when he dies and what you are hearing? What volume level are you at? Is your volume increasing on it's own? That's a known problem. If you can put a video on youtube, that will help a lot.
In the meantime, you could try a factory reset. If your software is old, you should update the software. Software and manual available on Stern's website.

Stridant sound is the same sound when I test the "knocker" in the diagnostic menu.

The default volume of the "knocker" is normal.

The "knocker" sound comes from the speaker of the backbox.

Sofware version is 6.0

I'll try to film everything

#14 10 years ago

just set knocker volume to low in the settings. Much better.

#15 10 years ago

The knocker is designed to draw attention from all around a noisy environment. I know the same sound from a BBH I play occasionally.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from MattElder:

They are using a standard knocker

Thanks for the info!

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from duff001:

Stridant sound is the same sound when I test the "knocker" in the diagnostic menu.
The default volume of the "knocker" is normal.
The "knocker" sound comes from the speaker of the backbox.
Sofware version is 6.0
I'll try to film everything

Finally, I made a video and send it at Stern Pinball...

Answer: The sound is correct (normal)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Medford, NJ
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 218.00
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

€ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucaipa, CA
€ 18.00
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-a-shrill-sound and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.