(Topic ID: 14110)

Posting CL deals. Yay or nay

By the_pin_family

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“To post or not to post, that is the question.Posting killer CL deals on the forums, yay or nay”

• Your going to screw someone's deal. I say NAY. 57 votes
      59%
    • Your going to do more good than harm. I say YAY . 40 votes
      41%

(97 votes)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jalpert.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 12 years ago

No way. If the deal is good, by the time you post the seller has 10+ calls. Good deals get pounced on immediately. However, if you post and then seller gets 100 calls in addition to the origial 10+ it could very well kill the deal.

It can't help, it can only hurt.

#24 12 years ago

I highly doubt this. You are saying, that a smoking deal was posted to craigslist, then posted about on pinside. Then, someone on pinside saw the deal, called and got it at the advertised price? it's damn near impossible. There is no way the pinsider was first, and after being posted to pinside the persons responses will increase at least 10 times.

When people from all over the country start trying to buy the item, the seller wises up and the deal is gone for everyone.

Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

It works both ways Pinsiders have also gotten pins because of such posts.

#25 12 years ago

For every person who is registered and participating in this site, there are 100's of lurkers. You are potentially blowing a deal to help a bunch of lurkers, not pinsiders.

Post away if you know of a deal that can help other Pinsiders out that your not interested.

#27 12 years ago

No man, your not lying, but your situation has nothing to do with the topic. You're friend didn't get the deal because it was posted on pinside, he got the deal because you knew the seller. So, I guess I misunderstood what you said.

What we are talking about here are smoking craigslist deals being posted to pinside. By the time it's posted, the seller already has a ton of responses. Even after it's posted, you are helping out a ton of lurkers and only a very small handful of "pinsiders". Then the seller gets messages from all around the world, people offering more money etc and nobody gets the deal.

es that is exactly what I am saying and it went to an active Pinside member. Others were interested but since I gave the seller a heads up that this is a serious buyer that knows his stuff the seller met with him first. No reason to lie and would be willing to bet most Pinsiders would take my word for it over yours. Just sayin.

#28 12 years ago

Not true at all. In your "looking out for oneself" scenario, someone has a shot at a game for a great price. In your "looking out for others" scenario, nobody gets a game at all.

In the process of looking out for one person, you are actually screwing another.

Quoted from MrWizzo:

Two ideologies: one is looking out for others; the other is looking out for oneself. Since there less probability that any particular ad is going to affect any individual seeker, disseminate away. I write this having been frustrated on at least one occasion that this worked against me.

#68 12 years ago

You can keep citing the exception, that one time where posting on piside indirectly helped someone. You inferred that it happens all the time, it doesn't.

Actually he got the pin because I posted it on Pinside otherwise he would not have known about it. The incident resulted in me meeting two very cool Pinsiders in my area so I am glad that I posted it. Either way it is clear I will not sway your opinion and you will not sway mine so got to go to each their own on this one. If I see a great deal that I am not interested in I wouldn't hesitate to post it here for others.

It works both ways Pinsiders have also gotten pins because of such posts

I thought that's what the thread was about. Games that are insanely cheap. If the price is fair, the ad is goofy, the game is overpriced, whatever are not what we are talking about. Post away.

Quoted from MrWizzo:

Again it seems that you depend on extreme examples,

What about this scenario. What about a scenario where a pinsider was the first caller and was promised a great deal on a pin, but the seller wouldn't let them pick it up for a couple days. Then, another pinsider for the good of all pinsiders posts the deal. One day after the deal is posted, and one day before the pinsider was suppose to pick up the game the seller backs out and states that around the time it was posted on pinside they got bombarded and have changed their mind.

Post, don't post, you are going to do what you want anyway. But to think for a second that your helping anyone is illogical. Of course it can happen, but the vast majority of the time you are exposing the deal to people who will kill it.

#72 12 years ago

I agree. Unfortunately, it seems more and more that sellers aren't keeping to their word. I found a decent craigslist deal, and they accepted my paypal over the phone. Their word was one thing, but once you take money the deal is done. Long story short, they run a boho auction anyway and end up with a couple hundred more. My price was actually pretty fair, since their auction didn't yield much more money, the game was pretty rough, needed board work etc. I actually had to fight to get all my money back.

Quoted from MrWizzo:

Although not an unreasonable example you give above, for me at least it calls into question the integrity of the seller more than whether generating additional interest creates a problem.

Just one so far, and there are always exceptions.

Quoted from MrWizzo:

As far as being illogical, that seems an invalid objection as there are cases cited where it has been helpful

In the end, yes, it takes a crappy seller to screw you out of a deal. But when the phone rings non stop, they then think they are sitting on gold and that's when the silliness begins.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jalpert.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/posting-cl-deals-yay-or-nay?tu=jalpert and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.