(Topic ID: 14110)

Posting CL deals. Yay or nay

By the_pin_family

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“To post or not to post, that is the question.Posting killer CL deals on the forums, yay or nay”

• Your going to screw someone's deal. I say NAY. 57 votes
      59%
    • Your going to do more good than harm. I say YAY . 40 votes
      41%

(97 votes)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrwizzo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#23 12 years ago

Two ideologies: one is looking out for others; the other is looking out for oneself. Since there less probability that any particular ad is going to affect any individual seeker, disseminate away. I write this having been frustrated on at least one occasion that this worked against me.

#45 12 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

Not true at all. In your "looking out for oneself" scenario, someone has a shot at a game for a great price. In your "looking out for others" scenario, nobody gets a game at all.

In the process of looking out for one person, you are actually screwing another.

Yelper:

Again it seems that you depend on extreme examples, and that someone has to be blamed. Others have posted some good arguments that should be considered for not posting.

For example, last week a friend recently picked up an AFM for 5600 because another pinhead in the area let him know directly that he found it on CL. Had it been posted, surely I would have tried to jump on it as well as many others. In this case, it is a real world example of how it can be beneficial not to post. I am glad he got the game, and at the same time, I wish I would have had a shot at it.

Being new to the board, I have posted a CL ad because several posted that they were looking for the game in the ad. I wasn't aware of the sensitivities that some have on this. Now that I am better informed, I probably would follow the example of my friends above.

But I wouldn't be dogmatic about it.

Dan

#47 12 years ago
    Quoted from bigdaddy07:

There's pins for sale on CL? Really? I haven't seen anything like that in quite some time. I guess I'll need to check that out.

If you get one, maybe Rommy can set up shipping!

Dan

#48 12 years ago
    Quoted from bigdaddy07:

There's pins for sale on CL? Really? I haven't seen anything like that in quite some time. I guess I'll need to check that out.

If you get one, maybe Rommy can set up shipping!

Dan

#52 12 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

I say yes. If someone got a HS2 for $500 off of CL in California, that's a steal worth talking about.

Kwiki,

Unless I am, I think you may be misunderstanding. It is not about whether to make known a good find you have bought, but whether posting info re a current CL ad is detrimental to interested buyers.

Dan

#60 12 years ago
    Quoted from FlipperMagician:

Too many people are too quick to look for someone else to blame for their own misfortune...just deal with it.

That is the bottom line. Nicely said. I would bet that there is a direct correlation between a person assigning blame and their inability to accept personal responsibility. Kind of self evident.

Dan

#70 12 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

What about this scenario. What about a scenario where a pinsider was the first caller and was promised a great deal on a pin, but the seller wouldn't let them pick it up for a couple days. Then, another pinsider for the good of all pinsiders posts the deal. One day after the deal is posted, and one day before the pinsider was suppose to pick up the game the seller backs out and states that around the time it was posted on pinside they got bombarded and have changed their mind.

Post, don't post, you are going to do what you want anyway. But to think for a second that your helping anyone is illogical. Of course it can happen, but the vast majority of the time you are exposing the deal to people who will kill it.

If a person knows someone is pursuing the game and does it anyway, then that person is really a putz.

Although not an unreasonable example you give above, for me at least it calls into question the integrity of the seller more than whether generating additional interest creates a problem. It could be argued that the additional interest generated sways the seller into hand-wringing greed, but who can know that?

This nonsense is not confined only to CL. If you have a minute, read my post on "What would you have done?" a recent experience with a hoser selling a FH here and on RGP. In the initial conversation, I had a red flag and expected the other shoe to drop, and sure enough it did. He did the exact thing he said he wouldn't do.

If a person lacks integrity, they will create their own justification for their action, so I am unsure that any approach protects against that. Such a person needs no encouragement.

As far as being illogical, that seems an invalid objection as there are cases cited where it has been helpful, so this again is a bit of an extreme desiring to make your point. Maybe you chose the wrong word. I am trying to be constructively critical, not belittle or attack you. The majority of "always" and "never" statements are false. Much of the issues in the world are grey as this one is. I wish we all had the security of things always being black and white, but we don't.

People are people. Chances are if you and I did a deal, it would go off without a hitch. I know I don't fit the above category (sadly, I have had to learn from past mistakes which have taught me greater concern for integrity), and despite often airing opinions that counter my thinking, I doubt you do either.

As I said earlier, this thread has influenced my thinking as I am now more aware of what can happen, but I am not going to be dogmatic about it or insist that others do the same. There will be other pins to be had, and other arguments to consider.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrwizzo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/posting-cl-deals-yay-or-nay?tu=mrwizzo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.